Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (163960 Views)

Bishop (dr) Chris Kwakpovwe Of Our Daily Manna Sets Lagos Ablaze With Miracles / Daily Manna Feeding On His Word Daily 2014 / The Rapture Of Abiding Saints In Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26am On Oct 07, 2009
Daily Manna

Daily Manna is an extraction of God's Word, and mainly serves to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis, through an insightful exposition and compelling analysis of God's Word.

Transparent Righteousness

TEXT: Job 31:1-12

"If I have walked with vanity, or if my foot hath hasted to deceit" -- Job 31:5
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:56am On Oct 13, 2009
Daily Manna

The Vanity of Wealth

TEXT: LUKE 16:19-21

There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day (Luke 16:19).
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:57pm On Oct 14, 2009
Daily Manna

Increase My Faith

TEXT: LUKE 17:1-10

KEY VERSE

"And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you" -- Luke 17:5,6

Increased faith leads to increased service and forgiving spirit.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
Daily Manna

A Thankful Heart

TEXT: LUKE 17:11-19

And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?” (Luke 17:17).

The stigma of leprosy in Bible days was so strong that the victims were isolated from all forms of social associations and interpersonal relationships to avoid any possible contact, because it was a deadly contagious disease. Those who received the divine intervention of being cleansed owed it as a duty to give thanks to God. Giving thanks to God for his kindness, mercy and goodness is a function of individual heart’s condition and capacity to reflect correctly.

Our text today is an eye opener to the danger of forgetting to offer praises to God after miracles of healing, deliverance, salvation and breakthrough in life. Ten lepers cried to Jesus for healing and cleansing. In answer to their plea, Jesus sent them to the priest for a confirmation of a gracious healing received. Their miracle was based on the simple principle of asking and receiving; unfortunately, only one of them; a stranger came back to give thanks. The rest nine went their ways. Jesus then asked with concern, where are the nine”?

It is common in modern days to receive great miracles of healing, deliverance, provision and escape from danger with an ungrateful disposition. Those who do not sit back to count their blessings will not see sufficient reasons to thank God.

Of course, refusal to thank God for all the benefits received does not diminish His divine attributes of showing mercy and compassion on His creatures; yet giving thanks to God opens more doors of greater miracles and benefits from Him.  He that offers praises glorifies God.  Grateful Christians grow in grace and understanding.  How often do you remember to say “thank you Lord”? Those who have received God’s love, mercy and salvation with other physical and spiritual blessings must endeavour to come back to Him with grateful hearts of praises.

Praises glorify God.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:27am On Oct 16, 2009
Daily Manna

Be Prepared

TEXT: LUKE 17:20-37

And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man (Luke 17:26).

There was a father who was often away from home for weeks and months for business. One day, as he was leaving, his little boy asked him, “when are you coming back, Daddy?” He replied, “when you see the green leaves on the trees turning yellow and red and brown, you may know that I am coming soon!” The little boy couldn’t understand dates, but he could see the changes in colour of the leaves. When he saw the leaves put on their dresses of yellow, red and brown, he was very happy, for he knew his daddy’s return was near!.

The sign-seeking Pharisees were asking the Lord about when the Kingdom of God should come. In their ignorance, they knew little or nothing about the various stages of the Kingdom that is, the present spiritual aspect of the kingdom in which Christ reigns in the heart of every born again Christian; the future kingdom at the time of His millennial reign when the Lord shall reign physically on earth for a period of one thousand years of uninterrupted joy, peace and prosperity and the eternal kingdom of Christ when the kingdoms of this world become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; when He shall reign for ever and ever (Revelation 11:15b).

The Lord told these religious leaders what the condition of the world shall be at the time of His coming. Wickedness, worldliness and wantonness shall be prevalent just as it was in the days of Noah and in the days of Lot. The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life brought destruction upon the people through the flood and fire in the days of old. Lot’s wife was lost through lust. The angels of mercy held her by the hand and brought her out of Sodom but she looked back, contrary to the divine instruction and she became a pillar of salt. In spite of all the special privileges she enjoyed, she was lost.

The coming of the Lord is imminent. Everything happening in the world today points to the fact that the time is short. The necessity of salvation from sin and holiness of life cannot be over emphasized.

“Remember Lot’s wife”.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:32am On Oct 28, 2009
Daily Manna

The Spring of Hope

TEXT: Psalm 119:81-88

KEY VERSE

"They had almost consumed me upon earth; but I forsook not thy precepts. Quicken me after thy lovingkindness; so shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth" -- Psalm 119:87

The word of God is the bulwark of the believer’s faith.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:49pm On Dec 03, 2009
Daily Manna

Stoop to Conquer

TEXT: PROVERBS 25:1-15

"Put not forth thyself in the presence of the king, and stand not in the place of great men: For better it is that it be said unto thee, Come up hither; than that thou shouldest be put lower in the presence of the prince whom thine eyes have seen" (Proverbs 25:6,7).

