Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s (41775 Views)

I Read In The Bathroom - Dami Ajayi, Author Of A Woman's Body Is A Country / What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Jok3r(m): 6:21am On Jul 01, 2016
4once:
Life presents a challenge to everyone who is living: the challenge of living and excelling.

However, this challenge is made easier if you have guidance: that is where the 10 books you should read in your 20’s feature.

Why?

The years between 20 and 29 are the years of abundance: ambition, power, love, sex, lust…but ironically, this same period is one that is characterized by the most gross stupidity – as most major mistakes in life are committed during this period.

So how do you avoid that mess of youth and live without regrets? Simple: Read these 10 books you should read in your youth and take their content serious! They may be your life saver!

The Holy Book of Your Religion

The Holy Book of the religion you believe and practice is very important. Great chances are that it is the religion of your father and his forbears. Now, looking stupid about an article of faith you profess is not the best of situations, I guarantee you.

As a side point, the various books of the numerous religions also have wisdom that is incomparable to contemporary logic. My bet is that you’d never find logic as sound as that presented by the scholars of old!

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

This book, sure will teach you a few things you do not know about money and the financial system of the world.

In turn, you’d avoid teaching your children the prejudices you are most likely to teach them – that is, if you fail to read this book.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

This is sure a great and timeless classic. The book teaches the rudiments of wealth and outlines how anyone can amass wealth irrespective of where he/she currently is on the economic ladder.

It is quite an inspiring book in the sense that it teaches wealth creation in a step by step fashion. If after reading this book, your finances are still in a mess, then I don’t think anything can be done to save you!

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

Looking to have a realistic picture of what your fellow man is and what governs him? Then, this is the book to read!

The reason why this book is among the 10 books you should read in your 20’s is that it presents man in his true and basic color: it tells you exactly how selfish humans beings are and ensures you do not start life with an innocence in human beings that tends to trust all – even to your detriment!

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

The joy of this book is that though it is supposed to be a Treatise on military strategy, the points illustrated in the book can be used to great effect any day or time with the same astonishing results.

The book prepares one to be ferocious when the time and circumstance call for it and also calm and gentle when the moment dictates. Indeed, it is one of the books you MUST read in your 20’s.

The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene

In this world we live, its either you seduce or are seduced. Not literally anyway…When you have to respond to another’s whims and caprices, that’s seduction!

Now, you’re definitely going to be doing a lot of persuasions (seductions) in your adult life: your love, your boss, your children, your in-laws, etc. It’s a book you should read in your 20’s by all means.

Why?

Because even if you have no intention of persuading anyone, at least you should be guarded against the often malicious persuasions of others.

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

This is one book you must read in your 20’s.

The beauty of this book is that it portrays the active play of power and the often cut throat action that follows it in a language that resembles poetry…Here, anyone can feel like the boss, know what it is like to wield power and actively guard against its use on him/her.

This is a book you should not celebrate your 30th birthday without.

The Mafia Manager by V

Hey! This is the most sinister of the list – the author simply wants to be identified as V.

Anyway, apart from the fact that he does not want his full identity known, the advice he offers in the book is simply irresistible! If you’re thinking it’s some Mafia style, relax – nothing of the sort.

V, however, succeeds in bringing the Mafia genius into everyday operations. And the result, as V lets his readers see, is quite practical!

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen

This 1903 classic holds to all who have imagination, the power and key to limitless accomplishments!

There is nothing that cannot be achieved if a man sets his eyes to it – that is the key message of the book.

Why it is recommended as a must read before the landmark 30 is that after that age, man is oft to doubt more than it is good for progress!

However, if the message contained in the book is religiously followed, man is sure to make an impact on earth more than Napoleon or Alexander the Great.

Any other book you should read in your 20’s that I missed

More than 1 omission? Sorry, lets hear about it in the comment section.

Source: https://zomoblog./2016/06/30/10-books-you-should-read-in-your-20s/

read abt 3 books here nd more of jojn c maxwell nd ben carson
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by AmuEwu: 6:25am On Jul 01, 2016
4once:
Life presents a challenge to everyone who is living: the challenge of living and excelling.

