Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni (14504 Views)

Kick Start Your Career As A Software Developer In 2018 / Which Is More Preferable Studying Biology Edu In The Uni Or SLT In The Poly. / 10 Things You Must Do Before Quitting Your Job To Start Your Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by enoch273: 10:34am On Jun 30, 2016
So, you and your parents have just invested a significant amount of money for your university education. As a freshman, what can you do to make sure you get your money’s worth? How will you assure a return on your investment (ROI)?

Step 1: Get Organized

Developing a strong, structured time management routine is crucial to being successful in college. Your first semester will set the tone for your following four years. It is imperative that you establish a strong GPA that first semester because maintaining a high GPA is much easier than trying to bring up a low one.

Being organized will also keep you healthy, reduce your stress levels, and prevent fatigue.

Work on maximizing your time between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. Take advantage of free time between classes to work on homework, projects, career development, and exercise. This will free up your evenings and weekends for additional activities, rest, and relaxation. Then, spend a few hours at the end of your weekend to review and plan for the following week.

Step 2: Schedule Monthly Meetings With A Career Coach

Because career development is a process that takes as many semesters as your established major, scheduling career coaching appointments monthly will benefit you tremendously. Every college has a career development office. Locate it and visit your first semester. Then, establish a relationship with this office

and keep consistent appointments with a career coach. He/she will help you plan out your professional

development goals for each semester.

If you do not do this, you will not be educated on how to transition from student to professional. Would you dare wait until your final semester of college to visit your professors, attend class, and follow through with your major requirements for graduation? Of course not! So, why would you dare make the mistake of doing this with your career development?

Step 3: Engage In Your Career Development

The majority of students who fail to attend and participate in career development events do so because

they choose not to engage and prioritize this development. Again, it is imperative that students educate

themselves on how to transition from student to professional. Establish and keep consistent appointments with a career coach so you can identify professional interests, build strategies for out of classroom experiences, identify strong, mentor-based internships, and establish a strong professional brand. Learning to be professional starts freshman year, not senior year.

Step 4: Investigate Extra Curricular Activities

Once you have identified professional interests, it is time to celebrate those interests and meet others who have those same interests. This is where extra curricular activities come in. As a freshman, finding a community that celebrates these same interests will help you learn more about yourself, your goals and passions, and your interpersonal style. College provides an abundance of clubs and activities for students to choose from, so investigate these choices and participate starting your freshman year. This will set the

stage for future leadership opportunities within these clubs or activities and will help strengthen your

professional interests.

Step 5: Create Your LinkedIn Profile

Establishing a professional on line presence begins freshman year. Yes, students need to clean up their Facebook page and even lock it down, if preferred. However, the main focus freshman year, is to establish your LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn is a professional networking site every bit as relevant to first year college students as it is to seasoned professionals.

The difference is in the strategies used by freshman versus seasoned professionals. Freshman can research

alumni, learn about their majors and subsequent careers, research those careers and the companies in which they work and learn tons about the professional world. And, the career development coaches and staff can assist freshman in building their profiles and using the site strategically.

Step 6: Get A Mentor

Because your first year in college is a huge transition, it can be a tremendous help to build a relationship with someone a bit ahead of you. Someone who has recently been in your shoes, can guide you, give you advice and support you through this transition. This is where mentoring comes in. Ask the career development office if they can assist you in locating a mentor. Alumni can be fabulous mentors for freshman and a career coach can assist you in making connections with alumni through LinkedIn.

These are six easy steps to accomplish during your freshman year. Remember, you have made a significant financial investment to attend college, so follow these steps and you will be on your way to gaining a huge ROI.

Dedicated to Dr. Aria Enefo, whom gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, she believed in me.

13 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by looseweight: 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2016
That's good write up there OP.

IAMLOOSEWEIGHT
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Myque1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2016
Step 7...and probably the most important step of them all:
Believe in and be guided by God: PRAY!

You could be the most organized person ever and meet the most renowned career coaches in the world as often as you like, participate in world-class career development events and the most relevant extra-curricular activities, have the perfect profile on LinkedIn and be mentored by the very best people in the game and still end up performing far below par. We've heard of lots of first-class brains who seem to do everything right and still can't seem to make any headway. Why? Come to think of it, what if you dropped dead right after graduation?

It's important we take all the aforementioned wonderful steps and hope for the very best, but they aren't failproof. The Divine is. So it's paramount we always put God first.

So long as there's life, time and chance are what really make the difference. And guess what? They're all in His hands!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by MAGNETIC(m): 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2016
9ce 1
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2016
Kole Werk!!!
Especially if you are in UNIBEN

Ask Madcow1 if you think am lying

3 Likes

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Clone2020(m): 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
Freshman or Jambite?
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by tolexy007(m): 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
smiley
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Abimloaded(m): 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
My primary aim is too hunt for fine and fresh ladies,not this your long epistle....
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by lillylove2(f): 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
First to Comment! Gosh!!! I can't believe this.

