Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,201 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:50 AM

Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. (40464 Views)

Tasha Cobbs’ #heartpassionpursuit Album Hits No.1 On Billboard Charts / Davido's "IF" Finally Debuts On Billboard / D'banj Was The First Nigerian Artist To Be Featured On The Billboard Charts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by bakynes(m): 3:47pm On Jun 19, 2016
deepthougths:

How come we dnt know you? Shey u be yoruba?

Stewpid...!
Fool stay your lane
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by SaffronSpice: 3:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
quickly:

sade adu probably did... dont know 4 sure
Alongside her band members,she did with Sweetest Taboo & Smooth Operator.

But lets keep her out of the discourse since she doesn't stay in Nigeria.

I'll love to see if there's any Nigerian artiste who lives and releases his music here who has made it that far.
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Cybertext(m): 4:00pm On Jun 19, 2016
@Op I would have preferred Seal and Sade Adu to grace the list, but Seal's more of a British than a Nigerian, though he's won Four Grammy and other numerous awards ... his song Kiss from a rose Topped the Billboard charts for weeks

Sade Adu on the other hand was born in Nigeria and her song Sweetest Taboo has also top the Billboard chart for several weeks with one Grammy to her series of awards
Cc Naptu2

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Lucky4real28(m): 4:04pm On Jun 19, 2016
Kiss Daniel recently debuted on billboard
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by KingJahzmineKing(m): 4:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
wizyhuma:
We are great people am not surprised
i smell yorubaism here...but yes we are really great and 8azz should....ssshhh!!!
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by redcliff: 4:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
sarzy:
Almost all are Yorubas! Only one biafrauud. We lead, others follow.

Bigotry personified!
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Chuksemi(m): 4:17pm On Jun 19, 2016
This post is informative. I am motivated to screen my playlist now.
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by GentlemanUnltd: 4:17pm On Jun 19, 2016
MoneyGreen:
lol.. Na Gbaramatu grin

Which of the refinery for gbaramatu? the one make avengers don bomb or another they inside creek unknown to the average eyes?
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by teabully(m): 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
TeamSimple:
Why nairaland boring today like this?
naa so e dey be for sundays
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by SonofDevil: 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2016
tyhgfrdeswscbhf:

Sorry who is wole Soyinka ... I don't even kW any of his novels...dispute d fact that great chinue Achebe is dead but he still outshine wole Soyinka...ask secondary school student dey tell u dey don't kW who Soyinka is...but dey all kW Achebe... Abeg Yoruba people time of propaganda is over..igbo people are greater Dan u people in all aspect bye

Achebe the local champ.

Wole soyinka achievement home and international dwarf his achievements.
Wole soyinka has the biggest award no igbo man or woman has ever won in their history..

Wole won the yoruba nation a noble laureate award the biggest award for a literature writer in the planet.

Sade adu,Babatunde and soji adepoju won yoruba nations 3 grammy awards within themselves.

No igboman dead or alive has ever taste a grammy award

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by akinbayoabayom(m): 4:41pm On Jun 19, 2016
Yoruba artistes been ruling d music world since ages , Proudly omo oduduwa

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by skypopson(m): 4:52pm On Jun 19, 2016
This list is far from complete.
Even Baba Hafusa by Reminisce debuted at number 13 on the billboard chart.
You've gotta do a thorough research before posting biko..
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Ghost01(m): 5:14pm On Jun 19, 2016
OP, it is not Billboard Magazine that releases the Official UK Single's Chart, it is the Official Charts Company. So D'Banj's Oliver Twist did not make the Billboard single's chart. Get your facts right!
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by mercyville: 5:17pm On Jun 19, 2016
Ferdinandu:
I doff my hat for my Brethrens from Ewedu and Amala Republic. They just populated the list. grin grin grin
Yes ooo,always beating the goons from akpu and oha republic grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by villareal15(m): 5:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
magicminister:

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.
BILL BOARD WORLD MUSIC CHART IS DIFFERENT FROM BILLBOARD TOP 100.
THE TOP 100 CHART IS WEHRE THE CREME D LA CREME AT.
MATTER OF FACT, NO NIGERIAN ARTISTE HAS EVER MADE IT TO THE TOP 100 CHART.

God bless you my brother. Too much ignorance on this forum. We are talking HOT 100 Op talking about world album chat.
Meanwhile One dance "climed all the way up to no1 and has been for weeks now.
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by mercyville: 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
SonofDevil:

Achebe the local champ.

Wole soyinka achievement home and international dwarf his achievements.
Wole soyinka has the biggest award no igbo man or woman has ever won in their history..

Wole won the yoruba nation a noble laureate award the biggest award for a literature writer in the planet.

Sade adu,Babatunde and soji adepoju won yoruba nations 3 grammy awards within themselves.

