Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? (30922 Views)

Fow World : List Of Countries In Africa And Their Capitals / Checkout NYSC 'allowee' For Different States In Nigeria.. Some States Funny / JAMB 2016: Imo, Osun And Oyo States Have The Highest Number Of Applicants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Evidence1000(m): 3:48am On Jun 29, 2016
I heard my neighbor's daughter reciting states and capital and when she got to Gombe, I began wondering why it has the same name as it's capital. Even Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto... All northern states. Why is it so? I've tried google but it hasn't been my friend in this situation. So, anyone in the house ??

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by phrancys001(m): 4:21am On Jun 29, 2016
Enugu-[b][/b]Enugu

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by phrancys001(m): 4:22am On Jun 29, 2016
Enugu-Enugu

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Lordskyes(m): 4:28am On Jun 29, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by pussyeater(m): 5:22am On Jun 29, 2016
youngest85:
what else do u expect 4rm a goro chewing dullards' region?
Enugu comes before Gombe mumu... BTW... He's older than your father! I hope you know that? undecided

111 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by utenwuson: 5:24am On Jun 29, 2016
u should 1st answer why other states that have different name for state n capital name it that way!
perhaps u might just answer ur self. u couldn't hear when she pronounced Enugu but u jumped to Gombe

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by checkolatunji: 5:30am On Jun 29, 2016
youngest85:

Enugu-Enugu grin

32 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by donbenedict(m): 5:52am On Jun 29, 2016
Because the state adopted the name of the capital. cool

Note that places existed before a name for that state is coined out.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by isaacputi(m): 5:56am On Jun 29, 2016
youngest85:

You see your life...you and HATE are like bread and butter, so you don't know ENUGU-ENUGU?
LATER U WILL BE SAYING EVERYBODY HATES THE IBOS, CHECK YOURSELF.

115 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Skillfullulu(m): 6:53am On Jun 29, 2016
Its either he is a dullard or he never went to school. calling someone a dullard.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Evidence1000(m): 7:03am On Jun 29, 2016
utenwuson:
u should 1st answer why other states that have different name for state n capital name it that way!
perhaps u might just answer ur self. u couldn't hear when she pronounced Enugu but u jumped to Gombe

It's not what you think. I did not create this thread to breed ethnic war. I'm sorry I skipped Enugu. Looking at the Nigerian map, you'll realise that it's mostly northern states.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nbote(m): 7:30am On Jun 29, 2016
Dis thread simply highlights the major problem dis country is facing.. Ethnic sentiments. I haven't seen anywhere d OP raised any controversial issue apart from skipping Enugu consciously or not.. Majority of posters jus quickly realised d OP didn't remember to include Enugu while still ignoring d actual question. He jus asked an innocent question but d deep lying sentiments in some of us couldn't jus stay in. D sooner we look beyond ethnic connotations to every little speech, opinion or action, d beta for us and d country at large.

106 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by psychologist(m): 7:57am On Jun 29, 2016
Chai Nigerian be like

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by AnusOdourInhaler: 9:35am On Jun 29, 2016
Nbote:
Dis thread simply highlights the major problem dis country is facing.. Ethnic sentiments. I haven't seen anywhere d OP raised any controversial issue apart from skipping Enugu consciously or not.. Majority of posters jus quickly realised d OP didn't remember to include Enugu while still ignoring d actual question. He jus asked an innocent question but d deep lying sentiments in some of us couldn't jus stay in. D sooner we look beyond ethnic connotations to every little speech, opinion or action, d beta for us and d country at large.
If you observed well, you'll noticed that the first person to bring any sentiment is from the same region with the OP. The Poster Foolest85 wrote "what else do u expect 4rm a goro chewing dullards' region?" so who is to be blamed for ethnic sentiment?
The North existed as Arewa before the amalgamation, so the North had fully functional government that is partitioned in major cities and towns, Sokoto is the center, that's it, all other Emirates reports to the sultan, so, naturally, when Nigeria was formed and states were being created, the name of those major cities was used to named the area and towns were the new states were carved out.. In the case of Kano - Kano, the Kano as in the state capital is called Kano municipal, because many Local governments are now merged in to the capital.. Thanks

