Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,635 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market (50670 Views)

Naira Gains On Parallel Market For Four Consecutive Days, Now N480/$ / Naira Improves On Parallel Market, Sells At N501/$ / Naira Maintains Gain On Parallel Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by chiefkpokp(m): 5:21pm On Jun 22, 2016
NAIJ.com can report that the new foreign exchange policy by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) may have started taking its toll on the bureau de change operators. Findings on Wednesday afternoon revealed that after the flotation of the Nigerian currency, the BDC guys have started lowering their rates as more banks have been empowered to sell the naira to interested buyers in a bid to have a single market for forex trading.

Rising from its N335/$ rate on Tuesday, the Nigerian currency now trades at N320/$ on the black market as more buyers prefer to purchase from authorised dealers rather than the black marketers. Sources at the BDC informed our correspondent that they have been in trouble since the new policy took effect on Monday, June 20. Although many of the operators are still on the streets, trying to get people to buy their dollar which may soon get beyond their reach if the new CBN policy swings into full implementation. Meanwhile, there are also reports that the CBN sold a massive $100 million at its interbank spot on Tuesday, as the country’s apex bank seeks to pay the backlog of $4bn being owed.

Speaking on the latest development, CBN’s spokesperson, Isaac Okoroafor told Bloomberg that, “It’s our estimate that the bulk of the backlog of orders has been met. “We’re very optimistic that liquidity in the FX market will improve. Whether we decide to intervene again depends on the dynamics.”

The new policy, according to Godwin Emefiele, the CBN govenor, is one that ensured the floating of the Nigerian currency, and the fact that the foreign currency will only be obtained from only a market. When NAIJ.com’s crew went on the streets to ask the BDC operators for their thoughts on the new policy by the central bank, they were quite evasive, as they vowed that they had nothing to say about the new development. Most of them stated categorically that it will not in any way affect their smooth operation.

https://www.naij.com/868653-black-marketers-go-carpet-naira-strengthens-dollar.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Anasko(m): 5:24pm On Jun 22, 2016
we shall make it!!

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by 2sexycom(m): 5:37pm On Jun 22, 2016
lalasticlala, dem say naira done improve ooo. Oya tell people on front page bikonu.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by miteolu(m): 5:49pm On Jun 22, 2016
I will comment after one month of consistency

32 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Psylas(m): 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2016
still where it's

10 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by madridguy(m): 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2016
Nothing to celebrate about, after all I voted for $1-#1. Sai Baba I believe you.

32 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by SamMilla1(m): 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2016
It's back to 340 this evening; Call your Mallam.
The Kangaroo hide and seek policy will be running in circles.
There is no foundation and structure to sustain floating forex policy except CBN knows how much dollar people need in a day, which is impossible.

This is Nigeria, so it's either you devalue and stablize or you stick to your hard-line and criminal disbursement of our dollars to your friends and relatives.
There is too much corruption in the system and it will take years to clear.
Some people will have to be jailed forever before we can achieve that, That's what the Chinese did and maintained.
The problem is that some animals already believe that it's a way of life to cheat the system.
When you appoint your friends and family to CBN or any agency ahead of more qualified people, That's massive corruption. You may think you are doing them a favour but the truth is that you are setting the country back.

Either way, we can only suffer it for a few more years before you either finish your tenure or die. Time takes care of everything.
I am not wishing you death, it's a natural occurrence that seems to target old people more than the young ones.
Just that we fail to acknowledge that.

And before the trigger happy banner pull his trigger, understand that i am just saying the truth and that i don't care. tongue

98 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by NigerDeltan(m): 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2016
I tot i was seeing 280 yesterday?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by flyca: 5:50pm On Jun 22, 2016
At this rate, N1to $1 --- Vision 3050 shocked

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by STEKENT: 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2016
good news
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by LionInZion: 5:52pm On Jun 22, 2016
Goodnews
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by telim: 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2016
The exchange rate of Naira as become un-predictable due to the new CBN policy. It is just flipping and flopping against US dollar
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Moneytize: 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2016
Chai! Heart attack for some people today as they wont like this news.

7 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by PointBlank101: 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2016
Initial gragra but I like the good news

1 Like

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by PointBlank101: 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2016
Initial gragra but I like the good news...
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by folawalesegun: 5:54pm On Jun 22, 2016
Nigeria will be great again

4 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by nosypat(m): 5:54pm On Jun 22, 2016
Ok nice.
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by flyca: 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2016
folawalesegun:
Nigeria will be great again
I know Nigeria will be great one day.... But dat one day is just not in sight yet.

6 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Blurry: 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2016
I do think the trend will continue though especially if CBN continues to intervene. The interbank market continues to trade at above $/N280
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Lexusgs430: 5:56pm On Jun 22, 2016
How does this new forex rate affect DISCO, from dancing DISCO with my electricity supply?

4 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by GENTLETEE(m): 5:56pm On Jun 22, 2016
For once something seem to be working in this country!
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 22, 2016
NigerDeltan:
I tot i was seeing 280 yesterday?
This is parallel market aka black market, 280 is bank rate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Mille: 5:59pm On Jun 22, 2016
Does anyone know a reputable BDC?
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Femich18(m): 6:00pm On Jun 22, 2016
It will still shrink further as demand for dollars at the parallel market reduces. Law of Demand will definitely take effect.

1 Like

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by hrykanu231(m): 6:01pm On Jun 22, 2016
I bought for 295/1 dollar...first Bank early this morning

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by AreaFada2: 6:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
9ja na wa. Bubu said they will never devalue our currency, promised naira/dollar parity. Suddenly, naira is worth around 65% less than govt official rate just a week ago and we are celebrating.

Kai! Even a bonobo monkey can rule 9ja because anything goes. grin cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by nairarules: 6:03pm On Jun 22, 2016
We hope for a better tommorow
Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by optimusprime2(m): 6:03pm On Jun 22, 2016
Its a temporary effect... Common demand and supply law in action.
The truth is, the naira will be permanently devalued to a fixed 280 or 300- 1$
This floating policy is only a short term solution. Its like using ice on an injury, it will feel good for a moment but sooner or later it will melt.
It doesn't even make sense to allow the Forex of an oil exporting country to depend on the demand factor on a long term, its actually risky when oil prices spontaneously drop.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by bigshow11: 6:05pm On Jun 22, 2016
But bank charges on master/visa card are still high

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 22, 2016
Nigeria will be great again?
Nigeria was never ever great

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market by AreaFada2: 6:09pm On Jun 22, 2016
MrTruth4real:

This is parallel market aka black market, 280 is bank rate.
So after floating the money they still have black market?

We were asking how this floatation will remove aboki money changers and bdc from mopping up dollars from official sources through the back door and hiking the parallel market rates again. Some people began to speak grammar to us. As if we do not know that rules specifically exist for breaking in 9ja. grin

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Differentiate A Fake Transfer From An Original One / Savings With KOLO: I Started In January But Gave Up Along The Line. Here's Why- / A Man's Boutique Business From 2005 To 2018 In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.