However, this challenge is made easier if you have guidance: that is where the 10 books you should read in your 20’s feature.

Why?

The years between 20 and 29 are the years of abundance: ambition, power, love, sex, lust…but ironically, this same period is one that is characterized by the most gross stupidity – as most major mistakes in life are committed during this period.

So how do you avoid that mess of youth and live without regrets? Simple: Read these 10 books you should read in your youth and take their content serious! They may be your life saver!

The Holy Book of the religion you believe and practice is very important. Great chances are that it is the religion of your father and his forbears. Now, looking stupid about an article of faith you profess is not the best of situations, I guarantee you.

As a side point, the various books of the numerous religions also have wisdom that is incomparable to contemporary logic. My bet is that you’d never find logic as sound as that presented by the scholars of old!

This book, sure will teach you a few things you do not know about money and the financial system of the world.

In turn, you’d avoid teaching your children the prejudices you are most likely to teach them – that is, if you fail to read this book.

This is sure a great and timeless classic. The book teaches the rudiments of wealth and outlines how anyone can amass wealth irrespective of where he/she currently is on the economic ladder.

It is quite an inspiring book in the sense that it teaches wealth creation in a step by step fashion. If after reading this book, your finances are still in a mess, then I don’t think anything can be done to save you!

Looking to have a realistic picture of what your fellow man is and what governs him? Then, this is the book to read!

The reason why this book is among the 10 books you should read in your 20’s is that it presents man in his true and basic color: it tells you exactly how selfish humans beings are and ensures you do not start life with an innocence in human beings that tends to trust all – even to your detriment!

The joy of this book is that though it is supposed to be a Treatise on military strategy, the points illustrated in the book can be used to great effect any day or time with the same astonishing results.

The book prepares one to be ferocious when the time and circumstance call for it and also calm and gentle when the moment dictates. Indeed, it is one of the books you MUST read in your 20’s.

In this world we live, its either you seduce or are seduced. Not literally anyway…When you have to respond to another’s whims and caprices, that’s seduction!

Now, you’re definitely going to be doing a lot of persuasions (seductions) in your adult life: your love, your boss, your children, your in-laws, etc. It’s a book you should read in your 20’s by all means.

Why?

Because even if you have no intention of persuading anyone, at least you should be guarded against the often malicious persuasions of others.

The beauty of this book is that it portrays the active play of power and the often cut throat action that follows it in a language that resembles poetry…Here, anyone can feel like the boss, know what it is like to wield power and actively guard against its use on him/her.

The Mafia Manager by V

Hey! This is the most sinister of the list – the author simply wants to be identified as V.

Anyway, apart from the fact that he does not want his full identity known, the advice he offers in the book is simply irresistible! If you’re thinking it’s some Mafia style, relax – nothing of the sort.

V, however, succeeds in bringing the Mafia genius into everyday operations. And the result, as V lets his readers see, is quite practical!

This 1903 classic holds to all who have imagination, the power and key to limitless accomplishments!

There is nothing that cannot be achieved if a man sets his eyes to it – that is the key message of the book.

Why it is recommended as a must read before the landmark 30 is that after that age, man is oft to doubt more than it is good for progress!

However, if the message contained in the book is religiously followed, man is sure to make an impact on earth more than Napoleon or Alexander the Great.

Seriously I've read almost everyone of them either hard or soft copy

For those people who are two lazy to read, there's this audio by Earl nightingale '19 minutes that can change your life' you guys can check it out, its really life changing

3 Likes

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by olaasiwaju: 6:27am On Jul 01, 2016
100 Great Leadership Ideas by Jonathan Gifford.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by mrphysics(m): 6:28am On Jul 01, 2016
Money won't make you rich by Sunday Adelaja.

