Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market (33927 Views)

Dollar Crashes To N368/$1 / Naira Crashes To N484 Against Dollar As More Bdcs Go Underground / Naira Crashes As FG Denies Currency Swap Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Leopard2A7: 9:20am On Jun 21, 2016
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by neocortex: 9:20am On Jun 21, 2016
BIGERBOY1:
As at this morning it's 281. I bought at 360 last week angry

You mean you bought dollars at 281 this morning ?
Please direct me to where you got it.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by bejick(m): 9:21am On Jun 21, 2016
it doesn't mean you will buy at N288 cos that is imaginary bank rate.
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by 9jatatafo(m): 9:21am On Jun 21, 2016
Is it one naira to one dollar loading in PMB's economic policy?
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Nobody: 9:21am On Jun 21, 2016
martineverest:
its a gradual process:it will flunctuate and mellow down after a while.the demand is very high,esp now that the xchange rate of dollars have fallen.with time,the demand will fall and naira wll appreciate....lets be optimistic.i know some wailers are happy about the news.

I think the market started well. What most people don't understand is that this is not a straight forward surrender to devaluation but a BRAND NEW market with forward and spot prices. PMB and his admin have created a whole new playing field that did not exist before. The CBN also showed their hand by wiping out all obligations in one day! Meaning less accumulated pressure going forward. With the $6bn Chinese currency swaps kicking off next month, the outlook for a stronger naira looks good. There is still some way to go but it looks good.

This might even become the defacto currency market for the W.A region.

4 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by SeverusSnape(m): 9:25am On Jun 21, 2016
latinoKingdom:
can't you just show little respect
1. He is your president
2. He is old enough to be your father, if not grand father
Don't be so disrespectful, moreover you voted for him
Buhari is a certified dullard na... He's also an illiterate.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by vexing(m): 9:26am On Jun 21, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Apart from all these dogo turenchi does it mean that I will be buying things on Amazon at an exchange rate of 346 or 288 undecided

Buhari s the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria.

I stand naked and place a curse on that man that's ruining this economy cos of his pride and arrogance cry

Pishure of u standing unclad or idonbelieveit

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by HAH: 9:28am On Jun 21, 2016
This tread is filled ignorant or possibly financial economics illiterate people, please have some basic knowledge of economics and dynamics of FX market before you comment.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Leopard2A7: 9:29am On Jun 21, 2016
Shym3xx:
LOL.

In just one day?

By December, $1 = 500/600 naira. grin

And when proper inflation hits - I won't be surprised when the people hit the road and start protesting.

Voodoo/paper economists will also join the protests...that's when shiit has hit the fan. grin

I expect these clowns to announce a new policy by latest August/September and peg the naira with something/somewhere. This lousy policy is not sustainable with the big hole the country is. It's just a trial and error method - to see where naira will settle at. No sane person would willingly float a currency as weak as that against the dollar. You're better off pegging it to the dollar.

Anyway, I think Adeosun needs to resign and jump off the sinking boat before she destroy's her career/CV. She's surrounded by dunderheads in a country where everything is done based on sentiments and where slaves love worshipping the slave masters, despite how inhumane the slave masters treat them.

This is a very sound message for omenka, vedaxcool, tbaba1234, Passingshot, Modath, Obailala and others.

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by onatisi(m): 9:29am On Jun 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Buharinomics - The worst form of economic policy in the whole wide world.

Rule 1: Don't expect much from a dullard.

Buhari is an economic terrorist. #fact

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Rhema0011: 9:29am On Jun 21, 2016
Gtb just quoted 339.00 per dollar now, what is happening ohhhhj

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Leopard2A7: 9:31am On Jun 21, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:

The value of the naira was moved from 199 to 258 by the CBN at the begining of monday

what is it with you zombies? It's almost like your average zombie IQ is less than that of a field mouse.

Honestly I don't know how to describe these people.

Something is moved from 199 to 250+ yet they say there is no devaluation just to guard the reputation of their herdsman president.

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by 989900: 9:31am On Jun 21, 2016
greenpasture:

I think the market started well. What most people don't understand is that this is not a straight forward surrender to devaluation but a BRAND NEW market with forward and spot prices. PMB and his admin have created a whole new playing field that did not exist before. The CBN also showed their hand by wiping out all obligations in one day! Meaning less accumulated pressure going forward. With the $6bn Chinese currency swaps kicking off next month, the outlook for a stronger naira looks good. There is still some way to go but it looks good.