No igboman dead or alive has ever taste a grammy award
grin lol...yorubas have won more than 10 grammy awards through 5 yorubas and the akpu and oha republic has not won half or even a quarter grin

https://www.nairaland.com/3074918/5-nigerians-never-knew-won

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by scholes0(m): 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2016
donkross1:

Tell me which one of those people you mentioned can boast that his/her wealth has no connection with oil money or government. Which one of them is self made? I can tell you at least 5 igbo millionaires that are tyre distributors, transport service owners n so on.

I no be igbo boy ooh but I hate it when yorubas think they are better than the rest.

Are they not?
Of course they are.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by mercyville: 5:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
scholes0:

Are they not?
Of course they are.
Are you not a real omoluabi?It pains me when you said that. cry
It is only because the akpu and oha republic beat their chests and claimed they are better than everybody else that most of us young ones are on here proving that they are not even near the yorubas talkless of being better.YORUBAS HAD NEVER DELIBERATELY CLAIMED TO BE BETTER THAN ANY TRIBE except if some mouths are run...if you know what I mean.
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Akjr(m): 5:44pm On Jun 19, 2016
HardMirror:
Very informative. Don't know why everyone is hyping wizkid, he is trying but he aint a legend yet. Being featured by american acts is fantastic for his career, but it's not a statement that he would be a music icon of academic or historical relevance.
Sunny ade,
Fela,
Sikiru adepoju,
Victor owiafo,
Raskimo,
Onyeka owenu
And maybe Tu face, are the real Nigerian icons.
for wizkid to b among list of legends, x a star for dat
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by SageTravels: 6:07pm On Jun 19, 2016
sarzy:

Yorubas leading in the first century and still leading in the 21st century.

Yoruba may be leading. How far about you. Bro. How many of your songs chart for Billboard
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 19, 2016
SageTravels:

Yoruba may be leading. How far about you. Bro. How many of your songs chart for Billboard

Lol
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Hafyz23(m): 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
sarzy:

I said almost all are Yorubas, so what's not true in that? Tuface is not a biafrauud nah
Yup. You're right.
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by popesam1(m): 6:57pm On Jun 19, 2016
Faremisodeeq:
. COLO MENTALITY. I mean says you be colonial man but you never release yourself.
The thing wey black no good, na foreign thing dem dey like, dem go turn air condition and close dem country away no be so, dem judge go put wig and jail hin brother away no be so
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Faremisodeeq(m): 9:21pm On Jun 19, 2016
popesam1:

The thing wey black no good, na foreign thing dem dey like, dem go turn air condition and close dem country away no be so, dem judge go put wig and jail hin brother away no be so
e bi so. Mr. Ransome make u here, Mr Williams make u here. Thats wats killing nigeria musicians and their fans
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Osisie(m): 12:41am On Jun 20, 2016
HardMirror:
Very informative. Don't know why everyone is hyping wizkid, he is trying but he aint a legend yet. Being featured by american acts is fantastic for his career, but it's not a statement that he would be a music icon of academic or historical relevance.
Sunny ade,
Fela,
Sikiru adepoju,
Victor owiafo,
Raskimo,
Onyeka owenu
And maybe Tu face, are the real Nigerian icons.

Where's Asa?
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by Pelaiye2703(m): 5:47am On Jun 20, 2016
These are the real artist or musicians anything you can relate it too. I hate listening to poo from this overrated noise makers (Olamide, lil kesh etc.) I know some scum will rant over their role model....#icareless
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by popesam1(m): 8:04am On Jun 20, 2016
Faremisodeeq:
e bi so. Mr. Ransome make u here, Mr Williams make u here. Thats wats killing nigeria musicians and their fans

Yes oo I concur
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by DrinkWater10: 12:55pm On Jun 20, 2016
quickly:

wizkid one dance with drake got to no1.....that one dance is going make wizkid a multi millionaire
How do you mean?
Wizkid was featured alongside Uhuru, Sarz on the beats and kyla too.
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by SONIA54320(f): 7:55pm On Jun 20, 2016
oh i didn't know nigeria had billboard charts but the only one ik of is one dance so why lie when anybody can check them
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by YOLO1(m): 1:35am On Jun 21, 2016
Where is small doctor?
Re: Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. by naptu2: 7:35am On Jun 21, 2016
SaffronSpice:

I think he was able to achieve that feat because the song was released in Europe.
I don't even think he was living in Nigeria when he did the song,so I personally wouldn't consider him the only Nigerian to have had a song on the Hot 100 Chart.
It's like Ghanians/Ivorians claiming such, due to the success of Nico & Vinz.

I will love to see a Nigerian artiste who stays in Nigeria and releases his songs in Nigeria on the chart.

Now, that'll be something.

Virtually all the people on that list were based abroad at the time that they featured on the charts and there's one reason for that - promotion.

