Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,171 members, 7,807,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best (5367 Views)

2 Symfony PHP Framework Developers Needed For Urgent Employment / Hello Guyz Which PHP FRAMEWORK Are You Currently Using / What PHP Cms/framework Do You Use And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by sleepingdemon: 11:52am On Jul 01, 2016
we hope to get api so we can create chrome plugins and Firefox plugins to extend the functionality.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 01, 2016
sleepingdemon:
we hope to get api so we can create chrome plugins and Firefox plugins to extend the functionality.
I dont quite understand please? API for what specifically?
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by sleepingdemon: 12:17pm On Jul 01, 2016
dhtml18:

I dont quite understand please? API for what specifically?
to authenticate users. so we wont need to go the jidez way to do it.
and probably draw user questions and thier answers.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by jidez007: 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
Official Nairaland api abi?
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 01, 2016
sleepingdemon:

to authenticate users. so we wont need to go the jidez way to do it.
and probably draw user questions and thier answers.
Okay, that is very good and innovative. I shall add that to the list.

jidez007:
Official Nairaland api abi?
Yeah
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by ekeroyal(m): 3:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
jidez007:

And who told you laravel doesn't have those?

Laravel is newer, better and more popular than CI. A peek at both projects on github shows Laravel as twice as much stars than Code igniter.
I didn't ask you either. Try reading a poster's statement, understand and comment. Did you notice OP's initial post? Did you also understand my comment?

Am not here to argue what's best or not for you, "different tools for different jobs".
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
Yeah, everyone posted right except the snake php dude (who deserved to be flogged). I do know that different tools and all that, this is just about personal experiences of people.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by jidez007: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
ekeroyal:

I didn't ask you either. Try reading a poster's statement, understand and comment. Did you notice OP's initial post? Did you also understand my comment?

Am not here to argue what's best or not for you, "different tools for different jobs".
Well think of it as adding more to what you highlighted except it's for Laravel.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by jidez007: 4:52pm On Jul 01, 2016
Infact I don't have time to start listing the advantages of Laravel over CI because it's just too much.

@dhtml it's not that hard to migrate an existing project to Laravel. You may just need to rewrite your database queries to eloquent which will be much shorter but you can equally write the normal raw sql.
You can copy all your classes to a folder and call it from your controllers, models or any other place.

The default root namespace is App, but you can change it with just 1 artisan command.

For views, it's not compulsory to use blade template, just copy all your views and you may not even need to rewrite them.

Laravel is a modern php framework, any php code / pattern is still valid with it.

There is a smaller framework Lumen, which is usually used for writing api's. It is very similar to Laravel incase you need a small footprint. You can use it without having to learn a new framework.

1 Like

Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 01, 2016
I quite understand your views jide, but you see sometimes I am more of a developer than a programmer. From what I can see, laravel will give me cleaner codes and all that and is the better option.
But codigniter seems to be the fastest way out for me at the moment. In my next major project, I shall use laravel - the issue is time (rather than elegance at the moment).
When things are relatively stable, I can still migrate to laravel after I have studied it properly. Right now, I am doing serious multi-tasking, jumping from NODE.JS project to php, to android, to wordpress - no time to seriously enter anywhere that will require a lot of learning.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by maekhel(m): 5:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
Jide nice points.

See I have decided to stop making arguments about frameworks, because some people just argue blindly.

Imagine someone saying he hates Laravel just because of the way it does routing.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by jidez007: 5:16pm On Jul 01, 2016
Boss I know you don make up your mind and I wouldn't have bothered to convince you again. Na that guy's question wey just make me combine am.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
^^^Is alright, this thread is bound to generate arguments but then it is a good argument. I for one love learning and expanding my knowlege.
Laravel is next on my list of things to master. . . . .

