Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

How To Pay Zakah On A Salary - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How To Pay Zakah On A Salary (14019 Views)

A Reminder For Muslim Women To Pay Their Missed Ramadan Fast(s). / Is It Permissible To Pay Money In Order To Get A Job? / Zakah On Wages, Salaries And Profits From Freelance Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by Amoto94(m): 3:55pm On Jun 28, 2016
How to Pay Zakah on Ones’s Salary – Ibn Baz (rahimahullaah)
Zakaah on an Employee’s Salary – Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz
Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:
There is a man who depends on his monthly salary; he spends some and saves the rest. How should he pay zakaah on this money?
He replied:
He should write down what he saves of his salary, and pay zakaah on it when one year has passed. Zakaah should be paid on the savings of each month when one year has passed. If he pays zakaah on the total in the first month, there is nothing wrong with that and he will be rewarded for that, and it will be regarded as zakaah paid in advance for the savings for which one year has not yet passed. There is no reason why a person should not pay zakaah in advance if he sees some benefit in doing so. But delaying it after the year has passed is not permissible, unless there is a valid shar’i excuse , such as the wealth not being available or there being no poor people. End quote.
Tuhfat al-Ikhwaan bi Ajwabah Muhimmah tata’allaq bi Arkaan al-Islam (question no. 12)
Here is an Answer from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah :
If he insists on having all his rights and on not giving any charity to those who deserve it apart from what he is obliged to give, then he should make a schedule of his earnings and write down every amount and the date on which he took possession of it. Then he should pay zakaah for each amount separately when one year has passed from the date on which he took possession of it.
But if he wants an easier method, and wants to be more generous and give precedence to the poor and others who are entitled to zakaah over himself, then he can pay zakaah on all the money he possesses when one year has passed from the date when his wealth first reached the nisaab. This will bring a greater reward and raise him higher in status; it is easier for him and is more generous towards the poor and needy and others who are entitled to zakaah. Whatever extra amount he may pay will be regarded as a “down payment” on the zakaah for any wealth for which one year has not yet passed.
(From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah , 9/280)

5 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 01, 2016
Today 01/07/2016 I Came First To Comment So Shall All Things That I Shall Put My Hand This Month I Shall Come First If U Want To Come First In Everything You Do This Month Why Wont You Share And Like

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by alhajimuhd(m): 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
This is also subsequent that the final amount after a year would have met the minimum amount due(nisaab) for zakat

2 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by Musharraf: 12:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
JazakaLLAHU Khayra

1 Like

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by DaudaAbu(m): 12:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
The Op didnt raise the issue of minimum amount needed before zakat is paid.

Does that mean if i am earning 120k monthly and save like 50k every month i am still expected to pay the zakat?

And maybe some months, due some challenges i am not able to save the 50k but 30 or 35k?

3 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by ganiyu26(m): 12:22pm On Jul 01, 2016
Pls OP if for instance I earn 30k per month how do I pay zakah on such monthly earnings and what are the means of doing do. Jazakalahu khayran

1 Like

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by auwalyau: 12:35pm On Jul 01, 2016
The nisab (minimum amount that Zakat is due) as at today 26th Ramadan, 1437 (1st July, 2016) is N1,113,953.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by LuckyLadolce(m): 12:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
Jazakum
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by base83: 1:16pm On Jul 01, 2016
Thank you to the poster who clarified on the minimum amount due to zakat; because the annual gross salary of some of us is not even up to the nisaab. I guess sadaaqat is what people like that should be encourage to give. Salaam

3 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by thedio(m): 2:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
JazakaLAHU khayra
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by RingimKabir(m): 2:31pm On Jul 01, 2016
auwalyau:
The nisab (minimum amount that Zakat is due) as at today 26th Ramadan, 1437 (1st July, 2016) is N1,113,953.