Click on the hyperlink above for the commentary on this passage.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:00pm On Dec 04, 2009
Daily Manna

God's Way

TEXT: PROVERBS 25:16-28

"If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink" (Proverbs 25:21).

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord" (Isaiah 55: cool.  A songwriter puts it this way:  If you’re in the Saviour’s hands, you must do as He commands, for there is no other gospel way.  It’s the way, God’s way. Never put the message by, never stop to reason why? When the Saviour speaks to you, just obey."

In our present world of strife and constant violence, revenge has become a common norm deeply imbedded in the average natural man.  No one wants to either give up or let go.  Unfortunately, this unscriptural way of life is being gradually injected into Christendom as a normal way of life.  We now have such popular slogans as “back to sender”; “fire for fire”; “prayer of vengeance”; “Holy Ghost fire consume them”, etc. Such coinages, which now thrive amongst believers, negate the Scriptural injunction on love for our enemies.

The popular notion among such believers is that the earlier you crush your enemy out of the way, the better for you.  But come to think of it, who actually decides the fate of the so–called enemies?  Is it our violent approach of “fire for fire” or the providential power of God? Has God not given us enough promises in the Holy writ to ensure our constant, continual victory over every enemy, no matter how determined or powerful? God said: But if thou shalt indeed obey His voice, and do all that I speak: then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries (Exodus 23:22).  With faith in the power of God to subdue our enemies and our daily walk with Him, there is no “stubborn” enemy that can withstand the might power of God.

Whatever the opinion of men, our Saviour has shown us the way by sacrificially loving us when we were yet enemies.  Our concentration therefore should be acts of piety, sympathy and goodness to all men.

Enemies can become our friends through show of love.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:36am On Dec 06, 2009
Daily Manna

Honour The Lord

Text: Leviticus 22:26-33

"Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel: I am the Lord which hallow you, That brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 22:32,33).

One profanity, Charles Spurgeon said, Whenever I hear a man swear, I always pray for him, it is a horrible thing that men should blaspheme and curse and swear. But I believe that there would be less of these evils if all Christians prayed whenever they heard an oath, for the devil would see that it would not pay for him. For fool though he is, he has some sense left.”

In our passage today, we see God demanding from Israel and all His children, decorum in worship, ensuring that, that which is offered to the Lord is pure and holy, and offered with a transformed heart and attitude.  The cow or ewe and the young should not be offered the same day, the name of the LORD is to be held in honour among His own sons and daughters and His commandments obeyed as our Saviour, Redeemer and Maker.

Profanity of God’s holy name comes in different ways today.  Using God’s name to affirm what is said in disrespect to the Maker of heaven and earth.  This must be confessed and repented of.  The Scripture says our words should be yea, yea or nay, nay.

We have to be very careful the way we relate with others so that we do not become a stumbling block.  Romans 2:24 says, The name of the LORD is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written".  A life of hypocrisy and sin leads to blasphemy, dishonour and reproach of the Lord who died and paid the full price to rescue us from sin and Satan.  A life of purity and holiness honours God.  When David went into sin with Urriah’s wife, the Lord said wherefore has thou despised the commandment of the Lord to do this evil, ?” (2 Samuel 12:9).  Because by this deed, thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme (2 Samuel 12:14a).  Keep your heart and life pure.

Your soul is like a mirror to reflect the glory of God, Sin, like dust, covers that mirror.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:39pm On Dec 08, 2009
Daily Manna

Keeping the Feast

TEXT: LEVITICUS 23:9-22

And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete (Leviticus 23:15).

God in His infinite wisdom instituted holy feasts and convocations for the children of Israel. Each of these feasts were instituted for a purpose and He expected strict compliance if they would enjoy His blessings.

Our text today deals with some of the feasts instituted by the Lord especially the Feast of Pentecost which is also known as the Feast of weeks. It is called the Feast of weeks because it was observed fifty days or seven weeks and one day after the Passover. It is also called the Feast of harvest. The Feast of Passover also known as the Feast of Unleavened Bread was divinely instituted to commemorate Israel’s deliverance from Egypt and the sparing of their first born sons when all the first born of the Egyptians died. This was made possible by the killing of the Paschal Lamb, pointing to the shedding of the blood of Christ, for the salvation of the whole world. Every sinner who applies the blood of Jesus upon his heart by faith would receive forgiveness of sin, pass from death to life and be made a new creature in Christ Jesus.

Fifty days after the Passover comes the Feast of Pentecost. While the children of Israel ate unleavened Bread during the Feast of Passover, they were to eat bread that was leavened at Pentecost because it was an acknowledgement of God’s goodness to them in their ordinary food which was leavened, whereby they offered generously to the Lord, giving glory to God as the Lord of their harvest. This annual feast was instituted in remembrance of the giving of the law upon Mount Sinai the fiftieth day after they came out of Egypt.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:26pm On Dec 10, 2009
Daily Manna

Forget Not

TEXT: LEVITICUS 23:33-44

That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God (Leviticus 23:43).

