Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,588 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Durban: Children Drank Disposed HIV Blood - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Durban: Children Drank Disposed HIV Blood (553 Views)

10 Early Symptoms Of HIV Every Person Should Be Aware Of To Get Timely Treatment / Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) / ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Durban: Children Drank Disposed HIV Blood by bet9ja(m): 8:57pm On Jun 26, 2016
Disposed blood tube Caused Panic in Durban

Two kids who are 3 and 7 years of age, found the blood sample (HIV blood) in a case and guardians are worried that their kids may have inebriated a portion of the blood from the test tubes.

Mother of one of the kids, Sindi Mthembu, said her child arrived home last Sunday with blood on his entire body, but when she asked him he said “I was killing a monster”.

"I took my son to school the next day and other parents asked me if i knew what had happened the previous day", said Sindi Mthembu.

“They told me what really happened to my child and explained what they (the children) had been doing.

“All the parents went to the landlord to explain the matter and they decided to go to the lady who owns the laboratory and who was responsible for the medical waste that the children were playing with,” said Mthembu.

Another Parent, Avi Nyawassi, whose 3-year-old had additionally been playing with the blood, was likewise to a great degree troubled about the episode and said that the kids didn't know what they were doing.

“The children went outside to play around the yard and when they came back, they were carrying test tubes and blood was spilling everywhere. The blood was on their hands, shoes and clothes,” she said.

The owner of the private laboratory Mnisi said some of her blood tests were for patients who had been diagnosed with HIV and have to have their CD4 count checked.

It was confirmed that the kids were also taken to the clinic.

“They tested my child and it came back negative, but my child still suffers from the side effects; he always sleeps till 1pm and constantly suffers from diarrhoea and vomiting.” Said Nyawassi.

Professor Lucille Blumberg who lecture at the Institute for Communicable Diseases said that there were “very strict protocols” for storage and security for laboratories.

“A formal investigation needs to be done and future incidents need to be prevented,” said Blumberg.

Source: http://www.soutynews.co.za/news/children-drank-disposed-hiv-blood/

Re: Durban: Children Drank Disposed HIV Blood by playtheblues(f): 9:40pm On Jun 26, 2016
God have mercy!

Why are some labs so careless?
Re: Durban: Children Drank Disposed HIV Blood by Flexherbal(m): 8:31am On Jun 27, 2016
That was carelessness on the part of the lab owner.

(1) (Reply)

Help...my Younger Brother Has Staphylococcus Aureus / How To Remove Dry And Dark Skin From Your Neck, Elbows, Knees And Under Arms / Medicinal Advantages Of Orange Juice You Must Know About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.