Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad (2552 Views)

Ekiti Governorship Election: Ooni Of Ife Is Sad Over Political Tension / Sad! See This Instagram Page Insulting Black Men / Sad Photos of slavery that would bring you to tears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by scully95: 3:17am On Jul 02, 2016

The Ooni of ife Oba Adeyeye Babatunde Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II has now returned home to Ile Ife. His tour of the USA was well celebrated and well received. The Ooni and his entourage made a point of visiting as many African American and Nigerian events as he could. He visited the Odunde Festival, and was hosted at many galas and receptions. The Sango performance at the Smithsonian Museum was memorable for those in attendance and also the local fire service.

The Ooni also received many guests, including some of the high priests of the Ifa Religion in the USA. All in all , Yorubas in America and everywhere have enjoyed greatly this momentous outing of our dashing, young ,stately Ooni. It was a great success and I feel sure that the ancestors are pleased. The Ooni also attended worship at the Redeemed Christian Church of God in Maryland. This is where the rancour was evoked.

Through the years of colonial oppression and now through the years of the Christian/Muslim Nigerian entity many high profile Yorubas of the last 2 centuries in Nigeria turned their backs on Yoruba Spirituality.

Hope was restored by the enthusiasm and passion of the Kabiyesi Ooni Ogunwusi towards reviving Yoruba culture at home and abroad. Especially because Yoruba culture and spirituality are intertwined. People thought ” good, now we have a young Ooni who will focus on ALL aspects of Yoruba history and culture, who will STAND as the spiritual leader for ALL Yorubas worldwide, and as the biggest defender of Yoruba Spirituality”.

After all, the culture we cherish, the monuments to our past achievements and rich history were all created by our forefathers who knew no other religion except Ifa and Orisa. What we are proud of now, belongs to them. Without any oyinbo interference they created many varieties of art, textiles and political systems which remain to this day, and Ile Ife was their centre point. Ile Ife is historically the custodian territory of Yoruba spirituality, and every ruling Ooni its guardian.That is the role of the Ooni.

Within a short time of ascending the throne , it was clear that whatever spirituality our handsome Ooni was to be the champion of , it wasn’t going to be the traditional Yoruba one. How do you advocate for something you yourself are dismissive of? This picture of the Ooni bowing to God in church was splashed in all the Nigerian media ( gleefully by those who have no love for Yoruba Spirituality).

Photo - Igbakeji Orisa ooni bowing in church

Of course, there is nothing wrong with Ojaja II bowing to God, Yoruba religion is monotheistic, but why a church, people asked. Did the Ooni not believe that God could be paid homage to in any of the many traditional shrines surrounding his palace? Why did he sweep past all of them, head for the church and pose for a photo ? Was he sending a message? To whom? Surely not God…..That controversy raged for a while.

The Ooni before his trip to the USA made strong moves towards promoting Yoruba language , he is to be commended for this but now cynics could ask, if he cannot call the Almighty by his Yoruba name OLODUMARE, and worship Him as OLODUMARE, and sing a song to OLODUMARE on Fathers Day, why should little kids believe any of us when we tell them it’s important to preserve the language . And why do we harp on about Africans giving their kids English names when we Yoruba and our spiritual leader ,have given our OLODUMARE an English name ie Jesus? Doesn’t this make us ( His Majesty included) confused at best , and hypocritical at worst?

Sadly, all of this points to the deep rooted problem of identity within our Yoruba population and African psyche worldwide . It’s a sorry state of affairs to see that not even the identity of our Creator is sacred when it comes to this issue of self esteem. We were very thoroughly re-programmed.

We cheered when Kabiyesi got out of his vehicle and gave Olokun’s blessing on Philadelphia bridge, but his subsequent act in the RCCG venue left people questioning whether this was a perfunctory gesture for the cameras.
Where exactly is our king’s heart spiritually? Should we even be put in a position where we have to question this? I suppose what would be ideal would be to have our Ooni as a true adherent exclusively of the Ifa Aborisa Isese ways to carry out with huge pride the Yoruba spiritual rites and head the Yoruba spiritual festivals, one who will uplift and preserve the religion in all its manifestations and one to whom the millions of Yoruba religion followers in Yorubaland and worldwide, can look to with pride for guidance and as a unifying symbol.