Billboard has charts in various genres of music and different methods of consuming/purchasing music. The genres include, pop, hip hop, world music, rock, R&B, etc and the methods of consuming music include downloads, airplay, CD single sales, CD album sales, Twitter, YouTube, etc. The Hot 100 chart is a chart of singles from the different genres and methods of purchasing music, while the 200 album chart reflects the position of albums, regardless of their genre and method of purchase.

The data that is used in determining ranking is sourced primarily from the United States. This means that the airplay chart reflects how many times the songs are played on radio stations in the United States, the album sales chart reflects the number of times the album is sold in the US, etc. They don't reflect the number of times the song is played on Joy FM in Ghana or Raypower in Nigeria.

Therefore, the songs must be heavily promoted in the United States and this costs a huge amount of money and requires that the artist spends some time in the US.

Music promotion involves interviews on US radio and tv stations, concerts in the US, getting on air personalities on US radio stations to play the songs, etc.

It's not really about the quality of the song (of course it has to be above a certain quality), but the amount of effort and money you spend in promoting it (nigerian record companies don't have the money and contacts to run a proper promotion campaign in the US).

Michael Jackson was angry with Sony Music executives because he believed that they did not invest enough in promoting his Invincible album (released in 2001). The album contained a lot of really great songs, but they didn't do well on the charts (unlike his other albums). Sony Music didn't invest as much money in promoting it as they did with his other albums, because they felt that Jackson's child molestation scandals had hurt his brand and that he was past his prime. (I remember that they had erected giant statues of Michael in major cities around the world when they were promoting his History album).

Dr Alban's It's My Life got to number 88 on the Hot 100 chart in 1992, but it was not his best song. Hello Africa (1990) was a huge hit across Europe and Africa and was a minor hit in the US (part of the video was shot on Ikorodu Road in Lagos). This encouraged his record company to promote his next single (It's My Life) in the US and it got into the Hot 100. His other songs, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and Hallelujah Day (in my opinion) are better than It's MY Life, but they didn't do well on the charts because his former record company had moved on by then and he released those songs on his own labe, Dr Records.

Babatunde Olatunji was born in Lagos, but he moved to the US in 1950 (to attend Moorehouse College). He had already started teaching African drums at universities in the US and had been signed by Columbia Records before he appeared on the charts. He collaborated with famous. US musicians like Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder, Cannonball Adderley and Mickey Hart. He was mentioned in one of Bob Dylan's songs and Carlos Santana covered one of his songs on his (Santana's) very first album. So it's no suprise that he featured on the charts again.

Sikiru Adepoju is descended from a long line of traditional drummers. He also played the talking drum for Ebenezer Obey. None of these brought him fame in the US. He went to the US in 1985 to understudy nigerian musicians like Babatunde Olatunji and Orlando Julius (who were based in the US at the time). That's when he became famous and appeared on the charts. Babatunde Olatunji introduced him to his famous friends like Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann.

Sunny Ade spent most of 1983 in the US promoting his Syncro System album, so it's no surprise that it appeared on the chart.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti had just returned from a tour of the US when he was arrested at the Murtala Muhammad Airport in 1984 or 1985. He went on another tour of the US in 1986 to promote his Beast Of No Nations album and that's when he had that concert in Detroit. It was a recording of the Detroit concert that got on the Billboard chart.

Asa spends most of her time in France and the US. She is signed to Naïve Records in France and BMG Music in the US (BMG is now part of Sony Music), who promote her music in Europe and the US respectively.

We all know that one of the things that led to a split between D'Banj and Don Jazzy was the fact that D'Banj wanted them to move to the US to work with Kanye West in order to break into the US market, while Don Jazzy wanted them to stay in Nigeria to consolidate their hold on the African market.

2Face's African Queen made a minor impact in the US (featuring on a Hollywood movie) because Kenny Ogungbe took him to the US in 2003/2004 to meet US record executives and promote the album. He went to the US again to promote his Ascension album and this was when he appeared on Monique's show.

Wizkid appeared on the chart because Drake is an already established act in the US. We can see that Drake, who is Canadian, has had to spend considerable amount of time in the US in order to promote his music there. Ditto for Celine Dion. Craig David also had to move to Los Angeles at a point in time, in order to promote his music in the US.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that a Nigerian artist would need to spend considerable amount of time in the US promoting his music and have distribution deals or be signed on to US record companies, in order to make it into the charts. This is because it is primarily a US chart.

Dr Alban - Hello Afrika (1990).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYImEf_-km0

Dr Alban - Hallelujah Day (1996).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7fgGWkYoY

Dr Alban ft Michael Rose - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1997).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTJ3LQ8TrM

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

R.kelly Mind Blowing Performance At The Voice Surprise Blind Audition Gone Viral / Davido Wins Big At AFRIMA 2018: Full List Of Winners / MP3 Download: Davido – Sweet In The Middle Ft. Naira Marley, Zlatan Ibile, Wurld

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.