Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) (11315 Views)

I Feel Cheated After Months Of Hardwork, I Need Your Opinion / Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo) / Badagry The New Lagos: Need A Land In Badagry Call Me 08079201118 or 08060989506 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 3:49pm On Sep 11, 2009
richcookie:

Well I grew up in Mushin and Idi-oro proper. Not my destinations now, probably still very bad. I actually remember been a conductor in a "MOLUE" for one month. I will move around a lot the first month. By the way I have a BMW X5 2003 111,000 MILES (about how much) but i might prefer Toyota land cruiser or suv. The Bmw is coming and the toyota i need to buy at the auction.

dejgan:

@richie

uhmm, many nigerians in diaspora are faced with the same challenge. Its terrible because things have gone worse than you left it several years back. It is more disturbing when you have to bring your innocent kids from a decent/working system into this environment where nothing seems certain.

as per whom to trust, german007 has given a good advice. conceal as much as possible your story. we often make that mistake when we come into a new environment. things are a lot different here because of the poverty.

you will need a suv in nigeria because the road are bad. i know americans are fuel-economy conscious.

if your family are coming with you. it may be a bit selfish not to consider the schools for your kids, your house, office, school, market, recreation should be within a distance of 15minutes drive (that may take 2hours sometimes in traffic for 9ja). there are good schools in nigeria but consider proximity.

certain areas of the state are bad for drainage, many people suggested the GRAs, some of them are not having a good drainage system, always look out for that, some well designed estates are better. some of the GRAs too are fast becoming commercial than residential. you wouldnt want to be neighbours with a nite club, pub or even a bank for security reasons. owners are fast selling to relocate to newer estates where serenity and private life is preserved.

i started working for people relocating back home early this year with a few results in abuja and lagos. will be willing to render our services to you. be free to call me on 07040298808. thanks!

Thanks. Actually, coming alone. In all that crazyness, Nigeria has wealth. Imagine the businesses that are making it. Luckily, 'OYINBO' MAN has given me some unique talents that will come in handy for my survival. I hold no illusions as to the conditions of many nigerians and the negative pysche of the country as a whole. I am an optimist and generally gravitate to successful people because after all, "if you want to be rich have some rich friends"

My sincere thanks to those on the ground and I trully do appreciate your wise advice. I have learned a great deal!
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Bruvdotcom(m): 3:59pm On Sep 11, 2009
@German007, you've got a wise old head, Spot on comments: "Its only those that know your background that can determine what's in your pocket" especially those in your old hood.

@Richcookie, Bruv, you grew up in Mushin and were a bus conductor for a month!!!!! You dont need our advice on 9JAR? LOL, Bruv even after 30yrs in Yankee you'll adjust well in no time, LOL

Anyway I'm just teasing you BUT actually when you've lived in JAND for a while, one does get "culture shock" on arrival to 9JAR (right from the airport!!!). Sometimes, I fly through Abuja and shuttle to Lagos via local airport. "Everyone" seems too menacing but give it a couple of days/weeks and you'll be back to your "mushin" self, LOL

Best advice is DON'T/TRY NOT to show off (clothing, cars, cash, etc) even if you live where people dont know you. "WORD" will get around that you are a J.J.C!!!!!
Immediately I get into 9JAR, I strip off my swagger baffs and wear native (kaftans) and stick to a story like "I'm relocating from Benin, Abuja, Jos, etc"

