Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,237 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! (73518 Views)

Small Scale Rabbit Farm / The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) / Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 10:08am On Jul 20, 2016
Surprised!

Eventually I had 2 Does produce bunnies that night!

One of the does gave no signs at all. I just came out early the next day to check and discovered 2 had bunnies.

One had 5 bunnies and the other 8.

They are all doing well. cheesy
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by EUreyin1: 10:16am On Jul 20, 2016
@Oblo that is good news and keep it up. please i would love to buy some rabbits but i live in delta state. where can i get them and the cost
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Tatia(m): 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
Congratulations for the new additions to your Rabbit herd.
Keep up the good work!
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 6:46pm On Jul 20, 2016
EUreyin1:
@Oblo that is good news and keep it up. please i would love to buy some rabbits but i live in delta state. where can i get them and the cost

No worries. You can buy from guys here on nairaland and they waybill to u at delta state. Abi you wan be my first customer? grin grin

Tatia:
Keep up the good work!
Tatia:
Keep up the good work!

Gracias Mucho! cheesy
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2016
So i hear my rabbits and bunnies are growing fast..I travelled a day after bunnies came and would give a better update when i get home tommorow.

grin
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by JustGuy(m): 11:24pm On Jul 23, 2016
oblo:
So i hear my rabbits and bunnies are growing fast..I travelled a day after bunnies came and would give a better update when i get home tommorow.

grin

I'll be looking forward to that.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Georgechris(m): 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2016
Nice Thread eagerly following ur updates.
Meanwhile Contact me if ur interested in fishery biz:George Christopher Fisheries : Contact us for construction of Ur Quality Tarpaulin fish ponds, fingerlings & mature cat fishes 07030815857.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 11:31pm On Jul 25, 2016
So here are some pics...they all doing good.

Lost 2 bunnies though angry angry due to an inexperienced mother and also coupled with the fact I was absent in the first week to really monitor them and swap some of hers with the other mother that gave birth same night as she did..lesson learned. wink

So right now Doe (Blackky) has 7 bunnies and Brownie 4 bunnies for now going strong.

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by masties2(f): 7:18am On Jul 26, 2016
Pavore9:

Those guys are really doing well and their farm trainings are really well attended because they are very practical. They have an eye for high value crops. Visited their stand at a fair and they were selling a kilo of their organic flax seeds for $30 and so huge on value addition as they have yoghurt sweetened naturally with stevia, some flavoured with herbs....Helitech makes sense.

There is a growing weightless industry in Nigeria and they strive on the goods you mentioned. Their only source are speciality stores and they are extremely expensive. This is a good business idea.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Pavore9: 8:22am On Jul 26, 2016
masties2:

There is a growing weightless industry in Nigeria and they strive on the goods you mentioned. Their only source are speciality stores and they are extremely expensive. This is a good business idea.

Fenugreek, Dill seed, chia seeds, flax seed can be sourced around.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2016
@ Pavore9..is there a market for these seeds you mentioned here in nigeria? Or one should think of it as solely an export biz?
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Pavore9: 10:55am On Jul 26, 2016
oblo:
@ Pavore9..is there a market for these seeds you mentioned here in nigeria? Or one should think of it as solely an export biz?

Export? Do we have folks who grow them locally?
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by jaybim: 11:31am On Jul 26, 2016
Hi guys, I'm in Lagos and about to start a small keep
Who has adult males and females and how much (price will determine how many I'll buy) I need them this week, please drop a comment here or WhatsApp 08188273733. Thanks and wish me well.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 11:54am On Jul 26, 2016
Pavore9:

Export? Do we have folks who grow them locally?

I actually do not know if anyone grows locally but if it can grow here locally why hasn't anyone tapped into this? undecided
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Pavore9: 12:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
oblo:

I actually do not know if anyone grows locally but if it can grow here locally why hasn't anyone tapped into this? undecided

They will grow well in Nigeria but as a people, why should we bother when we can import them!

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by jero247: 4:03pm On Jul 26, 2016
apart from the grass what is the other you are giving then to eat?
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 6:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
Pavore9:

They will grow well in Nigeria but as a people, why should we bother when we can import them!

Not with all this loop sided downward spiralling exchange rate. Well I guess the time has come..for we as a people to grow them. grin

jero247:
apart from the grass what is the other you are giving then to eat?

Feed marsh Is part of their diet apart from the greens given.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 5:08pm On Jul 27, 2016
Another litter coming to this space...watch out grin

Here we go! 4 cute little bunnies.. grin

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2016
Another litter of 6 bunnies cheesy

Expecting more

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Pavore9: 7:29am On Jul 28, 2016
oblo:

Not with all this loop sided downward spiralling exchange rate. Well I guess the time has come..for we as a people to grow them. grin

Feed marsh Is part of their diet apart from the greens given.

In the picture are flax seeds and Chia seeds. Each 100g container of the flax seeds sells for $3 while that of Chia seeds sells for $2.40.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 8:03pm On Jul 28, 2016
Nice one Boss Pavore9 .

Will try out my rabbit urine fertiliser soon on a trial patch of tomatoes and cucumber(seeds purchased at shoprite grin grin grin).

From there I would have more first hand knowledge on using rabbit urine as organic nourishment.

2 Likes

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Daniel2802(m): 12:36pm On Aug 03, 2016
@Oblo

Am a teenager and I got inspired by your thread. I live in Porth-harcourt and am planning on starting rabbit farming. How much did u get your matured male and female rabbit? I intend on collecting loan from my parents to start. When I do, I hope to contact you to guide me. Thanks.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2016
So bunnies are. growing fast....had some .other litters as well. Have roughly 30 bunnies so far at different stages of growth.

