Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,500 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:35 PM

What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) (2306 Views)

The Mysterious And Unexplored Corners Of The Earth(Photos) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by CrazyScientist: 10:45am On Jun 25, 2016
The earth is spinning (ROTATION) and we are spinning along with it, but what if the earth suddenly stopped spinning ?

Firstly, you’d GAIN WEIGHT, but that’s just the beginning of your worries. At the equator, the earth spins at about 465m/s, if you could jump and stay in the air without the earth’s spin affecting you, you’d see the earth rotate at that speed, how cool! However, you cant jump without the earth’s spin affecting you, as the earth spins along with everything in it, that’s why if the earth were to suddenly stop rotating, the result would be CATASTROPHIC!

1) FLUNG AWAY: Immediately, everything not in a fixed position would be flung away due east at over 1000m/h, you wouldn’t be flung into space cause escape velocity is about 25,000m/h, but your body can be compared to a speeding bullet, OUCH,people in airplanes would have a better chance of survival, provided thay can navigate around the storm of flying people and things, astronauts out in space would have a even greater chance of survival, but there might probably be no one waiting for them below as esarth would have become a massive graveyard.
[img]https://nerdvarsity.files./2016/06/tsunami-facts-update-earthquake-japan_33135_600x4501.jpg?w=1108[/img]

2) DEADLY WINDS: the result of a no more rotating earth would cause friction between the earth and planetary winds which would lead to storms likeable to an atomic bomb detonation.

3) 365 DAYS PER SUNLIGHT: The earth would no longer be 24hrs/day but everyday would be day for those facing the sun, which would lead to…
4) UV RAYS: we would be exposed to high amount of radioactive rays from the ever shining sun

Oceans would surge forward and cover the earth due to the inertia,then gradually recede back as the earth would bulge at the middle turning it to a more perfect sphere than it is now.

WOAH! I WOULDN’T WANT TO EXPERIENCE THAT, KEEP ROTATING EARTH, KEEP ROTATING…

We don’t feel the rotation of the earth underneath us, because the earth is just so large, imagine sitting in a car that takes 6hours to take a turn…

WHAT IF THE EARTH SPINS FASTER ?

Well, if the earth spins faster, the centripetal force of its spin on us would overcome that of the gravity pulling us and giving us weight, so we would gradually become weightless, so for those that want to reduce weight, HERE’S A DIET IDEA, pray the earth spins faster… grin '

SOURCE: https://nerdvarsity./2016/06/25/what-if-the-earth-stopped-spinning/#more-25
more interesting articles (What If The Sun Disappeared, What If Every One On Earth Jumps At Once...) @ nerdvarsity.
kindly like and share.

CC: lalasticlala

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by greatnaija01: 10:55am On Jun 25, 2016
How would this affect the hearing of buhari or affect the issues in the nation. Life goes on.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by xender(m): 11:34am On Jun 25, 2016
Waw...if it stops the the world ends.

END TIME.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by moredollar(m): 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2016
greatnaija01:
How would this affect the hearing of buhari or affect the issues in the nation. Life goes on.
Wetin concern Buhari for this matter now? Na wa o......

1 Like

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by callmelanner(m): 1:53pm On Jun 25, 2016
This is the only interesting piece I have read on nairaland this week smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by mlanreh: 2:00pm On Jun 25, 2016
Keep rotating earth

1 Like

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by haxorDelite(m): 2:01pm On Jun 25, 2016
good to know!
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by Elxandre(m): 3:18pm On Jun 25, 2016
Well, the sun won't keep shinning 24/7!

Dont forget everywhere on earth can't get sunlight at the same time, because there's no way light from a source can completely illuminate a spherical object.

1 Like

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by nsiazu: 3:19pm On Jun 25, 2016
GOD IS SO WONDERFUL
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by boss1310(m): 4:29pm On Jun 25, 2016
this shows that Nairaland still have hope of going back to being the best Nigerian interactive forums.not these ethnic bashing posts,lewd pictures and constant made up posts we see everyday.thank you OP you made my weekend

1 Like

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by 247NewsUpdateNG: 4:30pm On Jun 25, 2016
If the earth were to rotate faster, its gravitational surge would increase, depending on the increase in rotation, and it would result in massive earthquakes and tsunamis.

