Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. (33828 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Cholls(m): 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
my brother wear a customized shirt that says "Amadioha punish any body that laugh at me"
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by emandman: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
My first boss told me to go back to primary school..I cried..
Then I remember I was the first in my class right from primary sch to bsc
I study social science course yet I can design a website.
I am the heir of my father and the President of my departmental association
Something tells me my boss was not right about me.
Think of great things uv done and great dreams u have. It will help u move on.

3 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Olusharp(m): 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by emmanuelbrown26: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2016
I dont think u hv life experience, if u hv life experience when they were laughing u would hv also laugh wit them. Hv u been in a situation ur own family will even write u off, my broda wit my experience in dis life, i see nothing in this, absolutely nothing. Their was one man i worked wit as a PA, a slight mistake he will say emma i dont u u went to school, in the next minutes when he will be wit his friends, he will tell them dat emma is the best. C'mon man-up, dats why u are a man, men are suppose to be mentally strong na
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by logicalhumour: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2016

I smell village witch

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2016
@fragilebeing it is not what you say but how you communicate,Let me explain i was chosen to head I.C.T in a firm this week,suddenly sunday 7am i was called and asked to give a review on pros and con by 2,pm i gave the presentation everyone was shocked no going home to read or anything,Wisdom is an outpouring of the content you have in you.Jesus taught a wiseman from the treasure of his heart will dish things out..You gotta increase in learning try to study something new in your field weekly to grow your understanding.I recommend I.C.T magazines like computer shopper

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by FEEXPERT: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2016
"We owe almost all our knowledge not to those who have agreed but to those that differed"
Charles Caleb Carlson.

So politely ask your boss why he told you to go back to school; you will thank him after your next presentation.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by histemple: 9:13pm On Jun 27, 2016
The one and most important quality of successful people is believing in self---Self-confidence.

From what you have written here, it's obvious you are an intelligent person. But in presentation, there are required skills that determines its success or not.

I may not know how composed, concise and eloquent you are, but shouldn't be bothered about the mockery by your colleagues. Only fools laugh to such uncultured utterances from your boss.

You will agree with me that you are very much better than those laughing at you. Again, you can always learn. One problem I identified in your submission is that you believed you were excellent based on what your colleagues told you during your rehearsal---and so, you found it derogatory to be rated less than 100%.

What you could have done or can still do, is to turn the table around by first opening your mind to learn. Secondly, go to that particular loquacious boss in a friendly disposition and tell him you will like him to teach you how to become better because you believe he can help you. Please don't show any atom of sarcasm.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2016
Google up or buy any book on " the art of communication " and you will understand posture utterance dressing is all part of the game that if you eloquently deliver your presentation with serious eloquence even if u say rubbish u will beat the guy making sense.Trust me i use this trick well
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by nnalove(m): 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2016
Did u speak against Buhari Mr Man?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by ted1741: 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2016
It sounds as though you are beginning to believe their mediocre labeling on you. It may be had to be in such toxic workplace that creates Paranoiac tendency, I suggest you hold your head high, work harder and prove them wrong and believe in yourself.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Lawalemi(m): 9:15pm On Jun 27, 2016
It's one of the low side of paid employment; oftentimes you get discouraged by boss.

I had similar supervisor who only became my 'close' friend as his retirement drew near.

In other word, do your job and consider it a phase in a career.

It will also make you value every penny that you give out having been tormented by Nebuchadnezzar
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 9:15pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

Yes....
It is element of pride that makes us feel we know a lot and once that is proven to be false, it hits us hard.

So when u calm down and try to be better no matter how good you are, it makes you see statements that says you don't know much as a challenge rather than as an insult.
There isn't anything wrong with having pride and this isn't a matter of the OP being proud. Only a stup1d person would not know he doesn't know and feel insulted for being told so, an intelligent person would recognise an insult when he sees one, the OP was openly insulted, why did they hire him if he knew nothing and needed to go back to school?

Let's assume the OP got it wrong, is that the proper and professional way to let him know? Why give positive feedback only to deny later on? What sort of pettiness is that?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by lollmaolol(m): 9:16pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary:

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

Your boss wants the best for you pally. I don't have problems if the company is going to sponsor your new school tuition fees and other charges
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by enigma2007(m): 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2016
OP! Your boss just did you a favor and you better grab the opportunity to learn! My manager once told me that " i know nothing and therefore useless to him".

So i adopted a new philosophy about life that "I know nothing" and therefore applied myself to acquiring skills that will advance my career. I never admit to knowing anything despite the fact that i considered to be an expert with excellent track records.

So i keep learning in order to know something

Also, you need to learn to do research and google is your friend. Moreover, look for people within your office that genuinely care about your development and parlay up.. You don't need everybody to be your friend or not laugh at you.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
There isn't anything wrong with having pride and this isn't a matter of the OP being proud. Only a stup1d person would not know he doesn't know and feel insulted for being told so, an intelligent person would recognise an insult when he sees one, the OP was openly insulted, why did they hire him if he knew nothing and needed to go back to school?

Let's assume the OP got it wrong, is that the proper and professional way to let him know? Why give positive feedback only to deny later on? What sort of pettiness is that?

That was just a careless statement from some one. That statement is not relevant.

What should be the focus is that he did something and the person feels it was not good enough.

