Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) (17006 Views)

Universities Charging Above N2,000 For Post-utme Must Refund Excess To Students, / Five Good Reasons Why Post Utme Should Not Be Scrapped / Why Post-ume Test Must Stay: An Impressive Throwback Comment From Ui Former Vc. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by ohzee(f): 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2016
lonelydora:
I have been expecting this counter thread since and thank God it is without bias. Post-UME is fraud personified. How can someone score very high but because of the nonsense they call VC's list, special candidate, state of origin, he/she won't get the admission? The earlier they scrap it, the better for students.

UNN's Post UME is filled with fraud.

I agree that Post UME should be scrapped. However be informed that those lists also existed before post UME. You even forgot "friends of the university" Lol. Once the school is done with first and second merit lists based on their course cut off points, the rest is a scramble.

1 Like

Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by FagsamPHP(m): 5:39pm On Jun 20, 2016
k
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Diye: 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2016
The reason why PUTME can not be scrapped easily is that, schools will want to conduct their screening test by themselves, instead of allowing another exam body(JAMB) to do it for them. Secondly, the number of students that apply and pass JAMB cut-off marks are far greater than the number of students schools would want to admit for that academic session.

Scrapping PUTME would not solve admission problem, rather it will make the situation worst.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by neocortex: 5:48pm On Jun 20, 2016
virginboy1:
Nigeria with so many examination process just to study mediocrity.
You know ghana is not that far.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by neocortex: 5:49pm On Jun 20, 2016
dalynch:
L.p. God bless u .post utme must go. The model of present jamb I.e d cbt. is more than enough to check nd screen the student.
Why are you scared of post-UTME ?
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by adrusa: 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2016
The death of post-UTME means that all those candidates with JAMB scores around 200 have zero chance of University admission. With the way post-UTME was organized in some schools including UI, such students may get admitted if their performance in Post-UTME is good. Now, that chance is gone. Only a high score can get you into a university.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 5:56pm On Jun 20, 2016
Topmaike007:
bro are you in school
Yeah.. I'm in life's school
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by khadaffi(m): 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2016
lonelydora:
I have been expecting this counter thread since and thank God it is without bias. Post-UME is fraud personified. How can someone score very high but because of the nonsense they call VC's list, special candidate, state of origin, he/she won't get the admission? The earlier they scrap it, the better for students.

It is one of the biggest fraud in universities. But you have to be a worker in some top department to know the level of fraud in PUME. If not for the fact that I'm busy I probably would have written this counter thread. I laughed when I saw that thread on why PUME should be retained. It is either the dude who wrote that thread is ignorant or he is a beneficiary to the rotten system he was trying to defend. May god bless this OP.

3 Likes

Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by nkemjacob2(m): 6:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
If we do not remove corruption from our education system, which is d bed rock of our society. we cant eliminate corruption in d wider socierty.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Handsomecole(m): 6:25pm On Jun 20, 2016
Wonderful, write up.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by alexis007(m): 6:25pm On Jun 20, 2016
lonelydora:

Bro....so PUME is the reason why there exist such things as VC's list, federal character principle, ELDS principle in determining who gets admission and who doesn't

Simply put...I'm not impressed. Dig deeper please.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 6:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
adrusa:
The death of post-UTME means that all those candidates with JAMB scores around 200 have zero chance of University admission. With the way post-UTME was organized in some schools including UI, such students may get admitted if their performance in Post-UTME is good. Now, that chance is gone. Only a high score can get you into a university.

And that is why JAMB wanted to start redistribution of students, so that students with average scores won't rot away studying rubbish in their preferred institutions.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by rexbuton: 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2016
alexis007:
Bro....so PUME is the reason why there exist such things as VC's list, federal character principle, ELDS principle in determining who gets admission and who doesn't

Simply put...I'm not impressed. Dig deeper please.

Post UME makes it easy to carry out such activities. Far easier
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by alexis007(m): 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2016
Screening is about the coolest thing right now till JAMB finds her feet.

Op...Respects for an article well written. The only thing lacking was the timeliness. You can't be advocating for such in a year when JAMB was fraught with so much irregularities.

Right now, the diligent student's last hope is the Post-Utme...it's his avenue left to prove that his worth after JAMB has disappointed him with a score that doesn't seem like his. You surely would give him that chance....if indeed you're sensitive to his plight.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by bclint: 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2016
Hmmm, how i wish dey will listen after reading dis....(pume fire)
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by alexis007(m): 6:50pm On Jun 20, 2016
rexbuton:

Post UME makes it easy to carry out such activities. Far easier
Mr. Rex.. you can make yourself clearer than this. Try again.

