Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,887 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:44 AM

Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (163624 Views)

Bishop (dr) Chris Kwakpovwe Of Our Daily Manna Sets Lagos Ablaze With Miracles / Daily Manna Feeding On His Word Daily 2014 / The Rapture Of Abiding Saints In Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Pride goes before a fall"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:50am On Aug 13, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday 13, August 2014

A Daily Devotional Guide - Daily Manna sets out to provide spiritual nourishment for those who are truly committed to seeking God and walking closely with Him. It's an extraction of God's word, and mainly serves to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis.

Steadfast, Even In Pain

TEXT: JOB 27:1-10

"My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live" (Job 27:6)

The great missionary statesman, Adoniram Judson, admonished: “The motto of every missionary, whether preacher, printer, or schoolmaster, ought to be ‘Steadfast for Life’.”

That, exactly, was Job’s conviction. He had suffered terrible troubles, which he supposed God was the cause. Job was a genuine child of God and he promised to speak the truth. In spite of his predicament, Job still trusted God. His friends, however, insisted that he was suffering because of his evil deeds, which Job argued to the contrary. He did examine himself and was sure, beyond doubts, that he did no wrong to warrant his friends’ castigation and misfortune.

Remarkably, he resolved not to yield to the temptation to voice out wicked or deceitful words, which could prove his accusers right. He also resolved to guard his integrity jealously, clinging tightly to his righteousness and permitting no reproach in his life. Whatever his detractors might say, he was ready to shun all forms of hypocrisy. He was certain that, if he compromised his integrity, God would not hear his prayers, as a prayer of a sinner is an abomination unto Him. God would not provide for, nor preserve the wicked, but He would rather visit him with weeping and death.

Job had a clear conviction of where he belonged and where he was going - heaven. Some Christians today, instead of holding on to their integrity, would rather compromise their faith. They forget that they have been cleansed and saved from their sins. Therefore, they should not trifle with the righteous life, which God has given them. Whatever your situation in life, if God has made you righteous, treasure it more than anything else. Wealth, fame and commendation of men will all die with men on this earth, but it is only righteousness of life that will transport a person from earth to heaven. Be wise, therefore, and remain steadfast in the faith.

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: "Behind Calvary’s cross is the throne of heaven"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:21pm On Aug 13, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Behind Calvary’s cross is the throne of heaven"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:42am On Aug 14, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday 14, August 2014

A Daily Devotional Guide - Daily Manna sets out to provide spiritual nourishment for those who are truly committed to seeking God and walking closely with Him. It's an extraction of God's word, and mainly serves to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis.

Giving Up Everything

TEXT: LUKE 14:25-35

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:26)

One day, Dr. J. Wilbur Chapman asked General William Booth to reveal the secret of his success. Booth, after some hesitation, had tears dropping from his eyes and said: “I will tell you the secret. God has had all there was of me. There have been men with greater brains than I have, men with greater opportunities, but from the day that I got the poor of London on my heart and caught a vision of what Jesus could do with them, on that day I made up my mind that God should have all of William Booth there was.” Booth’s total surrender moved Chapman to conviction and he remarked: “I learned from William Booth that the greatness of a man’s power is the measure of his surrender.”

Answering the call to follow Christ always requires a change, but the change may not be in physical location, profession, or status. The change is in our heart, as we take our cross to follow Him. It is a change where we learn the secret of living in righteousness and serving God with eternity in view.

Peter, James and John were partners in a small fishing business on the sea of Galilee. This was their source of support for themselves as well as their families. Yet, when they heard the call to become “fishers of men,” they eagerly responded and followed. Matthew was a tax collector, but he walked away from his life of security when Jesus called. He left everything and followed. Abraham in the Old Testament moved his entire household to follow God without even knowing where he was being sent (Genesis 12:1-5). Moses, at eighty years of age, left the tending of flocks to follow God’s call to lead His people out of bondage to Pharaoh. Elisha slaughtered his yoke of oxen and burnt the plowing equipment as he set out to follow Elijah.