Then Aborisa and Isese followers would not suffer the humiliation of seeing their Igbakeji Orisa singing a Sunday school song with all his heart to the foreign god of the oppressors who took away their freedom, identity and tried cruelly to strip them of their humanity and suppress their religion for centuries.

Anyway if you didn’t see it before, here is a video of Oonirisa Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi singing to Jesus his Father, because Jesus in Christianity is seen as the same as the Creator, the Almighty, though many argue that Jesus is as mythical as Buddha therefore , he (Jesus) is just another deity. Albeit a Jewish one, and clearly the preferred deity of our Oonirisa.

Yoruba Traditional Religion devotees in Nigeria especially are used to being discounted and disregarded but I would call this video a slap in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ojDcNlZ7Y

1 Like

Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by ouigy99(m): 3:34am On Jul 02, 2016
If you dey vex, go and dethrone him Na. He is there trying to promote the yoruba culture and religion and you are there nagging.
Have you heard of what they call religion tolerance? Haven't you seen the Pope in recent years visit other religious houses and have you heard people complain?
Smh

1 Like

Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by scholes0(m): 3:42am On Jul 02, 2016
ouigy99:
If you dey vex, go and dethrone him Na. He is there trying to promote the yoruba culture and religion and you are there nagging.
Have you heard of what they call religion tolerance? Haven't you seen the Pope in recent years visit other religious houses and have you heard people complain?
Smh

How can he be seen as promoting authentic Yoruba culture (Of which Yoruba religion has a strong component in) if he is not seen as being genuine or sincere?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 02, 2016
ouigy99:
Smh

Bad guy
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by ycat: 3:44am On Jul 02, 2016
Like the Pope, Onirisa is the custodian of Yoruba religion and has to travel.
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by sweetgala(m): 3:59am On Jul 02, 2016
ouigy99:
Smh

Oga Ade abeg shut up. The ooni is currently parading himself up and down wanting to be seen and the current social media youth of Nigeria are lapping up his stupid utterances and actions one act at a time while clapping like deranged sea lions.

I can speak with authority on matters of how an ooni should carry himself after all I claim my heritage from the last great ooni anyone can speak of who never missed midweek service at st peters Anglican church iremo but kept his vows as the adimula and custodian of Yoruba heritage so well he was made first African governor of the western region.

Today we have an ooni who before he contested to be king never had a house in Ile Ife , could count on one hand the number of times he slept within Ife for one night. before 2015 when sijuwade died how many people knew who ogunwusi was within Ife.

The Ife and their spellbound Yoruba partners can enjoy their wealthy young swag king while it lasts but know this ,the seat of the ooni would never be same after this, the nature of selection is forever tainted by money and the rule books of who can contest is thrown wide open to twin princes and those from a maternal lineage.

By the way he is yet to display any measure of wealth ife oonis have become known for in the last 200 years. All the last 3 ooni before him were known for stupendous wealth before their ascension to the throne.

I feel jealous of the Edo kingdom

OP I'm waiting for him to come to olojo day and say he does not want to go to Oke mogun to perform his rites which is done in public.

I even heard a song and droning usually reserved for occult ritual precession and sang at dead of night so as to warn any errant person and praise the fearlessness of the ooni like the lion who would devour any lesser animal , anyone not intimated into the cult who see him at such a time would die of headache instantly, it was sung in the middle of the day casually in America .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by babyfaceafrica: 4:02am On Jul 02, 2016
Wetin concern you...its his life,his throne and decision,if you don't like his decision,you know what to do....yeye
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by chachanga: 5:19am On Jul 02, 2016
Dey there dey find person wey go dey behead innocent dogs and pour oil & gin tonic libations for una, your Ooni don port grin grin grin go Redeem Camp!
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by Nobody: 5:35am On Jul 02, 2016
Oduduwa is d father of Yorubas.

#ProudlyYoruba
#GodBlessOduuaNation
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by christopher123(m): 7:01am On Jul 02, 2016
sweetgala:

Oga Ade abeg shut up. The ooni is currently parading himself up and down wanting to be seen and the current social media youth of Nigeria are lapping up his stupid utterances and actions one act at a time while clapping like deranged sea lions.

I can speak with authority on matters of how an ooni should carry himself after all I claim my heritage from the last great ooni anyone can speak of who never missed midweek service at st peters Anglican church iremo but kept his vows as the adimula and custodian of Yoruba heritage so well he was made first African governor of the western region.

