Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Yoruba Greetings In Romadhan -must Read - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Yoruba Greetings In Romadhan -must Read (4268 Views)

Something You Must Know About Islamic Greetings / Responding To The Greetings Of A Parrot Or Phone Ringing? / Greetings In Islam: Etiquette Of Saying Salam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Greetings In Romadhan -must Read by PrinceGallant: 11:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
Have you ever pondered over the Yoruba way of giving compliments to each other during the sacred month of Romadhan? They are the ways of revealing ingratitude and not being pleased with Allah's ordainment but little do we know.
Imagine some words like:"emi wa o r'eyin osu", what does this connote? It means that we will have victory over our enemy which is Romadhan -Audhubillah.

"Ri eyin" means to see the fall, to overcome, to defeat, to kill etc. But we all know that it is only our enemy that we pray that "emi mi ni o r'eyin re". Yoruba know how they use their words very well, they never say something like that to the one or thing they love or admire, they use it for someone or something that they deem it is seeking their falls or end. Thus, they will pray that such person will not overcome them and they will be the one that will eventually win it.

"Emi o r'eyin osu", simply means that "it is our souls that we overcome the antagonizing month". Are we fighting with the month? Does the month come to kill us or fight us? Why this greetings? We need to ponder on it and make some corrections.
As far as I know, it is only when there is competition, feud, or two groups are flexing muscles that such prayer like "emi o ri eyin" come up. Each opposing party will pray that I will live to celebrate your end. It is like APC and PDP are contesting for a political office, each one will say "awa la ri eyin won" This greeting was a way of kuffaar to make jest of Muslims for abstaining their foods, drinks and their sexual life. To the kuffaar, Romadhan comes to kill muslims with hunger and takes away their pleasures. They regard it as enemy or they see Muslims as if they were punishing themselves -Audhubillah. Hence, when they see Muslims they say "emi yin ni o r'eyin osu".

Can anyone just cite an example of Yoruba greetings that says "emi o r'eyin" and it is not referring to enemy or an opposing entity? Why do we indirectly refer to what come to give us benefits our foe? It is because we take to kuffaar greetings and we have established it as if it was the normal and reasonable way. Take another instance, "a ku atilo", what does that mean? that the burden is getting away. What burden are they referring to? Romadhan: Audhubillahi. If you grew up in village, ghetto, or you were with your grandparents at your childhood, you will understand the meaning of "a ku atilo, emi o r'eyin osu, a ku ongbe". If "ri eyin" was beauty, it would be used in "new year". Have you ever heard "a ku odun tuntun, emi o r"eyin re" It is better say, "Taqoballahu mini, wa minka", and I say it to you all: "taqoballahu mini waminkum"

Additionally, "a ku ongbe" or "eku ongbe" are all abnormal ways of greeting each other. I do not need to expatiate much on this, it is just for us all to look into the etymology of the words. Some will boldly say "e ku ongbe, emi o bori osu", what a greetings! May God guide us all. It is not "eku" that is defective but "atilo", kinni a n ti lo? Romadhan, audhubillah. Hence, it can be summarily surmised that yorubas are being happy as Romadhan is going to end, is it a burden? Though not all who greet so know the intrinsic meaning, many people do not mean it but it means it. “A ku ise lada” is good and better.

In conclusion, it is good to correct or put a stop to what is abnormal, and it is worse to continue with what is bad. But I know some people will be adamant and remain incorrigible as to take heed to this observation, they will say that's how our forefathers have been saying and we shall contine with it. La ikra'a fi diini, no compulsion in this religion.

As'salam alaikum. A ku odun awe, Olohun o gba ijosin wa. (Aamin).

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Greetings In Romadhan -must Read by Newnas(m): 10:34am On Jun 21, 2016
Abi oo, atilo as if Ramadan is a burden that they are desperate to offload.
Re: Yoruba Greetings In Romadhan -must Read by Blazinraj01(f): 6:08am On Jun 28, 2016
Subhanallah. Muslims of today. What an interpretation!
May Allah guide us aright.
Re: Yoruba Greetings In Romadhan -must Read by abdussalam(m): 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2016
Well, I understand 'emi a ri eyin osu' to mean: May we live beyond the month. I don't know what you're talking about.

This notion of yours is like those who don't like saying kirun or se aluwala and decide to create their perceptive meanings to such Yoruba words. On the topic, lol (I hope you don't have a special meaning other than 'laughing out loud').

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Eid Al Fitr Moon Sighted In UAE And Saudi Arabia [PICTURED] / Ruling On Selling Posters And Frames Of Qur’aanic Verses / Eid-el-fitr 1439: Thread To Wish Your Loved Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.