1 Like

Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 01, 2016
sleepingdemon:
well if you ask me, ill say go with codeigniter. reason being that its very flexible, and learning curve is as simple as just know the basis of oop. intresting people who i have enganged in why they prefer laravel to codeigniter would say because it dosent use namespaces features and so on. but then its about the only framework that works on php 5.2 till 7.0 without throwing one single error. i made a go to create a framework just like codeigniter, then used namespaces, composer's autoloader and pdo instead of default mysqli for database driver and then the same person who complained of codeigniter not using namespaces and all said the routing method isnt like laravel. so in all of this i would conclude that the battle between codeigniter and laravel is unfair and based on opinion of what other people have said on the net and not necessarily based on individual experiences.
back to your question. how about using python flask for your upgrade.

THe question is why would you use 5.2 or any other unsupported version.. http://php.net/supported-versions.php . Even 5.5 would die in the next few days
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by maekhel(m): 6:46am On Jul 02, 2016
Jregz:

THe question is why would you use 5.2 or any other unsupported version.. http://php.net/supported-versions.php . Even 5.5 would die in the next few days
I taya o
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by sleepingdemon: 7:18am On Jul 02, 2016
Jregz:

i never said i was using 5.2, everything i currently use php for is on 7.0, i was just making that refrence to its backward compability. i hope you understand my point here. if u read my post well, i wasnt arguing within any of the frameworks, i was only saying the arguments between the frameworks have been unfair.
Cheers.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by jidez007: 8:24am On Jul 02, 2016
The arguments are unfair because you made a framework like Laravel and gave someone who was already used to Laravel. Well that wasn't fair to the person too. Even Laravel doesn't try to recreate the wheel that much. It was built on Symphony and it tries to use other open source packages as well. So there was no way you could have made a cmf that would par with Laravel.

Chai, I hate arguments, I don't want to reply any longer.

1 Like

Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by sleepingdemon: 8:46am On Jul 02, 2016
jidez007:
The arguments are unfair because you made a framework like Laravel and gave someone who was already used to Laravel. Well that wasn't fair to the person too. Even Laravel doesn't try to recreate the wheel that much. It was built on Symphony and it tries to use other open source packages as well. So there was no way you could have made a cmf that would par with Laravel.

Chai, I hate arguments, I don't want to reply any longer.
i never made a framework like laravel. this is why i made emphasis that my post should be re-read. i made mention of creating a framework that follows codeigniter routing system, uses namespaces, composer's autoloader and pdo as the default database driver, and the person complained of the routing system not being like that of laravel.
i really dont know if you dint read my post at all or ure just trying to be mischievous. Anyway, its of no point explaining myself to you, each man to his own thoughts.
cheers
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by jidez007: 8:53am On Jul 02, 2016
OK
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 02, 2016
dhtml18:
My reason for asking this is simple: I don't have any favorite PHP framework even after coding PHP for like 10yrs+.

So let the trollin' begin!
If you code an application in a php framework and later on someone else wants to maintain the code does it mean the person will have to learn the framework first? If the answer is YES then I will prefer coding from scratch to make it easier for another person to upgrade the code.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 02, 2016
Ontarget:

If you code an application in a php framework and later on someone else wants to maintain the code does it mean the person will have to learn the framework first? If the answer is YES then I will prefer coding from scratch to make it easier for another person to upgrade the code.

This your question is tough, I shall leave it for the other e-trolls to answer.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by sleepingdemon: 10:10am On Jul 02, 2016
dhtml18:

This your question is tough, I shall leave it for the other e-trolls to answer.
lool, even the people in charge of php zend, wouldnt advice you to ditch a framework and code from scratch
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 02, 2016
^^^I have a personal framework which in my own opinion is probably as powerful and like 10x faster for me to use than any other known framework that i have used (i might be wrong though) - speaking from my limited experience.
I developed it privately and have maintained it over the years, it even has powerful CMS plugins that makes it rival Wordpress in terms of ease-of-use and at the same time, its core is as simple as codigniter (in fact, it uses similar extensions like codigniter).