Goodluck to all you returneeessss,

Cheers,
Bruvdotcom
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by no1madman(m): 7:25pm On Sep 12, 2009
poster. . .it's very wise 2 buy than rent.
it'll be nice if u can afford(as in buy) a cheap apartment for a start.
Be stingy with your money. . .money have wings.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by thirdeye(m): 4:22pm On Sep 13, 2009
It is laughable how Nigerians condemn people back home and instill unnecessary fear in those that are coming back to the country. Others are talking about their bad experiences but I think the issue of having a bad time in Nigeria when you come is been overblown most of the time, not every of your relatives will need your money before they can survive and don't be surprised some of them may be far well off. So I advice don't leave your family totally in the dark they know you, they are still your best friend yes money can make the greatest saint fall, but this is not peculiar to Nigerians alone so why so much fuss. The people outside you want to put your trust on may not do you any good, so live your life when you come and lets play down on this LIONS ARE AT HOME CARDS EVERY TIME!!
Your area depends on nearness to your office or where your business will be. There is no part of Lagos that you can't get fairly good environment you can stay.
Close to every area there are always good and well planned estates around so I'll advice to come for two weeks move around and decide where you'll stay and most convenient.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by thirdeye(m): 4:35pm On Sep 13, 2009
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Bruvdotcom(m): 6:40pm On Sep 13, 2009
@thirdeye,
OMG thats some link you posted, great stuff BUT we grew up and have lived in 9JAR before, we are NOT complete JJC's aiiight.
I reckon you've got "Its not the craze man that shame BUT the craze mans brother" syndrome. LOL
We all know 9JAR is a damn dangerous place (like anywhere else in the world) for those who live there and those visiting however, to minimize the danger, you've gotta make arrangements to enable you reduce your exposure to those dangers and where you decide to live and who you associate with (Including family) make it a tad bit easier to live in 9JAR.
Erm, there are even some areas in Baltimore, USA you wouldnt catch me - alive, night or day!!!
Cheers and no hard feeling thirdeye,
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by thirdeye(m): 2:30am On Sep 14, 2009
No hard feelings at all, my broda I am only saying not to follow the western media that has no other business except running down Nigeria, thats their appetite let them have it but don't be fooled by all these things they show you is all over the world and we are getting better by the day. I am just chatting with someone on facebook is all the same Nigeria this !Nigeria that! when are we going to wake up, solve the problem and grow?
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by leye1234(m): 10:36pm On Sep 14, 2009
@poster, You can try OKOKOMAIKO grin
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by alanbolo(m): 4:38pm On Sep 15, 2009
@ Richiecookie, german007, thirdeye and all others, I'm really grateful to stumble across this post which I've eventually send the links to a whole bunch of friends on-line, We all need these types of forum as to enable 9jas in diaspora to come back home,

I really appreciate of the courage of german to return home just after 9 years, I wish i can say the same too. Stuttgart - Amsterdam - London and USA (finally) while communicating most of the times with people going and coming almost every two months, and living in 9ja community here in NJ. I did not really miss home. I visited last in 2003 until Dec. 2008, things are so different but determined to enforce myself back to the roots (Ile Baba omo, k'nba omo l'eru).

I was proud to be in the blue and red line buses from Ojota and Dopemu to Marina. I have the luxury of staying in the fully airconditioned guest house at Island as well as staying up to a week in Agege suburb without lights or generator at nights, above all, I drank pure water without any typhoid or malaria. Back to New Jersey with full Glory to God.

As it was advised earlier, no showing off, mostly in native attire and when pple ask me of my looks, I quickly replied that I've just returned from Port-Harcourt and Abuja. Above all, it is all fun and was glad to be back home. Just as you and german007, my broda, it's not easy oh, paper- with kids and all that, mortgage, etc. With wealth of experiences in corporate America IT industry, I believed one is better to give back to the roots and enjoy the fruits thereoff. As for my experiences, though, I have something on the ground, i think it will be better to rent first, even for a year than buying, this is common in any new city that one moves to. it will accord u the opportunity to know who, what and where for , and will not tied u down when u jump with both feet to purchase a home.

@ richiecookie, 9ja it is, all the way and God will make u fruitful as u determined to go back to motheland.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by rabamajah: 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2009
Our fee is 10% agency, 10% legal if u are letting and 5% each if buying.

Please I need clarification on this. Are you saying you charge an extra 10% if he's letting and 5% if he's the buyer apart from the original !0% agency fee? In other words you charge 20% if he's letting and 15% if he's buying.