It could av been a customer or client that said the same. You have to just put ur heads up and move on.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by enigma2007(m): 9:19pm On Jun 27, 2016
Puresolutions:
@fragilebeing it is not what you say but how you communicate,Let me explain i was chosen to head I.C.T in a firm this week,suddenly sunday 7am i was called and asked to give a review on pros and con by 2,pm i gave the presentation everyone was shocked no going home to read or anything,Wisdom is an outpouring of the content you have in you.Jesus taught a wiseman from the treasure of his heart will dish things out..You gotta increase in learning try to study something new in your field weekly to grow your understanding.I recommend I.C.T magazines like computer shopper

Exactly! Learning is key
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Greg20166: 9:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
I can't even think straight anymore...
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.
I feel like it would have been better if I never existed in the first place.

Some of them laughing to my face consistently is bullying the crap out of me.

Please how can I overcome this?

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

you are acting like a woman.I don't see anything wrong even if you are Albert Einstein and your colleagues are laughing at you.if you are good you shouldn't have any problems.anyway if you like quit your job na you sabi.so many women around in men clothing...

SMH
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by northvietnam(m): 9:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
B4 nko, ur moniker is even testifying sef ..
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by vital94(m): 9:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
The bottom line is that your boss and others laughing at you are educated illiterates.most of them dont know anything.dont mind them.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 9:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
COME FOR JUST ONE MONTH LET ME TRAIN AND MENTOR YOU IN THE ART OF PRESENTATION FOR FREE.I WANT TO SEND YOU A MESSAGE TO THAT YOUR BOSS.IF YOU COME I;LL SHARPEN YOU.YOU'RE NOT SHARP LOOK AT YOUR USERNAME FRAGILEMIND...WHATS THAT RUBBISH GET OUT OF THE HOLE YOU BURIED YOURSELF IN JOR

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 9:26pm On Jun 27, 2016
enigma2007:

Exactly! Learning is key

@enigma do our young ones read?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by iPrevail(m): 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
OP.. What you've experienced is just what happens when you work/under a moronic Arrow. Perhaps you didn't impress them enough.. but his comment was unnecessary, unethical and outright silly! That is how foolish people go ahead and run a company down with their tactlessness simply because people try to tackle issues from a different angle than theirs.
Whatever happened to making constructive criticisms?

Do you know how to make an hater suffer migraine?.. You ignore him! Work on yourself and try to improve. Be submissive and ready to learn.. it's the only way you're gonna improve tho.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 27, 2016
U were tested nd u failed for not being confident in ur work. Next time insist ur presentation is topnotch instead of agreeing with the negative comment.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
OP, I can imagine how you feel as I've been in a similar situation(only that in mine, I asked the boss why she hired me if I didn't pass the test, shame nearly killed her grin). Don't let what they did define you as you know that's not who you are, of course you'd be hurt as(as should be) but dust yourself up and work at being better than you already are, there's always something new to learn, you'd be surprised.

You also need to consider the possibility that there may be something you didn't do right, might actually just be an oversight, and because your boss is an a$$, he showed himself. As for your colleagues, believe it's nothing but envy/wickedness, that's the only explanation for their pettiness.

Now I don't really know you as a person to say you don't rub it in people's faces that you 'know', but I have to consider that, you know, that can really rub the wrong way, so I'd advice you desist from it, (again, I'm only assuming) still, this not a justifiable reason why you should be spoken to in that way.

Just cheer up, it's not really that serious if you are sure of yourself and yes, you can be, it's not a crime, just work at being better. See you talking of wanting to die, for this world wey dey sweet like this? No let me tell you say you no get sense o.grin

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
Lol... Instead make u talk to him back, u come here dey whine like baby....

Go back and tell him you didn't like the way he talk to you the other day.. Tell him respect is reciprocal.
Na position and money differentiate una ooo.

If he tries to form boss, tell him to go to h*ll....

That kind person no fit help u in future so move on.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
How did your boss run the firm if he could not manage his staff very well. Is that how he motivate his employee.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Originalsly: 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2016
If you know you need not go back to school...why stress? Look at other angles. Let's reason. ... you just joined the staff... the new guy... the junior guy. Did you stick to your assignment .... doing it well? No... you took it upon yourself to go fix computers...couldn't wait for them to ask. You took it upon yourself to find solutions to other problems.... then do presentation pointing out ways in which the company can make strides. Now when you display such smartness...and problem solving abilities... the real bosses would take note... and guess who may have a big promotion?...a big raise in pay?...and whose job may be in jeopardy? Your fellow workers...all of them senior to you... and your boss would not wait around for just arrived you to become their boss. They know the possibility and are taking no chances...their jobs and positions must be secured....so guess who they would want to see go? For now. ..stick to your assignment only and all would be well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 27, 2016
@ OP,your boss might be right based on his assesment and evaluation of your IQ and had to relate it to how he feels you carry yourself.Maybe he got an opportunity to let you know you're just an impostor.

Why don't you re evaluate yourself and tell yourself the truth because sometimes we might think we know a lot,but a minute with a very intelligent person exposes us completely.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Securedlife(m): 9:38pm On Jun 27, 2016
S is for school, C is for class, boda mi, wen are going back to school abi class room?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by ucheokpara100(m): 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2016
ur own is just a small office, i'm into the same thing but my own is the whole community bullying and laughing at me any where i go, just because i was rich suddenly lost everything. the lesson i learnt is if God blessed u with anything wealth or great knowledge be calm and learn 2 tolerate everything else people will undo you just because they are jealous of u.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by eleojo23: 9:41pm On Jun 27, 2016
Greg20166:

you are acting like a woman.I don't see anything wrong even if you are Albert Einstein and your colleagues are laughing at you.if you are good you shouldn't have any problems.anyway if you like quit your job na you sabi.so many women around in men clothing...

SMH

The self-acclaimed macho men are beginning to arrive on the thread. Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Army 87RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2024/2025 / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think / Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.