Following Christ is a divine call to lose mundane things to gain eternity of blissful and enduring happiness. As we draw closer to our heavenly Father, we will find His call to be irresistible.

Thought for the day: "The greatness of a man’s power is the measure of his absolute surrender"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:22pm On Aug 15, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday, August 15, 2014

Reaching God's Heart

TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 20:1-19

"O our God, wilt thou not judge them? for we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee" (2 Chronicles 20:12)

Jeff Strite, in his sermon entitled, “The Power of Persistent Prayer,” told a story of George Mueller and his prayer life. One day, while on his way to preach in Quebec, George informed the captain of the ship that he needed to be there by Saturday afternoon, but the captain told him it was quite impossible, asking: “Do you know how dense this fog is?” Mueller replied: “No, my eye is not on the density of the fog, but on the living God who controls every circumstance of life. I have never broken an engagement in 57 years; let us go down into the chart room and pray.” Mueller knelt down and prayed one of the most simple prayers. When he had finished, the captain requested that he should allow him to pray too. Mueller put his hand on his shoulder and told him not to pray, saying: “As you do not believe He will answer, there is no need for you to pray about it. Get up, captain, and open the door and you will find that the fog has gone.” When they opened the door, the fog had indeed gone and Mueller was able to keep his engagement.

Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, equally knew the power of persistent prayer. When he was under the threat of being swallowed up by the armies of Moab, Ammon and Mount Seir, who conspired together to fight him and destroy the land of Judah, Jehoshaphat trusted in the Lord and also encouraged all his subjects to believe in the unfailing arm of the Lord. Surprisingly, this fierce battle was fought in an atmosphere of prayers and worship of the majesty of God of all possibilities. The result was victory for Judah and all her inhabitants, because God fought on their side.

If God be for us who can be against us? Jesus is still committed to our lot and still in complete control of our lives. In His perfect timing, He will calm all opposing forces and powers that are working against us. When doubts begin to surface, we must draw closer, hold on even tighter and trust Him ever more.

Thought for the day: "A man who prays touches God’s heart for ultimate blessings"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Thought for the day:

"A man who prays touches God’s heart for ultimate blessings"

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:31am On Aug 16, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday 16, August 2014

God's Heart-Felt Joy

TEXT: LUKE 15:1-10

"I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance" (Luke 15:7)

There was this story of a man, who had no legs, but found joy to glorify God. The narrator said: “While walking along a busy street one day, I heard someone singing. His sweet voice was distinguishable even above the noise of the traffic. When I located him, I noticed that he had no legs and was pushing himself through the crowd in a wheelchair. Catching up with him, I said, ‘I want you to know, friend, that to hear wondrous songs from a person in your condition gives everyone else a lift.’ He answered with a grateful smile, ‘When I thought about what I had lost and began concentrating on all I had left, I found much for which I could rejoice.’

This is exactly the joy in heaven for a sinner, who has repented of his or her sin. From our text, Jesus Christ promptly responded to the bigoted but ignorant religious leaders, who thought He was doing wrong by coming close to sinners. Rather, He made it clear that what was paramount in the heart of God and in the kingdom of heaven is that sinners repent.

For a single sinner who repents in a corner here on earth, his or her neighbours and friends may not be aware of his decision, but the whole of the kingdom of heaven is rejoicing that this sinner has repented. Those friends, neighbours, relations, spouses, classmates or business associates who later begin to see the manifestation of repentance in the former sinner may disdain him for his new decision. They may persecute or rail at the new convert, but heaven is already rejoicing over him.

Religion without conversion is therefore worthless and empty. It is an exercise in futility. Heaven is sad that majority of people are on the path of perdition. Do you want to gladden the heart of God? Do you want heaven to rejoice over you? Repent therefore and be converted. Do not care about what people do or say to you.

Thought for the day: "Seek to cultivate things that will bring joy to God"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On Aug 17, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday 17, August 2014

No Unholy Alliance

TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 19:1-11

"And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD" (2 Chronicles 19:2)

George Washington, former President of the United States of America, said: “It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favour.”