Will you please elaborate?
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by mfm04622: 2:36pm On Jul 01, 2016
Amoto94:
How to Pay Zakah on Ones’s Salary – Ibn Baz (rahimahullaah)
Zakaah on an Employee’s Salary – Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz
Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:
There is a man who depends on his monthly salary; he spends some and saves the rest. How should he pay zakaah on this money?
He replied:
He should write down what he saves of his salary, and pay zakaah on it when one year has passed. Zakaah should be paid on the savings of each month when one year has passed. If he pays zakaah on the total in the first month, there is nothing wrong with that and he will be rewarded for that, and it will be regarded as zakaah paid in advance for the savings for which one year has not yet passed. There is no reason why a person should not pay zakaah in advance if he sees some benefit in doing so. But delaying it after the year has passed is not permissible, unless there is a valid shar’i excuse , such as the wealth not being available or there being no poor people. End quote.
Tuhfat al-Ikhwaan bi Ajwabah Muhimmah tata’allaq bi Arkaan al-Islam (question no. 12)
Here is an Answer from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah :
If he insists on having all his rights and on not giving any charity to those who deserve it apart from what he is obliged to give, then he should make a schedule of his earnings and write down every amount and the date on which he took possession of it. Then he should pay zakaah for each amount separately when one year has passed from the date on which he took possession of it.
But if he wants an easier method, and wants to be more generous and give precedence to the poor and others who are entitled to zakaah over himself, then he can pay zakaah on all the money he possesses when one year has passed from the date when his wealth first reached the nisaab. This will bring a greater reward and raise him higher in status; it is easier for him and is more generous towards the poor and needy and others who are entitled to zakaah. Whatever extra amount he may pay will be regarded as a “down payment” on the zakaah for any wealth for which one year has not yet passed.
(From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah , 9/280)

This is clearly WRONG! There are 2 conditions to be met before a salary earner can pay Zakat. 1) The amount Zakat is paid on is up to Nisab. Nisab at present is more than a million. 2) the amount must have spent a year in ones hand.

The best way for salary earners to pay Zakat is to chose a specific time of the year and calculate his net worth. Then exclude things Zakat are n paid on (like the house you live that is your own, like machines you us for business, etc) then check if the amount is up to Nisab.

1 Like

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by mfm04622: 2:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
RingimKabir:

Will you please elaborate?

The Nisab is the determining level at which you pay or don't pay Zakat. If you have below the Nisab, you don't need to pay, if you own above it, you need to pay Zakat.

1 Like

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by mfm04622: 2:44pm On Jul 01, 2016
ganiyu26:
Pls OP if for instance I earn 30k per month how do I pay zakah on such monthly earnings and what are the means of doing do. Jazakalahu khayran

Zakat is paid on your savings, not your earnings. Even if you earn 2M every month and don't save anything, you don't pay Zakat. If exception to this are farmers and miners. Farmers MUST pay 10% of what they reap no matter the quantity as Zakat. Miners to (not sure of the %)

2 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by Laid2001: 3:03pm On Jul 01, 2016
Walilahi-l-hamdu.
Jazakhalah Khaeran to the OP.

It is easier for a salary earner to pay his Zakat Monthly since he receives the money monthly. If he wants to pay Monthly, he will pay 2.67% as opposed to the 2.5% since our Gregorian calendar is slightly longer than the lunar calendar.
He should calculate how much is used monthly on his basic need that are not zakatable and then pay the 2.67% on the remaining amount monthly.
This is what many workers do in Malaysia. They simply pay 2.67% of their salary as Zakat!. Although, Zakat is Tax exempted in Malaysia and they get tax rebate on it.

1 Like

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by 982ABU(m): 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2016
JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by bibiking7(m): 3:27pm On Jul 01, 2016

I must confess that Zakat always confuses me and right now, i am confused. Is it that if the Nisab level for paying zakat is 1.1 million saved. And i have only been able to save 900 thousand, then i am not oblidged to pay. Plus, what if the savings of 2 million is a joint contribution of Husband and wife.

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by RingimKabir(m): 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2016
mfm04622:

The Nisab is the determining level at which you pay or don't pay Zakat. If you have below the Nisab, you don't need to pay, if you own above it, you need to pay Zakat.

I saved 50K from my salary every month. Does that means if it reach Nisab I will pay zakat or I have to earn as much as Nisab monthly before I can pay zakat?
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by EazyMoh(m): 3:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
Laid2001:
Walilahi-l-hamdu.
Jazakhalah Khaeran to the OP.

