Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn (13825 Views)

Investors Lose Money In Fake "Hedge Fund" BTD Multiglobal LTD / Investors Lose N432bn As Stocks Value Drops - VANGUARD / Nigerian Stocks Gain Most In The World Even As Liquidity Remain Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Islie: 8:32am On Jun 28, 2016
Investors in the country’s capital market recorded a loss of N278bn on Monday as concerns that the market might plummet due to the decision of Britain to leave the European Union heightened.

Some traders said there was the worry that the Brexit might slow foreign interest in the market.

The Nigerian Stock Exchange market capitalisation on Monday dropped to N10.248tn from N10.526tn, while the All-Share Index also declined to 29,840.23 basis points from 30,649.66 basis points recorded on Friday.

A total of 40 stocks recorded losses, while 16 made the gainers’ chart.
The market recorded a turnover of N4.027bn from 375.221 million shares traded in 4,229 deals.

United Capital Plc, Zenith Bank Plc, Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc, Forte Oil Plc and Seplat Petroleum Development Company Limited were the top five losers on the chart.

United Capital’s share dropped by N0.22 (7.94 per cent) to close at N2.32 from N2.52, while that of Zenith Bank lost N1.04 (6.12 per cent) to close at N15.96 from N17.
Stanbic IBTC also closed at N16.15 from N17, losing N0.85 (five per cent), while Forte Oil posted a decline of N10 (five per cent) to close at N190 from N200.

The share price of Seplat Petroleum fell to N331.60 from N348.97, losing N17.37 (4.98 per cent).

Other losers were Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc, Oando Plc, Ikeja Hotels Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, Diamond Bank Plc, Fidelity Bank Plc, Flour Mills Nigeria Plc, AG Leventis Nigeria Plc, Sterling Bank Plc and Unity Bank Plc, among others.

Analysts said the stocks began the week on a negative footing as sell-offs across board prevailed. Asian markets shrugged off Friday’s global sell-off, while the European markets slid further as investors continued to weigh the impact of Britain’s decision. United States futures pointed to a lower open.

The NSE ASI and NSE 30 lost 2.63 per cent and 2.43 per cent, putting year-to-date returns at +4.19 per cent and +3.24 per cent, respectively.

The value of transactions was above May averages by 70 per cent, while the volume of transactions was below May averages by five per cent.

Fidson Healthcare Plc, Julius Berger Plc and GlaxoSmithkline Consumer Plc led the gainers chart, advancing by 9.91 per cent, five per cent and 4.97 per cent, respectively.

On Monday’s trading result, analysts at Vetiva Capital Management Limited said in the firm’s daily report, “Although we note the impact of broader downbeat global market sentiment, we believe today’s losses were largely fuelled by profit-taking across a handful of large cap stocks following the strength of the gains recorded in recent sessions. We think there’s still some room for profit-taking, and thus see a likelihood for another negative close in the session ahead.”

http://punchng.com/brexit-hits-nigerian-stocks-investors-lose-n278bn/

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by SeverusSnape(m): 8:35am On Jun 28, 2016
"Jonathan has finished this country, A year after, He's still causing the economy to plummet, Jona must go to jail with all PDP members, we need a one party system, thank god for baba" - according to Nairaland resident Zombies.

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by nnachukz(m): 8:49am On Jun 28, 2016
Na wa o everything that happens elsewhere na we go come suffer am pass.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by cckris: 8:58am On Jun 28, 2016
SeverusSnape:
"[color=#000099][b]Jonathan has finished this country, A year after, He's still causing the economy to plummet, Jona must go to jail with all PDP members, we need a one party system" - according to Nairaland resident Zombies.[/b][/color]

Buhari & APC better invite Ngozi to come & help them.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by SeverusSnape(m): 9:03am On Jun 28, 2016
cckris:

Buhari & APC better invite Ngozi to come & help them.
"we know Ngozi can revive the economy, but we won't call her to help, Never!... We are very proud, We won't try it, We know Kemi is an amateur but let her stay there, It's better our economy get destroyed than allow that puff-puff woman help, We would rather malign and accuse her of corruption, Yes!" -

^^ ACCORDING TO APC ZOMBIES.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by 2kass(m): 11:11am On Jun 28, 2016
Brexit they make eevryone exit...

Now even when its raining my bae doesn't get wet, pulls out my umbrella and ensures that I exit b4 I even come...

I hpe you wuldnt read that with a dirty mind

3 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by StArusi: 11:11am On Jun 28, 2016
I have never witnessed the level of hunger and poverty currently in Nigeria throughout my entire adult life. There's no middle class again. When president Mohammadu Buhari said he will use 'Army' to defend the naira, I never Knew he was referring to Buratai de genius. Things have fallen apart. The center is now a farce. Buhari has failed everybody. It's now more expensive to live & do business in #Nigeria than anywhere else in the world. GEJ will be feeling like an oracle wherever he is now. Buhari we never knew u were this incompetent. Our naira keeps falling like rainfall. Chai!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 28, 2016
Can't remember the last time I saw any good news about Nigeria since Buhari took over

27 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by abumeinben(m): 11:12am On Jun 28, 2016
undecided

Must everything affect Nigeria?

I could remember the news about bird flu back in the days in foreign continents, then the next thing,channelstv broadcast that same breakout was in Nigeria.

The cases of Ebola, SARS, Zika virus global melt down, now Brexit.

