Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? (44255 Views)

Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / Salary In The Nigerian Army? / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by sexxxxy(f): 11:13am On Nov 29, 2006
Can you all just post what u think is a well deserving salary as in a salary that one can say ,i'm comfortable with as in ,not peak of career,just something that one can say oh u re doing good.

In the above countries.
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by sexxxxy(f): 11:16am On Nov 29, 2006
Does anyone know,as in the brackets?
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by tayokem(m): 11:44am On Nov 29, 2006
nigeria-mim80,000
UK-mim#1000
US-$1300
fairly ok
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by sexxxxy(f): 11:58am On Nov 29, 2006
I asked that cos a friend earns £35,000 per annum in the uk and she's complaining shes not doing well ,like her mates all earn more in th uk and all this other countries,she's 27 years old,
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by dolliepie(f): 1:47pm On Nov 29, 2006
a good annual salary in USA starts frm $150,000.
in nigeria,probably 5million naira and up.
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by PeeDaVinci: 5:41pm On Nov 29, 2006
are you refering to graduate jobs salary or experienced hire?
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by sexxxxy(f): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2006
sexxxxy:

Does anyone know,as in the brackets?

Graduate,
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by English1(f): 6:32pm On Nov 29, 2006
£35,000 is a pretty good salary - more than most people earn.

1 Like

Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 7:45pm On Nov 29, 2006
£35,000 is very good actually.

what industry?
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by sexxxxy(f): 11:46am On Nov 30, 2006
LoverBwoy:

£35,000 is very good actually.

what industry?

IT
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:50pm On Nov 30, 2006
how many years experience?
what industry are her friends in ?

she is being paid like her colleagues in the same position and organisation right?
I think there is an average industry salary http://www.reed.co.uk/salaryCalculator.aspx

if she wants to be paid more she might try investment banking in the city grin but its a dog eat dog world, no room for slackers

maybe she spends alot or she doesnt like her job anymore,tell her to consider the stress those she is comparing herself to with hers

being content is a good thing though wink
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by Consultant(f): 12:10am On Dec 03, 2006
a good annual salary in USA  starts  frm $150,000.

Whoever said this, do you live in the US? and what do you do for a living?

FYI median household income in the US for 2005 was $46326 - household meaning husband + wife; and only 15.73% of all households had annual incomes exceeding $100,000. 

Those who earn more are typically those with graduate degrees, or in choice professions like medicine, pharmacy, consulting or investment banking.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by Druss(m): 10:45am On Feb 19, 2009
You have to consider that if the girl is earning 35k pounds - her counter part in Nigeria earning 20k pounds can save more than her. The girl has to consider council tax, mortgage, income tax, vehicle maintenance fees, cost of living. It is much easier to save in Nigeria.
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by debosky(m): 10:56am On Feb 19, 2009
Druss:

You have to consider that if the girl is earning 35k pounds - her counter part in Nigeria earning 20k pounds can save more than her. The girl has to consider council tax, mortgage, income tax, vehicle maintenance fees, cost of living. It is much easier to save in Nigeria.
How many people earning £20k own homes in Nigeria? People talk of mortgages as if it's a bad thing, but you are actually paying for your home.

It's not a given that someone earning £20k will save more - it depends on style of living. If you earn £35k annually and don't live in London you can save very well if you choose to.

@ sexxy

£35k is VERY good for a graduate position in the UK. The average graduate wage is £25k. People working as consultants might earn much more in the IT business, but I don't think they would be fresh grads. Either way, it's up to an individual to determine what 'doing good' is. Some people will not feel they are doing good until they own a Ferrari, while some will feel they are doing pretty well owning a VW Golf.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 10:59am On Feb 19, 2009
Druss:

The best form of investment one can ever have, trust me!
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 11:00am On Feb 19, 2009
debosky:

How many people earning £20k own homes in Nigeria? People talk of mortgages as if it's a bad thing, but you are actually paying for your home.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 11:04am On Feb 19, 2009
35 k GBP is a good one.
In Nigeria i think from 5milla upward for starters will be fine.

when you have a wife, kids and a home to run, then 10m and above and other sidekicks (very important) should make you happy
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Feb 19, 2009
Poster

£35k graduate starting salary is not bad

Very few firms would pay you that much anyway, i am on a graduate programme with an Engineering Consulting firm and the sector dont pay that much!