It is easier for a salary earner to pay his Zakat Monthly since he receives the money monthly. If he wants to pay Monthly, he will pay 2.67% as opposed to the 2.5% since our Gregorian calendar is slightly longer than the lunar calendar.
He should calculate how much is used monthly on his basic need that are not zakatable and then pay the 2.67% on the remaining amount monthly.
This is what many workers do in Malaysia. They simply pay 2.67% of their salary as Zakat!. Although, Zakat is Tax exempted in Malaysia and they get tax rebate on it.
That is absolute NOT Zakat in Islam!
There is no such thing as monthly Zakat.
Money Zakat is basically 3 conditions:
1. The money must reach Nisaab which is minimum amount Zakatable (about N1.1m). Zakat is not like Christian tithe where you pay fixed amount monthly.
2. The money must be with you for over a year if I have N1m in my account for ten years I will not pay a dime! So also if I kept N1m in my account for 11months and added 100k in the last month to make it reach Nisaab still I will not pay Zakat, at least not until next year.
Also If I keep N10m in my account for 11 months and use N9m to by a car on the 11th month still I will not pay zakat, because the money did not satisfy the two conditions above.
3. Is the people qualified to accept zakat.

4 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by EazyMoh(m): 4:30pm On Jul 01, 2016
RingimKabir:

I saved 50K from my salary every month. Does that means if it reach Nisab I will pay zakat or I have to earn as much as Nisab monthly before I can pay zakat?
bibiking7:

I must confess that Zakat always confuses me and right now, i am confused. Is it that if the Nisab level for paying zakat is 1.1 million saved. And i have only been able to save 900 thousand, then i am not oblidged to pay. Plus, what if the savings of 2 million is a joint contribution of Husband and wife.
RingimKabir:

Follow me:
If you are saving 50k monthly, you will NOT pay zakat until the money accumulates and reaches the Nisaab, (about N1.1m). That's in 22months time. Then you start timing from then for another 1year, the money will increase by 50kX12months that's 600k. So now to remove the zakat you look at the money you have saved that's N1.1m+600k that's N1.7m and remove 2.5% (N42,500 That's your Zakat for that year) and that's what you are going to pay if you where to start saving 50k from this month, and it's gonna be due in the next 34months.
If you need anymore explanation ask me.
Iftar Mubarak

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by RingimKabir(m): 4:54pm On Jul 01, 2016
EazyMoh:

Follow me:
If you are saving 50k monthly, you will NOT pay zakat until the money accumulates and reaches the Nisaab, (about N1.1m). That's in 22months time. Then you start timing from then for another 1year, the money will increase by 50kX12months that's 600k. So now to remove the zakat you look at the money you have saved that's N1.1m+600k that's N1.7m and remove 2.5% (N42,500 That's your Zakat for that year) and that's what you are going to pay if you where to start saving 50k from this month, and it's gonna be due in the next 34months.
Iftar Mubarak

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by yjgm(m): 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2016
Believe you and me, this is confusing.

1 Like

Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by jumzzy448: 11:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
EazyMoh:

Follow me:
Iftar Mubarak
Jazakunllahu Khairan
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by Walexz02(m): 11:49pm On Jul 01, 2016
Jazakaallah khair op
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by EazyMoh(m): 11:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
jumzzy448:
Jazakunllahu Khairan
Ameen wa iyyakum.
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by sheumb: 7:59pm On May 12, 2018
Is There Any Zakat Taken From One’s Monthly Salary in Islam?

Question:

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

Assalamu Alaikum Warohmatulloohi wabarokatuh…

All praises be to Allah, peace and prayer of Allah be upon His messenger..

Dear ustadz, may Allah always preserve you…

This morning I was asked about the ruling of Zakat from one’s profession (zakat taken from one’s monthly or other periodic salary, -translator) :

Is the method or analogy of the scholars that allow the establishment of zakat from one’s monthly salary is valid indication to be applied? The company where I currently work has imposed this policy for quite a long time, by taking some amount from the monthly salary of the employees based on an agreement beforehand, where some people agreed to it and some people didn’t.

Next, is there any good book that explain about this kind of zakat?

– Hasan

Answer:

[1]. Zakat that is compulsory for the rich have been explained clearly in some indications. And zakat is a matter of worship, where there are no chance for anyone to decide by himself or to create innovation without indication that support it. The scholars from various madzhab have stated that:

الأَصْلُ فِي العِبَادَاتِ التَّوقِيفُ

“The origin of law in worshipping matters is by guidance, or forbidden.”

Based on this principle, they explained that anyone who allow or perform a worshipping act, should find indication that allow the act beforehand. If not, the act is forbidden, or considered as an innovation.

مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَل لَيْسَ عَلَيهِ أَمْرُنَا فَهُوَ رَدٌّ رواه مسلم

“Whoever perform an act without our guidance, (it) is rejected.” (Narrated by Muslim)

Think about this: Zakat is one of the pillars of Islam, as the testimony (the two syahadat), prayer, fast, and pilgrimage to Mecca. Will you tolerate one who use his own opinion to make compulsory other prayer than the five compulsory prayers, or to change it’s rules: for example fajr or dawn prayer with 4 rak’ahs, maghrib prayer performed in 5 rak’ahs, or it is performed in one occasion; the testimony is embedded with other words that suits the improvement of man’s lifestyle, the pilgrimage is performed in every country to save the people’s fund and to improve their prosperity, and the Ramadan fast is divided into each month to make it lighter to perform and to make ease for the factory workers and other heavy workers.

Now, will you accept such slowpoke opinion? If you wont, you should also reject the opinion of this zakat taken from one’s monthly salary, since it is also a form of man’s opinion in worshipping and in the pillars of Islam.

Moreover, it is proven through history that the companions of the prophet and the next generations after them never acknowledged this kind of zakat, whereas they have recognized the term ‘salary’ since long ago, although it came in different names. It was previously termed as ‘al ‘atha’, and now people called it ‘salary’ or ‘raatib’ or ‘mukafaah’ (other Arabic terms for salary- translator). The difference in names certainly do not change it’s law.

Besides, analyzing this opinion further, we would find some awkward points and manipulation. Here are several examples of that awkwardness and manipulation:

The claimer of zakat from profession equalled it to zakat of the harvest (agriculture field), by neglecting the difference between the two form of zakat. Zakat taken from the harvest of agricultural work is 1/10 from the harvest with free irrigation, and 1/20 from it with paid irrigation. As for the zakat from one’s monthly salary, it is 2.5%, thus making it a weird and false analogy. The correct analogy will be by establishing the standard of 1/10 for the profession performed without any need for capital, and 1/20 for one with capital. Such establishment will surely burden all people and of course the claimer will not be brave enough to issue amount for zakat taken from one’s monthly salary.

Salary from one’s job/profession comes in the form of money, thus it is more appropriate to be equalled to zakat of gold and silver, since the commodities serve as trading tool, and standard for goods’ value.

The claimer of this zakat have evidently transgressed the scholars’ agreement hold for 14 centuries, by issuing fatwa of the obligation to pay zakat of the house, land, and the like.

Salary is not a new thing for men and muslim in particular, and it has been established since long ago. Below are the proofs if this statement:

Umar Ibn Al Khattab -may Allah be pleased with him- once performed a task ordered by the Messenger of Allah -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him-, and he gave him his wage. Umar refused it at first, but the messenger of Allah peace and prayer of Allah be upon him said yo him: “If you are given something without asking for it, eat (take) it and spend it in charity.” (Narrated by Muslim).

After being sworn as a caliph, Abu Bakr -may Allah be pleased with him- went to the market to trade as he used to do, and he met Umar Ibn Al Khatthab -may Allah be pleased with him-, Umar asked him: “Where are you going?”.Abu Bakr said, “The market.” Umar asked him again, “Although you already have the jobs that makes you busy.”. Abu Bakr said, “Allah is The Holy One, this job (being caliph) will make me busy from supporting my family?” Umar replied, “We will give you proportionally.”

Bukhari also narrated a testimony of Abu Bakr -may Allah be pleased with him- about this:

لقد عَلِمَ قَوْمِي أَنَّ حِرْفَتِي لم تَكُنْ تَعْجِزُ عن مؤونة أَهْلِي وَشُغِلْتُ بِأَمْرِ الْمُسْلِمِينَ فَسَيَأْكُلُ آلُ أبي بَكْرٍ من هذا الْمَالِ وَيَحْتَرِفُ لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ فيه.

“Indeed, my people have understood that my work will not support my family needs, whereas now the affairs of muslims make me busy, Thus the family of Abu Bakr will now consume a past of this wealth (wealth from bait al maal.), while he works to regulate their affairs.” (Narrated by Bukhari).

