Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job (11227 Views)

Do You Love Your Current Job? / Pls Help Me.should I Drop My Current Job? / Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by careercrew1: 9:26am On Jun 21, 2016
Most people all over the world tend to lose their jobs easily or get sacked due to lack of job security. Many companies today are either downsizing or outsourcing job roles in order to cut down financial cost.

This article will help and guide you on how to stay relevant in your current work place and secure your employment.

Be ready to take up extra job task:

It is advisable that you display a can-do attitude every time at work, never complain when given an extra task or assignment, never be in a hurry to leave the office and be willing to help your colleagues or boss to complete their work.

Acquire and develop new set of skills:

Ensure that you acquire and improve on new skills needed for your job role that none of your colleague have. Also ensure you upgrade your educational background by going for professional courses, master’s programme, training, or development courses. This will improve and increase your performance and put you ahead of others thereby making you an invaluable asset to the company.

Remain positive and don’t complain:

Avoid complaining when given an extra task to do. Do not complain to your or supervisor about meeting deadlines or target given, rather remain focused and positive.

Be friendly and noticeable:

Be friendly right from the receptionist to your fellow colleagues and even your boss. Never fail to say “Hello” and get acquainted with other staff members. Whenever there is a group discussion, either work related or not, try to contribute positively and constructively to be noticed and recognized. Remember, you are not valuable when you fail to be friendly to others or when nobody knows you.

Be very punctual:

Make sure you come to work very early on a regular basis and try not to be in a hurry to leave the office once it is 5pm, rather use the time to complete an extra task and get to know your boss better. Doing this shows your boss that you are making extra effort to ensure the successful performance of the company.

Update your CV/resume regularly:

Updating your resume regularly gives you an upper hand in applying for internal vacancies faster. When your resume is current, you don’t need to rush to update it again thereby avoiding making mistakes on your application.

Following all these steps will sure make you very relevant to your colleagues,boss and employer

http://careercrew..com.ng/2016/06/6-ways-to-secure-your-current-job_8.html?m=0

8 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by veekid(m): 11:57am On Jun 21, 2016
Nice writeup, more grease to your elbow
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Springz(f): 12:00pm On Jun 21, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by FakeNEWSevryday: 12:00pm On Jun 21, 2016
This article will help and guide you on how to stay relevant in your current work place and secure your employment.
I think commitment to God should be No.1

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by kollybay4u: 12:00pm On Jun 21, 2016
e
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by apostolos(m): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
THATS GOOD
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by victorazy(m): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
Must I work for somebody? undecided

Am tired with all these work work stuff. Is hard time Nigerian should change their mentality and start depending on themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by allanphash7(m): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
Ok o

7 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by FakeNEWSevryday: 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
veekid:
yeah
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by timilehin007(m): 12:01pm On Jun 21, 2016
Ok
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by iyke484real(m): 12:03pm On Jun 21, 2016
grin there are only 3 trusted ways to secure a job in a zoo;
1. The grace of God
2.you are the ceo
3. A powerful koskos from a strong babalawo from ijebuijebu grin
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by AntiWailer: 12:04pm On Jun 21, 2016
WHere is the golden rule ?

NEVER OUTSHINE YOUR MASTER

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Goldenheart(m): 12:04pm On Jun 21, 2016
The Grace Of God Has Kept Me In Business...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by MisterGrace: 12:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
aimeage:
k

Are you a demon?
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by ritzybaby(f): 12:07pm On Jun 21, 2016
what of ArmyWork? undecided
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by FakeNEWSevryday: 12:09pm On Jun 21, 2016
Goldenheart:
The Grace Of God Has Kept Me In Business...
Thank you my brother, even if you sleep in your working place that doesn't mean your boss will not sack u

"Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain".[/i]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Mariojane(f): 12:09pm On Jun 21, 2016
In the place I work,none of these will ever work there
Be ready to take up extra job task:
They will say you are only after extra salary for the extra task

Acquire and develop new set of skills:

They won't notice the new skills you acquire,instead they will start recruitment to get new people that acquire such skills just not to pay you more

Remain positive and don’t complain:

You not complaining means you don't do anything so you can't complain when they just pay you to sit down.if you are working you will definitely have something to complain about.

Be friendly and noticeable:

If you are friendly and noticeable then you must be dating the Oga @ the top nd you are on your own.cos nobody will trust you

Be very punctual:

If you very punctual that you resume. 30mins before your boss. Work starts 8am your boss do resume 7:30am nd you do resume before him 7am just to open the office before he arrives, before you know what is happening,your boss will start coming to work by 6:30am won't you sleep again?

Update your CV/resume regularly:

Update your resume and you will think they will notice it when you are acquiring more certificates than your boss? You are on your own oooo

That is how it is in the place I work.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Adesiji77: 12:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
iyke484real:
grin there are only 2 trusted ways to secure a job in Naija;
1. The grace of God
2.you are the ceo

Fixed! cheesy grin
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Olakunle007(m): 12:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
Nice One
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by SUGARDADDY55(m): 12:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Noted
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Olakunle007(m): 12:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
Even if you follow it up, that doesn't mean you are 90% save from loosing the job.
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by kollybay4u: 12:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
aimeage:
k
You never tired!!!
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Healthybiz: 12:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
shocked
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by NaLaugh: 12:46pm On Jun 21, 2016
7. Be as dedicated as the FTC above who seems to spam all the threads with his "MTN promo" or whatever ads.
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by rabonni(m): 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
I do what i was employed to do

i don't do notice me or eye service

This year alone my company have sacked a lot people that have even more than the list above

But am still there not because of my strength but the grace of GOD

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
funny comments.
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
cool

Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by dragonking2: 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2016
Nice_write_up
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by careercrew1: 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2016
veekid:
Thank you.
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by careercrew1: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2016
rabonni:
I do what i was employed to do

i don't do notice me or eye service

This year alone my company have sacked a lot people that have even more than the list above

But am still there not because of my strength but the grace of GOD

I totally disagree with you. No company will lay off its best staff. Most companies will lay off staff who refuse to step up their game or develop themselves. If you are not doing something to keep up with the change of Business, you will be unemployed and thats a fact..
Re: 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job by careercrew1: 2:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
Olakunle007:
Even if you follow it up, that doesn't mean you are 90% save from loosing the job.
Nothing in Life is 100% safe...But following this steps will increase your chances of securing your jobs. Most people dont know that there is a difference in getting a job and keeping a job

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sleep With My Boss Or My Resignation? / How Much Monthly Salary Can Give One 'Big Guy/Girl' Status In Nigeria? / Paystack Candidates Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.