Are you telling me that those aforementioned criteria would only exist if PUME exist I don't understand what you meant by the word "Easier".

As far as my limited knowledge is concerned. Something exist....or it doesn't. And mind you, all those criteria, are indelible in our universities' admission process...whether JAMB was the only entrance exam or whether there was a PUME alongside.

Our admission process is simple to understand.... get a very high score and find yourself a place among the select few in the merit list. Afterwards, it becomes a matter of money and connection.

This has been the practice for as long as I can remember.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by SpeedyConnect(m): 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
lonelydora:

You know zilch about what you are saying. UNN gives like 98 percent of her admission on merit. Everything is above board.

Even the staff list is official and even on their website and they do that after they must have given merit.

Rrspecting the state of origin, it's no school's making but FG's directive.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by lekancaring(m): 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
I was so disappointed with dis post jamb because is d cos I did not further my university degree after scoring 280 in jamb and went for post jamb in olabisi onabanjo university (oou)and because I did not know somebody in dat school I fail their post jamb dat is when I went to work and since den I did not av d privilege of going to university again they should scrap dis post jam is a fraud is not helping our educational sector is just a way of estoting money from the poor masses
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Jenero200(m): 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2016
Nice point bro wink
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Topmaike007(m): 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2016
rexbuton:

Yeah.. I'm in life's school
If you are you will know the importance of post utme

1 Like

Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2016
I was actually a victim of the P.UME politics or whatever it was they did.

OP said the screening fee is 3550. I asked earlier today at the main gate shopping complex. Was told it costs 4500.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Handsome4real(m): 7:58pm On Jun 20, 2016
It's only teenagers of niw that will support post ume. Post ume should ot be scrapped. It has helped admission compared to when there was no post ume. WHen its scrapped it will encourage corruption more than it is now cos there will be different b athces based on connection or moeny payed. Pist ume reduced this as only those eho pawssed get admission. Also most schools are strict compared to jam exam. I wrote post ume in 2008.
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Doublejoy411(m): 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2016
I will give u an instance.....Last year I wrote Jamb Nd scored 270 Nd post ume I scored 76 Nd applied for medicine.....Will u believe that I didn't smell Admission talk less of tasting it.....dey didn't even change my course
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by Topmaike007(m): 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2016
It is now that the corruption will be much.. Because if you fail oral text the next thing is the school board to be get paid before getting admission. . If it is scrap it is only the rich ones that will go.. My friend sat for jamb last year and scored 210. Luckily for him he scored high in the post utme and now he is an MLS student in lautech, but now if you score below 250 in jamb no admission for you, because someone that scored 300 cannot be on ground and you that score 220 will be given.. So guys think well
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by babooshka: 8:33pm On Jun 20, 2016
virginboy1:
Nigeria with so many examination process just to study mediocrity.
I dey tell u. Mediocrity all over d place.

1 Like

Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by tosyne2much(m): 8:41pm On Jun 20, 2016
OP, you're indeed a good writer... Thumbs up bro cool
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by tosyne2much(m): 8:58pm On Jun 20, 2016
shegzan:
sm aspirants be like '' ope oo"... others be like "ahh, shey I still geh hope with this my 180 sha?"
Wetin you go come be like? This one wey I blast 290, I hope say I go enter school sha cheesy
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by buharisbae(f): 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2016
Doublejoy411:
I will give u an instance.....Last year I wrote Jamb Nd scored 270 Nd post ume I scored 76 Nd applied for medicine.....Will u believe that I didn't smell Admission talk less of tasting it.....dey didn't even change my course

shocked which school?
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by sadediji2(m): 10:35pm On Jun 20, 2016
THE OF THE MATTER is listed below
Sadediji2gist the change must be delivered
Why Post Ume MUST be scrapped completely.

This is not a response thread to Matolysis's, as I find his interesting but bereft of facts and also lacks awareness of the current tertiary admission process. No apologies.

