Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

System Hanging - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / System Hanging (1766 Views)

Help !!! My Hp Mini Laptop Is Freezing & Hanging / How To Solve China Android Tablet Pc Hanging On Android Logo When Booting / Hanging Application Iexplorer.exe Ver 6.0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

System Hanging by CY09: 8:34am On Sep 02, 2009
Hello fellow nairalanders plz how do i go about solving system hanging problem.
Thanking u all for ur anticipated post.
Re: System Hanging by Abatakan: 12:13pm On Sep 02, 2009
When you say`Hanging`at what point? Is it when you using an application? or does it freezes and reboot? any error message? answers to the questions will help in narrowing down the problem if it`s hardware or software?
abatakan
Re: System Hanging by CY09: 1:06pm On Sep 02, 2009
Abatakan:

When you say`Hanging`at what point? Is it when you using an application? or does it freezes and reboot? any error message? answers to the questions will help in narrowing down the problem if it`s hardware or software?
abatakan
It hangs during booting while starting up and also when using applications although i have a 1gb ram still my system runs very slow wat do i do ? sad
Re: System Hanging by BlackRevo: 2:25pm On Sep 02, 2009
what is the operating system u are using and the processor?
Re: System Hanging by deji2009(m): 3:31pm On Sep 02, 2009
what is the operating system u are using and the processor?

Good question @Black_Revo. have always said this nairaland user's should please specify make &model XP or Vista. basics
Re: System Hanging by BlackRevo: 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2009
deji2009:

Good question @Black_Revo. have always said this nairaland user's should please specify make &model XP or Vista. basics

Yes oo i wonder sometimes if they need help from magicians but anyway i don't blame them, they really need help and are in desperate situations with little knowledge on how to go about it. But i think most peeps in Nigeria uses windows 2000 or xp and some vista. While those on linux / mac osx will not have these kind of problems usually.

Do you have access to the library section or how to's here so the rules can be written down there?.
Re: System Hanging by chux76(m): 4:55pm On Sep 02, 2009
I use a hp pavilion dv6000,wit Vista OS ,512ram and 1.73ghz processor and it is really very slow during applications. Could it be the ram or what?. I have updated my avast anti-virus and cleaned the system of any virus,but it still runs slow.Pls who can offer any advice.Thanks a zillion
Re: System Hanging by deji2009(m): 5:58pm On Sep 02, 2009
I use a hp pavilion dv6000,wit Vista OS ,512ram and 1.73ghz processor and it is really very slow during applications. Could it be the ram or what?. I have updated my avast anti-virus and cleaned the system of any virus,but it still runs slow.Pls who can offer any advice.Thanks a zillion

turn it off back on again please

repeatedly keep pressing f10 on your keyboard

you see bios setup utility

use your arrow key to highlight diagnostics press enter

Then do the Hard drive self test and tell us the result (make sure laptop is running throught the mains as this can take 1 hour)

Good Luck
Re: System Hanging by chux76(m): 5:43pm On Sep 05, 2009
@deji2009

This is the result of the hard disk test u asked me to run:
S.M.A.R.T 100% COMPLETE
(QUICK) PASS
(COMPREHENSIVE) PASS
(S.M.A.R.T) PASS

What is your verdict?
And the hanging occurs mostly when I am connected to the internet in cafes,it gets very frustrating,while time ticks away.
Please help
Re: System Hanging by deji2009(m): 10:24pm On Sep 05, 2009
@deji2009

This is the result of the hard disk test u asked me to run:
S.M.A.R.T 100% COMPLETE
(QUICK) PASS
(COMPREHENSIVE) PASS
(S.M.A.R.T) PASS

What is your verdict?
And the hanging occurs mostly when I am connected to the internet in cafes,it gets very frustrating,while time ticks away.
Please help

Good HD test passed. well, you said this usually happen when in you are connecting to cafe's network. it could well be the cafe internet connection speed.I"ll take it you dont have norton security software installed on this machine. and are you connecting by wireless, 3g or by cable ? what type browser you are using firefox, opera or intenet explorer 6 7 or 8 ?, Good luck
Re: System Hanging by deji2009(m): 10:33pm On Sep 05, 2009
@chux76 Most people know that the more programs you have running on your computer at once, the more likely it is that your computer will either run slowly or even crash. What most people don't know is that every time you boot your computer a whole mess of "hidden" programs load in the background. Some of these hidden programs are essential, but most aren't. Turning off some of these hidden programs can significantly increase your computer's performance and reliability.

Click on the Vista start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Type MSCONFIG in the search box and then either press enter on your keyboard or double-click on the MSCONFIG program that appears in the search results. enter your password if prompted then click continue

Once you have successfully passed through Microsoft's User Account Control roadblock, Vista will launch Microsoft's System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab

This takes you to a page with a list of "startup items." Startup items are programs that are automatically loaded every time you turn on your computer. Some startup programs are absolutely necessary, others are simply a waste of RAM, untick the all programme except your virus protection. click apply and ok and follow on screen instructions
Re: System Hanging by curtez: 9:40am On Sep 07, 2009
@chux76 for how long have you been using this computer? and when was it formated last? was the speed like that when you bought it new?  if you can give me this information i would tell you a solution to your problem.
Re: System Hanging by chux76(m): 3:47pm On Sep 07, 2009
@curtez
I bought it some time ago,used,and i have not formatted it since i bought it.It runs on winndows vista,and like i heard,getting most of the drivers for the laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000[dv6220BR]) could be difficult. Its ram was 512mb now 480mb,speed 1.7mhz. Ur diagnosis needed pls

@deji2009
will do as u suggested. I have AVAST anti virus installed,would i still need NORTON? I use Firefox,Opera and IE,firefox freezes up most times so i had to settle with opera.I use IE too,but both browsers @ same time hangs the system
Ur diagnosis
Re: System Hanging by deji2009(m): 5:54pm On Sep 07, 2009
@curtez
I bought it some time ago,used,and i have not formatted it since i bought it.It runs on winndows vista,and like i heard,getting most of the drivers for the laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000[dv6220BR]) could be difficult. Its ram was 512mb now 480mb,speed 1.7mhz. your diagnosis needed pls

@deji2009
will do as u suggested. I have AVAST anti virus installed,would i still need NORTON? I use Firefox,Opera and IE,firefox freezes up most times so i had to settle with opera.I use IE too,but both browsers @ same time hangs the system
your diagnosis

you need a minimum of 2GB or more to run windows vista
Re: System Hanging by emmerinfo(m): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2009
A system's speed depends on lots of things. If u use 1G with vista then your hard disk must not be big size, some below 100Gb is Ok. My advise to is to change you operating system to windows XP and increase you ram to 1gb.
Re: System Hanging by chux76(m): 1:13pm On Sep 10, 2009
emmerinfo:

A system's speed depends on lots of things. If u use 1G with vista then your hard disk must not be big size, some below 100Gb is Ok. My advise to is to change you operating system to windows XP and increase you ram to 1gb.
Doesn't changing from Vista to XP has its problems?,like drivers not working,system performing below par,and all that.IF its possible to change to XP what is the procedure and what are the risks involved?
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Need Help With Universal Usb Modem Driver / Puppy Linux - A Superb Smart Small Fast And Versatile Linux Distro / Effect Of Disabling Processor Core(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.