Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,266 members, 7,807,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

I Am Ready To Go To Jail-bukola Saraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Ready To Go To Jail-bukola Saraki (583 Views)

Bukola Saraki Not Licensed To Practice Medicine In UK - General Medical Council / Bukola Saraki Sacks 98 Aides / Dino Melaye To Senate: "I Changed My Name & I Am Ready To Tender The Affidavit" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Am Ready To Go To Jail-bukola Saraki by okpiewon(m): 7:54am On Jun 28, 2016
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, his Deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, docked before a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja over alleged forgery of Senate Standing Rules were yesterday granted bail.

Also facing trial with Saraki and Ekweremadu are the former Clerk of the National Assembly, Alhaji Salisu Abubakar Maikasuwa and the acting Clerk, Mr. Benedict Efeturi who were also granted bail.
The defendants were put on trial by the Federal Government on the allegation of forging the Senate Standing Rules used on June 9, 2015 to conduct the election that brought Saraki and Ekweremadu to office as principal officers of the Senate.
They pleaded not guilty to the charge, shortly after it was read to them, prompting their lawyers Mr. Ikechukwu Ezechukwu (SAN) for Maikasuwa, Mahmud Magaji (SAN) for Efeturi, Paul Erokoro (SAN) for Saraki and Joseph Daudu (SAN) for Ekweremadu, to move application for their bail.
Meanwhile, piqued by his arraignment, Saraki has declared that a few persons had taken over executive powers from President Muhammadu Buhari and were exercising the same against the wishes of Nigerians and the rules of democracy.‎
Justice Yusuf Halilu, after taking arguments from the counsel, admitted all of them to bail with two sureties each who must be Nigerians, male or female and who must have landed properties either in Maitama, Asokoro, Wuse or Apo Legislative Quarters.
The judge in his ruling held that Section 35 and 36 of the 1999 Constitution as amended presumes the defendants innocent of the charges against them and that it is normal and natural for them to be allowed on bail so as to prepare for their defence.
The judge, who took judicial notice of the positions of the defendants, said there was nothing by way of evidence to suggest that they would jump bail if allowed to go home. The judge, however, said that in the event of the defendants unable to meet up with the bail conditions, they should be remanded in Kuje Prison pending the time they will be able to do so.
Earlier, counsel to the Federal Government, who is also the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation (DPPF), Mr. Mohammed Diri, had told the court that he had no opposition to the bail of Saraki on the ground that he is the President of the Senate, so as not to cripple the activities of the Senate.
Diri, however, opposed the bail of Ekweremadu, Maikasuwa and Efeturi on the grounds that they are likely to evade trial, having allegedly evaded the service of the charge.
The prosecution told the court that if convicted, the three defendants were likely to be jailed for 14 years and that because of the gravity of the punishment, the court should be cautious in granting them bail.
Erokoro, while moving a bail application for Saraki, told the court that apart from the charge, Saraki’s name was never mentioned, either in the proof of evidence or in the police report, adding that he had not in any way been linked with the alleged offence of conspiracy and forgery.

Source:http://www.sarakinews.com/2016/06/i-am-ready-to-go-to-jail.html

Re: I Am Ready To Go To Jail-bukola Saraki by Mynd44: 7:57am On Jun 28, 2016
Re: I Am Ready To Go To Jail-bukola Saraki by daprince098(m): 9:21am On Jun 28, 2016
There is a provision in the senate rules which allows them to appoint anybody within the senate to preside over the affairs of the country in the absence of the senate president and his deputy. That Saraki should be granted bail on the basis of self recognition as the senate president and remanding the rest in Kuje prison does not make any sense. Come July 11th, the quad should be tried respectively without giving upper hand to anybody regardless of his post and let them face the wrath of the law if convicted.

(1) (Reply)

Militants Vow To Attack Imo State Govt, Oil Companies / Photos: Kano State Gov. Umar Ganduje Frees 500 Prison Inmates / Governor Masari Against Social Media Or Political Suicide?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.