Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,485 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : (4325 Views)

My Oga At The Top Poetry Contest (over N1.5 M naira worth) 24 hrs to go / Bassey Ikpi Announces Nigeria Trip And Poetry Contest #naijapoetryslam / Poetry Contest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by RuuDie(m): 4:22pm On Nov 29, 2006
Hi Landers ,

read some really cute poems here , really gotta give it up 2 some of u guys; I thot i was good but some of the poems here make me look like a 99% handicap! embarassed

does anybody know any sites where one can enter poetry contests , I've tried poetry.com a handful of times and i need something different ,
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by teno(f): 1:35pm On Nov 30, 2006
poetry .com is no place to be.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by Yimsfred(m): 4:39pm On Jan 16, 2007
www.poetry.com is real.
I've won several times and recently got published in the International Who is Who in Poetry. Just that when such awards come, they charge as much as 50 dollars per copy of the book. I also got a lapel.
It's however not possible for everyone to win as peots are randomly selected by experts
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by franc1982(m): 4:42pm On Jan 22, 2007
IF U WANT UR IDEA STOLEN, KEEP ON SEARCHING! grin
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by kkutecolo(f): 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2007
poetry.com doesnt recognise poets 4mrm nigeria in their competitions.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by Orikinla(m): 12:47am On Apr 08, 2007
kkutecolo:

poetry.com doesnt recognise poets 4mrm nigeria in their competitions.

Poetry.com is a business venture.
They tickle your poetic fancies and publish as many poems as possible and ask you to buy the anthology for as much as $50 a copy and only a dummy will pay $50 for a copy of the anthology you co-authored.

In Nigeria, co-authors of an anthology get up to three complimentary copies and also share in the royalties.

Then the established literary bodies in America and Europe charge as much as $10 entry fee per poem in poetry competitions and poetry competitions are now big money making business in America and Europe to take advantage of the naivety and vanity of literary "wannabes".

I advise you to visit the British Council online for links to highly recommended poetry competitions.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by ayomorocco(f): 7:32pm On May 13, 2007
RuuDie:

does anybody know any sites where one can enter poetry contests , I've tried poetry.com a handful of times and i need something different ,

There is currently a writing competition going on (both Prose and Poetry). It's the Bridport prize and you can read the rules and enter online at www.bridportprize.org.uk.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by RuuDie(m): 12:17pm On May 15, 2007
Orikinla:

Poetry.com is a business venture.
They tickle your poetic fancies and publish as many poems as possible and ask you to buy the anthology for as much as $50 a copy and only a dummy will pay $50 for a copy of the anthology you co-authored.

In Nigeria, co-authors of an anthology get up to three complimentary copies and also share in the royalties.

Then the established literary bodies in America and Europe charge as much as $10 entry fee per poem in poetry competitions and poetry competitions are now big money making business in America and Europe to take advantage of the naivety and vanity of literary "wannabes".

I advise you to visit the British Council online for links to highly recommended poetry competitions.

right as rain man!
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 9:45pm On May 19, 2007
U learn new things everytime.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by denex: 12:02am On Jun 01, 2007
www.poetry.com is a total sham. Right now, they've even removed the option of Nigerians participating. Good riddance!
Well ANA organises poetry competitions for authors of poetry, prose and other works of literature.
However there are far more amateur poets than authors. Besides, isn't it ironic that established authors should be encouraged while upcoming poets are ignored.
Anyways, we're holding our own national poetry contest with the support of almighty First Bank. So y'all keep your fingers crossed.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2007
denex:

www.poetry.com is a total sham. Right now, they've even removed the option of Nigerians participating. Good riddance!
Well ANA organises poetry competitions for authors of poetry, prose and other works of literature.
However there are far more amateur poets than authors. Besides, isn't it ironic that established authors should be encouraged while upcoming poets are ignored.
Anyways, we're holding our own national poetry contest with the support of almighty First Bank. So y'all keep your fingers crossed.

