Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,125 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Top 3 Most Frustrating Writing Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 3 Most Frustrating Writing Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them) (401 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them / Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections / Top 3 Most Difficult Exams In The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top 3 Most Frustrating Writing Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them) by TheReadyWriters: 10:12am On Jun 30, 2016
1.Incorrect verb forms — 51%
Irregular verb forms are one of the most difficult grammar concepts to master, even for native speakers – many of whom use incorrect irregular forms without realising it. While these “mistakes” are part of English dialects all over the world, these non-standard forms carry a stigma that can significantly damage your credibility if used in formal settings, like business or school. Here are the most common verb conjugation mistakes:
I seen vs. I saw
Incorrect: I seen the movie last week.
Correct: I saw the movie last week.

2 Subject-verb disagreement — 20%
In many languages, it is important that the subject of the sentence aligns correctly with the verb conjugation in terms of number and gender. Since English does not conjugate verbs to reflect the gender of the subject, you only need to pay close attention to the number of the subject – is it a singular or plural noun?
Incorrect: The struggles that the horse experiences while climbing the mountain is intense.
Here the subject the struggles does not align with the verb “is.” Because struggles is plural, the verb should are.
Correct: The struggles that the horse experiences while climbing the mountain are intense.
In English, irregular verbs and compound subjects make subject-verb agreement somewhat tricky. Irregular verbs, like those above, must be memorised, but compound subjects follow a simple rule – they are plural. See below for an example using the compound subject Jane and Mark.
Correct: Jane and Mark are running a marathon this month.

3Run-on sentences — 10%

According to Grammarly’s research, run-on sentences are among the top grammar mistakes made by writers worldwide. A run-on sentence contains two or more independent clauses (a group of words that contains a subject and a verb and that can stand alone as a sentence) that are not connected with correct punctuation. Though there are different kinds of run-on sentence errors, most often writers neglect to use a comma before a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, etc.).
Incorrect: I enjoy writing immensely but my deadline is looming I am starting to feel overwhelmed.
Correct: I enjoy writing immensely, but my deadline is looming; I am starting to feel overwhelmed.
Each independent clause must be set apart from other independent clauses with punctuation or a comma and conjunction. Punctuation marks that are ideal for marking complete sentences are periods (full-stops), semicolons, and em dashes.

Credit: Grammarly
Re: Top 3 Most Frustrating Writing Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them) by Michpatrick4: 10:18am On Jun 30, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Please Help A Sister Make Her Dream Come Through / PHOTOS: Kogi University Students Shut Down Lokoja / Help Needed From Lasu Peeps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.