Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,416 members, 7,800,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. (33822 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by fragilebeing: 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
I can't even think straight anymore...
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.
I feel like it would have been better if I never existed in the first place.

Some of them laughing to my face consistently is bullying the crap out of me.

Please how can I overcome this?

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by gameboy727(m): 3:42pm On Jun 27, 2016
Sorry bro. Just concentrate on your work and don't ever let what they think and say about you get to you. It ain't worth it.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
calm down.

They might be jealous of you or it is possible you still have a lot to learn.

Your presentation skills might suck. You don't have to be proud, settle down and learn. It takes nothing from you.

When they say I am not good enough, it is an opportunity to be better than them because I won't rest until they admit so.

I learnt a very long time ago that LOW LIVES derive joy in talking INTELLIGENT people down just to make you feel less of yourself and make them feel good about things.

208 Likes 25 Shares

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by emerged01(m): 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hold on bro! Give it a little time,what you are passing through now will surely pass away. Just hold on a bit! Such awkward moment comes at a time when you least expected,getting over it what makes you a strong person. Stay calm and know that you can always come out of a bad situation a better man.

11 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by MisterGrace: 4:02pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:
calm down.

They might be jealous of you or it is possible you still have a lot to learn.
You don't have to be proud, settle down and learn.
Oh! pride? did you really say pride?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2016
MisterGrace:

Oh! pride? did you really say pride?

Yes....
It is element of pride that makes us feel we know a lot and once that is proven to be false, it hits us hard.

So when u calm down and try to be better no matter how good you are, it makes you see statements that says you don't know much as a challenge rather than as an insult.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by fragilebeing: 4:38pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

Yes....
It is element of pride that makes us feel we know a lot and once that is proven to be false, it hits us hard.

So when u calm down and try to be better no matter how good you are, it makes you see statements that says you don't know much as a challenge rather than as an insult.

From being rated ok to being under probation...

And then the constant laughing to my face by my colleagues... marveling at my woe...

To criticizing my presentation after saying it was spot on before the main presentation...

Well....... I'm too downtrodden to type.

7 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 4:50pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:

And then the constant laughing to my face by my colleagues... marveling at my woe...

To criticizing my presentation after saying it was spot on before the main presentation...

Like i said.

You need to learn to calm down.

You will face much more challenges in the future.

You might be rated "OK" now and the next second because of the standard you have set be rated "NOT OK"

You have to learn to deal with rejection or 'failure' so to say.

Strive to be your best and be better than you are. Forget this phase and forge ahead.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Swagt101(m): 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
So u wan commit suicide because of dis small yarn Op abeg open door I need restore u to factory settings

33 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
OBEY AND GO
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by BABANGBALI: 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
Ti e ba e
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by cnnamoko(m): 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
Sorry

Check my signature for any thing ICT
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Tjohnnay: 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
embarassed

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by baby124: 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2016
Nigerian bosses can be extremely stu*pid. They don't know how to talk at all. At their position they don't know it all either. Why knock a young person down if you are not a lunatic. Sorry OP, don't define yourself by other people's madness. Your boss is a mad man. There is criticism and then destructive talk. He probably has very low self esteem and feels he needs to drag you down. Thank him for HIS opinion and keep working on yourself and find another job quick. Such personalities cannot be productive only destructive.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 27, 2016

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Olasco93: 9:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hollo hollop
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by CACAWA(m): 9:04pm On Jun 27, 2016
Ok
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Leoswaggs(m): 9:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
Na dis kind of tin dey apen wen u dey make noise inside class.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by tdayof(m): 9:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hmm, this is a serious issue. Op have you considered yourself to be good at what you do and I will advise you to keep going on.
I have an advice for you. You are definitely a graduate, why not just settle down.... Look through your certificate, am not talking about grades. Research about what the world needs in your area of specialization, then think about what you can offer. It won't look easy but find something unique bro as this is the key to success in life. Try getting above average, stay away from 90%.
.......all these petty companies saying shiit can be annoying . Don't settle for less and believe in yourself.

Never let someone's opinion of you become your reality.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by chimah3(m): 9:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
Obedience is better than...

So just go back... cry

Buh on a more serious note, be a man n cheer up! Na because of this small yarn u dey feel down?

Welcome to life...you will still meet a lot of his type and hear a lot of heartbreaking words...

Learn to let things go n don't let it affect u...unless you really know you need to go back to school! Lol

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by lion042(m): 9:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
because you don't know anything grin
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by charlieot(m): 9:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.

see life is too fun to be thinking about the opinion and behavior of your colleagues.
the biggest fear we as human face is fear of what others will say or think of us,a fear which is really not there,an illusion created be our minds.

op go to work,live your life and do you job like nothing happened.

if the negative vibes still keeps coming from ur colleagues,quit and move on if u want or stay and ignore them.

afterall your working harder and harder will only get ur firm owners richer

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by SPG4U(m): 9:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
ask your boss..."who school epp?"

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Acidosis(m): 9:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
Keep learning bro...
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by emmanuelbrown26: 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

Yes....

U ARE RIGHT, THEIR IS AN ELEMENT OF PRIDE
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Globalhustler(m): 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
thats cold. that your oga no nice at all. send me him number make i blast am.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Scream(m): 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
You have a lot of people with low self-esteem in that organisation...even the boss. It is now their culture! Do not allow such people influence you.

If they were better, they won't have scored you high the first time! Your boss would have made useful inputs that would have helped you if he had a clue. He is empty headed and shameless.

He couldn't upscale the competencies of people that came to learn under him and he had the guts to spew poo.

You need to calm down and seek knowledge...burst your head with books to the extent that you won't need their validation.

When you do your presentation next time and they come with their negativity, you embarrass them with facts and figures. You quote authorities and shut them up...

7 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dauntless15(m): 9:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
How you react in this kind of situation determines the way they will treat you in future, if you cower into a corner and crawl into your shell it shows your weak and thats a quality of a cornered rat, the world is a mean place and you don't run from your problems you turn around and face it, if I'm you i would goto work, be myself strive to improve and most of all prove them wrong, or else they will always see you as the person that always gets bullied and its gonna be like high school all over again. Stop asking for thier approval of you, give them space, start being proffessional no more chit chats and thier respect for you will grow. Trust me

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by pippimp(m): 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:

Guy, to move forward you need to find out where you err'd. Ask your boss or someone close to him, which part of your presentation you performed poorly and try to read up on it. I would suggest you start looking for a new job because you do not have the respect of your superiors and your subordinates. It might lead you to being fired. Personally, I think you would better off looking for another job. Your boss is very unprofessional. You don't talk to your employees like that

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Tamakay(m): 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:

E

Don't feel bad at all it's a ploy for them to use u like Jacky and pay little. You might even be the best and your boss is using this to test ur temparament too. Keep it cool boy. I'm talking from experience

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:

Simple let someone proof read and analyse your works before every meeting I can help yu F.O.C. cos i wont be able to stand it if somethin happens to you.You can create a thread or send an email,we have many I.T Gurus here i believe this is one method another is to google and read look for details before every meeting

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. .. / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.