Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,882 members, 7,802,851 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Elechi Amadi Is Dead - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Elechi Amadi Is Dead (49092 Views)

Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya / Literary Icon And Author Of 'the Concubine' Elechi Amadi, Dies At 82 / Foremost Writer Elechi Amadi Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 8:16am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

As in eh at times I wonder if it's the same igbo people I interact with and have as friends that are on nairaland. The Igbos on nairaland are obviously different from the Igbos I know in real life, I think the ones on nairaland are the spare parts dealers and the riff raffs. I have never heard an igbo person mention biafra to me and it baffles me.
It is becoming too annoying to ignore..them go just dey foam for mouth. I have nothing against seeking their freedom, Matter of fact... The country is even over ripe for a restructure.But it is this arrogance..this warped sense of superiority, Like they are demi-gods or something. Nnamdi kanu says the igbo's are the only hope of the black race. . .can you imagine that shiieet!?
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Wenebadu(f): 8:16am On Jun 30, 2016
dreamwords:

And if u are not igbo , you should stop speaking that stuff here cause that conversation is igbo
hello youngman it's too early to start acting foolishly ok?
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by PhilemonObende: 8:17am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

As in eh at times I wonder if it's the same igbo people I interact with and have as friends that are on nairaland. The Igbos on nairaland are obviously different from the Igbos I know in real life, I think the ones on nairaland are the spare parts dealers and the riff raffs. I have never heard an igbo person mention biafra to me and it baffles me.

Why should they mention Biafra to a brown roof dweller? Do you know what Biafra means?
You expect me to go to kayode my yoruba tailor and friend and start discussing Biafra with him? To what end? grin grin
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by grandstar(m): 8:18am On Jun 30, 2016
yrret:
I remembered his book, peppersoup. But why June?

okay. He will shift his death to August. grin
yrret:
I remembered his book, peppersoup. But why June?

okay. He will shift his death to August.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by PhilemonObende: 8:18am On Jun 30, 2016
Omoluabi16:
It is becoming too annoying to ignore..them go just dey foam for mouth. I have nothing against seeking their freedom, Matter of fact... The country is even over ripe for a restructure.But it is this arrogance..this warped sense of superiority, Like they are demi-gods or something. Nnamdi kanu says the igbo's are the only hope of the black race. . .can you imagine that shiieet!?

yoruba man, if you become an Oduduwan today, away from the 'annoying Igbos'. Will heavens crash down your grand father's brown roof in Oshogbo? grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 8:20am On Jun 30, 2016
dreamwords:

Just like we have ikweres that seperate themselves from other igbos , there are also ikweres thar accept that they are igbos,,
Btw i dont care because ikwere is not the only igbo group in river state,
'because ikwere is not the only igbo group in river state'

Have you even given these rivers people the chance to chart their own destiny? You cry about 1914 but you want to do it all over again on a small scale.

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by jude90(m): 8:20am On Jun 30, 2016
may his soul rest in peace
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Enahi(f): 8:21am On Jun 30, 2016
PhilemonObende:

Why should they mention Biafra to a brown roof dweller? Do you know what Biafra means?
You expect me to go to kayode my yoruba tailor and friend and start discussing Biafra with him? To what end? grin grin

I didn't want to reply you but I think I should. Stop been stupid by reffering to me as a Brown roof dweller, not like i care though but I am not Yoruba. I repeat I have friends that are Igbos right from school and close family friends, to them biafra doesn't exist!
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by PhilemonObende: 8:21am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

Very childish and daft comment any way I won't reply you anymore. U are just too dumb!

Of course you have nothing else to offer to the points I've raised, so you naturally swerve. Intellect pass intellect. grin grin
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by PhilemonObende: 8:24am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

I didn't want to reply you but I think I should. Stop been stupid by reffering to me as a Brown roof dweller, not like i care though but I am not Yoruba. I repeat I have friends that are Igbos right from school and close family friends, to them biafra doesn't exist!