Forgetfulness is an unfortunate condition of the human memory. Unless we have great events recorded as memoirs, and are constantly reminded of them, memories, even of the most celebrated cases that brought blessings our way soon become faded and in due time obliterated like footprints in the sandy storm of the desert.

God knew that succeeding generations of the children of Israel might soon forget the great mercies and kindness which He showed to their fathers. Therefore, He took steps to perpetuate the remembrance of His kind deeds to Israel in the wilderness by instituting the Feast of Tabernacles, which was one of three important festivals all male in Israel were obliged to commemorate.

The Feast of Tabernacles specifically was instituted to commemorate Israel’s sojourn in the wilderness when they were safely secured in tents in their journey to the Promised Land. For 40 years in the wilderness, Israel had no comfortable homes, they dwelt in tents, but God was with them to protect them. They planted no corn nor had vineyards but God fed them daily with manna and water out of the rock. Now in the Promised Land they would dwell in the comfort of their homes and enjoy harvests of corn and of goodly fruits. Such kindness ought not to be forgotten, and for this purpose the Lord commanded this annual memorial to draw the people’s attention back to God. Today, true Christians owe it a duty to God to constantly remember His kindness in saving us from sin and bringing us into the fellowship of His dear Son.

Life is like a journey through the wilderness. There is no resting place here, but we look forward to seeing our mansion in glory if we believe in Jesus and follow His way which leads to that better country where there is no pain nor sorrow, hunger nor thirst, sickness nor death. Your duty is just to follow and not to forget.

Jesus is the way.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:20am On Dec 11, 2009
Daily Manna

Keep Shining
Friday, December 11, 2009

TEXT: LEVITICUS 24:1-9

"Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually" (Leviticus 24:2).

Whitefield was one of the most zealous preachers of the Gospel the world has ever seen.  Fervent in spirit, instant in season and out of season, he was a burning and shining light that turned thousands to God.  Yet, he says, after preaching for thirty years, "Lord, help me to begin to begin."

The Lord commanded the children of Israel, in our text, to bring in the highest quality of olive oil to cause the lamps in the Tabernacle of the congregation to burn continually.  He instructed Aaron, the High Priest to supervise both the quality and quantity of olive oil provided to ensure the fire does not go out, but burn continually upon the pure candlestick before the Lord.  In the Book of Revelation, Christ explained the mystery of the candlesticks to signify the church of the living God (Revelations 1:20).  This clearly shows that the Lord wants His church to be zealous and fervent.

A painted fire cannot warm, and a painted banquet cannot satisfy hunger, and a formal religion cannot bring peace to the soul.  It is curious and instructive to observe how history repeats itself, and how sameness there is in the human heart in every generation.  Many go to church to listen to sermons as a display of rhetorics, and eloquent preachers are cheered, with clapping of hands, and stamping of feet; it is almost like visiting the theatres and amusement parks of the world.  There is no heat in their religion.

Being members of the established church is not enough, we must have the pure oil and pure fire in our lamps to ever have the hope of eternal life.  Christ was a burning and shinning light; He declared: "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world" (John 9:5).  Believers must not be cold and lethargic; we must have the constant supply of the oil of the Spirit in our lives continually till the Lord comes.

Let the flame burn brighter.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Dec 12, 2009
Daily Manna

Shun Blasphemy
Friday, December 12, 2009

TEXT: LEVITICUS 24:10-23

"And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death" (Leviticus 24:16).

Do not venture near the border of blasphemy.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:11pm On Dec 13, 2009
Daily Manna

Godly or Worldly Wisdom?
Sunday, December 13, 2009

TEXT: JOB 32:1-10

"Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment" (Job 32:9).

Jewish rabbis agreed that there were two wise men in this world: one was an Israelite, by name, Ahitophel; the other was Balaam, a Gentile.  But both were destroyed because there was no God in their wisdom.  Men of great age, learning and talents are not necessarily full of wisdom.  Even up to this day not many wise, not many mighty, not many noble in the world have received the clarion call to salvation.  On the other hand, the church teems with the "unwise and the foolish" of this world.

The friends of Job had come to visit him when they heard the calamities that lately befell him but none of them could comfort him nor rightly give reasons why his calamities befell him.  Although, they all possessed the wise sayings and reasoning of the ancients, they lacked both discernment of the secret plot of the devil against Job, and the way of God, perfectly.

Elihu, though younger in age than the others, was more enlightened about the way of God.  He distinctly spotted the fault of his friends and also showed the error of Job.  This knowledge, he claims was by the inspiration of the Spirit of God (verse cool.

Old age with accompanying life time experiences is not the only source of knowledge and wisdom.  Every person, however, old or learned, that is not taught by the Holy Spirit is exceeding ignorant and destitute of wisdom concerning divine things.

The foundation of all true wisdom is the knowledge of God.  True wisdom is to know the will of God in His word and to do it.  The wisdom that comes from God is founded on grace and divine blessedness for which neither age nor education could qualify anyone.

