Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,222 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:51 AM

World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B (23844 Views)

Algeria Vs Nigeria: FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 1 (Full Time) / 2018 World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria Vs Algeria - Who Is Your Man Of The March? / Nigeria Vs Algeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers 3 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Whizzcute(m): 4:58pm On Jun 24, 2016
The Super Eagles of Nigeria has been drawn against Algeria, Cameroon and Zambia in Group B for the World Cup Qualifiers Round 3 draws held today in Cairo, Egypt.
The matches will start by October 2016

This is probably the group of Death.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by seunlayi(m): 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2016
Yea

1 Like

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by sheunsheun(m): 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2016
Its time to start calculating as usual

*picks up my calculator. If Cameroon beat....... And we manage to draw.........

Smh. We might not even make 3rd in that group

I'm sure Lalasticlala will faint after seeing this draw

permanentgrace:
It is obvious there was a gang up against Nigeria in this draw. And this happens at the very wrong time in terms of national unity and co-operation among citizenry. Let's not deceive ourselves, with the current mishaps on ground everywhere, Nigeria can never qualify from this group. #Fact
And there was a gang up against Cameroon and Algeria too? Abeg bros no dey talk with sentiments!!!

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Desmog21(m): 5:00pm On Jun 24, 2016
Below is the draw result

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by bennie1980(m): 5:03pm On Jun 24, 2016
We shall qualify.

12 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by wayodude(m): 5:03pm On Jun 24, 2016
Perfect.

I watched the drawing of lots live on TV. When Nigeria was drawn into group B, which already had Zambia and Cameroun in it the audience got so noisy with sighs and mumblings that the draw host had to ask them to calm down.

This noise was not made by Nigerians, everyone in attendance was either scared for their teams potentially being drawn in that group or perhaps excited by the prospect of seeing Nigeria and Cameroun rekindle their age old rivalry, and this was before Algeria got drawn into group B! The camera was fixed on the faces of the Algerian officials present after they got placed in group B and the look on their faces was a picture.

Anyway let's look at what our opponents are all about:
Algeria:

Strengths: Surely the latest case of a golden generation springing up in African football. They are individually gifted and historically more organised than most African teams especially those from the subsaharan region.It is not news stating that Mahrez is mercurial player and M'bohli a goalkeeper perhaps in the same class as Nigeria's Vincent Enyeama. However Sofiane Feghouli who has just signed for West Ham from Valencia is for me the man to watch here.

Weaknesses: At the last world cup 22 of the 23 players in the Algerian squad were French born. Sometimes their commitment when playing in the Green of Algeria has been questioned by their local fans. If they don't start this campaign well the fans will turn on them! Add to that, these 'French' guys have not been drawn against teams with real footballing pedigree on the continent (eg Ghana, Egypt, Cameroun, Nigeria etc) so haven't been properly tested 'African style' so while they are highly rated they still have it all to prove!

In their most recent away AFCON games against Ethiopia and Tanzania they could only draw 3-3 and 2-2 which isn't any better than the much maligned Super Eagles have managed in recent times.

Finally, they, just like Nigeria do not have a coach. If they make a poor appointment (similar to our Oliseh experiment) then that could be their World Cup dreams over before it started.

Cameroun:
Strengths: Through the ages Cameroonian sides have been known to be physically strong and imposing. They also have a long history of beating Nigeria when it matters most. While it is true that history does not kick a ball, it can be argued that it could indeed play a role in the psyche of both sets of players each time they meet.

Having said that, Nigeria surely has had the upper hand in this fixture for decades. The last time Cameroun beat Nigeria in regulation time was in 1989 in a 1990 World Cup qualifying group game which they won 1 nil in Yaounde in the process knocking out Nigeria. Yes they also won the AFCON in 2000 at Nigeria's expense albeit following a controversial penalty shootout. Vincent Aboubakar of FC Porto will cause problems to all the defences he faces in this group.

Weaknesses: It is a rare situation when one of your strengths can also double as a weakness. Cameroons physicality in playing the game is well documented and teams in recent years prepare well enough to go toe to toe with them in that aspect of the game. It also does not help them that modern footballers are now much fitter than they used to be and hence more difficult to put off with robust tackling and other such antics.

Their physical play when added to their lack of discipline means that when things are not going well in a game they tend to lose their heads and then numerical parity in playing personnel as a consequence. I can already see them playing with 9 men in the latter stages of their away game to Algeria. We shall see.

Zambia:
Strengths: On one day they could seem world beaters and the next more like a collection of amateur plodders. They are notoriously unpredictable. They have the capability to surprise the bigger teams with players based in the continent who are not in the spotlight like their Nigerian and Algerian Euro based counterparts. They did this recently by winning the AFCON without a household name in the team. This team should be the most thoroughly scouted by the opposition in this group if their opponents know what their doing.

Weaknesses: They are not known to currently possess players with the quality of that of the other teams in the group. This is not to say that they don't have good players in the team. It simply means many are not aware of them yet, though they may actually exist.

They are the only team in the group to have never qualified for the World Cup previously. If they start of this campaign with a complex then their wait for an appearance in the World Cup will go beyond Russia 2018.

Conclusion; This group will go to the wire. It may even come down to goal difference. The FA's of each country will be wise to check if teams are tied on points whether priority will given to head to head results or goal difference BEFORE the first game! I am almost certain Zambia don't have enough to win this group but all the other three contenders surely can win it.