Unfortunately, Ahab, king of Israel, never recognised God. Yet, Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, went out of God’s will to support Ahab in battle. If it were not for God’s mercy, he would have died like Ahab. However, when he returned from the battle, Prophet Jehu, son of Hanani, confronted him for taking such an unwise decision to partner with Ahab. The prophet made him to understand that God was angry with him. Without doubt, it was a serious error of commission for him to have made an unrighteous agreement with Ahab.

Unfortunately today, many Christians make that same mistake, with one form of agreement or the other with the enemies of God. Inasmuch as Christians should offer bridge-building fellowships to other people, they should be conscious of where to draw the line. Jehoshaphat must have had the idea of the kindred spirit in mind when he decided to join alliance with the backslidden, apostate and idolatrous Ahab in battle against the Syrians, but God sent His prophet to rebuke him for this unholy association.

Jehoshaphat’s reaction to the rebuke of the Lord was commendable. Not only did he repent, he also went ahead to bring the people back to the Lord. He destroyed all the idolatrous practices in the land and tried his best to obey God. He equally went to every part of his kingdom, persuading people to turn back to the Lord. God expects that if we have sinned, we should repent and do all necessary restitutions. If we have, by our conducts and examples, wrongly influenced others, we need to prayerfully seek to turn them back to the Lord. This is what the Lord expects from us.

Thought for the day: "Relationship devoid of righteousness results in ruin"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:31pm On Aug 17, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Greater encounter with the God of wonders

http://testvps.dclm.org/content/greater-encounter-god-wonders
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:46am On Aug 18, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday 18, August 2014

God Can Heal You

TEXT: LUKE 13:11-22

"And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God" (Luke 13:12,13)

Dr. Will Mayo, one of the founders of Mayo Clinic Minnesota, United States of America told a story of some patients who were miraculously healed. He said: “We knew they could not live. But I have seen a minister come to the bedside and do something for them that I could not do, although I had done everything in my professional power, but something touched some immortal spark in them and in defiance of medical knowledge and materialistic common sense, that patient lived.”

That was the healing power of God. Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour, who came to give life in abundance, manifested His healing virtue upon the woman with the spirit of infirmity. When He encountered her, He loosed her from an eighteen-year infirmity. Not even the hypocritical upbraiding of the ruler of the synagogue, who took offence that the woman was healed on the Sabbath day, could dampen Christ’s compassion for her. If men could feed their animals on the Sabbath day, why would this long-suffering woman not be healed on the same day?

Much to the joy of the crowd, Christ illustrated the benefits inherent in the kingdom of God with the grain of mustard seed, which could grow into a great tree, with branches spread far and wide, and providing succour for needy birds. Similarly, He spoke about leaven, which, when used for baking bread, could permeate a bowl of flour and turn it into a big meal. Such is the influence of the grace of God in the lives of men.

Jesus cares for you. He is interested in your spiritual, physical and material well-being. He saves from sin, heals all sicknesses and diseases and delivers from all infirmities. Whatever affliction you may be suffering today, whatever infirmity, sickness or disease you may have been coping with all these years, Jesus is able to take it away. Pray to Him and you will not be disappointed.

Thought for the day: "God heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:30pm On Aug 19, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday 19, August 2014

Victory through Praise

TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 20:20-30

"And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten" (2 Chronicles 20:22)

The British military leader who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, who later became the Duke of Wellington, was described as an uneasy man to serve under. Though brilliant, Wellesley was said to be demanding and would never shower compliments on his subordinates. In his old age, a young lady asked him what, if anything, he would do differently if he had his life to live over again. Wellesley, after a moment of serious thought, replied: “I would give more praise.”

Our text today reveals the dramatic and miraculous victory, which came to Judah when they abandoned the conventional methods of warfare and depended upon the leading of the Spirit of God. Jehoshaphat knew that Judah could miss the best of God, like many others had done, if they did not acknowledge the power of and great possibilities through praise.

