Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life (2268 Views)

Mandla Mandela Converts To Islam, Marries For The 4th Time / People Fears For F1's Hamilton Safety After He Sprayed Russian President With Ch / 11 Year Old Muslim Girl Talks About Her Experience Marrying An Older Man! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by RichyBlacK(m): 11:09pm On Sep 04, 2009
[flash=480,295]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPG7vU9PQUM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[size=18pt]Teen fears for her life after converting to Christianity[/size]

* Girl’s attorney accuses parents, Ohio mosque of having ties with terrorism

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: Rifqa Bary, a 17-year-old Muslim girl in the United States, has said in a sworn affidavit that her father, 47-year-old Muhammad Bary, threatened to kill her because she has converted to Christianity, an American news channel reported.

The CNN reported that the girl ran away from her family in Columbus, capital of US state of Ohio, in July and took refuge in the central Florida home of the Rev Blake Lorenz with the Global Revolution Church in Orlando. The teenager’s parents reported her missing to Columbus police, who found her two weeks later in Florida through cell phone records.

Rifqa Bary claims her father was pressured by the Ohio-based mosque to “deal with the situation”.

“If you have this Jesus in your heart, you are dead to me and I will kill you,” she quoted her father in the court filing. Talking to the channel, Muhammad Bary said that a lot of false information has been given and they wouldn’t do her harm.

He said he knew his daughter was involved with Christian organisations.

“I have no problem with her practicing any faith,” he said, but Bary admitted he would have preferred his daughter to practice the Muslim faith first.

Rifqa was placed in foster care by an Orlando judge in August while the Florida Department of Children and Family investigated the threat allegations against the parents.

Terrorism: In the court filing, John Stemberger, attorney for Rifqa Bary and president of the Florida Family Policy Council, a Christian advocacy organisation, accused the parents’ Ohio mosque of having ties to terrorism.

The Noor Islamic Cultural Centre has denied the allegations. Stemberger said he agreed with his client that the radicals would kill her if she returns to Ohio.

Fear: Roger Weeden, the mother’s attorney in Florida, said the filing had no credible evidence but instead was meant just to inflame the community and the court. He said he believed the teen’s attorney was trying to create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation.

Stemberger said the girl was forced to wear the headscarf and asked the court to keep her in the custody of the state of Florida until she turns 18 in a year. Muhammad Bary, who is not a US citizen, said he could not believe all the false allegations and the bad image caused by the situation.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by RichyBlacK(m): 11:09pm On Sep 04, 2009
Can someone just tell me this is a joke?
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 04, 2009
A joke? lol Richyblack wake up . . . this has been going on for centuries. The only reason you heard is because she's an American citizen.

1 Like

Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by RichyBlacK(m): 12:19am On Sep 05, 2009
davidylan:

A joke? lol Richyblack wake up . . . this has been going on for centuries. The only reason you heard is because she's an American citizen.

I've heard about this before but thought it was no more in practice in most of the Islamic world. I thought only the Taliban in Afghanistan and other extremist elements scattered around Afghanistan, Somalia, etc., and barbaric governments like that of Saudi-Arabia practiced it. In secondary school, a knew a number of Muslims who converted to Christianity and their parents didn't kill them.

This cannot be happening in 2009. Where are the non-extremist Muslims to condemn this? The silence of the sane Muslims is what is making this kind of evil thrive.

We must respect the fundamental human rights of a person to choose whatever religion he/she wants to belong to.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 05, 2009
Richie you're wasting precious energy, prophet mohammad was explicit - if anyone changes his religion (from islam of course), kill him!

And you expect "sane" islamic moderates to come and say the opposite?

1 Like

Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by chic2pimp(m): 12:59am On Sep 05, 2009
I Live around muslim and can honestly say they are absolutely fine. I therefore believe cases like this are few and far between. Real muslims are definitely no this barbaric.As we all know, there is always a bad egg amongst group of people.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by RichyBlacK(m): 1:03am On Sep 05, 2009
davidylan:

Richie you're wasting precious energy, prophet mohammad was explicit - if anyone changes his religion (from islam of course), kill him!

And you expect "sane" islamic moderates to come and say the opposite?

Yes, because such a statement, in any book, makes no sense, and hence must be rejected, disobeyed, reinterpreted or ignored.

It is the silence of the sane Muslims that allows the insane Muslims give Islam a horrible reputation in some parts of the world.

The world is moving in the direction of MORE tolerance not LESS. These kind of news will only make Islam look even less tolerant.

All religions have their dark and ugly sides, however, it is ONLY Islam, among the major religions, that tolerates (by the deafening silence of the sane Muslims) the continued expression of these dark ugly sides.

Two things are certain in the foreseeable future:
1. Increased connectivity
2. Increased tolerance

Those Muslims who choose to continue living in a world of intolerance will be going against the tide of reality and will be exposed quicker as result of the increasing connectivity of this age. It is that exposure that will obliterate this kind of foolish barbarism!
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Kobojunkie: 1:21am On Sep 05, 2009
chic2pimp:

I Live around muslim and can honestly say they are absolutely fine. I therefore believe cases like this are few and far between. [b]Real muslims are definitely no this barbaric.[/b]As we all know, there is always a bad egg amongst group of people.