I am also looking to come home fully within 2 years and never been home in over 13yrs. And am also looking for a property. Would not be home until next May but would like to know what's out there, if I can acquire a land now and start something or if it's better to buy an already built house. I don't have money like that unlike the way Nigerians see their fellow men coming from foreign countries.

German07 has given spoken it all, but with all said it's still not easy especially when you are from a foreign land. I think the best thing is to connect with people that were once in your shoes. If I was coming to Nigeria today, I would like to meet with German07 and the poster of this topic. By the time I would be coming you both would have been veteran's here.

Abb made mention of the resources like drainage, that's a very important information to know about, as much as security and traffic is. Are there other relocation education you guys can give us, we will be very grateful for any information or help rendered.

Thanks
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by alanbolo(m): 6:37pm On Sep 15, 2009
rabamajah:
,   I would like to meet with German07 and the poster of this topic. By the time I would be coming you both would have been veteran's here.   

I like ur style,   ask the veterans.   The more reason I enjoy this forum and I hope we continue to get more useful info.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2009
One with vision can create many businesses just from this thread alone. The need for clear and on time information is needed by Nigerains abroad. No real estate listing (like an MLS service). To all the real estate agents, imagine how much more income you will generate when you can look at a central database of properties for sale or for rent! Do anyone else see other businesses that can be created from this thread?
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 16, 2009
Try out VGC in Lekki. Its one of the most organized estates in Lagos.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Chizua(m): 8:26pm On Sep 16, 2009
My name is Daniel.  Am a staff of Nextzon Business Services Limited, the foremost enterprise builders.  We can help you set up your business.  Our testmony speaks for itself.  You can check out for our profile at   www.nextzon.com.  You are welcome.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by Chizua(m): 8:39pm On Sep 16, 2009
[/quote][quote author=richcookie link=topic=320080.msg4550461#msg4550461 date=1253043710]
One with vision can create many businesses just from this thread alone. The need for clear and on time information is needed by Nigerains abroad. No real estate listing (like an MLS service). To all the real estate agents, imagine how much more income you will generate when you can look at a central database of properties for sale or for rent! Do anyone else see other businesses that can be created from this thread?

AT Nextzon, we are doing great job as one of our startup firms, Rent-a-Month is coming on board. It is a company established to offer on line rent finance services to tenants in the Nigerian real estate market.

These services will be offered via a website, which will have listed properties available for letting from agents across Nigeria. After undertaking a virtual inspection of the property, the prospective tenant would have the option of selecting bank finance for the rent payment.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 1:00am On Sep 23, 2009
My sincere thanks to all that contributed to this thread. It just occurred to me how difficult it is to negotiate long distance for an accomodation in Nigeria. Every obstacle in my way now , is an opportunity for business ideas in the future.
I have decided to stay in an hotel for two weeks (for neutrality reasons) and then secure urgently an apartment once on the ground. Now I am checking out hotels and some have reviews out of hell! Your thoughts about known good hotels and bad ones to stay away from will be greatly appreciated.
When settled, I promise to write detail report for Nigerians abroad to follow by pointing out my mistakes (if any) and ways to make your trip less stressfull.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 11:16pm On Sep 26, 2009
Any help as to the best hotels would be appreciated. Thanks
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by thirdeye(m): 11:29pm On Sep 26, 2009
And one more thing money has wings it flies, account for all money you spend else you'll be surprised at how much you'll have spent in just a month, the best hotel is not the issue.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 11:31pm On Sep 26, 2009
Third eye

Very True indeed.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by axeman85(m): 12:04pm On Sep 27, 2009
@ poster

when i was in naija 1st time afta like 6yrs, i stayed in an holiday apartment for 3weeks and it was at a fee of 7500naira per night it was a 3bedroom apartment in magodo fully furnished wth ac, but all i had to do was make my food myself and buy diesel for the gen and it was at a cost of 5thousand for 50litres for 3days depending on the usage.

