Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,914 members, 7,802,977 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician (1046 Views)

Aisha Buhari Attends Crans Montana African Women's Forum In Brussels (photos) / Aisha Buhari Heads To Brussels (photos) / Orji Uzor-Kalu After A Meeting In Brussels Today(photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by copley: 5:07am On Jun 28, 2016
A FRENCH presidential candidate has claimed English should be banned as an official EU language after Britain leaves Brussels – despite it being an official language of two other countries in the union.

Jean-Luc Melenchon has said English should not be the third working language of European institutions when the UK decides to leave.

But the language is used in day-to-day business in Brussels and it is an official language in Ireland and Malta.

Winger Melenchon, 64, said: “English can no longer be the third working language of the European parliament.”

And mayor of the French town of Beziers, Robert Menard, tweeted: “The English language is no longer legitimate in Brussels.”

But overbearing EU bureaucracy means English could be phased out anyway.

Danuta Huebner, head of the European Parliament’s Constitutional Affairs Committee, said: “We have a regulation… where every EU country has the right to notify one official language.

“The Irish have notified Gaelic, and the Maltese have notified Maltese, so you have only the UK notifying English.

“If we don’t have the UK, we don’t have English.”

Brussels has 23 official languages, but German, French and English are the top “working” languages used in the Commission and council of ministers.

And English is the most popular foreign language used by MEPs and Brussels officials.

However an EU chief promised English will be maintained as a working language in the 27-nation bloc.

German commissioner Gunther Oettinger said: “We have a series of member states that speak English, and English is the world language which we all accept.”

Read more @http://www.buzorpages.com/2016/06/english-should-be-banned-in-brussels.html

1 Like

Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by IamSimi(m): 5:13am On Jun 28, 2016
Lol, everything just dey red for them. Ftc?

1 Like

Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by youngest85(m): 5:23am On Jun 28, 2016
only God will save dem 4rm dem
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by MidasTouche01(m): 5:29am On Jun 28, 2016
I used to think Africans are the only dumb voters o, so The Brits are even dumb than Africans, I wonder what they aim to achieve with Brexit in the first place
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by laykhorn(m): 5:31am On Jun 28, 2016

And so the ruins begin. I hope the UK would be able to gather its remains after the woes of leaving EU.

I hear the Economy is very terrible for them right now.

Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by babyfaceafrica: 6:25am On Jun 28, 2016
Who uk epp?
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by chriskosherbal(m): 6:27am On Jun 28, 2016
This is serious.
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by PehaKaso: 6:57am On Jun 28, 2016
LM
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by dimieprincess(f): 7:05am On Jun 28, 2016
MidasTouche01:
I used to think Africans are the only dumb voters o, so The Brits are even dumb than Africans, I wonder what they aim to achieve with Brexit in the first place
Please stop these propaganda, are u an APC member? English people did that because they know what democracy is all about. In democracy, you allow the people to decide their future and not the way it is being practice in Nigeria where people fight toothand nail to making sure we remain as one even when we ain't love ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by Candyrain(m): 7:14am On Jun 28, 2016
dimieprincess:

Please stop these propaganda, are u an APC member? English people did that because they know what democracy is all about. In democracy, you allow the people to decide their future and not the way it is being practice in Nigeria where people fight toothand nail to making sure we remain as one even when we ain't love ourselves.

Since I've been coming across ur post this is the first time u've made some sense. Keep it up
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by fulanimafia: 7:25am On Jun 28, 2016
MidasTouche01:

Reality is the outcome of the vote did not reflect the desires of young and educated Brits. They believed so much in the referendum ending with an 'IN' victory, somuch so that there was tremendous voter apathy in their ranks, but they horribly underestimated the resolve of the older, archaic, conservative and bigoted (in actual fact, racist) Brits. Brexit was really all about clamping down on immigration.

The anger is red hot and serious moves are being made by Labour to ensure that Brexit is not implemented. The EU is enraged, the economic migrants (Polish, Romanians etc.) are livid and insecure, and everything is going the opposite way. Just yesterday, the British credit rating was cut down from its enviable AAA rating to AA.

To the extent that the younger active majority were extremely naive and lackadaisical, you are quite right.

1 Like

Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by Nobody: 8:10am On Jun 28, 2016
Na wa o
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by MidasTouche01(m): 8:45am On Jun 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

Reality is the outcome of the vote did not reflect the desires of young and educated Brits. They believed so much in the referendum ending with an 'IN' victory, somuch so that there was tremendous voter apathy in their ranks, but they horribly underestimated the resolve of the older, archaic, conservative and bigoted (in actual fact, racist) Brits. Brexit was really all about clamping down on immigration.

The anger is red hot and serious moves are being made by Labour to ensure that Brexit is not implemented. The EU is enraged, the economic migrants (Polish, Romanians etc.) are livid and insecure, and everything is going the opposite way. Just yesterday, the British credit rating was cut down from its enviable AAA rating to AA.

To the extent that the younger active majority were extremely naive and lackadaisical, you are quite right.

Seriously u understand the issue perfectly....

Kudos
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by MidasTouche01(m): 8:55am On Jun 28, 2016
dimieprincess:

Hmmm, seriously I'm short of words, people like you go about shouting democracy without even knowing the basic concept behind it.....

Reading ur comment, I felt like crying, but what the hell, it's a free world and everyone has the right to his/her own opinion
Re: English Should Be BANNED In Brussels After Britain Leaves, Top French Politician by Tunechi1(m): 9:31am On Jun 28, 2016
Dem wan finish uk patapata

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Forum Anti Corruption Movement To Aisha Buhari "Please Go To Usa" / Hmmm!!!! ‘do Not Accuse My Ministers Of Corruption Without Evidence’ – Buhari / See Pix Of Ifeanyi Ubah FC Players & Fans Attacked By Heartland FC Fans In Oweri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.