Looking to fabricate another cage in a bit to accommodate the population explosion grin

Enjoy watching them grow...

4 Likes

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by XieXie: 4:35pm On Aug 07, 2016
Wow congrats Oblo, I love and am inspired by what am seeing here.
Just like yesterday but now your stock is growing.
Congrats sir.

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2016
XieXie:
Wow congrats Oblo, I love and am inspired by what am seeing here.
Just like yesterday but now your stock is growing.
Congrats sir.

Thanks bro. Appreciate the love.

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by mfm04622: 7:18pm On Aug 12, 2016
oblo:
So I was able to put it all together and looking good. Am sure the next one I would construct would be far better and more refined grin(experience is the best teacher abi) wink

I had initially built one similar to the sample I saw.. above..

For me..I think I prefer mine...like someone said..space would be better utilised.

Have a look.

I had gotten 8 females and 2 males. Would be geting another 4females and 2 males later. Lets see how I all pans out. Wish me well! wink

Please, what are the dimensions of the cage? Also can you please snap and post the lower part of the cage both at the front and the back.

Thank you
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 8:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
^^^
I had stated dimensions of the cage and pics as well.

Go through the previous pages I have the specs and pics put up.

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by ikbnice(m): 8:28am On Aug 13, 2016
Breeding rabbits is not a problem with me but how about the sales. There is no market for it in my area.
Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by oblo(m): 12:17pm On Aug 13, 2016
^^^ grin grin

@ ikb..if people can eat snakes..bush rats and other funny looking reptiles... I am surprised you are saying there is no market for rabbit "meat" in your area. Abeg na mars you dey because I want to believe the martians dont eat meat hence your statement ? ; grin grin grin

Check out these facts

[b]Benefits of rabbit meat
 1 - food very useful and ideal for pregnant women:  What You  the pregnant woman Always in Need to a healthy  food and quick to digest and rich in nutrients and rabbits meat is rich in  with vitamins, proteins and minerals also the fibers are easy to digest and chewing and with a good taste  so it's considered to be a very  an important food for pregnant women and children as well.

2. The elimination of obesity and slimming :We mentioned that rabbit meat contain a high proportion of protein and very low and low-fat ratio compared to other types of meat, proteins, of course, a very important vital processes in the body and one kilogram of it contains 350 calories and is thus less types of meat in proportion calories that provide the body with so rabbits meats are a good source of protein for people who are obese and want to lose weight.

3. For patients with hypertension: The rabbit meat food, a very important and useful for patients who suffer from high blood pressure, and this is due to it contains a very small percentage of the element sodium in addition to fit on a balanced important nutrients ratios and so it is a wonderful food, in particular to people who suffering from high blood pressure.

4. Heart disease: rabbit meat is also a good food for heart patients as it is free of harmful cholesterol on cardiovascular health, which makes it a good food for people who suffer from heart disease.

5.  rabbit meat keeps on the bones and teeth health is due to  contain a high proportion of calcium wish is very important  element in bones and teeth formation .

6. rabbit meat contains potassium, magnesium, where the two have an important interest in maintaining the health of the nervous system and strengthens the immune system and protects against stroke.

7. rabbit meat works to strengthens the sexual health because it contains zinc element wich help women against Infertility  and increase sexual potency in men.

8. help get rid of anemia  due to the containment of rabbit meat a high percentage of iron wich is a very  important component of hemoglobin in the blood.

9. help build tissue and muscles, strengthen and this is due to contain a percentage of phosphorus element .

10. help rabbit meat to increase mental activity because they contain potassium, zinc and other  very useful elements for the body.

It should be noted that rabbit meat has become one of the most meat that Europeans accept the  in the last period because a few to contain fat and rich in protein as eating one rabbit equivalent of eating two chickens in the proportion of proteins that the body gets it and thus rabbit meat has become more expensive in comparison with all kinds of other meats 
[/b]

Source: http://tophealthyeating..com.ng/2015/02/what-are-benefits-of-rabbit-meat-10.html?m=1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Pilate2016(m): 1:34pm On Aug 13, 2016
Ezionye:
Nice one op

I did keep rabbits a long time ago. The female finally gave birth and we as young children rushed to carry and pet the baby rabbits. But within hours they were dead cry

We were later told that the mother rabbit refused to care for the young ones cos she sensed the touch of an external person on them.

Is DAT true?

If yes, hw do u clean out their cages without touching or moving the young ones

Well, our mother rabbit later on dug through her cage and into the ground and dissapeared. We just found a hole one morn.

May be you starved her or she is a wild breed. Next time allow her to take care of her young ones. You can clean the cage by just removing the waste materials. If you touch them they won't die but don't separate them from their mother till they ween.

1 Like

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 13, 2016
Wow, I enjoy this thread and will be following @ oblo. I pray you get a rewarding market for your products.

The fur, meat and urine. You can even create a brand. Yes, if 10 can give you 22 litrs in 2weeks, let's say you have 50, imagine what you will be getting in a month.

My advice op, have an open mind, if there won't be market here, there will be outside the country, and yes you can be exporting.

Start small(which you have), dream big, expand your horizon.

Success.

2 Likes

Re: Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! by REUBEN010(m): 6:35am On Aug 14, 2016
Nice thread. I've got a question and will appreciate an answer. Abortion was experienced in 2 pregnant Does that are always fed calopogonium and elephant grass. Please what is the cause and possible solution? How can this be prevented in future?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Apple Cultivation In Nigeria.(pictures) / Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured / If Banana Grew & Entered Your Compound Like This, What Would You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.