THE SCHOOL OF MONEY

SPIRIT CONTROLLED TEMPERAMENT

7 WAYS TO FINANCIAL PROSPERITY

HOW TO GET ALL YOU WANT

sorry, I have forgotten the authors of the book, there are so many I have read. I strongly advise people not to read 48 laws of power. it has never helped those that read it in anyway. Written by an Unbeliever, it is aimed to take trust away from even your parents and teach you how to be selfish
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 01, 2016
Add Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 01, 2016
Hope there ain't no too much grammar in 'em? cuz I really hate reading books whereby the writer keep sending me to my dictionary in every two lines I read... it really pisses me off.....
especially Nigerian writers
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Perfectionist11: 6:33am On Jul 01, 2016
Millerz:
If you're a Muslim, pls don't read the Qur'an.

Can you state d reason(s) why U think Muslims shouldn't read the Qur'an??

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by abham: 6:36am On Jul 01, 2016
Try "Take the risk" by Ben carson
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by undertaker007(m): 6:36am On Jul 01, 2016
pls where can one get d soft copies?
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by joywendy(f): 6:39am On Jul 01, 2016
TippyTop:
Don't forget my latest best seller.

Can't you be serious?

Must you politicise everything? Yet we wonder why we are still backwards undecided
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Ifebazz(m): 6:40am On Jul 01, 2016
4once:

Why?

Why?

The Mafia Manager by V

You must be so self centered as a person. All your recommendations save for the Holy books are all uninspiring, egotistic ones. I wonder why 'christians' read such. Christianity' teaches selflessness, the exact opposite of what those so-called 'inspirational books' does.
You didn't recommend simple novels to try to help the dying written English and perhaps spoken too. Most people here writes "am" instead of "I'm " (I am), "is" instead of "it's" (it is) etc. You don't notice such, but I won't blame you much. The value system is totally in shambles.

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Clarinett(m): 6:41am On Jul 01, 2016
i've read all but 2, i don read sha
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Northboy(m): 6:41am On Jul 01, 2016
mrkayusfit:
I had a friend who read rich dad poor dad. Unfortunately, my padi is poorer than a church rat today. sad
Ask your padi about his savings and investment habit.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by TippyTop(m): 6:41am On Jul 01, 2016
joywendy:

Can't you be serious?

Must you politicise everything? Yet we wonder why we are still backwards undecided

Speak for yourself, you may be backward, am certainly not backward.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Ifebazz(m): 6:44am On Jul 01, 2016
YOUNGSTUNNA:
Hope there ain't no too much grammar in 'em? cuz I really hate reading books whereby the writer keep sending me to my dictionary in every two lines I read... it really pisses me off.....
especially Nigerian writers
It builds your vocabulary and teaches you the usages of words.

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by scarr: 6:44am On Jul 01, 2016
I'll try
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by AmuEwu: 6:46am On Jul 01, 2016
mrphysics:

THE SCHOOL OF MONEY

HOW TO GET ALL YOU WANT

sorry, I have forgotten the authors of the book, there are so many I have read. I strongly advise people not to read 48 laws of power. it has never helped those that read it in anyway. Written by an Unbeliever, it is aimed to take trust away from even your parents and teach you how to be selfish

The Prince, mafia manager and art of seduction have this same concept too
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 01, 2016
The only book I haven't read from the list is 'The richest man in babylon'.
Op..You should add 'The 33 strategies of war' by Robert greene, it's a great read too.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by kunlesufyan(m): 6:47am On Jul 01, 2016
mrkayusfit:
I had a friend who read rich dad poor dad. Unfortunately, my padi is poorer than a church rat today. sad
Lol...he probably didn't know how to apply the knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by kgr8mike(m): 6:48am On Jul 01, 2016
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Northboy(m): 6:48am On Jul 01, 2016
Millerz:
If you're a Muslim, pls don't read the Qur'an.
Then come and read it for us...Mstscheeeew

2 Likes

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Rolings: 6:50am On Jul 01, 2016
Mynd44:
Throw in Robert Ludlums "Bourne Series" and Stephen King's "It" and dazzall

It might be too bulky I suggest Misery by Stephen king
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by ghostmist: 6:53am On Jul 01, 2016
SMARTKOSSY:
lol itz not in everyone's destiny to be rich na. No matter how much u try. Its luck. We just pray we are among the lucky ones
i disagree...
Destiny isn't set in stone; it's what you make of it.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 01, 2016
Ifebazz:

It builds your vocabulary and teaches you the usages of words.

