Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. (33829 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 11:19pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
There isn't anything wrong with having pride and this isn't a matter of the OP being proud. Only a stup1d person would not know he doesn't know and feel insulted for being told so, an intelligent person would recognise an insult when he sees one, the OP was openly insulted, why did they hire him if he knew nothing and needed to go back to school?

Let's assume the OP got it wrong, is that the proper and professional way to let him know? Why give positive feedback only to deny later on? What sort of pettiness is that?

They are wrong, nobody says they are right

I feel like preaching on

" Why sit we here till we die"

Read that story from the Bible
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Originalsly: 11:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
While I understand what you said, I must say, you sounded like it's the Op's fault, so just wanna say that, OP shouldn't have to apologise for being smart and putting that smartness to work, it's the bosses and colleagues who are threatened by someone's strengths, instead of working to become better themselves, that should be ashamed.

Even if OP wasn't asked to help before he did, so long as it was with good intentions and not taking over/doing someone else's job to make that person look bad, then I think he deserves some credit.
I hear you!...no doubt op has good intentions... and like he said from jump... was trying to show through his works that he can be an asset to the company. That's all good.... but he need to be aware that this can give rise to jealousy....by even his boss... the reason they smile with him one day and stab him in the back the next. He should try and move on as soon as possible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 11:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

They are wrong, nobody says they are right

I feel like preaching on

" Why sit we here till we die"

Read that story from the Bible
I don't know what this has to do with the bible though, and what you really mean.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Fawklicant: 11:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
Bros! If you come be vic o nko? That nigga has been laughed at, scorned damned yet crucified....but still him rise. Focus on improving your self and like @dammytosh said, eliminate pride. That is the only way to learn. Haters gon' hate but sometimes haters have reason to hate because you give them reason to.
Ordinary go back to school and you are venting? He didnt tell you that you have the IQ of a fowl or ask if you came as a goat in your previous life? You never see mouth sef!
Himble yourself and try to associate with those who seem better than you, that way you can learn faster and know when you are being genuinely appreciated.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 11:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
I don't know what this has to do with the bible though, and what you really mean.

It means a lot.

It is a story that teaches us not to sit on a spot no matter the situation.

Just keep moving.

You cnt bury ur head down for a long time because of what people do or say about u.

You gat to pick ur self up and move on.

That statement I quoted was said by some cripple guys in the bible.

It is a very long story but I have learnt a lot about life from it.

About you moving forward no matter the situation.

Life is like a bicycle, u can only get a balance on two tyres by peddling and moving.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Taryur3(m): 11:32pm On Jun 27, 2016
No matter what,never let any words from any body pull you down.cope with the situation and move on bro
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 11:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

It means a lot.

It is a story that teaches us not to sit on a spot no matter the situation.

Just keep moving.

You cnt bury ur head down for a long time because of what people do or say about u.

You gat to pick ur self up and move on.

That statement I quoted was said by some cripple guys in the bible.

It is a very long story but I have learnt a lot about life from it.

About you moving forward no matter the situation.

Life is like a bicycle, u can only get a balance on two tyres by peddling and moving.
I don't understand how what you are saying has anything to do with my post, of course you have to move on.

You were saying OP is proud(kinda blaming him), that's what I was addressing, not whether he has to move on or not.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by enigma2007(m): 12:10am On Jun 28, 2016
Puresolutions:

@enigma do our young ones read?

Nope! Is it not glaring with the way some of them reason or present their arguments?

So even believe that our education system prepared them for the world of work... So i laugh when i don't see people reading books to improve themselves.

P.S: I am reading on "Java" as i write this. Going into learning a new language ebook before i wrap it up for tonight.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by obstead200(m): 12:24am On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:

From being rated ok to being under probation...

And then the constant laughing to my face by my colleagues... marveling at my woe...

To criticizing my presentation after saying it was spot on before the main presentation...

Well....... I'm too downtrodden to type.
Well, there are 3 possibilities.
1. u really don't know as much as u think u do
2. ur colleagues are really daft and unprofessional to approve ur presentation in private and tear it down in the open to get the bosses to see their intelligence. (Eye service things)
3. Ur boss is in a bad mood or himself is too stupid to understand ur work

Sory,
Let's Make that 4 possibilities.......

4. The consulting firm is unprofessional and very substandard if they cannot brainstorm with u and help u solve ur problem and become better.

Ur action will depend on which possibility applies in ur case

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Codyt(m): 12:58am On Jun 28, 2016
cnnamoko:
Sorry

Check my signature for any thing ICT
undecided undecided undecided

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Codyt(m): 1:01am On Jun 28, 2016
freecocoa:
I don't understand how what you are saying has anything to do with my post, of course you have to move on.

You were saying OP is proud(kinda blaming him), that's what I was addressing, not whether he has to move on or not.
Many happy returns. Have a blast kiss
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by defemidefemi(m): 1:24am On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
I can't even think straight anymore...
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.
I feel like it would have been better if I never existed in the first place.

Some of them laughing to my face consistently is bullying the crap out of me.

Please how can I overcome this?

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Rick9(m): 2:00am On Jun 28, 2016
They are laughing at you because u are better than them and they are trying to be like u and wishing that they could do half of the things you do and know half of the things you know. Turn their mockery to a source of inspiration to be better than the best
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Thobiy(m): 2:08am On Jun 28, 2016
emerged01:
Hold on bro! Give it a little time,what you are passing through now will surely pass away. Just hold on a bit! Such awkward moment comes at a time when you least expected,getting over it what makes you a strong person. Stay calm and know that you can always come out of a bad situation a better man.
Naso
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by vislabraye(m): 2:39am On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.