Instead of complaining and grumbling or expressing fear at the intimidating forces of the enemies that came out to fight against them, they consulted the prophets of God to seek for how to fight the battle. Expectedly, some of them would have been shocked by the Spirit-led method that God gave them. “And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever” (2 Chronicles 20:21). That was how they got their victory over their enemies.

Today, many Christians, instead of adopting Jehoshaphat’s method of praising God in all situations, are quick to complain, murmur, get depressed or discouraged because of some temporary challenges of life. They would, sometimes, blame others or even God for some of the mishaps they experience. How we need to earnestly realize that victory over the battles of life are easily won when we repose much confidence in God!

Thought for the day: "Praises bring the unexpected from God"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday 20, August 2014

Absolute Dependence on God

TEXT: PSALM 119:9-16

"With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments" (Psalm 119:10)

In one textile mill, there was a notice for all workers, which boldly stated: “When your thread becomes tangled, call the foreman.” Then, one day, a young woman, who was new on the job, had her thread tangled, but she thought: “I will just straighten this out myself.” But the more she tried, the more the situation became worse. Finally, she called the foreman and said: “I did the best I could.” The foreman replied: “No you did not. To do the best, you should have called me.”

The young lady relied on self-help, but the psalmist, from our text, knew it would not be enough. So, he resorted to proclamation and supplication for divine support in his bid to obey God’s word. He knew the importance of God’s word. He realised that the heart of man could lead him astray. He was mindful that the law of the land might conflict with the law of God sometimes. He was equally aware of the supremacy of God’s law over the law of the land. Therefore, he prepared himself to obey the supreme law of God. But he knew he needed divine support to do this.

What a challenge to us today! To doubt our own wisdom and strength and to depend on God prove the very purpose of humility and faith in God. God says that you shall be holy for He is holy. God’s word is a treasure worth laying up, not somewhere on the book shelf while we keep to our evil ways, but in our hearts wherever we go.

Let this be our plea with Him: to teach us His statutes, assist us to have the discipline of the mind to meditate upon them and give us the inner strength to apply them in our daily lives. We should not only think of God’s statutes, but we should also do them with delight. However, it is important that we depend upon our Lord Jesus Christ without Whom we can do nothing.

Thought for the day: "A stress-free life is the out-crop of a life totally dependent upon God"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The Great Exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0pURdmWYQ

The Wonder Of Taking Back Your Inheiritance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOlliF__PA

Published on Aug 17, 2014
Greater Encounter With The God Of Wonders Service preached by Pastor W.F. Kumuyi in Enugu State, Nigeria.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Thought for the day:

"A stress-free life is the out-crop of a life totally dependent upon God"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17am On Aug 21, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday 21, August 2014

Perils of Unequal Yoke

TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 21:1-11

"And he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, like as did the house of Ahab: for he had the daughter of Ahab to wife: and he wrought that which was evil in the eyes of the LORD" (2 Chronicles 21:6)

A young lady, who was at an advanced stage of pregnancy, recently told a pathetic story of her life. She boarded an aircraft from a West African country to the United States of America, where she met a Christian, who engaged her in a discussion about Christ. She narrated the mistakes she made in her sinful relationships and the consequences of her acts of indiscretion. According to her, when she got a job, a man came and expressed affection towards her. Unfortunately, she got carried away with infatuation.

She said: “I allowed my emotions and lust to run ahead of my Christian principles, reasoning, and intelligence, and became backslidden by getting involved in immorality with this man who was much older than me. I slacked in my Bible reading, prayers, and church attendance and got far away from my devotion to God.”

The pathetic story above reflects the life of Jehoram, who reigned after his father, Jehoshaphat. Jehoram got married to Athaliah, the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel. Unequal relationship breeds compromise. Jehoshaphat’s compromise in business transaction and his son’s compromise in marriage led to his downfall. Athaliah brought the evil practices of her mother, Jezebel, to influence her husband, causing Judah to forget the true God and turn to Baal worship. Edomites and Libnah, who were subjects unto Judah, now revolted under Jehoram’s leadership.

