Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

The Best Sponge Cake Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Best Sponge Cake Recipe (11887 Views)

The Best Coconut Sponge Cake Recipe / How To Bake Perfect Yummy Sponge Cake Without Oven / The Best Sponge Cake Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 9:54pm On Jun 28, 2016
Recipe

500g flour
250g butter
8 eggs
700g sugar
1Tbsp vanilla extract
1Tsp salt
1 Tsp baking powder
500ml whole milk

2 Likes

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by nifdem: 10:17am On Jun 29, 2016
Thanks for sharing...will d cake come out so fluffy cos am use to the one of same measurement like flour 500g, butter 500g n egg...500g...and pls d procedure. thanks once more

1 Like

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 11:41am On Jun 29, 2016
Check out the video for the instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGQc3l119U
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Rubyventures: 11:44am On Jun 29, 2016
This is very good and straight forward on point.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 11:47am On Jun 29, 2016
Rubyventures:
This is very good and straight forward on point.

Thanks, I don't know what is wrong with this moderator he/she took out my video for no reason.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Rubyventures: 12:00pm On Jun 29, 2016
marylandcakes:

Thanks, I don't know what is wrong with this moderately, he/she took out my video for no reason.

I think I might know why, your thread seems to have multiplied.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 2:02pm On Jun 29, 2016
nifdem:
Thanks for sharing...will d cake come out so fluffy cos am use to the one of same measurement like flour 500g, butter 500g n egg...500g...and pls d procedure. thanks once more

You are welcome, Yes it will come out very fluffy as long as you follow the procedures as shown.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 10:50pm On Jun 29, 2016
Start by breaking the eggs into your mixer,
Add the sugar gradually and continue to mix for about ten minutes
Add the vanilla extract
Continue for mix until the mixture becomes creamy and velvety
Turn off mixer and fold in flour

1 Like

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by nifdem: 11:23pm On Jun 29, 2016
Aiit ma..thanks for ur time
marylandcakes:

You are welcome, Yes it will come out very fluffy as long as you follow the procedures as shown.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Rubyventures: 10:10am On Jun 30, 2016
What about the milk and butter?
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 6:39pm On Jun 30, 2016
Once you've finished folding in the flour. You add the butter to the milk and heat up in the microwave.
Gradually add this to the mixture as shown in my video (this stage is very important)
Once all of the ingredients have been added share the mixture between two 8"pans and place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 30 minutes.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by nifdem: 10:29pm On Jun 30, 2016
can I heat up d butter milk on a gas stove if microwave is nt available. Thanks
quote author=marylandcakes post=47078838]Once you've finished folding in the flour. You add the butter to the milk and heat up in the microwave.
Gradually add this to the mixture as shown in my video (this stage is very important)
Once all of the ingredients have been added share the mixture between two 8"pans and place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 30 minutes.[/quote]
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 10:25pm On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=nifdem post=47084891]can I heat up d butter milk on a gas stove if microwave is nt available. Thanks

Yes you can. You can use a pan on a any kind of stove, it doesn't matter as long as it can heat it up.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by nifdem: 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2016
Aiit..thanks ma
[quote author=marylandcakes post=47117763][/quote]
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 7:50pm On Jul 02, 2016
nifdem:
Aiit..thanks ma

You are most welcome.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by dubsy91(f): 6:22am On Jul 03, 2016
please i'm new in baking,i want to know the qty of alcohol to add to my cake to make it last for a week,d last time i baked it spoil after two days even though i stored it in the fridge before icing with fondant....pls som1 ans

1 Like

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 1:54pm On Jul 03, 2016
dubsy91:
please i'm new in baking,i want to know the qty of alcohol to add to my cake to make it last for a week,d last time i baked it spoil after two days even though i stored it in the fridge before icing with fondant....pls som1 ans

Firstly I need to know what kind of cake you are trying to bake.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by dubsy91(f): 8:37pm On Jul 04, 2016
just d regular naija birthday cake
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 6:26am On Jul 05, 2016
dubsy91:

And what is that? Is it fruit cake? because that's the only cake I know you can bake ahead of time and preserve with alcohol. Other cakes like sponge cake you can bake ahead and freeze them. You can't pour alcohol in a cake meant for kids.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Rubyventures: 9:26am On Jul 05, 2016
dubsy91:

A lot of Nigerian cakes don't taste fresh because of this method you stated. It will be much better for you to time and plan the baking of your cake as nearer the time it is needed, so that the cake is still very fresh. There are very few cakes you can preserve with alcohol.