I don't get something. How can they score you 70% and still say you performed poorly ? . Isee that as a contradiction.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by nightmile: 4:29am On Jun 28, 2016
Everyone has a beginning; I almost fainted when my manager suddenly told me to make a presentation on his behalf in 2007. But today, even Shekau will clap if I present a topic in his presence. Don't stop trying..
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Kollyk11(m): 4:53am On Jun 28, 2016
its oobvious ur mates are jealous of ur TOO-KNOW attitudes and for ur boss he is trying to frustrate u out of the system so that he can bring in dat his useless uncles son to replace u.gaskiya.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 5:04am On Jun 28, 2016
Kollyk11:
its oobvious ur mates are jealous of ur TOO-KNOW attitudes and for ur boss he is trying to frustrate u out of the system so that he can bring in dat his useless uncles son to replace u.gaskiya.

@Kollyk11 see wetin too much Nollywood dey do you.. grin e come be lyk say u even dey d office in the midst of the whole parole
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Kollyk11(m): 5:07am On Jun 28, 2016
Puresolutions:

@Kollyk11 see wetin too much Nollywood dey do you.. grin e come be lyk say u even dey d office in the midst of the whole parole
my broda no be my fault oooo na wetin buhari cause ooo
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Puresolutions: 5:16am On Jun 28, 2016
Kollyk11:
my broda no be my fault oooo na wetin buhari cause ooo

Lol. Nigerians people like to take other people's positions sha
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by ledaman: 5:19am On Jun 28, 2016
It not an insult it is an advice
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by adwaani(m): 5:30am On Jun 28, 2016
ucheokpara100:
ur own is just a small office, i'm into the same thing but my own is the whole community bullying and laughing at me any where i go, just because i was rich suddenly lost everything. the lesson i learnt is if God blessed u with anything wealth or great knowledge be calm and learn 2 tolerate everything else people will undo you just because they are jealous of u.

God richly bless you...your comment just made my day...You will indeed return to greater heights with such a positive attitude
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by tunde1200(m): 5:42am On Jun 28, 2016
Tamakay:
E

Don't feel bad at all it's a ploy for them to use u like Jacky and pay little. You might even be the best and your boss is using this to test ur temparament too. Keep it cool boy. I'm talking from experience

It might be true.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 28, 2016
The ppl u work for are obviously bad ppl there d one's whu can ruin u.....if u really knw what ur doing and ur worth you will not sit and take nonsense
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Lifestone(m): 6:13am On Jun 28, 2016
dauntless15:
How you react in this kind of situation determines the way they will treat you in future, if you cower into a corner and crawl into your shell it shows your weak and thats a quality of a cornered rat, the world is a mean place and you don't run from your problems you turn around and face it, if I'm you i would goto work, be myself strive to improve and most of all prove them wrong, or else they will always see you as the person that always gets bullied and its gonna be like high school all over again. Stop asking for thier approval of you, give them space, start being proffessional no more chit chats and thier respect for you will grow. Trust me
Good talk here.
I once had similar experience early in my career when I worked with the then Anderson consulting (Accenture) who was consulting for our company.
My Answer: Straight to the library to study harder
Result: Commendation from same set of guys laughing at me
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by adecares(f): 6:49am On Jun 28, 2016
ignore their bully and work on your output, no one is perfect and believe me your best is yet to come. we learn and improve each day.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by rollex4ever: 6:50am On Jun 28, 2016
You are the only one in-charge of your life... what people say is just for review, if it worth it you work with it, if not you move on. Remember the best competitor you have is you and you only... Never allow anyone to talk you down.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 6:53am On Jun 28, 2016
Codyt:
Many happy returns. Have a blast kiss
Thank you.wink

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by spreado(m): 6:55am On Jun 28, 2016
dammytosh:

Yes....
It is element of pride that makes us feel we know a lot and once that is proven to be false, it hits us hard.

So when u calm down and try to be better no matter how good you are, it makes you see statements that says you don't know much as a challenge rather than as an insult.

luv ur speech
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 6:59am On Jun 28, 2016
spreado:

luv ur speech
Thanks Bro
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by smileysmiley(f): 7:01am On Jun 28, 2016
op are you Jesus that all of them are trying to crucify you if they are all saying the same thing about your presentation then there is an iota of truth in it.... I agree with your boss in the sense that most Nigerian graduates need to go back to school, bunch of dumb humans... if you were intelligent enough, you should have taken it as a constructive criticism and work on it but now your brain is telling you they are ganging up on you... so dumb and lame.... you want to kill yourself cause you were asked to put more effort in work, lazy thing.... kill yourself and see if the world will end because one man somewhere that virtually nobody knows killed himself... on the brighter side, take additional classes if there is need for it and improve and watch the world celebrate your success
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:

Wow! This is lovely but truly u may have to go back to school because you do not have the psychological and emotional balance to sustain against 'pressure'.
Your boss ain't asking you to go back to school coz you are dull but because it is a wide spread truth that life no be by book alone. Educationists sabi wella say your mark shld be %/400 (academic 100%,emotional 100%, psychological 100%, i no remembr d last one). outa 400% na just 70/100(academic only) wey no even reach half of 400%.
Now make i ask you, is ur boss wrong or right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Army 87RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2024/2025 / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think / Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.