Give your life to Jesus today and devote quality time to read, study and meditate on His word for the needed wisdom and divine inspiration.

Jesus is the wisdom of God personified.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:32am On Dec 14, 2009
Daily Manna

Define the Truth
Monday, December 14, 2009

TEXT: JOB 32:11-22

"Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles" (Job 32:19).

A little lad sat at the lobby in a king’s palace and watched as some of the king’s attendants were conspiring to kill the king. The conspirators knew he was dumb and therefore, did not mind his presence. Knowing what the men were up to, the handicapped child got so infuriated by their mischievous moves and looks that, at length, he voiced out, "Don’t you know he is the king?!" So intense was his emotion that his vocal cord opened instantaneously.

Similarly, Elihu, after patiently listening to the disputations between Job and his friends concerning divine providence, was painfully uneasy and could not hold back his own opinion. Although he had a superior insight, he shared the view that Job might be suffering for his sin. But he had some adorable attributes. He had respect for elders; therefore, he waited for his elders to speak till they had exhausted their ideas. He was a good listener. He was prudent – he knew the appropriate time to speak. He was impartial and God-fearing.

Elihu was "full of matters" and was constrained to speak. Oh that we, who have the truth that sets free, are so constrained to speak out in these days of error. We have listened to and watched the prevailing ignorance even among religious front-liners, intellectuals, elders of the land and political leaders. We have found that truly, "Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment". But the grace of God has endowed us with the secret of abundant life. We cannot afford to watch on as ignorance drags others to eternal perdition. We who know the terror of God upon sinners must persuade men. The love of Christ should constrain us to open up and speak the saving truth.

In declaring the gospel, we must, like Elihu, be filled with a sense of accountability to God. We should neither flatter men of influence and wealth nor excuse the poor and suffering.

Concerning gospel preaching, sealed lips often signify absence of fire in the heart.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:16am On Dec 15, 2009
Daily Manna

Vain Struggle
Tuesday, December 15, 2009

TEXT: JOB 33:1-13

"Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters" (Job 33:13).

Man has displayed so much ingenuity in his creative ability over the years. From the beautiful works of Arts, to sometimes, astonishing scientific and technological inventions, man has fully explored the creative ability with which he was endowed. These scientific breakthroughs have been designed to serve man, advance his course and make life better and easier for him.

There are a few things to note here. No time has man’s invention risen to challenge or question his claim and authority over it. When his invention fails to function the way it was intended, it often leads to chaos, calamity and catastrophe.

Elihu, in our passage wonders why man struggles against his Maker and question His sovereignty. God is the creator. He made man for His purpose. Though man was not made a robot (a machine without a mind and a will of his own), for him to be able to attain to his best and enjoy all the provisions of God, he has to follow God’s laid down principles.

Unfortunately instead, man has over the years rebelled against God, challenging His sovereignty and questioning His authority. No wonder our world is in disorder! No wonder there is chaos, calamity and catastrophe. No wonder we look for peace and behold we get confusion, insecurity and apprehension, instead.

Man has malfunctioned! Questioning God’s authority, striving against the will of God in our lives, living in disobedience to the word of God is rebellion.

The simple remedy is for man to retrace his step back to God through repentance from sin and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. That is the only time we can know peace.

Sin is a malfunction in man and will only result in disaster.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:16am On Dec 16, 2009
Daily Manna

Be Attentive
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

TEXT: JOB 33:14-33

"For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed (Job 33:14,15).

A  management consultancy and training outfit, in a professional effort to justify the importance of staff training by employers, had this maxim in their manual: “An ignorant person is a dangerous person…but if you don’t train him don’t blame him”.  Does the omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient God ever leave humanity in their ignorance and then turn around to judge them? The answer is NO.

God never leaves man to wallow in his ignorance.  He has various ways by which he reaches out to us with His message and instruction many times.  He warns through His chosen leaders, prophets, pastors and other church leaders today.  He speaks directly to man in dreams and  visions that he may withdraw man from his purpose and hide pride from man" (verse 17).  Yet, if man perceiveth it not, he is chastened also with pain upon his bed and the multitude of his bones with strong pain”.

When all His entreaties fail, God then uses chastisement :so that his life abhorreth bread, and his soul dainty meat… his flesh is consumed away”. Have you allowed yourself to get to this level? Jesus Christ to give His life a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28). He is the acceptable ransom to plead your case before God.

You do not need to wait until pain and anguish come upon you. God again is speaking to you, this time not through dreams and visions but through His word. Please hear Him.

Many people are so dull of hearing that even when God speaks to them through various means they hardly hear. They also lack understanding of the word that they hardly understand whenever they read the word or when it is preached to them. Your eyes and ears of understanding can be opened today if you will come to God in earnest prayer.

Do you hear when God speaks to you?
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:29pm On Dec 17, 2009
Daily Manna

Just Reward
Thursday, December 17, 2009

TEXT: JOB 34:1-17

"For the work of a man shall he render unto him, and cause every man to find according to his ways. Yea, surely God will not do wickedly, neither will the Almighty pervert judgment" (Job 34:11,12).