Is the yuan deal really going to happen, I mean next month?

BTW, good points chipped in.
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by martineverest(m): 9:33am On Jun 21, 2016
greenpasture:

well said,the yuan policy will be our saving grace...once the policy kicks off,end of dollar monopoly will be nigh..i see the economy rebounding
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by wayodude(m): 9:34am On Jun 21, 2016
One of the biggest problems facing Nigeria is the poor education of her citizens. Nairaland is prime evidence of this.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by HAH: 9:34am On Jun 21, 2016
greenpasture:

Very sensible post, it is your type need here not those juveniles that throw abuses.

Every financially literate person knows since the creation of CBN FX market this is the best decision taken where pure economic that will determine price

The most interesting part of your post to me is the takeof of the China currency deal next month and the clearing of FX demand backlog. Kudos guy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by 4stylz: 9:35am On Jun 21, 2016
What happened to the Chinese yuan they introduced ? Since we buy mostly from china
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Checked86: 9:36am On Jun 21, 2016
As far as the importers of those banned goods are not allowed to source for fx at official market, the war between naira and the dollar will remain one sided...naira being a the receiving end. I am not against the embargo placed on those goods because they are products we can produce ourselves. But, since the embargo was placed, what are the necessary steps taken by either the government or the private sectors in making sure they are being produced domestically? The products are just banned without corrective measures,it will surely create artificial inflation. An importer that source his fx in the black market will surely place black-market price tag on the product(s), and without alternative, Nigerians will still buy them, unfortunately. Official market exchange rate is a function of parallel market exchange rate and the forces of demand and supply. This is because BDCs get their dollar from the official market(banks) and sell at the parallel market.
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Boss13: 9:40am On Jun 21, 2016
donsteady:
Naira started trading at 253 and closed at 288 so 35naira lost in first day. Not a positive sign for a layman like me. Your grammar can not convince me
So naira will start trading 288 this morning right and now add another 40 Naira... I predict closing at 328 at the end of today. Thumb down! Sad

The Banks were all willingly to buy, nobody was selling till CBN intervened to sell. Some Banks have already made future purchases for 1-month, 2-months and 3-months. Let the smoke screen settle, by smoke screen I mean panic buy and huge demand due to transaction backlogs, then we will know how strong the naira can be.
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 21, 2016
989900:

Is the yuan deal really going to happen, I mean next month?

BTW, good points chipped in.

Yes I have it on Good authority that it kicks off next month. This new mechanism supports it. It will be plug and play.
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by tbaba1234: 9:40am On Jun 21, 2016
Shym3xx:
LOL.

In just one day?

By December, $1 = 500/600 naira. grin

And when proper inflation hits - I won't be surprised when the people hit the road and start protesting.

Voodoo/paper economists will also join the protests...that's when shiit has hit the fan. grin

I expect these clowns to announce a new policy by latest August/September and peg the naira with something/somewhere. This lousy policy is not sustainable with the big hole the country is. It's just a trial and error method - to see where naira will settle at. No sane person would willingly float a currency as weak as that against the dollar. You're better off pegging it to the dollar.

Anyway, I think Adeosun needs to resign and jump off the sinking boat before she destroy's her career/CV. She's surrounded by dunderheads in a country where everything is done based on sentiments and where slaves love worshipping the slave masters, despite how inhumane the slave masters treat them.

Oga, let's have the same conversation in December...

This spike is completely expected...

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by tbaba1234: 9:41am On Jun 21, 2016
Leopard2A7:

This is a very sound message for omenka, vedaxcool, tbaba1234, Passingshot, Modath, Obailala and others.

There is nothing sound about the message. There is no economic analysis.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 21, 2016
HAH:

Very sensible post, it is your type need here not those juveniles that throw abuses.

Every financially literate person knows since the creation of CBN FX market this is the best decision taken where pure economic that will determine price

The most interesting part of your post to me is the takeof of the China currency deal next month and the clearing of FX demand backlog. Kudos guy

Thank you for your encouraging comments

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by HAH: 9:42am On Jun 21, 2016
4stylz:
What happened to the Chinese yuan they introduced ? Since we buy mostly from china

Yes we buy household goods from China but the truth is 70% of dollar demand are maily for, petrol, rice and wheat, now when when dangote refinery comes to production petrol import will stop, that alone is 50% of dollar demand, then by 2018 the government intents banning the import of rice and wheat that will lesson dollar demand by 20% .