If you jump up a little, you are likely to end up with broken legs when you hit the ground.

2 Likes

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by 247NewsUpdateNG: 4:33pm On Jun 25, 2016
Elxandre:
Well, the sun won't keep shinning 24/7!

Dont forget everywhere on earth can't get sunlight at the same time, because there's no way light from a source can completely illuminate a spherical object.

The sun shines 24 hours, 365 days (366 on a leap year. If the part you are on is under direct contact with the sun, it would keep shining on you.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by Elxandre(m): 6:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
247NewsUpdateNG:

The sun shines 24 hours, 365 days (366 on a leap year. If the part you are on is under direct contact with the sun, it would keep shining on you.
this is what my post implies!
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by VocalWalls: 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2016
The oceans would eventually migrate to the poles, flooding much of the northern
and southern hemispheres and creating a huge land mass around the equatorial circumference. This would be due to the fact that the Earth has a bulge at its equator, rendering the poles closer to the Earth's center and thus under greater influence from the Earth's gravity. The lack of centrifugal force from a spinning Earth allows this gravity to pull the oceans towards the poles.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by Oahray: 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2016
Em... What if it isn't an abrupt stop? What if it decelerates slowly before it stops? Same effect?

Remember inertia dey dia.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by KillerBeauty(f): 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
This is cool
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by CrazyScientist: 9:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
Oahray:
Em... What if it isn't an abrupt stop? What if it decelerates slowly before it stops? Same effect?

Remember inertia dey dia.

the spin of the earth is gradually slowing down ,but we dont feel it cause it gradual and with the size of the earth compared to its speed we dont feel it, like a car that makes a right or left turn every 6hours, Read more on how we can affect the speed of the earth's rotation (and what would happen if every single person on earth jumps at the exact same time) here: https://nerdvarsity./2016/06/25/what-if-every-one-on-earth-jumped-at-once/#more-41
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by prof800(m): 9:43pm On Jun 25, 2016
I like your sci-fi questions and answers. Cheers.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by Oahray: 2:09am On Jun 26, 2016
CrazyScientist:

the spin of the earth is gradually slowing down ,but we dont feel it cause it gradual and with the size of the earth compared to its speed we dont feel it, like a car that makes a right or left turn every 6hours, Read more on how we can affect the speed of the earth's rotation (and what would happen if every single person on earth jumps at the exact same time) here: https://nerdvarsity./2016/06/25/what-if-every-one-on-earth-jumped-at-once/#more-41
well I feel it when I'm in a car and it makes a left or right turn, slow or fast.

So how do you know the spin of the earth is slowing down? Guesses like most speculative theories?
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by CrazyScientist: 9:38am On Jun 26, 2016
Oahray:
well I feel it when I'm in a car and it makes a left or right turn, slow or fast.

So how do you know the spin of the earth is slowing down? Guesses like most speculative theories?

scientists calculate it using satellites and special technology, the time on your phone now is actually incorresct, cause these scientists give the overall time zones their time depending on the spin of the earth, the only correct clock is the atomic clock. in a thousand years from now, scientists have calculated that a day would become 25HOURS! due to this reduction in speed. one notable organization is Time Services of the US Naval Observatory.
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by sinaj(f): 12:17pm On Jun 26, 2016
Scary!

I dnt wnt to imagine d sun disappearing too.

Thoughts like diz scare me to d bone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by MidasTouche01(m): 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2016
sinaj:
Scary!

I dnt wnt to imagine d sun disappearing too.

Thoughts like diz scare me to d bone
Not only u dear, sometimes I just wish scientists will leave somethings 'uninvestigated'

Sebi they said what we don't know can't hurt us gringrin
Re: What If The Earth Stopped Spinning (+pics) by sinaj(f): 4:05pm On Jun 26, 2016
MidasTouche01:
Not only u dear, sometimes I just wish scientists will leave somethings 'uninvestigated'

Sebi they said what we don't know can't hurt us gringrin
lol tru

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Watch Out For Sand Banks At Computer Village. Fake Power Banks Exposed!(photos) / How The Human Face Might Look In 100,000 Years - Scary - Big Eyes / What If Every One On Earth Jumped At Once (+PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.