Today we have an ooni who before he contested to be king never had a house in Ile Ife , could count on one hand the number of times he slept within Ife for one night. before 2015 when sijuwade died how many people knew who ogunwusi was within Ife.

The Ife and their spellbound Yoruba partners can enjoy their wealthy young swag king while it lasts but know this ,the seat of the ooni would never be same after this, the nature of selection is forever tainted by money and the rule books of who can contest is thrown wide open to twin princes and those from a maternal lineage.

By the way he is yet to display any measure of wealth ife oonis have become known for in the last 200 years. All the last 3 ooni before him were known for stupendous wealth before their ascension to the throne.

I feel jealous of the Edo kingdom

OP I'm waiting for him to come to olojo day and say he does not want to go to Oke mogun to perform his rites which is done in public.

I even heard a song and droning usually reserved for occult ritual precession and sang at dead of night so as to warn any errant person and praise the fearlessness of the ooni like the lion who would devour any lesser animal , anyone not intimated into the cult who see him at such a time would die of headache instantly, it was sung in the middle of the day casually in America .

He even visited obafemi Martin's in his house. .nawa

He even divorced his Yoruba wife to marry an Edo woman ...nawa

He is going around in limousines...kings are visited not been visited

But u still like his swag...always everywhere
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by christopher123(m): 7:02am On Jul 02, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:
Oduduwa is d father of Yorubas.

#ProudlyYoruba
#GodBlessOduuaNation

Bros
Is oduduwa a Benin man
Did he came from heaven
Did he come from somewhere in north Africa

I love history ..pls lecture me sir
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by christopher123(m): 7:04am On Jul 02, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Wetin concern you...its his life,his throne and decision,if you don't like his decision,you know what to do....yeye

Yes it is his life
No it is not his throne
He is answerable to Yoruba people and don't expect them to watch this man mess the Yoruba culture up .

That's my own taking
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 02, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
It is not Ogunwusi's throne or anyone's personal throne. There were many before him and there would be many after him. The throne belongs to the natives of ife and by extension to the yoruba people in Nigeria and abroad. He is still answerable to all the native cults and religions he belongs too e.g ogboni ibile, osoro, ogun, obatala e.t.c olojo would soon be here and he would need to renew his allegiance and oaths to the ife people and other yoruba gods he worships, through the means of various blood sacrifices. All those church stuff na for paparazi. The real stuffs are done behind close doors except olojo thatvis done in the open. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Thank you.
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by sweetgala(m): 8:16am On Jul 02, 2016
christopher123:

He even visited obafemi Martin's in his house. .nawa

He even divorced his Yoruba wife to marry an Edo woman ...nawa

He is going around in limousines...kings are visited not been visited

But u still like his swag...always everywhere

The guy is young and fresh. I've been told the hysteria that follows him is nothing new. People taught Aderemi was superhuman and some believed he could not die

Sijuade was something else.. I mean whenever he went to a party in Ife before he became king he always shut it down. Dude had money like it was pure water
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by babyfaceafrica: 10:09am On Jul 02, 2016
christopher123:

Yes it is his life
No it is not his throne
He is answerable to Yoruba people and don't expect them to watch this man mess the Yoruba culture up .

That's my own taking
he is a Christian...people wey use am know before dem appoint am...if dem know like wetin he dey do make dem remove am....I like him and his ways though!!!!
Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 02, 2016
christopher123:

Bros
Is oduduwa a Benin man
Did he came from heaven
Did he come from somewhere in north Africa

I love history ..pls lecture me sir

Am not here to prove anything.
The Yorubas existed before oduduwa came (from heaven) i presume. He was like the messiah for d yoruba race.
But whether Oduduwa is a benin man or not,or he fell frm heaven or not.. i will rather accept him as our father than accept the "WHITE" jesus..peace.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oonirisa Did This, And Made 20 Million People Sad by OPCNAIRALAND: 12:48pm On Jul 02, 2016
We are tired of the isms, chisms, Dana go to heaven in Jesus name.
Bob Marley.

(1) (Reply)

3rd Generation Nigerians Abroad / Colourful Reed Dance And Cultural Celebration That Promotes Respect For Women / The Hypocrisy Of The Modern African

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.