My childhood best friend is yoruba. We were born in the same neighbourhood and grew up together in the East. Now you tell me, what will I gain from discussing Biafra with him? grin

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Enahi(f): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2016
Omoluabi16:
It is becoming too annoying to ignore..them go just dey foam for mouth. I have nothing against seeking their freedom, Matter of fact... The country is even over ripe for a restructure.But it is this arrogance..this warped sense of superiority, Like they are demi-gods or something. Nnamdi kanu says the igbo's are the only hope of the black race. . .can you imagine that shieet!?

Yeah they are very annoying set of people on nairaland just imagine the stupidity and ignorance they display here. I think some of them have twisted brain.

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2016
PhilemonObende:

yoruba man, if you become an Oduduwan today, away from the 'annoying Igbos'. Will heavens crash down your grand father's brown roof in Oshogbo? grin grin
yeah.brown roof,saboteur,Yoruba. What else have you got? Check my signature.. No one is afraid of separation. What you igbo's bring to the table, we dont have. What we Yoruba's bring to the table.. You don't have. I am totally indifferent.Together? Fine. Separated? Fine. No one is indispensable.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by PhilemonObende: 8:27am On Jun 30, 2016
Omoluabi16:
yeah.brown roof,saboteur,Yoruba. What else have you got? Check my signature.. No one is afraid of separation. What you igbo's bring to the table, we dont have. What we Yoruba's bring to the table.. You don't have. I am totally indifferent.Together? Fine. Separated? Fine. No one is indispensable.

Who follow yoruba mouth go lost throway. If you yoruba lots are not afraid of seperation why carry Biafra matter on your like Agbo jedi! Stop deceiving yourself and embrace your Oduduwa identity for once. Crude oil won't last forever. grin

3 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by danbrowndmf(m): 8:28am On Jun 30, 2016
Wenebadu:
dieli!!
lols. Wenebadu.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 8:36am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

Yeah they are very annoying set of people on nairaland just imagine the stupidity and ignorance they display here. I think some of them have twisted brain.
chill dear.

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 8:38am On Jun 30, 2016
PhilemonObende:

Who follow yoruba mouth go lost throway. If you yoruba lots are not afraid of seperation why carry Biafra matter on your like Agbo jedi! Stop deceiving yourself and embrace your Oduduwa identity for once. Crude oil won't last forever. grin
Crude oil? Mehn.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Glaxx(m): 8:38am On Jun 30, 2016
I remember reading the Great Ponds. What a book it was.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by omoharry(f): 8:38am On Jun 30, 2016
I love his book "the COncubine"..that was a book i read over and over again back in the 90's.i can still remember some cast names..i dont know if is the right spelling, Ihuoma,Emenike, madume and so many others names in the novel i have forgotton..one of the best Nigerian author
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:46am On Jun 30, 2016
Another great one bites the dust cry.
As a self-confessed book worm, I read his novels when I was a teen. The much celebrated The Concubine remains one of the best novels to come out of this side of Africa till date. His literally style and prowess was second to none.
RIP sir - you will always be respected and remembered by me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by onoslove(f): 8:58am On Jun 30, 2016
ClassCaptain:
This man will earn my respect forever with his book, the concubine....

The plot is one of the best av come across by a nigerian author.,,, The elegant style of writing by which he carried his readers along in the concubine is amazing,.

Damn,.., rip Elechi Amadi...
you are so right. Never got tired of reading the concubine. It has a good setting and a powerful narrative style.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by cokoduck: 8:59am On Jun 30, 2016
sarutobie:

what is "pure igbo"? the dialect spoken in ngwa land? or the one in anambra? or the one in nsukka? or the one in owerri? or the one in ohafia?? or the one spoken in ikwerre? do you even know the difference between dialect and language?? can an anambra man fully understand the dialect of an abiriba man? even though they are all IGBO language?
I for example can not understand abakiliki dialect, but it is still Igbo, what these yarimgba people dont know is that Igbo is a very big language and there exists the general Igbo, the one learn at school.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Doublyu(m): 9:16am On Jun 30, 2016
Wenebadu:
rumuolumeni but i school in bayelsa
Realy? I served in Bayelsa tho.. I stay at Elekahia
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by aalangel(f): 9:18am On Jun 30, 2016
I read his novel "Sunset in Biafra" more than a hundred times. It was my meal companion.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by dreamwords: 9:25am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

