Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,146,301 members, 7,792,594 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri (624 Views)

Two Nlanders Invites The Nairaland Family To Their Wedding. See Pre Wedding Pics / Man Asks Ex-Fiancee’s Family To Pay Back All The Money He Spent On Her / Lady Accused Of Being Edible Caterer Comes Out To Deny Allegations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by mondayebeta1: 7:45pm On Jun 25, 2016
"Dear Pulse,
My name is Abiodun, a 42-year-old woman. I am married with three children. I happen to come from a wealthy family where my late father inherited great wealth and landed properties from his family which naturally, should be shared amongst his children.

My father had four wives and 26 children, with me being the seventh child from the third wife. In all, we have 14 daughters from all the wives but after the demise of my father 10 years ago, some of our family elders have refused to give the daughters any portion of our father's property, claiming that since we are women, we should not partake in what our father owned.

Their idea is that we will all get married and as such, we should not lay claim to anything out dad owned. I must say that this position is not taken by some of them, especially our blood brothers but the stingy ones have vowed to deal with us traditionally if we insist we must get something.

When my father was alive, he had divided some of his property amongst his children but upon his death, the family chased us out. Even the shop I had in one of my father's shopping complex was destroyed and my goods worth millions of naira vandalized.

At one point, we went to court but the court told us to go and settle it within the family but all attempts to get what rightly belonged to us were rebuffed.

My questions now are these: is there anything wrong for a female child to get part of her father's inheritance? Is there any law in Nigeria that says a daughter has not right to her father's property?

MONBEST."

Dear readers, on Morning Teaser today, we reiterate Abiodun's question: is there any law that says a daughter should not get part of her father's property?

Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by halfricanadian(f): 7:49pm On Jun 25, 2016
You dont need ur father success create ur own success that has been my motto
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by Beamborla(f): 8:00pm On Jun 25, 2016
It's your due.
It's your right.
It's your inheritance...you shouldn't be denied of it on any ground except proven beyond doubt that you are an illegitimate child.

This is one of the things the gender opportunity bill seeks to address. Yet some women are against it. Men I can understand but woman...
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by halfricanadian(f): 8:03pm On Jun 25, 2016
Beamborla:
It's your due.
It's your right.
It's your inheritance...you shouldn't be denied of it on any ground except proven beyond doubt that you are an illegitimate child.

This is one of the things the gender opportunity bill seeks to address. Yet some women are against it. Men I can understand but woman...

I bliv in personal success nt parent inheritance
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by Beamborla(f): 8:35pm On Jun 25, 2016
halfricanadian:

I bliv in personal success nt parent inheritance
So do I. But what is yours is yours.
One should not allow him or herself to be cheated because of his or her gender

She should be given. It's then left to her to accept or reject.
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by halfricanadian(f): 8:38pm On Jun 25, 2016
Beamborla:

So do I. But what is yours is yours.
One should not allow him or herself to be cheated because she is a lady.

She should be given. It's then left to her to accept or reject.

Well ur bliv bt i bliv if u arent given u go out nd get it ursef nothing beats dat
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by Samzack(m): 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2016
halfricanadian:
You dont need ur father success create ur own success that has been my motto
Well dats very TRUE i dont c d reason fighting over someone else wealth itz 2 outdated cr8 ur owm wealth nd u never get 2 give a f*** bout anoda person
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by Beamborla(f): 9:08pm On Jun 25, 2016
halfricanadian:

Well ur bliv bt i bliv if u arent given u go out nd get it ursef nothing beats dat
Women would keep getting cheated if we continue to shy away from fighting for our right. She should go out and get it, every other lady in her shoes should go out to get it... When will the discrimination come to an end? She should also let go if she is denied a job because of her gender?

This is not all about inheritance, this is about a woman being punished because of her gender. This is gender discrimination.

1 Like

Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by halfricanadian(f): 9:12pm On Jun 25, 2016
Samzack:

Well dats very TRUE i dont c d reason fighting over someone else wealth itz 2 outdated cr8 ur owm wealth nd u never get 2 give a f*** bout anoda person

Spot on cheesy cheesy
Re: Morning Teaser ‘is It Right For A Family To Deny A Daughter Her Father’s Inheri by halfricanadian(f): 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2016
Beamborla:

Women would keep getting cheated if we continue to shy away from fighting for our right. She should go out and get it, every other lady in her shoes should go out to get it... When will the discrimination come to an end? She should also let go if she is denied a job because of her gender?

This is not all about inheritance, this is about a woman being punished because of her gender. This is gender discrimination.

See to fight gender discrimination she has to go out make money b powerful then come back ns fight them

(1) (Reply)

Do You Like Nigerian Men That Hang Around African American Women? / Confiding In Others(the consequences ) / Questions For All Daters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.