When are gonna infected by uninterrupted power supply just because Britain is celebrating decades of uninterrupted power supply?

When are we going to walk on thr moon just because China did?

Why can't we enjoy economic growth just because UAE produces same oyeh as we?

Nawao

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Berrylite: 11:12am On Jun 28, 2016
Chaii
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Lordskyes(m): 11:12am On Jun 28, 2016
Chai
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Alvinnado(m): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2016
Hmmmm doom is looming under Buhari
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Alvinnado(m): 11:14am On Jun 28, 2016
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Lighthouseman: 11:14am On Jun 28, 2016
OK... The stock market has been taking hits left right and center not because of any exit but due to buhari careless talks... Such as I will crush the militants, I will not kill the naira, etc... In such situations, investors hearing the word crush would be expecting warfare thereby withdrawing their stocks or selling off until conditions improve... Stop blaming any Briexit. What of Brientry, how did it affect the stock market then? How much British interest are there in Nigeria of today?
Buhari should face the economy and quit blaming...
U no fit, wear cloth let's call another mechanic to fix Nigeria. Stop forming mechanic under the van while we know u are doing nothing

14 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Splinz(m): 11:15am On Jun 28, 2016
A closer look at Buhari's first & second coming simply reveals that man as a terrible sad news. Think he's well better as a cow rearer.

24 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 28, 2016
SeverusSnape:
"Jonathan has finished this country, A year after, He's still causing the economy to plummet, Jona must go to jail with all PDP members, we need a one party system" - according to Nairaland resident Zombies.

More like our resource dependency.....and our failure to depend on innovation.

Looking beyond GEJ, PMB and ''Others''...Nigeria's economy is suffering because we prefer an economy fuelled by high prices of the raw materials we sell...and not on the products of our minds and hands.

3 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 28, 2016
Alvinnado:
Buhari brought about curse to the Nigerian economy

15 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by centboy123456(m): 11:16am On Jun 28, 2016
Nigeria my country na wow oh every is going bad day by day seen apc took over

2 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by LesbianBoy(m): 11:16am On Jun 28, 2016
SeverusSnape:

"we know Ngozi can revive the economy, but we won't call her to help, Never!... We are very proud, We won't try it, We know Kemi is an amateur but let her stay there, It's better our economy get destroyed than allow that puff-puff woman help, We would rather malign and accuse her of corruption, Yes!" -

^^ ACCORDING TO APC ZOMBIES.
Not we! Zombies won't want her! They prefer madam 16 + 6 = 24 and yet they wonder why the economy is this way!

13 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by drnairalov: 11:16am On Jun 28, 2016
everything affects Nigeria...waste of a cuntry
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2016
na the change wey papa Ejiro,mama Lilian,sister Vivian,brother Jhon, aunty Voke, pastor Emeka and mallam Abubarka vote for we com all join dey suffer so.. SAi Buhari

3 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 28, 2016
Splinz:
A closer look at Buhari's first & second coming simply reveals that man as a terrible sad news. Think he's well better as a cow rearer.
that has always been his calling don't know what he is doing in Presidential office

2 Likes

Nigeria will survive, the global recession didn't kill us, ergo, Brexit can't.

Brexit can't affect Nigerians more than the Britons.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a time when Nigeria will cough and Africa will catch cold. It's possible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by lordcyl3(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2016
pls can some explain the meaning of brexit for me?
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 28, 2016
Splinz:

Buhari's first and second commings have one thing in common.....

1.In 1984....Buhari took over some 18 months after the high oil price fuelled good times of the years 1973-82 came to an end. He had to spend most of the time minimising damage and plugging leakages in the economy....because our economy was soo resource dependent.

2.In 2016....Buhari has been in charge during a period of low oil prices.(pattern DEVELOPNG)

The mistake PMB is making both times is in not telling Nigerians how bad it is. Nigerians need to get the cold fact.....we are not a rich nation because the basis of our riches is dependent on the rise and fall of the raw materials we sell.

Not a good basis for economic development.

But Nigerians seem to think that the road to economic development is to sell more raw materials and share the money.

Even if we remove Buhari tomorrow...the problem would still be there. (We did in 1985...and the economy got worse by the end of the year. Then in 86 we got SAP...and in 89....DEVALUATION).

Nigeria needs to face facts...and spend money on the things that fuel an innovation based economy. Not basing our economy on oil and on some sharing of a cake that never even existed.

13 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by kennyjodeci(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2016
I am an APC supporter but e be like say Buhari get bad luck o....no good news since he took over

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by uncjay(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2016
And the dilemma continues.....

Hmmmm.....what a change!
Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Davidson267(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2016
God,provide for my needs in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2016
SeverusSnape:
"Jonathan has finished this country, A year after, He's still causing the economy to plummet, Jona must go to jail with all PDP members, we need a one party system" - according to Nairaland resident Zombies.
they are senseless turkey on the loose !

2 Likes

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Smooyis(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2016
Hmmm when Nigerias economy started on a negative trend, did England experience a fall? I reject every negative news concerning my nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Nigerian Stocks Investors Lose N278bn by Flexherbal(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2016
What is happening?
When we think things are getting better, they go worse.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls How Can I Invest #800k With Good Monthly Returns? / See Reasons Why Most People Dislike MLM Biz / USI-TECH - Bitcoin Passive Income Opportunity For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.