Jehoram followed the ways of Ahab, his father-in-law. No sooner had he come to power than he murdered all the sons of his father, who were better than him. His reign was characterised by wickedness of the highest order.

Godly parents must be unsparing and down-to-earth when taking vital decisions that will affect the future of their children. To avoid corruption, backsliding and wickedness in high places, character and godly conduct must be placed above charisma and ability.

Thought for the day: "Unequal yoke has severe repercussion; avoid it"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday 22, August 2014

Abusing God's Benevolence

TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 20:31-37

"Then Eliezer the son of Dodavah of Mareshah prophesied against Jehoshaphat, saying, Because thou hast joined thyself with Ahaziah, the LORD hath broken thy works. And the ships were broken, that they were not able to go to Tarshish" (2 Chronicles 20:37)

There was this story about a selfish person who inherited a rice field in India. In the first season, the irrigation water in his field covered his property and overflowed on to his neighbours’ fields, which made all of them to have a great harvest. But in the next season, he felt he was too generous to his neighbour by letting the water escape to their fields. So, he stopped the water with a specially made dam, which made the water not to flow out and became stagnant. It turned the field into an unfruitful marsh and spoiled the crops. The man did not know that all he had was by God’s mercy. His acts of ignorance and mission led to His ruin.

Jehoshaphat had a similar experience. Though he was a good king of Judah, he hobnobbed with Ahab, an enemy of God, which would have cost him his life, were it not for God’s mercy. One would have thought that Jehoshaphat would have learnt his lesson and henceforth avoided an unholy union with the enemies of God.

Unfortunately, he never learned the lesson from his agreement with Ahab. Thus, he went into a damning affinity with Ahaziah. The Lord therefore sent Eliezer to prophesy against him. The Lord destroyed the ships which Jehoshaphat and Ahaziah built. Although we’re not told about the number of people who lost their lives, Jehoshaphat’s error of judgement were at great material costs. His labour and investments ended in great ruin. What a waste of effort and resources and a great lesson for all in position of leadership today!

We, therefore, need discretion and godly wisdom to govern. We need to know where to firmly draw the line and avoid a binding relationship with unbelievers in marriage, business and other areas. If in any way we have erred in the past, God can still forgive if we repent, confess and make our ways right with Him.

Thought for the day: "It is godly wisdom to discern between God’s mercy and severity"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:03pm On Aug 22, 2014
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday 23, August 2014

Total Obedience

TEXT: PSALM 119:1-8

"Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart" (Psalm 119:2)

Chuck Swindoll, an evangelical Christian pastor, told a story of how he and his wife spent an evening with General Charles M. Duke, a former astronaut. Duke, who was among Apollo 16 crew, related to them how obedience to instructions helped Apollo 16 to achieve its mission to the moon. Swindoll curiously asked: “Once you were there, were you not free to make your own decisions and carry out some of your own experiments?” He smiled and said: “Sure Chuck, if we did not want to return to earth, we could make our decision and avoid the instructions.” Duke described the intricate plan, the exact and precise instructions, the essential discipline and the instant obedience, which were needed, to the split second. He equally disclosed that when they landed on the moon, they had only one minute of fuel supply left. Then, Swindoll remarked: “I got the distinct impression that a rebel doesn’t fit inside a space suit.”

The psalmist, in our text, recognized that it was not possible for him to walk through the wilderness of this world, especially with its attendant temptations and allurement, with a heart of rebellion against God’s commandment and still expect His blessings. The secret of receiving God’s favour, according to the psalmist, would be to keep His word and live an undefiled life.

This, of course, brings limitations to all those who want to meander aimlessly. Our actions are constantly under surveillance by an “angelic force” unseen to human eyes. It does not take human efficiency or talent, but obedience, consecration and constant examination to travel on the “highway of holiness.

How do you take the word of God? Do you take it as a framework that will make you have a good relationship with God or do you hold it as a mere literature? Our joy in this world and in eternity depends on how much of the word of God we know and put into practice. So, constantly read the word and meditate upon it.