There can be no better way to explain the faithfulness of God in giving commensurate reward to men in all ages than the way Elihu presented it in the passage we are considering today. Elihu, one of the friends of Job eulogized God as not only being faithful but just. Miscarriage of justice sometimes occurs in the earthly courts but can never happen in the courts of heaven. The Bible affirms that every man that had ever lived in this world will appear before God to give account for deeds done in the body and "every transgression and disobedience will receive a just recompense of reward" (Hebrews 2:2).

In the inspired scriptures, justice and judgment are scarcely to be distinguished from each other. Judgment is the application of equity to moral situations and may be favourable or unfavourable according to whether the one under examination has been equitable or inequitable in heart and conduct. When the destruction of Sodom was announced, Abraham interceded for the righteous within the city, reminding God "that be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked, shall not the judge of all the earth do right" (Genesis 18:25).

Our Lord Jesus was also consistent in affirming the justice of God when He gave a glimpse of the manner the entire world will be judged. "And before him shall be gathered all nations, And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left" (Matthew 25:32,33).

However, it is important to note that Elihu emphasized spiritual truth without comprehending the situation Job found himself. The truth of the word of God must be emphasized but not without proper investigation into the facts of issues we are commenting on. "Prove all things and hold fast to that which is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

You will reap what you sow.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2009
Daily Manna

Don’t Despair
Friday, December 18, 2009

TEXT: JOB 34:18–30

"For he will not lay upon man more than right; that he should enter into judgment with God" (Job 34:23).

Job’s suffering and excruciating pain emanating from the loss of his belongings and afflictions to his flesh were legendary. Equally noteworthy was his attempt to vindicate himself of any wrongdoing. But it was easier for friends and neighbours alike, who heard Job complaining, to either rebuke him or seek to correct him, than to go through same experience.

Elihu appealed directly to Job himself. Could he suppose that God was like those earthly princes, who hate right, who are unfit to rule, and prove the scourges of mankind? It was daring presumption to condemn God’s proceedings, as Job has done by his discontents. Elihu suggested diverse considerations to Job, to produce in him high thoughts of God, and so to persuade him to submit.

Job has often wished to plead his cause before God. Elihu asked: “To what purpose?” All is well that God does, and will be found so. What can make those uneasy whose souls dwell at ease in God? All the smiles of this world cannot quieten those at whom God frowns.

But we are only fortunate to know how Job’s case arose and who exactly was behind his suffering. Applying the lessons to ourselves today, how far can we go suffering before we rail at, abuse or condemn whatever causes our problems? Are we quick to complain rather than to pray? Do we seek God’s face for explanations to the unknown? Or, as counsellors, are we quick to condemn, rather than to console, a believer undergoing suffering? We will do well to develop the right attitude, either to personal anguish or to the others in distress. The good Lord will open our eyes, ears and understanding to give the right interpretations to His dealings with us always.

Trust God in pleasure and in pain.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:00am On Dec 21, 2009
Daily Manna

Catch Them Young
Sunday, December 20, 2009

TEXT: LUKE 18:9-17

And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them (Luke 18:15).
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:45am On Dec 27, 2009
Daily Manna

Good Hope
Sunday, December 27, 2009

TEXT: Psalm 119:113-120

"Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word" (Psalm 119:113).

In his expression of hope, Habakkuk, one of the minor prophets in Israel, said: "Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat; . . . Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will joy in the God of my salvation" (Habakkuk 3:17,18). "While there is life, there is hope," goes an old saying. As long as there is hope of life man will part with anything to save or prolong his life. He will cling to the hope of survival even in spite of all the evidence that he is not going to live. That is how important hope is to the continued existence of man. The natural man’s hope is all in this life, but it is all a fleeting, dismal hope.

There is a hope that is founded on the truth and unfailing word of God. That is the good hope, which is the hope that never disappoints. This is the same hope expressed by King David in our text. It is a hope that keeps you pure and separate from sin. Those who do not have God do not have this hope. The people that have it are genuinely converted, for without this hope the pain of persecution, trials and misunderstanding would have been unbearable.

The Bible is the word of God and a Book of hope. It promises us eternal life through faith in the atoning sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ and depicts the wonderful reward that awaits all those who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Hope is essential to our perseverance, our getting through tough times in life; for without hope, we soon give up. A trust in God is the essential ingredient to build up our hope. This trust grows in us as we learn more of the promises He has given to us in His word. Give your life to Jesus and study daily in His word, fully trusting in Him to perform what He has promised.

Salvation is the route to the harbour of Good Hope.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:51pm On Dec 28, 2009
Daily Manna

Our Supreme Court
Monday, December 28, 2009

TEXT: PSALM 119:121-128

"Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way" (Psalm 119:128).
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:37pm On Dec 29, 2009
Daily Manna

The Word, Your Guide
Tuesday, December 29, 2009

TEXT: PSALM 119:129-136

"Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me" (Psalm 119:133).
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
Daily Manna

Trust in God’s Faithfulness

TEXT: PSALM 119:137–144

"Thy testimonies that thou hast commanded are righteous and very faithful" (Psalm 119:138).