I am asking you why do Igbos also bear English names, Ikwerres ain't igbo. They are proud of who they are so let them be.
I laugh at times when some of you make stupid comments on nairaland, a successful and enlightened Ikwerre man or woman doesn't know you Igbos exist they don't even talk about Biafra and you nitwits will come on nairaland to type jargons.
U sound naive and not well informed, native name is different from english name, native name is ur mother tongue which tells u ur identity

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Enahi(f): 9:28am On Jun 30, 2016
dreamwords:

U sound naive and not well informed, native name is different from english name, native name is ur mothee tongue which tells u ur identity

You haven't answered my question, it's not a must to have an English name. Have seen so many people that don't have English names, so why do Igbos have English names?
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by amicable09(f): 9:30am On Jun 30, 2016
Oh no!
Elechi Amadi Kai!
I'm so lost for words. Just the other day I was on laterna books, looking out for books by Elechi Amadi and Ayi Kwei Armah... I was just looking for something I couldn't explain but unfortunately I didn't even find it in the end.

*sigh*
Elechi Amadi, you gave us something in this part of the world. Your characters were excellent! Their names spoke volumes. You taught me literature at a very tender age.

Sleep well. You indeed lit a candle for us all, we'll walk in the light of this brightness.

Rest in Peace!
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by dreamwords: 9:30am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

You haven't answered my question, it's not a must to have an English name. Have seen so many people that don't have English names, so why do Igbos have English names?
Y do yoruba, edo and housa christians answer English names
Well it is given after baptism, and stop sounding naive
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 9:34am On Jun 30, 2016
amicable09:
Oh no!
Elechi Amadi Kai!
I'm so lost for words. Just the other day I was on laterna books, looking out for books by Elechi Amadi and Ayi Kwei Armah... I was just looking for something I couldn't explain but unfortunately I didn't even find it in the end.

*sigh*
Elechi Amadi, you gave us something in this part of the world. Your characters were excellent! Their names spoke volumes. You taught me literature at a very tender age.

Sleep well. You indeed lit a candle for us all, we'll walk in the light of this brightness.

Rest in Peace!
Aryi kweo armah. He authored 'Ours to plough not to plunder.. I rmember my days in college.Good ol' days.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Enahi(f): 9:35am On Jun 30, 2016
dreamwords:

Y do yoruba, edo and housa christians answer English names

You see how daft you are, few minutes ago you were claiming that because Ikwerres bear igbo names that automatically makes them igbo. Now you can't give me an answer why Igbos bear English names.
You are igbo so answer my question, u aren't an Englishman so why bear English name? So I have to conclude since Igbos bear English names too they are automatically from Britian or the US or perhaps Australia undecided

And fyi not all Igbos are Catholics so that part about baptismal names is totally out of it.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 30, 2016
My Igbo brothers, please leave Ikwerre people alone. We have better things to think, talk and work on than this useless Ikwerre matter. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by dreamwords: 9:45am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

You see how daft you are, few minutes ago you were claiming that because Ikwerres bear igbo names that automatically makes them igbo. Now you can't give me an answer why Igbos bear English names.
You are igbo so answer my question, u aren't an Englishman so why bear English name? So I have to conclude since Igbos bear English names too they are automatically from Britian or the US or perhaps Australia undecided

And fyi not all Igbos are Catholics so that part about baptismal names is totally out of it.

U didnt answer my question, y do edo christians answer English names, because u r from edo,
Ikwere people answer ikwere names which is their local dialect, and which also happens to be of igbo,
U r not from ikwere so wont understand it
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Omoluabi16(m): 9:52am On Jun 30, 2016
Enahi:

lol . .you're still here with these israelites? They'l do your head in.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Love and Diamonds / Onyeka Nwelue: "A Lady Asked For Sex Before She Could Give Me Loan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.