Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:26 AM

Unilag DSA Allegedly Victimizes Students' Leader - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag DSA Allegedly Victimizes Students' Leader (502 Views)

OAU DSA Suspends All Religious Activities In Halls Of Residence (PICS) / See What JAMB Allegedly Did To Some Candidates Caught Cheating On CCTV Cameras / Alleged Extremist Group In OAU Has Support Of Buhari’s Cabinet Member – DSA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unilag DSA Allegedly Victimizes Students' Leader by lanaVello(m): 10:05am On Jun 30, 2016
To:
The Vice Chancellor,
University of Lagos,
Akoka-Yaba,
Lagos.

Dear Sir,

MY VICTIMIZATION BY THE DEAN OF STUDENT AFFAIRS AND UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS SECURITY MEN

Getting to my hostel (Mariere Hall) on June 22, 2016 at about 4:20pm a security man approached me and called my attention. On getting to him he requested he wants to see me and I responded that am heading somewhere that I will be back to see him. This was because I was heading to some offices to drop letters and attend to some salient issues considering it was almost close of work for that day. Immediately I finished dropping the documents, I returned to him as I agreed to listen to what he has to say.

On getting back to my hostel, he (the security officer) said the Dean of Student Affairs sent him, some porters and one of my executive to meet with me. Since I saw it was a meeting to have with them, I decided to record what they were saying to avoid denial which is also not out of place. The meeting began with five other security men present meeting and one of them was carrying gun making it a total of six security men. I guess one of the security men discovered I was recording their conversation, he walked close to me and tried to snatch my phone from me. I immediately asked him if it was wrong to record and what is secretive about the meeting except there is something shady to be discussed. Three security men among the six that came attacked me and started dragging my phone with me.

In the course of dragging my phone with me forcefully, they tore my shirt, twisted my hand, cut off my wristwatch, bruised my hand, kept pushing my head, strangled my neck and particularly one of the security men forcefully inserted his finger into my eye in their bid to collect my phone knowing fully well that am a blind student. I kept asking them what my offense was to be treated this way and all they kept saying was that they got orders from the Dean of Student Affairs. They eventually succeeded in snatching and taking away my phone which till now have not be returned to me and I have been unable to communicate to my family, classmates or friends to get any information considering my state as a blind student.

I later moved to my room and they followed me upstairs saying they have orders to eject me out of hostel forcefully by the Dean of Student Affairs. One of the security men kept pushing me and I argued with him because I could not see him and he said he will beat me up if I don’t keep quiet. They could not differentiate my luggage from that of others and they immediately put my room under lock to prevent me from accessing my room which I was allocated to and duly paid for. This was truly a show of shame as the same security men who should protect my life are the ones planning to take it. Ever since that incident happened, I have not been allowed entrance into the hall I chair and the room I was allocated which has led to me sleeping around considering my state as a blind student.

This act executed by the management of Student Affairs is barbaric, uncivil, condemnable, a breach of my fundamental human rights and calls for public concern. This institution is tagged nation’s pride but the office of the Dean of Student Affairs have not exhibited this in their conduct and I vehemently say as a student that this action (s) need to be thoroughly investigated and the perpetrators need to be brought to book. I have attached the letter of my arbitral removal from office by the Dean of Student Affairs.

Thank you.

Lawrence Success Umezinwa
Hall Chairman Mariere Hall

Cc:
Deputy Vice Chancellor Management and Services
Deputy Vice Chancellor Academics and Research
Dean of Faculties
Chief Security Officer
ASUU Chairman Unilag
National Association of the Blind
NAVIS Unilag Chapter
Mariere Hall Notice Board
National Association of Nigerian Student
Press

(1) (Reply)

Remedial Course For Foreign Doctors Zaria / Uncertainties In 2016 Admission Process / See The Simple Maths Only 1 Percent Of Nigerians Passed In A Recent Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.