The verses in today’s passage are full of declarations capable of inspiring confidence, courage and hope in those who proclaim trust in the Lord. Like the name of one of Josh McDowell’s books, this passage contains the "Evidence That Demands A Verdict." David was mindful of all these when he emphasised an array of attributes of God.

God never did, and never can do, wrong to any. The promises are faithfully performed by Him that made them. What then should a believer do upon recognition of God’s goodness? To trust Him, of course. And much more, to take up God’s cause and stand up for it anywhere, anytime. David demonstrated this when he declared that "thy word is very pure: therefore, thy servant loveth it" (verse 140).

Zeal against sin should constrain us to do what we can against it. David showed this zeal even when it was clear to him that majority of people around him forgot God’s word. Our love to the word of God is evidence of our love to God, because it is designed to make us partake of His holiness. It is also to make us, like David, commit ourselves to following God even when we are despised by men, or that we are counted as being in the company of the minority.

When we are small and despised, we have more need to remember God’s precepts, that we may have them to support us. The Psalmist still held tenaciously to, and found delight in, God’s commandment despite the troubles around him at some point in time.

Sorrow is often the lot of saints in this vale of tears, being in heaviness through manifold temptations. God’s word is to be relied upon, His promises to be believed as true and His commandments to be obeyed, whatever the circumstances may be. You are missing so much if you don’t trust in Him. You cannot rightly trust in Him if you have not given your life to Him. Trust Him from today if you have been a ‘doubting’ Christian. Repent of your sins today if you are still a sinner. Then, begin forthwith to trust Him as the unfailing Father, Creator and God.

If you believe that God is good, then trust Him.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:49pm On Dec 31, 2009
Daily Manna

On Your Knees
Thursday, December 31, 2009

TEXT: PSALM 119:145-152

"I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O Lord: I will keep thy statutes. I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word" (Psalm 119:145,147).

No matter how excellent a vehicle is performing, it, nevertheless, requires a regular and periodic servicing and maintenance. A prudent vehicle owner never waits for a break down before giving it proper attention. So it is with our relationship with the Lord; it requires regular servicing and maintenance through prayer, study of the word, meditation, thanksgiving and adoration.

Psalm 119, obviously the longest chapter in the Bible, is one of the acrostics which, unlike others contain eight verses for each of the Hebrew letter and has a total of 176 verses. The chapter expresses the delight and substance of God’s revelation and leads the reader to a deep and positive response to His word through praises, thanksgiving, prayer, supplication and wholesome reliance upon the Almighty in time of need. This the true worshipper does as in our text by crying unto Him.

When we are faced with apparently overwhelming odds, we should remember to seek His face who has the solution to all our every day challenges. This we are to do by first of all ensuring that we are walking in His steps and doing His will, knowing that "all thy commandments are truth". Then we seek His face in prayer having the assurance that He will deliver us according to His word.

Whatever burden you are bearing now and you are being pressed sore; take it to the Lord in prayer. Are your enemies threatening you and ‘following after’ you with mischief? Be rest assured that the Lord is near. Meditate on God’s word; believe it and you will overcome by His grace.

Victory is won on our knees: do you pray?
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:00pm On Jan 01, 2010
Daily Manna

Lean on the Great God
Friday, January 1, 2010

TEXT: JOB 36:13-33

"Behold, God is great, and we know him not, neither can the number of his years be searched out" (Job 36:26).

While expressing his heart-felt reverence for God’s majesty and greatness in his prayer, Jeremiah exclaimed: "Ah Lord God! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee, the Great, the Mighty God, the Lord of hosts, is his name, Great in counsel, and mighty in work: for thine eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men, " (Jeremiah 32:17-19).

The greatness of God is incomprehensible. He created all the creatures in heaven and on earth; He is greater than the greatest, higher than the highest, wiser than the wisest, stronger than the strongest and better than the best. He is the self-existent One. He is the Ancient of Days, having no beginning or end of life. He is Immortal, Invisible, Omnipotent, Omniscience and Omnipresent. This Mighty God knows all things, has all power and He is full of grace and compassion. His mercy endures forever.

Elihu, from our text today gave Job great and high thoughts of God so as to persuade him into a cheerful submission to His providence. Although he had accused Job wrongly, he was endeavouring to convince him of being responsible for the calamities that befell him. On this first day of the year, you must rest assured that God knows you perfectly and He loves you with an everlasting love. He knows what you are passing through and has the solutions to all your problems. He is a Being without beginning. He can do whatever He has promised to do, where and when He has promised to do it without any hindrance. He is the unlimited God. He can do all that He has done before if only you believe and walk with Him throughout this year. What you believe, you will receive and what you confess you will possess. He can turn your negative circumstances around; He can give you a new beginning and His best for the rest of your life. Just resolve today to love Him wholeheartedly, follow Him all the way, and serve Him without reservation. Then, it will be a blessed year indeed for you.