It proves that the term wage or salary has long been known by the muslim, not a new phenomena, and for 14 centuries none of the scholars ever issued a fatwa about zakat taken from one’s salary or wage. It shows that this kind of zakat is not a valid one, but what exists is the zakat taken from certain kinds of wealth, that must fulfill two requirements of nisab and a year of possession.

Thus, the scholars who are also experts in ijtihaad (opinion) in our century have refused this opinion; such as Sheikh Ibn Baz, who said that: “Zakat taken from the wage which form is money, need to detailed: If the wage is received and a year has passed, and it’s amount is already equals to nisab, the zakat for such wage is compulsory. But if that wage less than nisab, or it hasn’t reach a year yet, or it has been spent before, there are no zakat obligation in it.” (Maqalaat Al Mutanawwi’ah by Syeikh Abdul Aziz bin Baaz 14/134. Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Shaleh Al Uthaymeen also justified the similar opinion in his work Majmu’ Fatawa wa Ar Rasaa’il 18/178)

The Permanent Members of Fatwa Committee of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia also have issued a similar fatwa regarding this matter, as we cited below:

“As commonly known that among the properties that have zakat obligation in it, are gold and silver (currency). And among the compulsory requirements of zakat taken from gold and silver (money) is a year should have passed since the possession of that money. Regarding that fact, then zakat that is being compulsory for the salary of the employees that being saved and equals to nisab, whether the salary itself equals to nisab, or after being added with money from another source, and it’s possession has passed one year time. It is not right to make equalization between the salary and the harvest, because the requirement of one year possession has been established in valid indication, thus there should be no analogy in it. Based on that considerations, zakat is not compulsory for the salary of the employees until it passed a year of possession.” (Majmu’ Fatwa of The Permanent Members of Fatwa Committee, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 9/281, fatwa no: 1360)

To end this short article, I’d like to remind all readers to always bear in their mind a promise by the messenger of Allah -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him- below:

مَا نَقَصَتْ صَدَقَةٌ مِنْ مَالٍ. رواه مسلم

“Charity will not diminish the wealth.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Based on the explanations above, I suggest you to tell your company or your boss to eliminate this salary cutting, that is due to the reason of zakat from profession. Because among those whose salaries have been cut for these years, there might be people whose salary is not yet eligible for zakat obligation, since their savings haven’t reach the nisab yet, or haven’t pass the one year possession criterion yet, being spent in their lawful needs, or if the nisab and one year possession have been fulfilled, the amount of zakat should be paid is smaller than the amount taken. And Allah know best.

[2]. Based on the first answer, I don’t think you need to find books or literatures about this kind of zakat. It is enough for you and other muslims to pay the well known zakat that have been agreed by all of our scholars from time to time, and have been discussed in all jurisprudence books. And Allah knows best.

Ustadz Dr. Muhammad Arifin Badri, M.A.
Article of www.syaria.com

Description: how to calculate zakat on salary, zakat on salary, zakat on salary and income, zakat for salary earners, zakat on income
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by Alhajiemeritus: 8:19pm On May 29, 2018
According to some scholars, you don't pay zakat on salary. You pay zakat from profits.
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by lovely22: 11:30am On Jun 01, 2018
pls if someone saved enough for zakat last year (nisba) and he suppose to pay it this year and
each month he adds to his account
he is supposed to pay 2.5% of last year's amount or 2.5% of this year's Amount?
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by EazyMoh(m): 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2018
lovely22:
pls if someone saved enough for zakat last year (nisba) and he suppose to pay it this year and
each month he adds to his account
he is supposed to pay 2.5% of last year's amount or 2.5% of this year's Amount?
He's supposed to pay from last year's amount, because this year's amount hasn't matured yet until next year.
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by EazyMoh(m): 1:48pm On Jun 21, 2018
Alhajiemeritus:
According to some scholars, you don't pay zakat on salary.
You pay zakat from profits.
That is actually technically not correct interpretation.
If a salary is (1) up to nisab amount and (2) is kept for a whole then definitely it's liable for zakat.
On the hand if profit (1) isn't up to nisab OR (2) isn't kept up to a year, then the profit isn't liable for zakat.
Basically any wealth will have to satisfy these two conditions BOTH to be eligible for zakat.
Allahu a'alam
Re: How To Pay Zakah On A Salary by EazyMoh(m): 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2018
sheumb:
Is There Any Zakat Taken From One’s Monthly Salary in Islam?

Question:

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, The Most Merciful.