Everything looks good on paper hope we will get it right, cos if what I explained above come to fruition dollar may be as low as 100 naira

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by poweredcom(m): 9:43am On Jun 21, 2016
Wetin concern me
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by chimauga(m): 9:44am On Jun 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Buharinomics - The worst form of economic policy in the whole wide world.

Rule 1: Don't expect much from a dullard.

Buhari is an economic terrorist. #fact

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Boss13: 9:45am On Jun 21, 2016
Checked86:
As far as the importers of those banned goods are not allowed to source for fx at official market, the war between naira and the dollar will remain one sided...naira being a the receiving end. I am not against the embargo placed on those goods because they are products we can produce ourselves. But, since the embargo was placed, what are the necessary steps taken by either the government or the private sectors in making sure they are being produced domestically? The products are just banned without corrective measures,it will surely create artificial inflation. An importer that source his fx in the black market will surely place black-market price tag on the product(s), and without alternative, Nigerians will still buy them, unfortunately. Official market exchange rate is a function of parallel market exchange rate and the forces of demand and supply. This is because BDCs get their dollar from the official market(banks) and sell at the parallel market.

Everything the government! Seriously!!! The government through the CBN has restricted sales of FX to importers of those goods. A serious businessman should seize the opportunity to produce these banned goods domestically and compete with the imported goods which should be at a high price now.

There is nothing like BDCs anymore from this policy. Anybody with a genuine business transaction can walk up to their Banks and get dollars at the either the Spot rate or future/Forward rate, except the person is involved in the banned goods.

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 21, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:

The value of the naira was moved from 199 to 258 by the CBN at the begining of monday

what is it with you zombies? It's almost like your average zombie IQ is less than that of a field mouse.

This government is playing hide and seek with policies. Last week when they announced they said Central bank now has enough dollars to back any demand. What that statement means they will provide enough dollars to back any amount of demand. By releasing dollars in tranches, they are basically controlling the price through the open market. If they release less than its demand, the price will go up. If they release more than the demand, the price will go down and if they decide not to release tommorrow, all speculators will simply relax and wait for the day they will release but real business men who are being affected by this dollar freeze will be in trouble because they will not see the dollars. No real business can survive that kind of uncertainty. In fact the biggest gainers in this system will be PMB and CBN people who are privy to the information on how much and when CBN will release so they can sell and buy with the flow. I said before that APC politics will ensure their goons and cabals must be rewarded in this dollar matter

This is getting clearer every hour that once again PMBs clueless government have come with another juju economics to use in deceiving their Zombies that will blindly support anything they do. In my last post on this issue, I clearly praised this idi.ot government so my criticism now is based on the economics of what they are doing.

Please sensible peeps, the only way to do business in this new system is to align yourself with any CBN or Ab0ki afilliated exchange house or else, you are in for a long thing

THE MORE YOU LOOK THE LESS YOU SEE government

2 Likes

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by Boss13: 9:47am On Jun 21, 2016
HAH:

Yes we buy household goods from China but the truth is 70% of dollar demand are mainly for, petrol, rice and wheat, now when dangote refinery comes to production petrol import will stop, that alone is 50% of dollar demand, then by 2018 the government intents banning the import of rice and wheat that will lesson dollar demand by 20% .

Everything looks good on paper hope we will get it right, cos if what I explained above come to fruition dollar may be as low as 100 naira

Bull eyes! Spot on!
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by richling77(m): 9:51am On Jun 21, 2016
Clone2020:
I have $2000 PayPal @N320/$ or $6000 @N330/$ wire transfer from my Chase bank account to your U.S account or TD bank to your dorm account in Nigeria, you will have to pay the $40 wire fee.
Mention me and drop your phone number. Scammers beware.

If it's genuine let's analyse this. Mail at richling77@yahoo.com first.
Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by owagbeba: 9:56am On Jun 21, 2016
Why are the banks still charging at black market rates for oversea ATM and online transactions?

1 Like

Re: Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market by pressplay411(m): 9:58am On Jun 21, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Apart from all these dogo turenchi does it mean that I will be buying things on Amazon at an exchange rate of 346 or 288 undecided

Buhari s the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria.

I stand naked and place a curse on that man that's ruining this economy cos of his pride and arrogance cry

Pls cover up you're causing an optical discomfiture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Inside Gerawa's $50 Million Soyabeans Oil Processing Factory In Kano (Pictures] / Money Myths That Have Made Nigerians Broke / Femi Otedola Loses $400Million In 9 Weeks - FORBES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.