Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,157 members, 7,780,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:53 AM

Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? (30852 Views)

Fow World : List Of Countries In Africa And Their Capitals / Checkout NYSC 'allowee' For Different States In Nigeria.. Some States Funny / JAMB 2016: Imo, Osun And Oyo States Have The Highest Number Of Applicants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by harbjar(m): 2:23pm On Jun 29, 2016
drama drama drama!!! am beginning to enjoy this nairaland...But the fact still remains that ethnicity and religious differences is drifting us apart...May God help us
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by babyfaceafrica: 2:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
Evidence1000:

Are you a northerner?
nyet!!!
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Salym(m): 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Birnin Kebbi, Bauchi and the likes have been capital of independent hausa city states for hundreds of years. Colonial masters met such cities as the capital of the emirates within the Sokoto Caliphate with thesame structure like a modern country sub divided into states. The colonial masters retained such cities as the head quarters of the different provinces. After state creation, the states adopted or rather continued using the names such locations used for centuries. The only exception in the North is Kaduna that was a regional head quarter rather than a historic city.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by chuose: 2:56pm On Jun 29, 2016
isaacputi:

This is not enough reason for the Igbos to always act as a Villain when they know this is not a nollywood script...this is reality.

Sorry are they acting as victims OR are they being abused?
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by engrjacuzzi: 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2016
whoever posted this topic should have gone back to school to ask his civil education teacher or better still, ask minister of information for an explicit answer.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by nextstep(m): 3:38pm On Jun 29, 2016
Salym:
Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Birnin Kebbi, Bauchi and the likes have been capital of independent hausa city states for hundreds of years. Colonial masters met such cities as the capital of the emirates within the Sokoto Caliphate with thesame structure like a modern country sub divided into states. The colonial masters retained such cities as the head quarters of the different provinces. After state creation, the states adopted or rather continued using the names such locations used for centuries. The only exception in the North is Kaduna that was a regional head quarter rather than a historic city.

See sense. Not sure what the story for Enugu is, but the explanation for Northern states makes so much sense.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by chawtinz(m): 3:41pm On Jun 29, 2016
pussyeater:

Enugu comes before Gombe mumu... BTW... He's older that your father! I hope you know that? undecided
Even older than his grand dad! My boi be respectful
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by isaacputi(m): 3:53pm On Jun 29, 2016
chuose:

Sorry are they acting as victims OR are they being abused?

WITH IPOB THEY ACT AS VICTIMS WHILE WITH NDA THEY ACT AS THE BAD GUYS
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by bonasera: 5:12pm On Jun 29, 2016
pussyeater:

Enugu comes before Gombe mumu... BTW... He's older that your father! I hope you know that? undecided
Somebody that went to school. Read up the post again. *sigh*
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 29, 2016
Evidence1000:
I heard my neighbor's daughter reciting states and capital and when she got to Gombe, I began wondering why it has the same name as it's capital. Even Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Sokoto... All northern states. Why is it so? I've tried google but it hasn't been my friend in this situation. So, anyone in the house ??
Mumu question. How will this help to increase our knowledge. There's no answer to this question. They just chose to name it that way. Anyway, I'll attempt an answer if you answer the following questions.
1. Why is a book called a book?
2. Why is the colour red named red?
Op over to you.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Evidence1000(m): 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
Fit2Rule:

Mumu question. How will this help to increase our knowledge. There's no answer to this question. They just chose to name it that way. Anyway, I'll attempt an answer if you answer the following questions.
1. Why is a book called a book?
2. Why is the colour red named red?
Op over to you.

From your answer, one can deduce the fact that you're mentally lazy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by BlackChyld(m): 6:04pm On Jun 29, 2016
All Northern states? undecided, Enugu Enugu. Jigawa Dutse
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by BlackChyld(m): 6:10pm On Jun 29, 2016
Salym:
Bauchi is not an Hausa state undecided
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by bongolistik(m): 6:11pm On Jun 29, 2016
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by DTALLPRINCE(m): 6:45pm On Jun 29, 2016
Nbote:
Dis thread simply highlights the major problem dis country is facing.. Ethnic sentiments. I haven't seen anywhere d OP raised any controversial issue apart from skipping Enugu consciously or not.. Majority of posters jus quickly realised d OP didn't remember to include Enugu while still ignoring d actual question. He jus asked an innocent question but d deep lying sentiments in some of us couldn't jus stay in. D sooner we look beyond ethnic connotations to every little speech, opinion or action, d beta for us and d country at large.

