Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,960 members, 7,806,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Simple English Test! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Simple English Test! (26547 Views)

How Do You Translate This To Simple English '' E No Get As E Wan Be'' / Can You Pass This 10-question Basic English Test? / Can You Teach Ielts(english Test)? Please Come In Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Simple English Test! by Domislaz(m): 11:25am On Jun 22, 2016
omonighoblessing:
My answers :

pls you are free to criticise oooh....
I am just only a professor in Englishgrin

1:A

2:A

3:B

4:B

5:B

6:A

7:A

8:B

9:B

10:B

I believe "a historian" is the correct usage, not "an historian," since the 'h' is not silent in this particular word. So that makes your number 10 wrong. But nice one tho.

2 Likes

Re: Simple English Test! by Sanchez01: 11:26am On Jun 22, 2016
Ronaldinnioh:
This is nothing like BROADCASTED IT IS BROADCAST
You people should stop saying this. I don't make any of you sound smart. Modern day English is super dynamic and fast evolving.
Re: Simple English Test! by Oyimeoyimemua(f): 11:27am On Jun 22, 2016
op did u give credit to Stella's blog
Re: Simple English Test! by Occurstaem(m): 11:27am On Jun 22, 2016
1.A 2.A 3.B 4.B 5.B 6.A 7.A 8.B 9.B 10.B
Re: Simple English Test! by skinflint(m): 11:28am On Jun 22, 2016
1) A 2) A 3) B 4) B 5) B 6) A 7) A cool B 9) B 10) B
Re: Simple English Test! by omonighoblessing(f): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2016
Checked86:
Sir! Sir!! Sir!!! This person copied from me.
LWKMD grin
Re: Simple English Test! by shogotermies(m): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2016
omonighoblessing:
This is a simple test to see how good your English.
Choose your answers by commenting either A or B for each question. I'll post the answers in the comment section later. Let's go..

1- A) If the king gives us leave, you or I may as awfully preach as they that do.
B) If the king gives us leave, you or I may as awfully preach as them that do.

2- A) I wish I were the campaign manager of PDP in the last general election
B) I wish I was the campaign manager of PDP in the last general election

3- A) The news of president Buhari's arrival was broadcasted yesterday
B) The news of president Buhari's arrival was broadcast yesterday

4- A) They appeared to be talking together on private affairs.
B) They appeared to be talking on private matters.

5- A) He fell down from the top of the house
B) He fell from the top of the house

6- A)The subject of his discourse was excellent.
B) The subject matter of his discourse was excellent

7- A) If she had known about his financial
situation, she would have helped him out.
B) If she knew about his financial

8- A) Her baby daddy has too many baggages
B) Her baby daddy has too many baggage

9- A) Nothing else but that would satisfy him.
B) Nothing but that would satisfy him

10- A) That a historian should not record trifles is perfectly true
B) That an historian should not record trifles is perfectly true

We will soon construct WAEC exams here one day.hehehehehehehe
grin

http://www.stelladimokokorkus.com/2016/06/simple-english-test.html?m=1

1.a
2.b
3.b
4.b
5.b
6.a
7.b
8.b
9.b
10.a
Re: Simple English Test! by henryboff(m): 11:31am On Jun 22, 2016
English no be my first language oo but make I try. No blame me if I fail some oo
1 A. 2 A. 3 B. 4 B. 5 B. 6 A. 7 B. 8 A. 9 B. 10 A.
Re: Simple English Test! by omonighoblessing(f): 11:32am On Jun 22, 2016
Domislaz:

I believe "a historian" is the correct usage, not "an historian," since the 'h' is not silent in this particular word. So that makes your number 10 wrong. But nice one tho.
thank u dear....it's an oversight .I must admit my wrong tho...thanks again

1 Like

Re: Simple English Test! by mayor10(m): 11:39am On Jun 22, 2016
Still waiting for OP to comment ooo
Re: Simple English Test! by Occurstaem(m): 11:52am On Jun 22, 2016
Sanchez01:

You people should stop saying this. I don't make any of you sound smart. Modern day English is super dynamic and fast evolving.
It is not about sounding smart here but to know the correct form. As at this time, that 'modern day English' has not evolved to the level where the past tense of 'broadcast' is 'broadcasted'.
Broadcast is broadcast in the past tense and past participle forms. In fact, there was never anything like broadcasted. It never exist.

1 Like

Re: Simple English Test! by sammyscholar(m): 11:53am On Jun 22, 2016
Davecafary:

Bro you've given everyone expo here na...Professor of English smiley
which expo? Virtually all his answers are incorrect. Let's wait for the answer. This is mine anyway: 1A 2B 3B 4B 5B 6A 7A 8B 9B 10A
Re: Simple English Test! by dayvid0bedz: 11:54am On Jun 22, 2016
omonighoblessing:
Choose your answers by commenting either A or B for each question. I'll post the answers in the comment section later. Let's go..