Thought for the day: "It is comely to be doers of the word and not hearers only"

See more at:

1 Like

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:37pm On Aug 23, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The Wonder Of Taking Back Your Inheiritance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOlliF__PA

Published on Aug 17, 2014
Greater Encounter With The God Of Wonders Service preached by Pastor W.F. Kumuyi in Enugu State, Nigeria.

The Prevailing Power of Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aABNvtIespA
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:14am On Aug 24, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday 24, August 2014

His Fiery Judgment

TEXT: 2 CHRONICLES 21:12-20

"Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods" (2 Chronicles 21:14)

Billy Graham told a story of how he was arrested on a traffic offence and charged to court. According to him, he pleaded guilty and the judge, who was though friendly, was embarrassed that Graham could commit such an offence. As he could not pervert the course of justice, because that would have been inconsistent with impartiality, the judge concluded that Graham must pay the penalty of the offence. While reflecting this from the scriptural perspective, Graham pointed out that inasmuch as God is a God of love, He is equally a God of justice, otherwise everything about Him would not be meaningful.

According to our text, Elijah, the prophet of God, equally revealed a God of justice, as He brought a damning judgement upon Jehoram, the wicked king. The charges against Jehoram were many: he departed from the good ways of God, which he was taught; he conformed to the ways of the house of Ahab; he set up and enforced idolatry in the land; he murdered his brethren because they were better than him; and unlike Ahab, when the threat of judgment came, he slighted the warning.

Bad men bring God’s judgment to people around them. This was what happened to Judah, as Jehoram’s sins brought calamities upon them. His wives, children, substance and the entire land of Judah suffered the consequences of his actions. Jehoram suffered the same fate; he was afflicted with a violent inflammation of the bowels until the bowels fell out.

On this wicked king, God brought His judgment. Jehoram, visibly cursed of God, was hated while he lived and neglected when he died.

The end of a sinful life is dreadful in this world; and a neglect of God’s warning will lead to an even more dreadful eternity in hell.

Thought for the day: "It is dangerous and damning to fall into the hands of the living God"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:39am On Aug 24, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

JESUS ONLY IS OUR MESSAGE (GHS 73)

1. Jesus only is our Message,
Jesus all our theme shall be,
We will lift up Jesus ever,
Jesus only will we see.

Jesus only, Jesus ever,
Jesus all in all we sing;
Saviour, Sanctifier, Healer,
Baptizer and coming King

2. Jesus only is our Saviour,
All our guilt He bore away,
All our righteousness He gives us,
All our strength from day to day.

3. Jesus is our Sanctifier,
Cleansing us from self and sin,
And with all His Spirit’s fullness,
Filling all our hearts within.

4. Jesus only is our Healer,
All our sicknesses He bare,
And His risen life and fullness,
All His members still may share.

5. Jesus only is our Power,
His the gift of Pentecost,
Jesus, breathe Thy Power upon us,
Fill us with the Holy Ghost.

6. And for Jesus we are waiting
Listening for the trumpet’s sound
Then it will be us and Jesus,
Living ever with our God.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2014
Thought for the day:

"It is dangerous and damning to fall into the hands of the living God"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07am On Aug 25, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday 25, August 2014

Divine Illumination

TEXT: PSALM 119:17-24

"Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law" (Psalm 119:18)

Charles H. Spurgeon said: “We would be abler teachers of others, and less liable to be carried about by every wind of doctrine, if we sought to have a more intelligent understanding of the Word of God. As the Holy Spirit, the Author of the Scriptures alone can enlighten us rightly to understand them, we should constantly ask His teaching and His guidance unto all truth.”

“When the prophet Daniel sought to interpret Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, what did he do? He set himself to earnest prayer that God would open up the vision. Therefore, if you desire to be “filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding,” remember that prayer is your best means of study. “Like Daniel, you shall understand the dream and its interpretation when you have sought God. You may force your way through many barriers to understanding with the leverage of prayer. Thoughts and reasoning are like the steel wedges which give a hold on truth, but prayer is the lever which forces open the treasure hidden within.”

