Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust (3549 Views)

Drunk Teen Got Her Head Stuck In Truck Exhaust Pipe For 45 Mins In US / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates / Black Exhaust Smoke In Rx300 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by AutosBay(m): 10:15pm On Jun 26, 2016
How often have you been a victim of the “dual exhaust” debate? We’ve probably heard it a thousand times at Lakeshore Ford: the endless squabbling over whether dual exhaust is better than single exhaust. Some people think that dual exhaust is naturally better in every single instance, but this isn’t the case. Read on to find out which is best for you.
Single Exhaust Benefits

The single exhaust system has a variety of benefits that make it the system of choice for many car drivers. One of the biggest is that it’s the cheapest: most vehicles are factory equipped as single exhaust, meaning you don’t have to change anything. Single exhaust systems are also lighter and increase your exhaust gas velocity. They are also easier to replace and cheaper to modify. However, your absolute flow suffers, as its limited to a single pipe.

Dual Exhaust Benefits

The benefits of a dual exhaust system depend on your goals. They are definitely louder than a single exhaust system which is great if you’re looking for that sexy “growl” that comes from a powerful dualie. They also increase absolute flow (as there are two pipes instead of one) giving you a more powerful get-up-and-go feeling. However, dualie’s are definitely more expensive and are pretty unnecessary for non-high performance vehicles as they offer little benefits to these lower powered vehicles.

Which Should I Get?

Again, it all depends on the goals of your vehicle as well as the vehicle itself. Dual exhaust systems are great for heavy pick-up trucks as they enhance its natural growl, increase its flow, and boost its acceleration slightly. However, a dual exhaust will do little for, say, a Ford Taurus, as it simply doesn’t have the kind of power and drive that makes a dual exhaust necessary. It’ll simply make your Taurus louder with little performance benefits.

Honestly, the best way to know if you should or shouldn’t get a dualie is to ask a trusted service center or dealership. They can examine your car and give you an opinion. They may even give you a free opinion over the phone based on the make and model of your car.
http://blog.lakeshoreford.com/is-dual-exhaust-right-for-me/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by kingreign(m): 10:35pm On Jun 26, 2016
Exhausts in cars are meant for expulsion o waste gases, yea some can add or rob some powers from engines (design dependent). I'd however prefer dual exhaust setups to single exhausts due to the fact that they allow for lesser restrictive waste gas expulsion meaning a much more better breathing and performing engine (for a high performance engine).
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by AutosBay(m): 10:56pm On Jun 26, 2016
@ kingreign different strokes for different folks
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by Israel5(m): 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2016
Arrange dis scrap nd cal me bck

1 Like

Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by teddyYz: 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2016
I have learnt something today
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by MontyNG(m): 1:01am On Jun 28, 2016
I thought the choice of single or dual exhaust system depends on the engine layout... So this question is like asking what kind of engine you would like!

Let me explain...

Straight line engines - or L engines will have single exhausts! eg If all the cylinders of the engine are in a single line, then it will only exit on one side and therefore you'll have a single exhaust!
Popular examples in cars in Nigeria are all your "4plug" engines that have all the cylinders in a line

If it's a V engine... then you'll have a dual exhaust setup because you'll have 2 lines of cylinders with each exiting on each side of the engine
eg are your V6, V8 and V12 engines (V12 not so common)

Then you have your W engines which will have 4 lines of cylinders and therefore, you'll get 4 exhausts
eg W8, W12, and W16 engines (Bugatti veyron for example is a W16 engine... one of the few W16s out there and the biggest engine out there at the moment)

That's how it is... Having a single exhaust doesn't limit the flow of anything like the OP said so it can't be a disadvantage... It's just what the engine needs!
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by Stylz69(m): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2016
MontyNG:
I thought the choice of single or dual exhaust system depends on the engine layout... So this question is like asking what kind of engine you would like!

Let me explain...

Straight line engines - or L engines will have single exhausts! eg If all the cylinders of the engine are in a single line, then it will only exit on one side and therefore you'll have a single exhaust!
Popular examples in cars in Nigeria are all your "4plug" engines that have all the cylinders in a line

If it's a V engine... then you'll have a dual exhaust setup because you'll have 2 lines of cylinders with each exiting on each side of the engine
eg are your V6, V8 and V12 engines (V12 not so common)

Then you have your W engines which will have 4 lines of cylinders and therefore, you'll get 4 exhausts
eg W8, W12, and W16 engines (Bugatti veyron for example is a W16 engine... one of the few W16s out there and the biggest engine out there at the moment)

That's how it is... Having a single exhaust doesn't limit the flow of anything like the OP said so it can't be a disadvantage... It's just what the engine needs!
Not necessarily. Some 4 cylinder engines actually have dual exhausts ( though i cannot confirm whether any exhaust gases come out of the second one)and some V6 engines have single exhaust ( though some SUV and car manufactures crate a dummy second exhaust for looks only) eg the Prado had only one exhaust but they create a dual exhaust look on the rear fender making it seem like it's a dual
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by MontyNG(m): 3:34pm On Jun 28, 2016
Stylz69:

Not necessarily. Some 4 cylinder engines actually have dual exhausts ( though i cannot confirm whether any exhaust gases come out of the second one)and some V6 engines have single exhaust ( though some SUV and car manufactures crate a dummy second exhaust for looks only) eg the Prado had only one exhaust but they create a dual exhaust look on the rear fender making it seem like it's a dual

Yes you're right... some will add a second exhaust but this will be purely for show and nothing else! Pretty pointless in my opinion!

EDIT:

I've also seen some V6 engines take the two exhaust lines into a single exhaust tip! This is done usually to save cost... some argue it creates more back pressure on the exhaust line and gives a gruntier sound.

Single exhaust setups (L engines) can also be made to output on duals will give a cleaner sound and may arguably suffer performance issues!
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by ivoryhouse(m): 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2016
MontyNG:

Yes you're right... some will add a second exhaust but this will be purely for show and nothing else! Pretty pointless in my opinion!

EDIT:

I've also seen some V6 engines take the two exhaust lines into a single exhaust tip! This is done usually to save cost... some argue it creates more back pressure on the exhaust line and gives a gruntier sound.

Single exhaust setups (L engines) can also be made to output on duals will give a cleaner sound and may arguably suffer performance issues!

Why would any car manufacturer waste money on a dummy exhaust when he is battling to keep his prices competitive? If its there its working. Most multiple exhaust ports are v8 and higher, turbo charged (sport tuned new models) or modified by the owner. Please correct me if am wrong
Re: Single Exhaust Vs Double Exhaust by MontyNG(m): 10:46pm On Jun 28, 2016
ivoryhouse:

Why would any car manufacturer waste money on a dummy exhaust when he is battling to keep his prices competitive? If its there its working. Most multiple exhaust ports are v8 and higher, turbo charged (sport tuned new models) or modified by the owner. Please correct me if am wrong

Dummy exhaust will usually be a modification! In this day and age of trying to save every penny off the cost of manufacturing, Dummy exhaust will only be a personal modification - most likely by a chav

(1) (Reply)

Error Codes P0420 And P2423 / A Review Of Some Of The Very Cool Cars I Drove Lately....Santa Fe. (Part 1) / Am Auto Electrician Ask Me Any Question Concerning The Electrical Problems In Ur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.