Assalamu Alaikum Warohmatulloohi wabarokatuh…

All praises be to Allah, peace and prayer of Allah be upon His messenger..

Dear ustadz, may Allah always preserve you…

This morning I was asked about the ruling of Zakat from one’s profession (zakat taken from one’s monthly or other periodic salary, -translator) :

Is the method or analogy of the scholars that allow the establishment of zakat from one’s monthly salary is valid indication to be applied? The company where I currently work has imposed this policy for quite a long time, by taking some amount from the monthly salary of the employees based on an agreement beforehand, where some people agreed to it and some people didn’t.

Next, is there any good book that explain about this kind of zakat?

– Hasan

Answer:

[1]. Zakat that is compulsory for the rich have been explained clearly in some indications. And zakat is a matter of worship, where there are no chance for anyone to decide by himself or to create innovation without indication that support it. The scholars from various madzhab have stated that:

الأَصْلُ فِي العِبَادَاتِ التَّوقِيفُ

“The origin of law in worshipping matters is by guidance, or forbidden.”

Based on this principle, they explained that anyone who allow or perform a worshipping act, should find indication that allow the act beforehand. If not, the act is forbidden, or considered as an innovation.

مَنْ عَمِلَ عَمَل لَيْسَ عَلَيهِ أَمْرُنَا فَهُوَ رَدٌّ رواه مسلم

“Whoever perform an act without our guidance, (it) is rejected.” (Narrated by Muslim)

Think about this: Zakat is one of the pillars of Islam, as the testimony (the two syahadat), prayer, fast, and pilgrimage to Mecca. Will you tolerate one who use his own opinion to make compulsory other prayer than the five compulsory prayers, or to change it’s rules: for example fajr or dawn prayer with 4 rak’ahs, maghrib prayer performed in 5 rak’ahs, or it is performed in one occasion; the testimony is embedded with other words that suits the improvement of man’s lifestyle, the pilgrimage is performed in every country to save the people’s fund and to improve their prosperity, and the Ramadan fast is divided into each month to make it lighter to perform and to make ease for the factory workers and other heavy workers.

Now, will you accept such slowpoke opinion? If you wont, you should also reject the opinion of this zakat taken from one’s monthly salary, since it is also a form of man’s opinion in worshipping and in the pillars of Islam.

Moreover, it is proven through history that the companions of the prophet and the next generations after them never acknowledged this kind of zakat, whereas they have recognized the term ‘salary’ since long ago, although it came in different names. It was previously termed as ‘al ‘atha’, and now people called it ‘salary’ or ‘raatib’ or ‘mukafaah’ (other Arabic terms for salary- translator). The difference in names certainly do not change it’s law.

Besides, analyzing this opinion further, we would find some awkward points and manipulation. Here are several examples of that awkwardness and manipulation:

The claimer of zakat from profession equalled it to zakat of the harvest (agriculture field), by neglecting the difference between the two form of zakat. Zakat taken from the harvest of agricultural work is 1/10 from the harvest with free irrigation, and 1/20 from it with paid irrigation. As for the zakat from one’s monthly salary, it is 2.5%, thus making it a weird and false analogy. The correct analogy will be by establishing the standard of 1/10 for the profession performed without any need for capital, and 1/20 for one with capital. Such establishment will surely burden all people and of course the claimer will not be brave enough to issue amount for zakat taken from one’s monthly salary.

Salary from one’s job/profession comes in the form of money, thus it is more appropriate to be equalled to zakat of gold and silver, since the commodities serve as trading tool, and standard for goods’ value.

The claimer of this zakat have evidently transgressed the scholars’ agreement hold for 14 centuries, by issuing fatwa of the obligation to pay zakat of the house, land, and the like.

Salary is not a new thing for men and muslim in particular, and it has been established since long ago. Below are the proofs if this statement:

Umar Ibn Al Khattab -may Allah be pleased with him- once performed a task ordered by the Messenger of Allah -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him-, and he gave him his wage. Umar refused it at first, but the messenger of Allah peace and prayer of Allah be upon him said yo him: “If you are given something without asking for it, eat (take) it and spend it in charity.” (Narrated by Muslim).