1 Like

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by dubsy91(f): 5:10pm On Jul 05, 2016
Rubyventures:

A lot of Nigerian cakes don't taste fresh because of this method you stated. It will be much better for you to time and plan the baking of your cake as nearer the time it is needed, so that the cake is still very fresh. There are very few cakes you can preserve with alcohol.

kk...tanx
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by dubsy91(f): 5:11pm On Jul 05, 2016
marylandcakes:

And what is that? Is it fruit cake? because that's the only cake I know you can bake ahead of time and preserve with alcohol. Other cakes like sponge cake you can bake ahead and freeze them. You can't pour alcohol in a cake meant for kids.

noted...tanx
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Rubyventures: 9:13am On Jul 06, 2016
dubsy91:

kk...tanx

You are most welcome
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 4:18am On Jul 11, 2016
dubsy91:

noted...tanx

You are welcome. Please try and let me know the outcome.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Rubyventures: 9:27am On Jul 12, 2016
I actually tried this your recipe with a twist, I added soya milk and it turned out fine grin
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 9:41pm On Jul 13, 2016
Rubyventures:
I actually tried this your recipe with a twist, I added soya milk and it turned out fine grin

Very good grin grin
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by Hypraise(f): 11:18am On Jul 14, 2016
Thanks for the recipe. If the sugar quantity is reduced by half, will cake still come out fine? Also the baking powder looks small to me. I usually use 1.5/2tsp per 250g flour. Please those who tried this recipe, how far?

1 Like

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 6:55am On Jul 15, 2016
Hypraise:
Thanks for the recipe. If the sugar quantity is reduced by half, will cake still come out fine? Also the baking powder looks small to me. I usually use 1.5/2tsp per 250g flour. Please those who tried this recipe, how far?

You are welcome. You have got to follow this recipe to the last detail in terms of measurements if you want it to turn out fine. Regarding the baking powder, please don't forget that this is self raising flour so 1 teaspoon is not too small.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by chimbusonma: 10:53am On Dec 04, 2017
pls how do u prepare your self raising flour.
marylandcakes:

You are welcome. You have got to follow this recipe to the last detail in terms of measurements if you want it to turn out fine. Regarding the baking powder, please don't forget that this is self raising flour so 1 teaspoon is not too small.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by marylandcakes: 3:34am On Dec 05, 2017
chimbusonma:
pls how do u prepare your self raising flour.

You can either buy readymade one or you add baking power. To every 150g of plain flour add 1 teaspoon of baking powder.You can also add a tablespoon of cornstarch to every 500g of plain flour . This helps the cake flour to be lighter and you have your self raising flour.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by TWoods(m): 10:06pm On Dec 10, 2017
I followed the video from beginning to the end, then realised just as i was about to put the baking tins in the oven that it did not mention the addition of baking powder! undecided

I added baking powder to the batter just before putting in the oven. Fingers crossed.

So adding the baking powder at the end did work. The cake has risen and so far so good. However, it takes more than 30 minutes to bake! I'm doing about an hour right now.
Re: The Best Sponge Cake Recipe by CassieV(f): 10:54pm On Dec 10, 2017
TWoods:
I followed the video from beginning to the end, then realised just as i was about to put the baking tins in the oven that it did not mention the addition of baking powder! undecided

I added baking powder to the batter just before putting in the oven. Fingers crossed.

So adding the baking powder at the end did work. The cake has risen and so far so good. However, it takes more than 30 minutes to bake! I'm doing about an hour right now.
Nice.. I was just about to ask how it turned out. Enjoy!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Prepare Fried Rice And Igbo Palm Fruit Stew / Peak Milk New TV Commercials / Current Price Of Bag Of Rice, Beans And Foodstuff In Nigeria. Month Of June

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.