I will like to say hi to my family. Your sibling Lilly
is on front page.

Shout out to our pastor for his prayers. And to MTN for not disappointing me.

But one question I have, why must all these Bloggers do copy and paste every time. Even if you can't create contents yourself, can't you at least edit it to suit the Nigerian environment/audience?

2 Likes

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by MrCow(m): 3:48pm On Jun 30, 2016
lolz, this piece is for the serious ones i.e those that know what they want..... most fyb's sef are confused not to talk of freshman
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 30, 2016
Na wash !
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by bamikole07(m): 3:52pm On Jun 30, 2016
Tanks, u have a good point
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
op. 1 million likes for you!
for those still in school, this is what I call free life expo given on a platter!
do not take what op listed here lightly I take God beg you!
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by slim19(m): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
lillylove2:

is on front page.

But one question I have, why must all these Bloggers do copy and paste every time. Even if you can't create contents yourself, can't you at least edit it to suit the Nigerian environment/audience?
hahahahahaha...you're not FTC

2 Likes

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by IamLukas(m): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice piece sha.

Buh sounds too foreigncry

4 Likes

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by claire675(f): 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
ok
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Taiyescott(m): 4:03pm On Jun 30, 2016
Op U Try Wit Dix Ur Copy And Paste Technology, 7 Gbosa 4 U Oo.. *2 Dose Concerned, Op Is Actually Correct*
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 30, 2016
IamLukas:
Nice piece sha.

Buh sounds too foreigncry
bro negative...
this is what it takes to be a big player...on top of your game/on the food chain. very vital if want to roll with international coy.
believe you me you don't see these kind of article often. it comes once in a blue moon.
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 30, 2016
Seems the OP's talking about Universities Abroad...
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by papinx(m): 4:11pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice one Op....

#TeamFynestboi
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by nnamokenna(m): 4:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
I never knew that being a freshman - or an undergraduate for that matter - is a career shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by elvision1(m): 4:19pm On Jun 30, 2016
So, you and your parents have just invested a significant amount of money for your university education. As a freshman,

...BLAH BLAH BLAH

...and your interpersonal style. College provides an abundance of clubs and activities for students to choose from,

I Concur!! I Concur!!
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by dave2meek(m): 4:34pm On Jun 30, 2016
Some of these steps are not applicable here in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by SmithHumble50: 4:35pm On Jun 30, 2016
Interesting..
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by 3rdlegxxx(m): 4:36pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice write up, it seems more of an american guide for doing well in college, Africa and Nigeria is a bit different, now in as much as i appreciate this thread, i am a writer and i love the UK and US write ups on guilds on college things, how to save and more but please let's be creative, for a forum like this and an audience like this, you can edit that write up and put more things a Nigerian in a Nigerian university (whether public or private) can totally relate to? we are Nigerians, we are smart people, creating a thread like this with the target audience being us studying in Nigerian uni system, trust me, we would all relate to it better, with this all you would get is, nice one, nice write up, good one, really good one OP and all that, reason is they understand but can't really relate and you shouldn't blame them.

3 Likes

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Seunnzy(m): 4:38pm On Jun 30, 2016
lillylove2:

is on front page.

U still dreaming of FTC

1 Like

Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2016
I think I should put this to practice already!

But what if I don't want to follow a career path defined by my university education?
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Dreyl(m): 4:42pm On Jun 30, 2016
I concur!
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by 01Mysticdon(m): 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
Not what I was expecting. Please write about Nigeria. It is different here
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by FuckTheM0ds(m): 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
Abimloaded:
My primary aim is too hunt for fine and fresh ladies,not this your long epistle....
same here man. Forget this pastor were dey preach long epistle o na fine girls my eye wan catch o. I hear say na UNIBEN dem plenty for there.
How about you which uni you go flirt the fine babes
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by Abimloaded(m): 5:05pm On Jun 30, 2016
FuckTheM0ds:
same here man. Forget this pastor were dey preach long epistle o na fine girls my eye wan catch o. I hear say na UNIBEN dem plenty for there.
How about you which uni you go flirt the fine babes

My brother, na OAU my headquarters go dey ooo but I will network my hunting to all the universities in nigeria.... Hunt from all regionn
Re: Six (6) Steps With Which You Can Kick Start Your Career As A Freshman In The Uni by SirDavico(m): 5:16pm On Jun 30, 2016
Abimloaded:

Tell me that's a joke

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria / Court Orders MTN To Pay 63 Sacked Staff 4yrs & Post-disengagement Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.