Isn't that a ridiculous assumption to make there? How do you know that, given the same circumstances, the muslims you claim to live next door to, would not do the same? I have myself lived among muslims in the same columbus and I have to say I am shocked that any muslim in that city would resort to the above. I mean look at that picture. Does she look like she was raised by barbarians?
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by chic2pimp(m): 2:02am On Sep 05, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Isn't that a ridiculous assumption to make there? How do you know that, given the same circumstances, the muslims you claim to live next door to, would not do the same? I have myself lived among muslims in the same columbus and I have to say I am shocked that any muslim in that city would resort to the above. I mean look at that picture. Does she look like she was raised by barbarians?
I have no factual evidence to prove that given the same circumstances,the muslims living next door would not do the same,however It is of my own belief they would not do the same. Having lived amongst this very set of people for a number of years now, a sense of trust and understanding has been developed in the community. I would be shocked  if this very issued being discussed here occured. But as we all know,humans be it muslims or christians are capable of abdominable acts.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 05, 2009
chic2pimp . . . you people make a collosal error . . . judging islam by the few who live in the west. They have no choice but to be sane, in the west the law is above religion!
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by RichyBlacK(m): 10:08am On Sep 11, 2009
This idea of using death as a form of punishment is entirely barbaric and has no place in the modern world.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by auwal87(m): 1:59am On Sep 12, 2009
I think she is possesed by the "One Eyed" Devils!

She needs a Ruqiyyah, not killing.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by RichyBlacK(m): 10:17pm On Sep 12, 2009
auwal87:

I think she is possesed by the "One Eyed" Devils!

She needs a Ruqiyyah, not killing.

@auwal87,

Who/what is a "One Eyes Devil"?
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Epiphany(m): 5:30pm On Sep 14, 2009
RichyBlacK:

This idea of using death as a form of punishment is entirely barbaric and has no place in the modern world.

Help me tell them o! I dont understand these muslims (extremists) and their laws and rules about killing those who have converted or 'insulted' islam etc. Anyone can convert from Christianity to anything or even tear the pages of the bible 100 times and use to wipe their behinds. Dozens of shows/cartoons/jokes have been used to insult christianity/Jesus and not one Christian has killed another because of it. Not one Christian will bat an eyelid in protest, talkless of issuing a fatwa or demonstrating and killing other human beings.

I think Islam should be modernized to cater for and give room to basic human rights. grin

Funny, one of my closest friends, who is almost a 'brother' is a muslim. He is the most liberal muslim i have ever known. . . I wish all muslims are like him. To show you how liberal he is, he wants to marry a christian and says he is not going to force her to convert to Islam. He says that she can continue with her Christianity
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by bawomolo(m): 2:32am On Sep 15, 2009
We'd see how liberal he is when it's time to raise the kids.
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Sep 16, 2009
bawomolo:

We'd see how liberal he is when it's time to raise the kids.

Abi ooo!!!

Epiphany:

Help me tell them o! I dont understand these muslims (extremists) and their laws and rules about killing those who have converted or 'insulted' islam etc. Anyone can convert from Christianity to anything or even tear the pages of the bible 100 times and use to wipe their behinds. Dozens of shows/cartoons/jokes have been used to insult christianity/Jesus and not one Christian has killed another because of it. Not one Christian will bat an eyelid in protest, talkless of issuing a fatwa or demonstrating and killing other human beings.

I think Islam should be modernized to cater for and give room to basic human rights. grin

Funny, one of my closest friends, who is almost a 'brother' is a muslim. He is the most liberal muslim i have ever known. . . I wish all muslims are like him. To show you how liberal he is, he wants to marry a christian and says he is not going to force her to convert to Islam. He says that she can continue with her Christianity

And you think many of those who were forced to convert after marriage, never heard that line before? Oh come on!!! I just saw the movie " Not without my Daughter" a couple of days ago. Maybe you need to see it. lol
Re: Rifqa Bary: Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity And Fears For Her Life by Epiphany(m): 10:35pm On Sep 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Abi ooo!!!

And you think many of those who were forced to convert after marriage, never heard that line before? Oh come on!!! I just saw the movie " Not without my Daughter" a couple of days ago. Maybe you need to see it. lol

grin grin

The way i see it, i choose to believe that the guy may be the one converted instead - however, i will keep my fingers crossed on behalf of the girl. I hope that she is not rudely awakened

Have just googled the movie and it sounds good. I am reading a summary of its plot!

(1) (Reply)

Osama Bin Laden’s Son Married A 9/11 Hijacker’s Daughter(photos) / See How Israel Destroyed Pantsir Air Defence In Syria Today / Coronavirus: US Government To Pay Citizens $1tn in cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.