The essence of this divine illumination propelled the psalmist in our text today to, among other things, offer a supplication to God for Him to open his eyes to behold wondrous things out of His law. The psalmist knew that God’s mind, which is revealed in the Scriptures, was deeper than the deepest ocean. Therefore, he prayed earnestly to God to show him the light in this strange and dangerous world of darkness.

A natural man, by nature, is blind to the things of God. There are wonderful things which God has hidden in the Scripture from the casual readers of the Bible. Yet, the same Bible passages give eternal life to those whose eyes are opened by God. He is ready to reveal more of Himself to you. But are you ready? Seek His face now in earnest prayer and He will bring divine illumination upon your life.

Thought for the day: "God’s word is the fountain of living waters to the sincere seeker"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
Christ's Intercession And Prayer For You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9jzvLXR684
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:56pm On Aug 25, 2014
MBS: CAUTION AGAINST UNCHARITABLE JUDGMENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCICukAgV7o
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:36am On Aug 26, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday 26, August 2014

Eternal Security?

TEXT: EZEKIEL 18:19-32

"But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die" (Ezekiel 18:24)

One day, an American tourist, on an adventure in Portugal, visited the Monastery, where they had a 3,000-foot cliff, which could only be accessible by a terrifying ride in a swaying basket. The basket would be pulled with a single rope by several strong men. As they did that, they would be sweating profusely under the strain of the fully loaded basket.

As a tourist, the American decided to have a fun of it. He was in the basket, which perched on the cliff. When he was halfway up the cliff, he noticed that the rope was old and frayed. With this, he became nervous and afraid. In apprehension, he asked, “How often do you change the rope?” The monk, who was in charge, replied: “Whenever it breaks!”

This illustration explained, quite clearly, the content of our text today. Many Israelites had erroneous belief that God would punish the parent because of the sins of their children or punish the children because of their parents’ sins. They also had the belief that once anybody got saved, the person would be forever saved, even if the person later backslid. God corrected them, explaining the grave implications of their mistaken notions and beliefs. He warned that He would only hold sinners accountable. This, clearly obliterated the doctrine of eternal security.

God knew that many, who were thought to be righteous, could do so only for a while, warning that such ephemeral dispositions would not take anyone to heaven, but rather a sustained life of righteousness that endures to the point of death. He gave a stern admonition that those who live righteously for a period and then die in evil would be reckoned eternally as evil. None of their earlier righteousness would be mentioned to their credit.

True believers, therefore, should not only watch and pray, they should also continue to sustain their righteousness to the end.

Thought for the day: "Sin pays temporal wages: death"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On Aug 26, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Sin pays temporal wages: death"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:44am On Aug 27, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Godly Precept

TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 17:14-20

"And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them" (Deuteronomy 17:19)

One day, Robert Kupferschmid, an 81-year old man with no flying experience, was flying with a 52 year old pilot friend of his in a Cessna 172. The pilot suddenly slumped over and died. Kupferschmid was dumbfounded as he had never flown a plane before. But when the single-engine plane began to nose-dive, he quickly grabbed the controls and somehow, he got on the radio and pleaded for help.

Two pilots, who heard the call, gave him a steady stream of instructions of climbing, steering and landing at a nearby airport. Emergency vehicles were readily made available. With strict adherence to the instruction, Kupferschmid was able to land the plane without any injury. He was said to have listened and followed those instructions as if his life depended on it – and it did. Kupferschmid landed safely because he adhered to the instruction he was given. People also receive God’s blessings because they are able to obey the instructions and commandments of God.

Our text, today, reveals detailed instruction, which God gave to those who occupied special and strategic position in Israel, especially their king. Among the instructions was that the children of Israel must not set a foreigner over them, neither should king multiply horses or wives. He must not cause the people to go back to Egypt. The king himself must be a man of God’s word, who should have a copy of the law. He must keep it and read it daily and live by it. This would help the king not to feel too big and sin against God since He would not change His standard, no matter the passage of time.