After being sworn as a caliph, Abu Bakr -may Allah be pleased with him- went to the market to trade as he used to do, and he met Umar Ibn Al Khatthab -may Allah be pleased with him-, Umar asked him: “Where are you going?”.Abu Bakr said, “The market.” Umar asked him again, “Although you already have the jobs that makes you busy.”. Abu Bakr said, “Allah is The Holy One, this job (being caliph) will make me busy from supporting my family?” Umar replied, “We will give you proportionally.”

Bukhari also narrated a testimony of Abu Bakr -may Allah be pleased with him- about this:

لقد عَلِمَ قَوْمِي أَنَّ حِرْفَتِي لم تَكُنْ تَعْجِزُ عن مؤونة أَهْلِي وَشُغِلْتُ بِأَمْرِ الْمُسْلِمِينَ فَسَيَأْكُلُ آلُ أبي بَكْرٍ من هذا الْمَالِ وَيَحْتَرِفُ لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ فيه.

“Indeed, my people have understood that my work will not support my family needs, whereas now the affairs of muslims make me busy, Thus the family of Abu Bakr will now consume a past of this wealth (wealth from bait al maal.), while he works to regulate their affairs.” (Narrated by Bukhari).

It proves that the term wage or salary has long been known by the muslim, not a new phenomena, and for 14 centuries none of the scholars ever issued a fatwa about zakat taken from one’s salary or wage. It shows that this kind of zakat is not a valid one, but what exists is the zakat taken from certain kinds of wealth, that must fulfill two requirements of nisab and a year of possession.

Thus, the scholars who are also experts in ijtihaad (opinion) in our century have refused this opinion; such as Sheikh Ibn Baz, who said that: “Zakat taken from the wage which form is money, need to detailed: If the wage is received and a year has passed, and it’s amount is already equals to nisab, the zakat for such wage is compulsory. But if that wage less than nisab, or it hasn’t reach a year yet, or it has been spent before, there are no zakat obligation in it.” (Maqalaat Al Mutanawwi’ah by Syeikh Abdul Aziz bin Baaz 14/134. Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Shaleh Al Uthaymeen also justified the similar opinion in his work Majmu’ Fatawa wa Ar Rasaa’il 18/178)

The Permanent Members of Fatwa Committee of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia also have issued a similar fatwa regarding this matter, as we cited below:

“As commonly known that among the properties that have zakat obligation in it, are gold and silver (currency). And among the compulsory requirements of zakat taken from gold and silver (money) is a year should have passed since the possession of that money. Regarding that fact, then zakat that is being compulsory for the salary of the employees that being saved and equals to nisab, whether the salary itself equals to nisab, or after being added with money from another source, and it’s possession has passed one year time. It is not right to make equalization between the salary and the harvest, because the requirement of one year possession has been established in valid indication, thus there should be no analogy in it. Based on that considerations, zakat is not compulsory for the salary of the employees until it passed a year of possession.” (Majmu’ Fatwa of The Permanent Members of Fatwa Committee, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 9/281, fatwa no: 1360)

To end this short article, I’d like to remind all readers to always bear in their mind a promise by the messenger of Allah -peace and prayer of Allah be upon him- below:

مَا نَقَصَتْ صَدَقَةٌ مِنْ مَالٍ. رواه مسلم

“Charity will not diminish the wealth.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Based on the explanations above, I suggest you to tell your company or your boss to eliminate this salary cutting, that is due to the reason of zakat from profession. Because among those whose salaries have been cut for these years, there might be people whose salary is not yet eligible for zakat obligation, since their savings haven’t reach the nisab yet, or haven’t pass the one year possession criterion yet, being spent in their lawful needs, or if the nisab and one year possession have been fulfilled, the amount of zakat should be paid is smaller than the amount taken. And Allah know best.

[2]. Based on the first answer, I don’t think you need to find books or literatures about this kind of zakat. It is enough for you and other muslims to pay the well known zakat that have been agreed by all of our scholars from time to time, and have been discussed in all jurisprudence books. And Allah knows best.

Ustadz Dr. Muhammad Arifin Badri, M.A.
Article of www.syaria.com

Description: how to calculate zakat on salary, zakat on salary, zakat on salary and income, zakat for salary earners, zakat on income

Thanks, but why do you have to write this long. The bold is the main thing relevant to this thread.

(1) (Reply)

When Will Ramadan 1442AH Start? / Barka De Salah / 10 Things You Should Not Do This Friday If You Are A Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.