Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) (17327 Views)

Checkout This Nigeria-made Mobile Mechanic Truck (photo) / Here’s Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On An Empty Tank / See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by AutosBay(m): 11:18am On Jun 27, 2016
Do not (and I can't stress this enough) ride alongside a truck, ever. Scenario: You're in the left lane trying to pass a truck in the right. If there's a car in front of you, and you're both not passing the truck quickly, and you're sort of "lingering" waiting for the asshat in front of you to move on, you're in the kill zone. Two horrible things can happen. First and most obvious, if the truck loses control or has to change lanes quickly, you're going to get crushed because the truck has nowhere else to go. You're the path of least resistance. You're probably gonna die. Second is that trucks tend to have tire blowouts. If you've never seen the power of a truck tire blowout, take a minute to look up such videos on Youtube. It may scare the shit out of you from the comfort of your chair right now. And if it scares the shit out of you while you're behind the wheel, you will lose control of your own car and drive under the rig or off the road. It's exactly like hearing a bomb go off, and sometimes the tire exits the truck with such force that it will knock a car off the road. Your reaction skills likely will not save you. Many times, the truck can lose control and crash. It always swerves right before the worst, and if you're in that kill zone, you're going out with it. So either pass the truck very fast, or lay back with enough room to avoid the truck if it has a blowout, then pass it quickly once the car in front of you moves.

http://lifehacker.com/why-you-should-never-drive-alongside-a-large-truck-1475713889

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by ramdris(m): 11:30am On Jun 27, 2016
So anytime I see truck,make I pack or wetin u b dey try talk sef. If thats the case nobody go dey move for Lagos cos truck plenty pass car sef.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Rhaspody(m): 11:30am On Jun 27, 2016
Tell Nigerian drivers especially keke drivers that want to overtake anything they see on the road.

10 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by thesicilian: 11:47am On Jun 27, 2016
ramdris:
So anytime I see truck,make I pack or wetin u b dey try talk sef. If thats the case nobody go dey move for Lagos cos truck plenty pass car sef.
I tire o.
If you drive behind a truck, it can roll back and crush you especially if the road is a slope ...
If you drive in front of a truck, its breaks can fail and it will crush you...
Now one cannot drive beside the truck...

Since we cannot drive on top or under the truck, I guess the new rule now is to park the car by the roadside any time we see a truck ahead?

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by lonelydora: 12:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
Good one.
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by d33types: 3:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
thesicilian:

I tire o.
If you drive behind a truck, it can roll back and crush you especially if the road is a slope ...

Since we cannot drive on top or under the truck, I guess the new rule now is to park the car by the roadside any time we see a truck ahead?

these huge trucks have lots of blind spots hence they will hardly see around them, hence we don't treat them like normal vehicles.
if behind them, overtake asap,
in front of them, speed off asap.

If beside them,be more careful cos in Nigeria, they change lane like devils. Either move fast or slow down but they shouldn't be directly beside you.

.Most of these trucks use the fast lane even when on cruising speed,thus tempting you to overtake from the wrong side

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by thesicilian: 4:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
d33types:

these huge trucks have lots of blind spots hence they will hardly see around them, hence we don't treat them like normal car vehicles.
if behind them, overtake asap,
in front of them, speed off asap.

If beside them,be more careful cos in Nigeria, they change lane like devils. Either move fast or slow down but they shouldn't be directly beside you.

.Most of these trucks use the fast lane even when on cruising speed,thus tempting you to overtake from the wrong side
Nice strategy, I must say

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by AutosBay(m): 4:57pm On Jun 27, 2016
lonelydora thanks
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 27, 2016
God above everything... Make God dey bless our going out and coming I

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by brunofarad(m): 6:33am On Jun 29, 2016
Ok
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by veekid(m): 6:33am On Jun 29, 2016
For real?
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Letsgoandfuck(m): 6:34am On Jun 29, 2016
I enjoy driving very close to big trucks. I'm just very carefull.
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Goldenheart(m): 6:34am On Jun 29, 2016
issit me; i hear voices when driving, before i over take a truck.
|
voice: oya accelerate
me: what if a car just appear 4rm no where
voice: u c any car, why u dey mumu like this? do fast
me: na true, i no see any car.

then i ovatake.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by AgreatMan: 6:35am On Jun 29, 2016
I am sure about what the OP is saying but what I know is that the sweetest overtake is the slow overtake.