Law firms and highflying financial institutions would top that and may even exceed slightly, it is not very common for IT firms to even get close to £35k

Aldi (the discount foodstore) creeps over the £30k mark by the way

Your friend must be lucky, prolly has loads of certificates and maybe some sort of relevant work experience

Debosky

I actually think the average salary is less than £25k for a graduate role

I am sure it is in the region of £21K-£23K

This was the standard figures, when i was applying for graduate jobs and doing researches late 2007!
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by debosky(m): 11:28am On Feb 19, 2009
@ Brash

You are right bro

Graduate starting salaries at AGR employers in 2008
Salary range % of employers
£16,000-£19,000 4.7%
£19,001-£22,000 14.9%
£22,001-£24,000 29.8%
£24,001 - £27,000 20.5%
£27,001-£31,000 8.8%
£31,001-£36,000 13.5%
More than £36,001 7.9%
Source: The AGR Graduate Recruitment Survey 2008: Summer Review

According to latest figures released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the average salary for full-time first degree graduates from 2007 whose destinations were known and who were in full-time employment in the UK six months after graduating was £19,300. This figure comes from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey, which explores graduates’ destinations six months after graduation.

@ sexxy

Earning £35k, your friend is making more money than 80% of graduates. Like I said, I don't know whether this is still regarded as doing well, since that is a personal matter.
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by delaice(m): 12:56pm On Feb 19, 2009
When starting out in IT as a graduate in the UK, £25,000 and above is quite good. Some top class firms would not even give you that starting. For example in my final year at university in 2007, I believe PWC was offering about £21000-£23000 for graduates. However once you have acquired a few years worth of experience in IT, you can be earning £45000 plus depending on you field. I think Business/System Analysts, Some Developers (.Net, Java), DBAs, Architects make the most. However in IT if you want to make the big bucks you need to get in to contract work. Here you can make £400+ a day. I think a good Java developer with a wealth of experience can earn £600/day freelancing for financial firms. Even other fields can make more - Murex and Sophix (Now you are deep in financial software territory) experts can demand £1000 a day. Obviously to enter contracting you normally should have been working for about 3 years and you lose the extra benefits/security of a regular job. And then there is SAP

In IT one important thing is your field. There are so many areas - testers, analysts, system support, developers, DBAs, architects. Then the technology (Oracle, .NET, Java etc.) These two factors will affect the Salary you can demand. And the "worth" of each technology/field fluctuates. Check out this website to keep track of what each skill is demanding: http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

I would say £35000 for a graduate in most fields or someone with less than 2-3 years experience is very good. To earn more, look to Law or Investment Banking.

I would say my thoughts come from last year before I came back to Naij. Dunno how the recession might have affected this.

1 Like

Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by Druss(m): 3:07pm On Feb 19, 2009
debosky and mccrackles , I know quite a few peeps on that range who have their own homes. And when I say homes i mean homes - not owning a small house as is common in the UK.

Kindly ask around - yes it also depends on the person's expenditure, and on the person. However if you ask around from peeps who have done both - you will find it is easier to save in Nigeria.
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 19, 2009
tkb417:

35 k GBP is a good one.

when you have a wife, kids and a home to run, then 10m and above and other sidekicks (very important) should make you happy

No wonder he said I should stay in Naija, You think if I earn close to that i would want to move, wen I no dey craze.
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by Poj1(m): 11:26am On Feb 22, 2009
tkb417:

35 k GBP is a good one.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by wiwf123: 8:36pm On Jun 23, 2009
i want to be a univesity professor, and they say that a tenured professor makes an average $98,000 a year. is that good annual income? also, does anyone know how much elite schools like oxford and st.andrews pay tenured professors, saying i want to teach philosophy or english?
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by sanjhineet: 4:04pm On Apr 20, 2010
My question is almost same, how much Naira/per month salary is good for Sr.Executive Secretary position there in Nigeria
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by JobCarton: 9:13am On Aug 29, 2013
sexxxxy: I asked that cos a friend earns £35,000 per annum in the uk and she's complaining shes not doing well ,like her mates all earn more in th uk and all this other countries,she's 27 years old,
I think £35,000 is quite ok

http://www.researchwatercooler.com
Re: What Is Considered A Good Annual Salary In Usa,uk And Nigeria? by carlos999999: 4:13pm On May 01, 2020
I would like to know how much a Senior M3 Logistics consultant would get in Nigeria?

like this job - https://www.xencore.co.uk/services/senior-m3-warehouse-logistics-consultant/

(1) (Reply)

Police Officer Demoted For Assaulting Medical Doctor In Akwa Ibom / Three Habits That Will Keep You Permanently As An Employee. / 300 Mine Workers Spend 1 Week Underground To Protest Against Boss Who Loves Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.