1- A) If the king gives us leave, you or I may as awfully preach as they that do.

grin

A
A
A
A
B
B
B
B
A
B..
grin
Re: Simple English Test! by kally90(f): 11:54am On Jun 22, 2016
All B's.

1 Like

Re: Simple English Test! by sammyscholar(m): 11:55am On Jun 22, 2016
Occurstaem:

It is not about sounding smart here but know to the correct form. As at this time, that your 'modern day English' has not evolved to the level where the past tense of 'broadcast' is 'broadcasted'. Broadcast is broadcast in the past tense and past participle forms. In fact, there was never anything like broadcasted. It never exist.
you saw what I saw too. Many of his answers are incorrect.
Re: Simple English Test! by Ammybest(f): 11:58am On Jun 22, 2016
hA hA hA hA hA hA hA .olodo
MadCow1:
Tooo Easy, I will rather not.
Re: Simple English Test! by VISTIN(m): 11:59am On Jun 22, 2016
1.........A

2.........A

3.........B

4.........B

5.........B

6.........A

7.........A

8.........B

9.........B

10........A.
Re: Simple English Test! by ayeniblessing(m): 11:59am On Jun 22, 2016
A
B
B
B
B
B
A
B
A
B
Re: Simple English Test! by NICENEDU29: 12:00pm On Jun 22, 2016
1. A 2. B 3. B 4. B 5. B 6. B 7. A 8. B 9. B 10. A
Re: Simple English Test! by surveycash(m): 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
shogotermies:

1.a
2.b
3.b
4.b
5.b
6.a
7.b
8.b
9.b
10.a

Thanks, no need to post mine. I duff my hat for you.
Re: Simple English Test! by MadCow1: 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
Ammybest:
hA hA hA hA hA hA hA .olodo

If I answer it and ace the test, You will call me a show off.. grin

If I abstain and let others give it a try, you call me an Olodo.. angry

I cant please everyone..
Re: Simple English Test! by Occurstaem(m): 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2016
sammyscholar:
you saw what I saw too. Many of his answers are incorrect.
What disturbed the most was that some people are in his shoe. They do not broadcasted never exist, that some words remains unchanged in past and past participle forms.
Re: Simple English Test! by Sanchez01: 12:04pm On Jun 22, 2016
Occurstaem:
It is not about sounding smart here but to know the correct form. As at this time, that 'modern day English' has not evolved to the level where the past tense of 'broadcast' is 'broadcasted'.
Broadcast is broadcast in the past tense and past participle forms. In fact, there was never anything like broadcasted. It never exist.
Stop trying to sound smart. You're really doing the opposite at this juncture.

Re: Simple English Test! by chopnuckle(m): 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2016
omonighoblessing:

grin

Only numbers 1 and 2 are 'A', the rest are 'B'....
Re: Simple English Test! by OluOlaLekan(m): 12:06pm On Jun 22, 2016
flamingREED:

'Campaign manager of PDP' is ungrammatical.

It should be 'the PDP'.

Talking about the indefinite articles "a" and "an", words with an initial "h" CANNOT take on both articles. The determinant is the preceeding phonetic sound in the word in question. Words starting with an initial vowel sound take on the aricle "an" while those that start with a consonant sound take the article "a". An understanding of this basic rule will help you explain away all the seemingly confusing exceptions.

Take a look at the following examples:

A unique concept. The first sound in the word "unique" is the consonant sound "y" and not the vowel sound "u"; so the word takes on the article "a" even though the first letter is a vowel

An SMS. The first sound here is the vowel sound "e". It precedes the "s" sound even though the first letter "s" is a consonant.

Talking about the words with an initial "h", you just have to memorise the few exceptions. In most cases in English language when the letter "h" starts a word, it is often pronounced and not silent. As "h" is a consonant sound, such words take on the article "a" as in "a helicopter", "a horrible descent". There are however only four words in the whole of English language which start with an "h" but take on the article "an". This is because the letter "h" is silent and not voiced in these words, thus making the next letter which is usually a vowel to take over as the first sound and the determinant of the choice of article. These words are "hour, honour, honest and heir". Therefore, whenever these words and all their derivatives appear, they take on the article "an". See these examples.

An honest lawyer, an heir apparent to the British throne, an hourly injection of the drug, an honourable sheriff.