But you know the downside ehn - since it is not open-source, the support and maintainance is entirely up to me. Having a community to support your code is very important. Now, I have a lot of deprecated codes inside, and to maintain it now is a headache - so as far as I am concerned, the CODE IS BROKEN.

Imagine, if i write a library with codigniter now, and the CI experts review it, they can easily make corrections here and there. Point to security loopholes more easily than if i write a custom library of say 500 lines - purely handwritten code not following any coding conventions.

If i want to do a small project sharperly, then i will use my framework. But for large-scale or multi-developer stuffs, I will rather use a known and popular framework like laravel, codigniter etc for reasons explained above (and lots of other reasons too)

But if I have had a solid team of open-source developers working with me, I would have taken that my framework to greater heights, and increase popularity and all that - but it is not easy to do a one-man maintenance team, so i hereby leave my personal framework and have proceeded to migrate all my relevant libraries to codigniter.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by maekhel(m): 10:39am On Jul 02, 2016
A thing I have come to realize in software/web development is that some people thinks by building stuffs from scratch(without a framework) approves them being a better programmer/developer. But it doesn't always work that way. There are lot of advantages working with frameworks will give you aside allowing you to follow best standards.

And mind you nobody actually does build from scratch, we all use one library or the other. The jQuery and the likes nko

3 Likes

Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 02, 2016
The poster above me is very right, to be honest, creating my own frameworks and stuffs like that help me to achieve mastery of programming - but it ends there.

But in terms of productivity, you make more money by being able to use existing stuffs. In fact, most of the money I make comes from being versatile in building extensions for lots of platforms like wordpress, drupal, joomla, oxwall, magento etc and ability to build extensions for lots of frameworks (despite the fact that i dont really use all those stuffs for my personal projects).

If you ever had to build a site like twitter or facebook, my own advice is this - even if you can build the code from the scratch, you should not unless you have a solid development team - otherwise - be like me, use codigniter or any other popular framework.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2016
sleepingdemon:

lool, even the people in charge of php zend, wouldnt advice you to ditch a framework and code from scratch
There are many php frameworks out there. Programmers use a wide variety of frameworks and no one is clearly being preferred over the others which makes it a whole mess. When you code using a specific framework and eventually you pass the project to another person who uses a different framework it means the person will also have to spend time learning the framework before making attempts to modify your code. I believe this will have a hit on productivity when you are no more there to upgrade your own code and no one is readily available who knows your framework.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 02, 2016
^^^Are you speaking as an analyst / scientist / personal-experience? I do not pretend to be a scientist or anything, I speak purely from my personal experience.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by guru01(m): 1:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
Nice job done so far, clean interface and logo.
What the hell is my sach doing there.

I still don't understand how Nairaland work.
Re: What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
Ontarget:

There are many php frameworks out there. Programmers use a wide variety of frameworks and no one is clearly being preferred over the others which makes it a whole mess. When you code using a specific framework and eventually you pass the project to another person who uses a different framework it means the person will also have to spend time learning the framework before making attempts to modify your code. I believe this will have a hit on productivity when you are no more there to upgrade your own code and no one is readily available who knows your framework.

This in my opinion is wrong. Frameworks this days are nothing but packages - interoperable packages. FuelPHP, Laravel, AuraPHP, Symfony, name any.

If you feel you have to learn a particular feature and don't have the time, swap a library you know (that does the same thing) in at the cost of writing a single class (Provider for the framework) with one or 2 methods max . BAM. This is the height of productivity.

It even gets better with PSRs like the Caching interface and Http Message.. If "the inherited framework" uses guzzle/psr7 but you find it hard to use because the documentation the framework put up isn't nice enough (and you haven't used guzzle/psr7 before), switch to another implementation you know, say zend-diactoros.. BAM

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thread For Nairaland Algorithm Questions / I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? / Video Game Developers Nigeria [artists/animators, Programmers, Sound People]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.