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Mario1989(m): 9:44am On Jun 29, 2016
Why do some children bear the same name with their father? JUNIOR is a sweet name u know!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nbote(m): 9:54am On Jun 29, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:

If you observed well, you'll noticed that the first person to bring any sentiment is from the same region with the OP. The Poster Foolest85 wrote "what else do u expect 4rm a goro chewing dullards' region?" so who is to be blamed for ethnic sentiment?
The North existed as Arewa before the amalgamation, so the North had fully functional government that is partitioned in major cities and towns, Sokoto is the center, that's it, all other Emirates reports to the sultan, so, naturally, when Nigeria was formed and states were being created, the name of those major cities was used to named the area and towns were the new states were carved out.. In the case of Kano - Kano, the Kano as in the state capital is called Kano municipal, because many Local governments are now merged in to the capital.. Thanks

Atleast u attempted a reasonable explanation for the OP's question. My comment was all inclusive of those pointing out his omission of Enugu instead of providing an ansa and also d one pesin who also brazenly displayed his own hatred. D OP didn't indicate he was from any particular region so I wonder how u were able to deduce d poster with d degrading comment was from d same place. Anyways thanks, atleast ur post was enlightening..

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by youngest85(m): 10:09am On Jun 29, 2016
isaacputi:

You see your life...you and HATE are like bread and butter, so you don't know ENUGU-ENUGU?
LATER U WILL BE SAYING EVERYBODY HATES THE IBOS, CHECK YOURSELF.

#saynototribalism#

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by OmichaelO: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2016
Even If The OP Omitted Enugu, I Don't See Any Reason For Tribal Sentiments Here. And Somepeople Here Were Dull Enough Just Jump Into Conclusion,without Even Answering The Question First Or Say Something Meaningful. That Person Refering To Someone As A Dullard, Is Actually A Brain Dead Person For Trying To Turn This "supposed" Educative Thread To One Of Tribal Sentiment.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by matt245(m): 11:47am On Jun 29, 2016
yea...why??

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by macphilip: 11:47am On Jun 29, 2016
why do some people have the same first name and surname
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Ekejoestar(m): 11:47am On Jun 29, 2016
Na Burahi cause am

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by christaddicted: 11:49am On Jun 29, 2016
This topic sef..

Just check my signature..
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by dammytosh: 11:49am On Jun 29, 2016
"It is because of marginalization from the Tyrant called Buhari"

PDP Wailers,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Chrisrare: 11:49am On Jun 29, 2016
And i'm supposed to know because??
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by bosschinalu(m): 11:49am On Jun 29, 2016
OmichaelO:
Even If The OP Omitted Enugu, I Don't See Any Reason For Tribal Sentiments Here. And Somepeople Here Were Dull Enough Just Jump Into Conclusion,without Even Answering The Question First Or Say Something Meaningful. That Person Refering To Someone As A Dullard, Is Actually A Brain Dead Person For Trying To Turn This "supposed" Educative Thread To One Of Tribal Sentiment.
psychologist:
Chai Nigerian be like
Nbote:

is Albright.... lol
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Spells(m): 11:50am On Jun 29, 2016
If u ask me, na who I go ask? Very soon una go ask y water wet....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by darocha1: 11:51am On Jun 29, 2016
lol
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by babyfaceafrica: 11:51am On Jun 29, 2016
OP is a bigot
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Lescalier: 11:52am On Jun 29, 2016
Nbote:

You are the true son / daughter of ur father.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 29, 2016
pussyeater:

He's older that your father! I hope you know that? undecided
Age does not render people immune to dullardism grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by ginajet(f): 11:53am On Jun 29, 2016
Good question grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant / I Am Now Depending On Friends For Food And Shelter -nigerian Man Studying Abroad / Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.