Here is a better guide as written by me!

1. You want to overtake a truck. Steer slighly to d other side of the lane and get a good view of the condition of the road ahead.

2. If the part if the raod on which the truck is driving is bad. Do not try to overtake, it will swerve into you to dodge the pot-holes.

3. Some drivers like to hunk and flash their light b4 overtaking. But I usually skip that if I am driving a big truck or SUV, or a car with a big voice (really liked one Nissan frontier for dis)

4. If u want to overtake a truck do not get scared by giving it too much "respek" or distance by driving at the edge of the tarmac. If u do this and the truck swerves 3 inches towards u, u have no where to run or u can just swerve into the bush.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by timilehing(m): 6:36am On Jun 29, 2016
Do I need to be told undecided
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by EddyNumerouno(m): 6:38am On Jun 29, 2016
[size=15pt]Always horn before overtaking trucks, as this alerts the truck driver[/size].
People usually ignore this

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 29, 2016
That is the more reason why you need to alert the truck driver through your horn or by flashing him.

Nigerian road is not that smooth and free. So, your idea of speeding off might not work most of the time.

Just make sure you alert the truck driver of your presence...that's all

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by omowolewa: 6:38am On Jun 29, 2016
Okay
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by oriflamebaby1(f): 6:43am On Jun 29, 2016
Has the op ever travelled to ogbomosho? The road are filled with 95% truck driving recklessly. I hate that road with passion! Nigerian government are irresponsible when it comes to road maintainance

13 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by nextstep(m): 6:48am On Jun 29, 2016
thesicilian:

I tire o.

I stay enough far behind trucks unless I'm going to overtake so that I can react to rollback or swerves. Even then, as I'm approaching, I look at the road ahead of them, to see if there are potholes or other obstructions that will make them swerve. Then I honk loudly and pray nothing happens as I go past. I've survived a worn tire thread once (though the tire ate my fender to pieces and scraped off part of my bumper).

For those who like to put head and get close to trucks, I give them extra distance. My best friend, a far better driver than I am, tries to teach me to be more aggressive, but I'm ok going slow and giving distance... I will arrive there 10 minutes later at the worst.

8 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by OCTAVO: 6:57am On Jun 29, 2016
Thanks
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Sharon6(f): 6:59am On Jun 29, 2016
The truck drivers see other road users the way a hen sees a cockcroach. One needs to be extremely careful with them always. KI OLORUN MA SOWA.

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT. CHECK MY SIGNATURE!!!
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by sekundosekundo: 6:59am On Jun 29, 2016
I wonder why so many people make nonsense of every useful advice/information given to them.
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Sharon6(f): 6:59am On Jun 29, 2016
Assassination
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by SmithHumble50: 6:59am On Jun 29, 2016
Informative....

For dis Ogbodo 9ja wey we dey.. U gas get conscious of a truck oo.. As containers dey fall on top people head!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 29, 2016
thesicilian:

I tire o.

shocked

I think we should start driving on the trucks
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by donbenedict(m): 7:02am On Jun 29, 2016
Gentle2015:
That is the more reason why you need to alert the truck driver through your horn or by flashing him.

Nigerian road is not that smooth and free. So, your idea of speeding off might not work most of the time.

Just make sure you alert the truck driver of your presence...that's all
with which network abeg? Mtn or vmobile? grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 29, 2016
Yes OH OP, especially if the Truck is carrying Buratai's Snakes.
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by donbenedict(m): 7:04am On Jun 29, 2016
Hmm, if ordinary car dey fear truck, wetin the truck go come dey fear?
Re: Why You Should Never Drive Alongside A Large Truck (Photo) by bigt2(m): 7:06am On Jun 29, 2016
oriflamebaby1:
Has the op ever travelled to ogbomosho? The road are filled with 95% truck driving recklessly. I hate that road with passion! Nigerian government are irresponsible when it comes to road maintainance
Spot on.! This is the same Ogbomosho I ply every week. Phew! I always fear but God is on my side.
I always confess my sins whenever I'm going to ogbomosho. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Car Parts Potholes Can Damage / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates / 4 Major Signs That Your Car Needs A Tune Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.