Why have Nigerians been excluded? And do keep us posted about the poetry contest.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by RuuDie(m): 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2007
denex:

About time 2 !!!
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2007
We'll see whether it does actually happen or not. undecided Hopefully, it does (and sometime soon too).
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by Oracle(m): 1:31am On Aug 06, 2007
I've tried many sites but realised there weren't genuine.
Itz really gonna be hard to get a genuine poetry contest site.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 9:49pm On Aug 06, 2007
Quite a number of sites ask you to pay for the "priviledge" of entering your poem in their contests.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by k0be: 9:51pm On Aug 06, 2007
you can have a nairaland poetry contest, lol grin
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 10:46am On Aug 07, 2007
k0be:

you can have a nairaland poetry contest, lol grin

LOL. Who shall be the judges? LOL. I see blows being thrown by contesting poets. grin
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by k0be: 10:53am On Aug 07, 2007
i can be a judge grin, i feel i can appreciate good poetry when i see one.
hopefully the poems won't be exceptionally long and boring, those kind of poems would warrant automatic disqualification from me.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2007
lol
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by twitch(m): 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2007
There You Have it:

www.bridportprize.org.uk
www.bridportprize.org.uk,
www.bridportprize.org.uk, Check it out, you should find a contest suitable for you.

P.S dont mind my repeating the site, its just that i noticed someone referred you to it but you did not acknowledge.
please Mr.Critique check 'em out, if you are seriously interested in WRITING CONTESTS
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2007
The Bridport prize is now closed until next year. For those who took part in this year's competition, the results will be released in November 2007.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by denex: 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2007
What's making some people Laugh Out Loud over a nairaland Poetry Contest?

There are plans to put together a poetry contest for Nairaland with First Bank Nigeria sponsoring. It's just that the Nairaland admin is not quite convince that there are members who support this. Quite honestly with the jokes I've just seen about a nairaland poetry contest, I'm sharing that view too. Anyhow, for those who want to see such a competition happen in November/December, please indicate by letting the admin or moderator know.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by member133561(m): 10:19am On Oct 03, 2007
helo if u want something good trywww. helium.com.i've just begun there so i can't approve of any ideal thing 4 now
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by RuuDie(m): 12:52pm On Oct 03, 2007
Gosh. . . . its so deathly quiet in here!

N.A.K.E.D:

helo if u want something good trywww. helium.com.i've just begun there so i can't approve of any ideal thing 4 now

do u organize competitions
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by Trevelyan(m): 9:18pm On Oct 11, 2007
Check voicesnet.com,poetryamerica.org,writerscafe.org n dailypoem.co.uk, i bliv ul find sum reasonable stuf in ther!
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by SMC(f): 9:50pm On Dec 12, 2007
Good Info!
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by jide5: 5:38pm On Jan 13, 2008
I have some recognition from Poetry.com. But I must say it was disappointing because I had to post with a different address because 'Nigeria is not in their list of nations.'
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by TrueBrit: 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2008
Someone said Something similar in the not too distant past.
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by area(m): 5:21pm On May 31, 2008
hello i am like the newest gy to know of thisa shit why do we have to go to them at poetry .com when we can contest and win here at home even if not for cash prices

if you think you are a good poet try sad "poeting"
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by ipc: 1:42pm On Jun 24, 2008
there is a poetry competition site now in nigeria www.loudthotz.com
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by nonso3k(m): 10:58am On Jun 27, 2008
aint nothing free on the internet,got to pay one way or the other
Re: Any Poetry Contest Sites 'round : by izeek(m): 11:16am On Jul 08, 2008
I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING BREWING HERE, AND YOU ALL ARE INTERESTED WE CAN MAKE ARRANGEMENT FOR THESE CONTEST HERE.
ITS CAN BE SIMPLY DONE AND WELL ORGANISED, WITH REPUTABLE JUDGES INVOLVED.
THIS IS NAIJA AND WE HAVE TO MOVE AHEAD FOR OURSELVES.

I PROPOSE TOW WAYS,

1. WE CAN EITHER MAKE A WEBSITE FOR JUST AN ONLINE POLLING HERE ON ALL NIRALAND THREADS ASKIGN THEM TO VOTE THE BEST POEM OF THE MONTH,

OR TWO GET PPL OF GRET MINDS TO ANALYSE AND SELECT THE BEST THREE.

EITHER WAY,

SOME KINDA PRIZE WILL BE REWARDED TO THE INDIVIDUAL THAT WINS.

LIKE MAKING THAT PERSON A CO- MODERATOR ON THIS SITE.
SEUN I THINK YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT THIS.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Can Mention Achebes Book. How Many Soyinka Book U Sabi / Digital Publishing / The Begining Of The End;a Novella.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.