Thought of today: God is able to do all things.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On Jan 02, 2010
Daily Manna

Remember Who You Are
Saturday, January 2, 2010

TEXT: PSALM 119:161-168

"Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them" (Psalms 119:165).

A story is told of a famous professional boxer who had a hot temper. On several occasions he had been penalized and sent to the prison for unlawfully using his fist on people at the slightest provocation. He resolved to tame his hot temper, but the method he adopted was as wishful as it was infantile. He used handcuff on his hands whenever he appeared in public. However, he failed to deal with his heart condition which was why he always hit people; he found himself bound in that anti-social behaviour.

In life, confrontation, provocation and temptation will always come. To overcome or not depends on one’s relationship with God.

The Psalmist recounted his ugly experience in the hands of princes who persecuted him without a cause. He revealed that he never retaliated because of the realization that vengeance belongs to God. Rather than join issues with his persecutors, he decided to praise God for his righteous judgment. While he awaited God’s intervention, he continued to obey His commandments.

As believers, we are challenged to constantly hope in God in times of persecution and provocation. You must remember that you are a child of God and that whatever happens to you, your heavenly Father is aware. Moreover, you must remember that even as a child of God, you are not invincible without God. Do not take laws into your hands; report all cases to the impartial Judge who judges in righteousness.

The boxer in our story felt he could bully everybody because of his power, but he forgot who he was and that it was unlawful for him to engage in street fight or to intimidate members of the public.

As a believer, always follow righteous, godly principles. Do not be stampeded into self-help.

Thought for today: Greater is He that is in you.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:08pm On Jan 04, 2010
Daily Manna

Divine Inheritance
Monday, January 4, 2010

TEXT: JOSHUA 21:1-8

"And the children of Israel gave by lot unto the Levites these cities with their suburbs, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses" (Joshua 21:cool.

The most venerable and distinguished members of the three Levitical families, on behalf of their tribe, applied for the special provision that had been promised them.  They built their claim upon a very good foundation; not their own merits or services, but the divine precept.

As Levites were to have no territorial domain allocated to them like other tribes in Israel, they were to be distributed throughout the land in certain cities appropriated to their use; and these cities were to be surrounded by extensive suburbs.  These cities were not only meant to accommodate them, but to place them, as religious teachers, in several parts of the land.  For though the typical service of the tabernacle or temple was only in one place, the preaching of the word of God, prayer and praise, were not thus confined.

Each tribe had the benefit of the Levites dwelling among them, to teach them the knowledge of the Lord; thus, no part of the country was left to sit in darkness.  In the same vein, God has in His infinite wisdom, planted His children in various parts of the world today.  He, therefore, expects us as "light of the world" to, through the gospel, touch and brighten the corners where we are.

The gospel also provides that he who is taught in the word, should communicate to him that teaches, in all good things (Galatians 6:6).  We are to free God’s ministers from distracting cares, and to leave them at leisure for the duties of ministry; so that they may be wholly employed therein.  The maintenance of ministers is a thing to be taken seriously according to the will of God; those who preach the gospel should live by the gospel, and comfortably too.

Unlike the Levites, we have (in addition to earthly benefits), eternal inheritance which fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for us, having begotten us unto a lively hope through the eternal sacrifice of Christ, our Saviour.  What a privilege!

Thought for today: A crowning day awaits us in heaven.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:17pm On Jan 05, 2010
Daily Manna

Your Service Shall be Rewarded
January 5, 2009

TEXT: JOSHUA 21:9-19

"All the cities of the children of Aaron, the priests, were thirteen cities with their suburbs" (Joshua 21:19).

In the world of enterprise – public or private - skilled manpower is sourced, engaged and deployed in the course of production to perform responsibilities and duties, and in turn, are compensated with benefits and remunerations in consideration of their efforts and contributions to the organization.

In the passage for devotion today, God, in His infinite wisdom allocated thirteen cities to the Levites from the land shared out to the other tribes. The Levites were dispersed throughout the whole land among the other tribes. Each tribe of Israel was adorned and enriched with its share of levitical cities in proportion to its compass so that the children of Israel could receive advice and instruction from the Levites and also to ensure that no idolatrous images or superstitions were introduced at a distance.

In compensation for their responsibilities, however, thirteen cities, which were some of the best, were allocated to them: Hebron was where David started his reign, Manhanaim was where he had his headquarters after he fled from Absalom. Shechem, another levitical city, was where the first Israelite that ever wore the title of king, Abimelech, reigned. We also discover that the population of the Levites was very large (in fact second only to Judah) though it was the least of the tribes. This was an evidence of divine enlargement.

