Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:04 PM

4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar (753 Views)

4 Best-kept Secrets Of Business Success / 4 Best Cars To Use For Uber Business / 4 Best Internet Business You Can Do To Make Your First #100,000 Per Month. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by ItuExchange(m): 6:01am On Jun 22, 2016
You hear between 10 and 200 lies a day, according to a TED-Ed video recently reported by Lifehacker. Luckily, researchers have uncovered some ways to spot someone who's fibbing to you — even if their pants haven't caught fire.

For much of human history, the video points out, we've worked to create technology that catches liars based on physical cues. Tools like polygraphs, brain scans, voice stress analysis, and blood pressure monitors haven't proved entirely reliable and are also not admissible in courts in the United States.

The video suggests taking a different approach, using communication science to analyze how people talk when they're fibbing, rather than trying to catch liars by detecting changes in their bodies.

Here are four things liars say when they talk to you:

1. Liars don't use the pronoun "I."

Liars often avoid speaking about themselves directly, and instead describe other people and situations in order to distance themselves from the lie.

For instance, someone accused of cheating on their partner might say, "Nothing happened," rather than "I didn't cheat on you."

2. Liars use negative language.

According to the video, liars often express negativity because they feel subconsciously guilty about not telling the truth.

Instead of simply saying "My car broke down," they might add "It's such a hassle! European cars are so tempermental."

3. Liars avoid nuance, and instead offer simplified explanations.

When someone is lying to make a point, they often will generalize or use simple, technical terms.

A few from American politicians:

"I am not a crook," late President President Richard Nixon famously declared in a press conference about the Watergate Scandal.

“We have tremendous problems with crime and other things,” presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said at a March campaign event in North Carolina. As reporter Isaac Arnsdorf wrote on Politico, "Crime rates have declined dramatically since the 1990s and remain at historically low levels."

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman," President Bill Clinton claimed, before ultimately admitting that he had an affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

4. Liars use long sentences.

"Even though liars keep descriptions simple, they tend to use longer and more convoluted sentence structure, inserting unnecessary words and irrelevant but factual sounding details in order to pad the lie," the video points out.

Remember that time Britney Spears lied about staying a virgin until marriage?

If not, here's what she told the British tabloid the Daily Star:

"The virginity issue. It's a personal decision and it reflects how I feel right now about myself. There are so many emotions involved that I would like to be able to wait until I know I'm with the right person and I'm married."

Later, it became clear that she had decided not to wait (which, just to be clear, is totally fine!) when Justin Timberlake rudely revealed they had slept together in a 2002 interview with Barbara Walters, Bustle pointed out.

In conclusion, your friend's piece-of-crap phone that he totally hates probably didn't die while he was talking to his parents on the freeway driving to a doctor's appointment. Or maybe it did. You never know.

You can watch the full video below: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2i4n5T/:5pfdqe0M:Xdf!vgYf/www.attn.com/stories/9075/four-ways-to-spot-liar

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by sexxydiva(f): 6:15am On Jun 22, 2016
Lie detector kudos
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by VoteRefiner2016: 6:37am On Jun 22, 2016
Good morning dygeasy, I just went through today's voting thread and I saw you didn't uploaded refiner's photos along her profile, please do as soon as possible.
Thanks! @Dygeasy, Wristbangle, mizmycoli
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by rummeh: 7:03am On Jun 22, 2016
VoteRefiner2016:

Good morning dygeasy, I just went through today's voting thread and I saw you didn't uploaded refiner's photos along her profile, please do as soon as possible.

This one dy talk another thing
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by VoteRefiner2016: 7:12am On Jun 22, 2016
rummeh:

This one dy talk another thing

I'm sorry sir, needed to pass a message to him, I'm also if I derailed this thread.
Good morning!
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by rummeh: 7:13am On Jun 22, 2016
VoteRefiner2016:

I'm sorry sir, needed to pass a message to him, I'm also if I derailed this thread.
Good morning!

Morning.. Sorry if I was rude
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by Dygeasy(m): 8:13am On Jun 22, 2016
VoteRefiner2016:

Na only Refiner own you see.

I haven't finished uploading the pictures.
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by Tjohnnay: 8:22am On Jun 22, 2016
cool

Scammers plenty for nairaland
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by VoteRefiner2016: 8:28am On Jun 22, 2016
Dygeasy:
Na only Refiner own you see.

I haven't finished uploading the pictures.

Mr Dygeasy is this how a legitimate complain was supposed to be addressed by you?

This handle is representing refiner and its expected that I commend or complain when it affects refiner only, others can complain or keep mute about theirs if they so wish.

How come pics of our "major contenders" got uploaded and are already getting likes and shares (endorsement) but that of refiner wasn't uploaded along side her profile when in reality every profiles when posted was supposed to be done with photos? Please I need an explanation for this.

cc seun , Wristbangle, mizmycoli
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by Dygeasy(m): 8:41am On Jun 22, 2016
VoteRefiner2016:

Mr Dygeasy is this how a legitimate complain was supposed to be addressed by you?

This handle is presenting refiner and its expected and I commend or complain when it affects refiner only, others can complain or keep mute about theirs if they so wish.

How came pics of our "major contenders" got uploaded and are already getting likes and shares (endorsement) but that of refiner wasn't uploaded along side her profile when in reality every profiles when posted was supposed to be done with photos? Please I need an explanation for this.

cc seun , Wristbangle, mizmycoli

I haven't finished creating the thread and the thread is locked. Please don't make things dramatic.

I'm talking to the mods to help unlock the thread.
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by VoteRefiner2016: 8:47am On Jun 22, 2016
Dygeasy:

I haven't finished creating the thread and the thread is locked. Please don't make things dramatic.

I'm talking to the mods to help unlock the thread.

Dont get me wrong here, sir. Team Refiner saw it and complained about it and asked I ask for the reason for such, that's what birthed this chat of ours, I'm not trying to create a scene here.

Anyways, I have "heard" and I would report your explanation to Team Refiner. And I must commend you especially for the good job you re doing, its well known to all that this task you re handling isn't an easy one. Kudos sir and please keep it up.

Thanks,
May the Good Lord bless your today, sir.
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by Dygeasy(m): 9:10am On Jun 22, 2016
VoteRefiner2016:

Dont get me wrong here, sir. Team Refiner saw it and complained about it and asked I ask for the reason for such, that's what birthed this chat of ours, I'm not trying to create a scene here.

Anyways, I have "heard" and I would report your explanation to Team Refiner. And I must commend you especially for the good job you re doing, its well known to all that this task you re handling isn't an easy one. Kudos sir and please keep it up.

Thanks,
May the Good Lord bless your today, sir.
Thank you very much.

It'll be rectified.

Dominique, Lalasticlala, I sent you mails.

Kindly unlock the thread. Thank you.
Re: 4 Best Ways To Spot A Liar by Project400: 9:48am On Jun 22, 2016
Nice smiley

(1) (Reply)

Yahoo Sold To US Telecoms Giant Verizon for $5billion / How To Start Mini Importation / This Nairalander Needs Advice On Online Business To Start With #5,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.