In our time it was strictly JAMB , if you score high, the higher your chances. Though there was malpractice then, JAMB has improved today especially with Computer based testing introduction.
I have wards who passed through the PUME process, which is significantly different from our time, for example, now many schools do not invite second choice for their screening and this is at variance with JAMB procedure. I am also an insider of sorts in the PUME process, and I'll use the Uniben scenario to give reasons why PUME is illegal and must be scrapped and defaulting schools prosecuted.

1. Post UME infringes on the sole power right of Jamb/UTME to give admissions. If you go through the JAMB act, it states that only the body has the right to conduct exams after charging fees, give undergraduate admissions, carryout placements in Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education. The universities are only supposed to send their requirements and preferences. The only exception is Post graduate admissions. But today Universities charge another amount , sometimes higher than JAMB's to conduct a parallel exam clearly defying the act, and give admissions using methods known to no one else. Uniben announced admission screening fee of 2000 and optional 1000 for past questions. But the reality is that, processing Uniben PUME/ ASE 2016 costs 3550. There is no option there, it just displays this amount and asks for MasterCard/Verve details.

2. Secondly, Post UME is not transparent, it is even more fraud prone than JAMB. CBT has greatly reduced fraud, eliminating text message answers, buying answers online and impersonation. We now have biometric check in and check out, and CBT even makes the exam easier to invigilate as candidates are forced to stare at their screens and nothing else. A bonus is the availability of system calculator which wasn't totally available in the era of pencil test.
BUT Pume is not even standardized, no preparation syllabus, some schools purposely set questions from A-Level just to be wicked and reduce number of successful people, others are known for giving very little time. And at the end they just send admission notification without pasting any list publicly and denying some admission even after surpassing the JAMB cutoff.

3. Post UME introduces avenues for special candidates getting better courses. Special candidates refers to Royal father's recommendees , governor's candidates , VC's candidates, staff children and state of origin waivers etc These sets of people would score less than others and must get admitted , in many cases get their course of choice.
In Uniben, to enter the college of Medicine, staff kids have their cutoff 10marks below regular cut off. So while a normal candidate aims for 70, they'll aim for 60. After taking the number of staff kids they want, the rest is filled with merit and government/royal candidates. And they all wrote the same JAMB. And the non staff candidates who fall under 60 < x < 70 are pushed to pharmacy and Life Sciences.
That is one reason why they do not release cutoff before results, as they need to fit in their people first and adjust and that's why majority of the post ume era medical graduates are children of doctors and professors; Not because Medicine runs in their veins but because corruption runs instead. There have also been reports of score upgrade in different schools including UNIBEN.
And That is what gives rise to fraudsters, result checkers and predators who take advantage of candidates giving them fake admission. And the school waits till final year exams before publishing lists of fake students, meanwhile they've been collecting school fees from 100L.

4. Post UME destroys the JAMB score. For instance , someone who scored 280 in JAMB would have his score divided by 8 giving 35 and this will be added to half the PUME score. Another person who scored 240 would see his score transformed to 30.. only 5 marks difference. Assuming the second guy scores 70 in PUMe and the first guy scores 60, after dividing by two and adding to both Jamb scores, the two aggregate scores would be equal! The PUME now more weighted than JAMB. That's why it is possible to "pass 220 and not enter school".
One would expect that the PUME score is the one divided and transformed after all it is the illegal exam!

5. PUME makes it difficult for Jamb to monitor admissions. An admission body that is relegated in its own game. One would expect that at this time parents would clamour for schools to start pasting their admission lists with raw scores attached. not a case of someone with 53 given Law and another person with 65 reading Foreign languages when they both put Law as first choice.
Jamb is still a major exam that can never be replaced by the schemes of money-for-grades lecturers.
Some may argue that Jamb scores are lower than students expect. This is because of Item Response Psychometric testing method, which is why people talk about negative marking etc. This method does not aggregate all the questions gotten correct, instead questions carry different marks depending on the set difficulty and depending on how many people answer that question.
And PUME has seen schools flooded with kids without emotional intelligence and they can't fend for themselves, they rush through and pass out and it doesn't even seem like they went to school
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by nedz(m): 11:03pm On Jun 20, 2016
chukyman:
nice one from op
How do u sell ur data?
Re: Why Post Utme MUST Be Scrapped Completely (5 Reasons) by 4rmthewest(m): 12:38am On Jun 21, 2016
Okk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can HND Holder Be Admitted Into 300level In University? / 7 Logos You Never Knew Were Satanic / Babcock Won't Let My Sis Graduate Despite CGPA Of 4.3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.