That same instruction we have today. Those, who rule over people, must be just, ruling in the fear of God. Whenever any person has an opportunity to rule, whether in the country, city, office, family or church, he must always remember that he is answerable to God. Those who embezzle government’s money or divert church funds for personal or private use, have violated God’s instructions.

Thought for the day: "Blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:55am On Aug 28, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday 28, August 2014

Heart-Felt Supplication

TEXT: PSALM 119:41-48

"Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word" (Psalm 119:41)

Lancelot Andrewes, who was a bishop in the Church of England, had served as royal chaplain to Queen Elizabeth I and later to Kings James I and Charles I. Noted to be fluent in 15 languages, Andrewes was among those chosen in 1604 as translators for the new English Bible. When the King James Version was published in 1611, he was said to have made significant contribution in the Pentateuch and the historical books. But he knew that he was not sufficient in himself and that God, undoubtedly, was the anchor of his existence. And he prayed: “Lord, be Thou within me, to strengthen me; without me, to keep me; above me, to protect me; beneath me, to uphold me; before me, to direct me; behind me, to keep me from straying; round about me, to defend me. Blessed be Thou, O Lord, our Father, for ever and ever.”

This lends relevance to the psalmist’s outpouring of his supplication to God. Though he was a man after God’s heart, he expressed holy fear because he was conscious of the fact that God could remove His favour from him. So, he felt that he needed God’s mercies, as it appeared that the way of grace had been blocked. Therefore, he pleaded with God to clear the way for mercies to come to him. He equally asked for God’s salvation, which would be according to His word.

It was clear the psalmist had adversaries, but he trusted in God. He pleaded with God not to leave him without deliverance. He believed that the Spirit of holiness is a free Spirit, who could set men at liberty and enable them to resist every effort to bring them under Satan’s subjection. With this liberty, he would be free from every fear and declare God’s word. It would enable him to be fulfilled and stand steadfastly for God.

The psalmist’s approach to spiritual issue is a lesson to all of us. We need to absolutely depend upon God and through fervent prayer, make our request unto Him.

Thought for the day: "God-like character can only be built through a whole-hearted devotion"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday 29, August 2014

Unblemished Sacrifice

TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 17:1-6

"Thou shalt not sacrifice unto the LORD thy God any bullock, or sheep, wherein is blemish, or any evilfavouredness: for that is an abomination unto the LORD thy God" (Deuteronomy 17:1)

There was a story about Robert Hartington of Leeds, a Cambridge graduate, who lived in a single room and cooked his own meals. Yet, he gave foreign ministries 500,000 pounds for a pioneer work of the gospel. He preferred to inconvenience himself, just for the salvation of souls. He later commented: “Gladly would I make the floor my bed, a box my chair and another box my table, rather than that man should perish for want of the knowledge of Christ.”

The consecration of this noble man of God of blessed memory summarises the expectation of God from the children of Israel and, by extension, to us, as regards worship. He expected then and now a wholesome and unalloyed sense of responsibility from His creatures in worshi p. Our worship and sacrifice should come out of grateful hearts.

It is sheer wickedness to forsake God in preference for other gods. Our sacrifice must be borne out of voluntary submission to the will and dictate of God. We should learn to take a moment to consider the frailty and brevity of life, and how our priorities reflect this truth. We must strive for a firmer understanding that anything outside the will of God will, one day, fade away. Any other “god” who receives our worship in the form of excess time, thought, energy, or resources will most surely be burnt and be swept aside. Neglect of God for earthly pursuit attracts heavy punishment. In our passage today, those who went after other gods were sentenced to death by stoning, after the confirmation of two or three witnesses.

When we refuse to accept the living God of the Bible, we become worshippers of various elements in life, such as money, worldly possessions and pleasures. God’s warning is clear and unmistakable about the fate of those who choose idol worship, who refuse to accept the established standard of His word.

Thought for the day: "Nothing less than a living sacrifice is demanded"

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (52) (Reply)

MY Experience With The Supernatural, Ghost And Spirits Do Exist. / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Building Collapses (Picture) / Famous People Who Mocked God & What Happened To Them! A Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.