2 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by laurel03(m): 5:04pm On Jun 24, 2016
Wetin we do for Caf now... Ds one na serious wickedness... God go win sha for super Eagle. We Must Qualify

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by jieta: 5:05pm On Jun 24, 2016
i don't want to give my self hope that we will qualify.jesus algeria

3 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by bennie1980(m): 5:06pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nigeria, tunisia, cote dvoire,senegal and ghana are representing afrca

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by sheunsheun(m): 5:08pm On Jun 24, 2016
jieta:
i don't want to give my self hope that we will qualify.jesus algeria
Its a hopeless situation my brother, hoping for a miracle tho

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Whizzcute(m): 5:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
sheunsheun:
lets just hope so o, Cameroon & Algeria are favorites to qualify

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by jstbeinhonest(m): 5:20pm On Jun 24, 2016
sheunsheun:

We shall qualify....I just want a foreign coach.
Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Whizzcute(m): 5:26pm On Jun 24, 2016
jstbeinhonest:

We shall qualify....I just want a foreign coach.

I don't Think Nigeria's backwardness in football is coaches, but commitment.our players are not commited to representing their country.

1 Like

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Kontriboy: 5:34pm On Jun 24, 2016
It is a difficult group but qualification is possible. Win all your home matches and pick a least five points on the road. I'm hoping for the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Profayo: 5:35pm On Jun 24, 2016
Some people will blame Buhari for this...
Shout out to UNICUS 2016 especially GLANDERS
Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 24, 2016
Group B seems to be the group of death for me..
Group A, all things being equal, i expect Tunisia to go through.

Group B, either Nigeria or Algeria. North African countries don't find it smooth when they are squared against west African nations. Cameroon seems to be a greater threat for us in this group.

Group C, I expect expect Ivorians to go through but Moroccans will give them a run for their money.

Group D, Senegalese looks to be the strongest team in this group. Burkina bebé will surely pose a threat.

Group E, I give it to Black star of Ghana. They know how to milk out result when it matters. They did it against Egyptian in the last qualifier and this wouldn't be an exception.

Just my thoughts.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by crownprince102: 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
I will suggest we don't waste our scarce resources on going to play this qualify. This is clearly an hopeless situation. We should rather pull out.

Ordinary Tanzania we no fit defeat. As it stand, Zambia still has an edge over us. Our players lacks commitment and zeal to play for the country.

Salah was a nightmare for our defenders. How will they be able to clamp down Riyahd Mahrez, Yacine Brahimi, Sofianne Feghouli, Islam Slimani and the likes?

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by crownprince102: 5:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
casket:

Group B, either Nigeria or Algeria. North African countries don't find it smooth when they are squared against west African nations. Cameroon seems to be a greater threat for us in this group.

Group C, I expect expect Ivorians to go through but Moroccans will give them a run for their money.

Group D, Senegalese looks to be the strongest team in this group. Burkina bebé will surely pose a threat.

Group E, I give it to Black star of Ghana. They know how to milk out result when it matters. They did it against Egyptian in the last qualifier and this wouldn't be an exception.

Just my thoughts.
Just like we were able to defeat Tunisia in 2010 world cup qualifier or the last AFCON qualifier arbi?

Bros Abeg, make we no deceive ourself on top wetin dey do us. Na only ignorance and some how Patriotism will make us believe we have a chance against the Algerians. Their star they parade and their teamwork is terrifying.

Bad pitches might still be against us while playing away in Cameroun and Zambia.

4 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by iamord(m): 5:57pm On Jun 24, 2016
bennie1980:
Nigeria, tunisia, cote dvoire,senegal and ghana are representing afrca
and where will u up Algeria. It seems you have not been keeping tab on them

3 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2016
crownprince102:

Just like we were able to defeat Tunisia in 2010 world cup qualifier or the last AFCON qualifier arbi?

Bros Abeg, make we no deceive ourself on top wetin dey do us. Na only ignorance and some how Patriotism will make us believe we have a chance against the Algerians. Their star they parade and their teamwork is terrifying.

Bad pitches might still be against us while playing away in Cameroun and Zambia.

I perfectly agree with your submission. Algeria has the best players and best team in Africa at the moment but that doesn't mean they are going to have it smooth and clean all the way.
If we put our house in order, we can /will win the group.

4 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Martz101: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2016
casket:

Just my thoughts.

Oga u have not study Africa football atall

4 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 24, 2016
Martz101:

Oga u have not study Africa football atall

Wow, Prof.can you school us ?

I gave my opinion, which i am entitled to , not a verdict !

3 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by omolola15(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
Chai!! Wey I don dey save money wey I go take go Russia. Make i jejely go use my money for something else. No world cup for us. Na so we go calculate and permutate till the last day. I no go even raise my hopes up.

I just wish they can qualify, but it's an uphill task.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by chimah3(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nice one guys!!!
Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by allanphash7(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nigeria is out alresdy

3 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by veekid(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
We go best them; but we may not qualify sha
Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by histemple: 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
With the present level of our football, any group we find ourself is a group of death. Even if we were drawn against Liberia, Gambia, Benin Republic, Libya, Burundi etc.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by dihalao(m): 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2016
B
Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Agimor(m): 6:21pm On Jun 24, 2016
I don't see the Super Eagles coming at on top of that group.

3 Likes

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 24, 2016
Super chicken don enter one chance!

1 Like

Re: World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria In Group B by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 24, 2016
Super chickens don enter one chance!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osita Offor Defends Wrestling Title Against Bobby Lashley In Lagos / Super Eagles Team Arrives Kaduna (photos) / Meet The Medical Professionals In Nigeria's National Sports Teams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.