Ley me hear word. Why must he junug?
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by SMARTKOSSY: 7:43pm On Jun 29, 2016
isaacputi:

Thanks for the correction
u welcome bro
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by chuose: 8:53pm On Jun 29, 2016
isaacputi:

WITH IPOB THEY ACT AS VICTIMS WHILE WITH NDA THEY ACT AS THE BAD GUYS

Una hate them bad as I have shown you, so there is no reason for them to remain in una ZOO grin
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by ohikoms(m): 9:07pm On Jun 29, 2016
Lolz.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Stormdbahdguy: 10:44pm On Jun 29, 2016
please I'm having problems with my infinix x507
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by SirDavico(m): 12:23am On Jun 30, 2016
Not only states and capital

Adamu Adamu nko? grin

Op, I don't know the answer. Sorry. cool
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by cevek11: 2:58am On Jun 30, 2016
Nbote:
Dis thread simply highlights the major problem dis country is facing.. Ethnic sentiments. I haven't seen anywhere d OP raised any controversial issue apart from skipping Enugu consciously or not.. Majority of posters jus quickly realised d OP didn't remember to include Enugu while still ignoring d actual question. He jus asked an innocent question but d deep lying sentiments in some of us couldn't jus stay in. D sooner we look beyond ethnic connotations to every little speech, opinion or action, d beta for us and d country at large.
bauchi was also not there.... na u get sentiments... remove the log in ur eye first... can someone not make a honest statement again...
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 30, 2016
Becos, d whole state is d descendant of that Capital (Region) and d are of d same family b4 expansion and migration.

Pls know ur culture. Sometimes ignore internet and go close to ur elders. I bet, u will learn a new thing of d old. ...history

Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Dunsin89(m): 3:56am On Jun 30, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:

If you observed well, you'll noticed that the first person to bring any sentiment is from the same region with the OP. The Poster Foolest85 wrote "what else do u expect 4rm a goro chewing dullards' region?" so who is to be blamed for ethnic sentiment?
The North existed as Arewa before the amalgamation, so the North had fully functional government that is partitioned in major cities and towns, Sokoto is the center, that's it, all other Emirates reports to the sultan, so, naturally, when Nigeria was formed and states were being created, the name of those major cities was used to named the area and towns were the new states were carved out.. In the case of Kano - Kano, the Kano as in the state capital is called Kano municipal, because many Local governments are now merged in to the capital.. Thanks
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Dunsin89(m): 3:57am On Jun 30, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:

If you observed well, you'll noticed that the first person to bring any sentiment is from the same region with the OP. The Poster Foolest85 wrote "what else do u expect 4rm a goro chewing dullards' region?" so who is to be blamed for ethnic sentiment?
The North existed as Arewa before the amalgamation, so the North had fully functional government that is partitioned in major cities and towns, Sokoto is the center, that's it, all other Emirates reports to the sultan, so, naturally, when Nigeria was formed and states were being created, the name of those major cities was used to named the area and towns were the new states were carved out.. In the case of Kano - Kano, the Kano as in the state capital is called Kano municipal, because many Local governments are now merged in to the capital.. Thanks
. I should have appreciated and nodded to your writeup buh your moniker pisses me off bigtime
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by AnusOdourInhaler: 4:02am On Jun 30, 2016
Dunsin89:
. I should have appreciated and nodded to your writeup buh your moniker pisses me off bigtime
Who appreciation epp?? By the way, don't judge book by it's cover
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Umamman(m): 6:43am On Jun 30, 2016
phrancys001:
Enugu-[b][/b]Enugu
may b enugu too na north
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nbote(m): 7:11am On Jun 30, 2016
cevek11:
bauchi was also not there.... na u get sentiments... remove the log in ur eye first... can someone not make a honest statement again...

U obviously have no idea or simply don't understand what's going on in here and I'll refuse d temptation to say any harsh words. I'll suggest u go thru d thread from d beginning carefully and take ur tym to understand what both posts I made was about before quickly jumping on d thread to comment.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nbote(m): 7:16am On Jun 30, 2016
Salym:

Thanks jare... Enlightening
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by Nbote(m): 7:18am On Jun 30, 2016
3Dimension:
it's not necessary attributing everything to tribal connotation or brew tribal sentiment many states share the same name with the capital Bauchi does so is Enugu. Some states are named after Landscapes like rivers (Ogun, Osun, Benue, Niger) Plateau (the Plateau) while other derive their names from various sources and criteria.

It's really baffling d responses d OP initially got regarding his question.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by ArcToyin(m): 11:24am On Jun 30, 2016
donbenedict:
Because the state adopted the name of the capital. cool

Note that places existed before a name for that state is coined out.
You are correct. The state name is adopted while the capital name is the name of one the metropolitans.
Re: Why Do Some States Have The Same Name As Their Capitals? by ArcToyin(m): 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2016
[quote author=dammytosh post=47036098]"It is because of marginalization from the Tyrant called Buhari"

PDP Wailers,[/quote
See what a person calling himself a youth is contributing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Postgraduate Past Questions And Answers PDF Free Download / Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering / FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.