also on my second visit i stayed somewhere else as where istayed first time was no longer in operation, stayed in mko abiola gardens this time around it was for 1week anf it was at a fee of 12500naira per night and also as well 5k for diesel every 3days depending on the usage fully furnished as well ac, all i had to do was make my food myself.

but 3rd time in naija as i wasnt planning and had to go on emergency stayed in a budget hotel which was like i think 3500naira per night in gbagada for 2weeks. to be honest, it was a messed up place, throughot my stay all i did there was sleep and bath, the toilet was black and the place looked like ,  i dnt even know a word god enough to qualify the place.   but all this was experience. and ths stay was minus feeding, and taxis throughout as well as recharge cards, as well as the usual handouts you will dole out. lol

but now that am moving back to naija i have decide to secure an apartmen in the ogba, maryland, ojodu, surulere areas or either of these places so as to have a place to stay when next i am around before i finally come home in next few months finally. an i will be furnishing it gradually.

so the key is that since you are relocating finally get an accomodation as soon as possible as you can because for everyday you spend in a hotel you are spending more money and its costly as well.
all these was withing te last 9months. ooo.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 12:17pm On Sep 27, 2009
@Axeman85

You are indeed very correct. It is quite costly to live in hotel and holiday apartments.

Iv got to realise that the more often you come home, the more aware you are and know how to save and where not to spend unecessarily

Those areas you mentioned are indeed good locations.

Good luck.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by grandstar(m): 10:23am On Sep 28, 2009
Omole Phase 2 or Magodo Shangisha.

Why I recommend them is that they are relatively go slow free.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 4:34pm On Oct 04, 2009
Any suggestions about good hotels or furnished apartments?. Thanks kindly to everyone.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by axeman85(m): 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2009
the one i know is furnished apartment partment and its at the going rate of 12500naira per night i think. if you are interested, i can link you up with who runs the place.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by german007(m): 9:16pm On Oct 04, 2009
Hi richcookie.

A really good hotel I stayed in for 3 weeks was Knightsbridge Hotel In Ikeja. Off Toyin street, Really great place.

http://knightsbridgehotels.biz/profile.htm
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by richcookie(m): 3:26am On Oct 05, 2009
german007:

Hi richcookie.

A really good hotel I stayed in for 3 weeks was Knightsbridge Hotel In Ikeja. Off Toyin street, Really great place.

http://knightsbridgehotels.biz/profile.htm

The picture is cool! From your prior stay german007 what other services was included in the rate? Internet etc. Thanks.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by rayray7: 6:33pm On Oct 11, 2009
I must commend your courage, despite all the bad stories about Nigeria. I remember 5 yrs ago, my brother took the money I sent home to buy a building ($40,000) and instead started a business. At the least, part of the business is mine. The business is successful now and he has refused to pay me back or give part of his business to me. I have completely dis-owned him and wish him all sorts of bad luck everyday. Why my story, please be very carefull and keep your best intentions to yourself. Goodluck!
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by prince4lif: 1:52pm On Oct 12, 2009
@ richcookie

I welcome you back home, but to cut your cost and aswell live a comfortable life, I can recommend the Oregun area of Ikeja, the area is secure and have a good road network to every part of lagos. If you are intersted in any property around here, contact me on 08071980711.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by prince4lif: 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2009
@ richcookie

I welcome you back home, but to cut your cost and aswell live a comfortable life, I can recommend the Oregun area of Ikeja, the area is secure and have a good road network to every part of lagos. If you are intersted in any property around here, contact me on 08071980711.
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by kennykane1(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2009
Hello Tayo,

I saw your response to the yankee guy looking to relocate back to 9ja. It appears you are a registered estage agent in Lagos, i am looking to lease a workshop/showroom in Lagos island or Ikeja area, Do you have any idea of the minimal cost?
Re: Best Place To Live In Lagos? Need Your Opinion(abroad 27yrs) by candylips(m): 4:36pm On Oct 12, 2009
great post guys

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Specialization-: On Varieties Of Aluminum Windows, With Embedded Burglary,3 In1 / Painting & Decoration POP And Screeding / Item not available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.