I hope someone here now perfectly understands the use of indefinite articles in English language. Thank you.
Re: Simple English Test! by teawhy2788(m): 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2016
1a 2a 3b 4b 5b 6a 7a 8b 9a 10b an is used bcs 'h' is voiceless
Re: Simple English Test! by benji93: 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2016
Atmmachine:
If i fail to get the correct answers to all the questions, i will never forgive myself for wasting $4000 every semester.

And i might as well return my degree to the University of Florida

1. Na Hausa language be that ??

2. The available options are not grammatically correct, the first option would have been the correct answer if there is "the" before PDP. Eg.(I wish i were the campaign manager of the Democrats in the last general election.

3. A

4. B

5. B

6. A (subject is synonymous to matter.)

7. B

8. A (i know some people may disagree but i remember asking my professor the correct usage of the two and he told me baggages, the same professor that told me that i shouldn't say it's educational, it's educative is the right term.

9. A

10. A

Waiting for people who would falsify my answers

Bro, i agree with all but the 6th, ''subject matter'' in this sense is more accurate. Subject is not necessarily synonymous with matter, there are other connotations of subject that you cannot assume for matter e.g, subject as a person. So the usage of the two words together, better communicates the message of the sentence, if it meant-the information the discourse duscusses.I have my reservations for the 8th question though. Assuming your professor was right, as in the appropriacy of ''baggages'' then i can as well say that ''luggages'' is also right. But some words may eventually play into the formality of English language, due to their frequent usage. And your comment on the first got me giggling though, na truely Hausa.
Re: Simple English Test! by OluOlaLekan(m): 12:10pm On Jun 22, 2016
Sanchez01:
1. Both options for #1 are wrong. You don't GIVE but GRANT leave.
2. A) I wish I were the campaign manager of PDP in the last general election.
3. A) The news of president Buhari's arrival was broadcasted yesterday.
4. B) They appeared to be talking on private matters.
5. B) He fell from the top of the house.
6. B) The subject matter of his discourse was excellent.
7. B) ) If she knew about his financial situation, she would have helped him out.
8. B) Her baby daddy has too many baggage.
9. B) B) Nothing but that would satisfy him.
10. This would definitely pass as A but the consonant 'H' in the English alphabet is the only consonant that is allowed to carry both the 'A' and the 'AN', just like the vowel 'U' can sometimes carry or tag along with the article 'A'. EG, He has A UNIQUE point of view.

Talking about the indefinite articles "a" and "an", words with an initial "h" CANNOT take on both articles. The determinant is the preceeding phonetic sound in the word in question. Words starting with an initial vowel sound take on the aricle "an" while those that start with a consonant sound take the article "a". An understanding of this basic rule will help you explain away all the seemingly confusing exceptions.

A unique concept. The first sound in the word "unique" is the consonant sound "y" and not the vowel sound "u"; so the word takes on the article "a" even though the first letter is a vowel

An SMS. The first sound here is the vowel sound "e". It precedes the "s" sound even though the first letter "s" is a consonant.

Talking about the words with an initial "h", you just have to memorise the few exceptions. In most cases in English language when the letter "h" starts a word, it is often pronounced and not silent. As "h" is a consonant sound, such words take on the article "a" as in "a helicopter", "a horrible descent". There are however only four words in the whole of English language which start with an "h" but take on the article "an". This is because the letter "h" is silent and not voiced in these words, thus making the next letter which is usually a vowel to take over as the first sound and the determinant of the choice of article. These words are "hour, honour, honest and heir". Therefore, whenever these words and all their derivatives appear, they take on the article "an". See these examples.

An honest lawyer, an heir apparent to the British throne, an hourly injection of the drug, an honourable sheriff.

I hope someone here now perfectly understands the use of indefinite articles in English language. Thank you.
Re: Simple English Test! by omonighoblessing(f): 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2016
mayor10:
Still waiting for OP to comment ooo
I have done so naaah
scrol up and view it dear
Re: Simple English Test! by omonighoblessing(f): 12:19pm On Jun 22, 2016
OluOlaLekan:

Re: Simple English Test! by chicoMX(m): 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2016
omonighoblessing:
huh?...no nah.mine would come later so yours now...

2. A 3. B 4. B 5. B 6. A 7. A 8. B 9.A 10. A..... grin
Re: Simple English Test! by omonighoblessing(f): 12:23pm On Jun 22, 2016
chicoMX:

2. A 3. B 4. B 5. B 6. A 7. A 8. B 9.A 10. A..... grin
hehehehehheheeh I smell a foul play

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Child Needs A Change Of Handwriting / Lost WAEC Certificate, Please How Do I Get Another One? / JAMB 2017: How To Choose Your Institution For A Successful Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.