Serving God attracts material and spiritual blessings. God has not called anyone of His servants to serve him in vain. Our attitude to God’s service, however, is not to serve with expectation of reward, but to derive self-fulfillment and joy even in serving the Lord who loved us as to change our destiny from perdition to paradise through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thought for today: Recognize serving God as a great privilege.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:13am On Jan 06, 2010
Daily Manna

Reward for Faithful Service
Wednesday, January 6, 2009

TEXT: JOSHUA 21:20-33

"And the families of the children of Kohath, the Levites which remained of the children of Kohath, even they had the cities of their lot out of the tribe of Ephraim. All the cities were ten with their suburbs for the families of the children of Kohath that remained" (Joshua 21:20,26).

"It is not the possession of extraordinary gifts that makes extraordinary usefulness, but the dedication of what we have to the service of God", Robertson observed.

The Kohathites occupy a central position in the worship and service of God.  "And their charge shall be the ark, and the table, and the candlestick, and the altars, and the vessels of the sanctuary wherewith they minister, and the hanging, and all the service thereof" (Numbers 3:31).  Of the tribe of the Kohathite came Aaron and his children the High Priest while the rest dealt directly with the service of the sanctuary.

In our passage today we learn that the Kohathites had levitical cities (of refuge) numbering twenty-three out of forty eight cities giving them about half as much as their other two brethren.

Faithful service is recognized, regarded and rewarded by the Lord.  God is looking for faithful servants today who will receive and share the love, mercy, and compassion of God with the lost world.  He is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to the saving knowledge of Christ.

The Kohathites were faithful in their service and were abundantly rewarded.  You can rest assured today that if you also serve God faithfully and fruitfully, He will make all things work together for your good.

Thought for today: Service is the rent we pay for the space we occupy.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:25pm On Jan 07, 2010
Daily Manna

The Unfailing God
Thursday, January 7, 2009

TEXT: JOSHUA 21:34-45

"There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass" (Joshua 21:45).

Balaam is perhaps the most enigmatic character in the Bible. He was an embodiment of irony. Imagine a man who expressed the most desirable wish ever uttered by mortal man – to die the death of the righteous - yet, he worked against this noble wish by stooping to outright avarice and died a miserable death. Here is yet another eternal truth from him: "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?" (Numbers 23:19).

The truth of this assertion about God’s faithfulness was very clear in His dealings with Israel. Long before this account was given, God had promised to settle Israel in Canaan. Despite so many daunting factors – oppositions from hostile countries, the task of dislodging the Canaanites, Israel’s intermittent show of unfaithfulness and a host of natural challenges - Israel eventually settled in the Promised Land.

The foregoing verses and chapters detailed the order of their settlement – tribe by tribe. This long list fittingly ended with the allocations given to the Levites. As ministers of God, the Levites were given a liberal and worthy portion – forty-eight cities even though they were the least of the tribes. Enough room was made for them since they must focus on their temple roles instead of fighting, like other tribes to conquer more lands for expansion. Notice also that at this point God gave Israel rest and dominion.

Truly, God is not a man that He should lie. Of whom is He afraid? He fulfills every promise He makes for there is no limitations with Him. He is not given to fickleness or subject to circumstances. Do you have His promise on any aspect of your life? Stand on it; the unfailing God will not let you down. If it tarries, wait for it; it will surely come to pass.

Thought for to day: No abandoned project with God.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:01pm On Jan 09, 2010
Daily Manna

Contend for the Truth
Thursday, January 9, 2009

TEXT: JOSHUA 22:11-34

"And the children of Israel heard say, Behold, the children of Reuben and the children of Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh have built an altar over against the land of Canaan, in the borders of Jordan, at the passage of the children of Israel. And when the children of Israel heard of it, the whole congregation of the children of Israel gathered themselves together at Shiloh, to go up to war against them" (Joshua 22:11,12).

The children of Israel were ready to go to war against the tribe of Reuben, Gad and half tribe of Manasseh because they believed they had built an altar against the will of God.  Joshua and the Israelites felt that God’s holiness and truth were being abandoned.  They first sent delegation to attempt to resolve the problem.  Understanding and reconciliation were achieved without war.  From this they draw a very favourable conclusion that God was among them and He would protect them and deliver them from the hand of their enemies.

Good men, enlightened by the Spirit of God will not make war with others for maintaining their right.  Division in the church is a dangerous thing and should be carefully avoided by all who fear God.  Maintaining the unity of the faith must be based on active love which seeks to resolve problems and reconcile differences by mutual loyalty and obedience to Christ and His word.  This means that holding the truth and proclaiming it in love have priority over loyalty to Christian institutions and individuals.  Any endeavour to maintain fellowship or unity must never invalidate the word of God or be based on compromise of biblical truth.

Believers must stand for God’s truth and holiness without prejudice, while at the same time acting in love towards those they must oppose.  Nevertheless, the clarion call for believers today is to "contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints."

Thought for today: Peace is possible, but not at the expense of the truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (52) (Reply)

MY Experience With The Supernatural, Ghost And Spirits Do Exist. / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Building Collapses (Picture) / Famous People Who Mocked God & What Happened To Them! A Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.