Who vocabulary epp??....
Another thing is reading and another thing is understanding....

I love reading books written by the whites...they make their English very simple and straight forward, but Nigerians ---- I too know...

abi dem white no no vocabulary??

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Rolings: 6:56am On Jul 01, 2016
Apart from the religious books and the Prince by Nicollo machiaveli the rest are not worth the time. Majority were written by Capitalist minded authors for advanced capitalist societies which have little bearing with a typical African and his view of the world. I have said it that I prefer to read a motivational book by an African using African examples of sucess than reading a western book full of examples from the west .

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by royalharry(m): 6:56am On Jul 01, 2016
Nice, I've read 3;The Holy Bible, Rich dad poor dad and The mafia manager...
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 01, 2016
I have read all except the Mafia Manager.
WHO WILL CRY WHEN YOU DIE by Robin Sharma, should be on the list.
Well done OP.

1 Like

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Khodry(m): 7:01am On Jul 01, 2016
@millerz I don't know the reason for your statement but I need to tell you this. If you have not read the Quran, you need to go and read it. Because it teaches very thing you need to know to become a good person here in this world and in the yr after. It is a book that have been make perfect by the supreme God so also other books in their pure forms and the last of them all.......No offence pls, may God guide us all!
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by tonyx4x44(m): 7:06am On Jul 01, 2016
mrkayusfit:
I had a friend who read rich dad poor dad. Unfortunately,p my padi is poorer than a church rat today. sad

Knowing is not enough, we must apply - Bruce lee

No books gives you guaranteed success, tapping and using the knowledge from them greatly improves your chance of success though.

What your friend may be lacking
- faith
- believe
- application
- persistence (I know people who have failed and became broke many times before the became millionaires)

As long as he is still fight for what he want, he is on point.

Robert kiyosaki, the author of rich dad poor dad, was broke for 2 years and was sleeping in his car with his wife! 3 years later he was a millionaire, 6 years after that he was retired and financially free.

My personal recommendations... Best effect know your life if you are between 18 - 25. I recommend they be read in the order I arranged them (levels of difficulty)

1. Rich dad poor dad - Robert kiyosaki

2. The richest man in Babylon - George Clason

3. Eat that frog - Brian Tracy

4. How to win friends and influence people - dale Carnegie

5. Think and grow rich - napoleon hill

6. The art of seduction - Robert Greene

7. Cash flow quadrant - Robert kiyosaki

8. The 48 laws of power - Robert Green

9. The laws of success - napoleon Hill

10. The power of one - (need to check this title at home, writing from memory)

Please don't read mafia manager or laws of power as your first book. Improve your mind before going to complex.

Regressive analysis may sound crazy if you never did BODMAS - tonyx4x44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Softhands(m): 7:08am On Jul 01, 2016
I've read most of the books there...especially The richest man in Babylon...where there is a will, there is a way... Y'all should endeavour to read em if you have not already.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by Jinali(m): 7:12am On Jul 01, 2016
I have read all except 'The Art of War'.
Re: 10 Books You Should Read In Your 20’s by tonyx4x44(m): 7:14am On Jul 01, 2016
mrphysics:

THE SCHOOL OF MONEY

HOW TO GET ALL YOU WANT

There's often great misunderstanding on the subject of this book.
The laws of power is written as a historical book teaching what men in history did to gain, control and manage power, and the relation of this techniques to contemporary times.

An objective read of the book will open your mind to a lot of applicable points, and others you never want to do... The choice is yours.

Books are not meant to be followed verbatim, but for broad guidance on how things work and possible courses of action.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

MY Police Life (short Story By Faithful Don) / ... / [story] The Perfect Couple (adults Only)…part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.