Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers (56007 Views)

A Marriage List Given To A Man In Akwa Ibom (Screenshot) / Man To Divorce His Wife In Ondo For Failing To Cook For Him. Photos / My Wife Is Not What I Thought Before We Got Married: I Want To Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by larion: 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
Joavid:

in Africa, women must always make the sacrifices and compromises in marriage for it to work abi, while the man does as he pleases.

clap for ya sef. you don gather likes from male chauvinists like your self.

Aunty... That's not what I meant, please read my response to anetuno above....I can't give two people same corrections.

Did you read when I asked Ade to understand his marriage and not use Jack's template, is that not a male sacrifice abi shey Ade na woman, did you read wen I said the nigerian man will be asking for trouble if he is expecting 50% contribution from his wife, is that not a male sacrifice.....

Did you read when I said I don't support Teebillz , did you read wen I said Tiwa savage shouldn't have locked d wedding since Teebillz ain't responsible.

Come off it, I am not the type that is looking for likes on Nairaland or fighting up and down.... Just try to read.

Now read my post above to anetuno so you can also do your corrections since you equally have problem with English comprehension and also failed summary.

Don't expect further response if you quote me again.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by theEYe21(f): 4:22pm On Jul 03, 2016
anetuno:

What a story! You know we are such hypocrites that people are applauding you. The principles involved in marriage are becoming more and more universal and I wonder why you think these observations made in this article are out of place in Nigeria because you think our own women should be ready to take all the abuse and mistreatment that nineteenth century wives endured from characters like you so that their marriage will succeed while the men will excuse themselves and continue to pull in a different direction.
You have to realize that Nigerian women are now getting the kind of education that their western counterparts get and are now more gainfully employed like their western counterparts so the issues of marital challenges are similar and make this piece relevant.
People like you have to shed the toga of 'I am an African man and my wife must obey whatever I say and has no right to make any input and if the marriage fails it is her fault and I can go ahead and take another wife'. This is twenty-first century and we must learn and share ideas that will make things work out for us. Your idea that Nigerian marriages should be cast in iron and it is the duty of the woman to make it work is fantastically outdated.
I will advise those that are liking your post to read through the entire piece and take whatever they may find useful and apply it in their marriage and relationship, this piece doesn't claim to be a manual of how to make marriages work.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by theEYe21(f): 4:24pm On Jul 03, 2016
Joavid:

in Africa, women must always make the sacrifices and compromises in marriage for it to work abi, while the man does as he pleases.

clap for ya sef. you don gather likes from male chauvinists like your self.

Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by josite: 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
if they have contempt for each other then divorce is imminent cus contempt will make the spouse team up with the enemy or even sleep with the enemy of the other spouse.

Why marriage endures till the very end is a knowing that one cannot be complete without the other ,which even pastor chris and his ex were unable to attain.accepting marriage is commitment and not a feeling makes all the difference.now spouse leaves the moment they no longer feel they are still in love .
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by theEYe21(f): 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2016
larion:

Baba! Did you have problems with your English comprehension teacher in primary skool?

Likely serious?

Did you read when I said the key to marriage is understanding. Can you point out where I said a woman to accept everything and a man should unleash all the terror.

Which principle of marriage is universal when there is still something called culture. Did you read when I said Tiwa should have know that Teebillz is a useless man and not lock the marriage in the first place.

Exactly where did I paint I am African man and my wife must obey or where did I picture taking another wife?

Did you read when I said the man provides 100% of every every and the wife just drop 30% max despite the fact that she balance well, how is this enslaving the woman.

I never painted a marriage of cast in iron and duty of the woman to make it work, what I painted was UNDERSTANDING.

You are talking like I am supporting the men, but did you read where I wrote that a Nigerian man will be a dunce for expecting 50% from his wife, with this statement I was telling the men to make there marriages work.

With the statement of Tuface and Peter and Teebillz, I was talking to the women to be understanding once they are in, cos it the women who go about running there mouth in most cases.

Did you read when I said Ade should not use Jack's template else his marriage will crash, is this not holding the men responsible or shey Ade na woman.

In the post, I held both men and women responsible, but you are not smart enough to read and comprehend, good luck since you have chosen to use a universal principle to guide your marriage when culture is still existing .

Its because of people like you who had issues with there English comprehension teacher in primary school I included this phrase " mark my words every body in the house understands...this should be the key to marriage survival....Understanding!"

But despite that, you couldn't mark my word and understand.....

Since your failed English summary in SS3 (that's if you are not even a jss2 kid at the moment) I will help you with the summary of my writeup:

1) Every marriage is unique and peculiar

2) Understanding is key

3) Watch your partner before marriage, of you can't take wat he/she does, don't lock the marriage.

These are the correct answers to the summary, your answer of marriages should be cast in iron and it is the duty of the woman to make it work and I am an African man, my wife must obey will score you zero in a summary test.

I know your type, you just wanna be a critic and u don't settle down to analyse and use your brain. I won't be surprise if you didn't read my post complete. You just jumped to answer and now you have scored 0/100

Now go do your corrections and be a good boy. FYI don't expect further reply from my....I have schooled you enough.

See you later...
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 03, 2016
Greatzeus:
Posts like these is another opportunity for bachelors and spinsters to learn and prepare and make necessary adjustments.
No.8 though must couples fight ?
Fighting is a form of communication, I don't mean verbal abuse or physical assault!
But couples need to communicate their differences, and dissatisfaction totally in a mature healthy way.
I would be a disagreement or even hard talks either way it's necessary
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by anetuno(m): 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2016
larion:

Baba! Did you have problems with your English comprehension teacher in primary skool?

Likely serious?

Did you read when I said the key to marriage is understanding. Can you point out where I said a woman to accept everything and a man should unleash all the terror.

Which principle of marriage is universal when there is still something called culture. Did you read when I said Tiwa should have know that Teebillz is a useless man and not lock the marriage in the first place.

Exactly where did I paint I am African man and my wife must obey or where did I picture taking another wife?

Did you read when I said the man provides 100% of every every and the wife just drop 30% max despite the fact that she balance well, how is this enslaving the woman.

I never painted a marriage of cast in iron and duty of the woman to make it work, what I painted was UNDERSTANDING.

You are talking like I am supporting the men, but did you read where I wrote that a Nigerian man will be a dunce for expecting 50% from his wife, with this statement I was telling the men to make there marriages work.

With the statement of Tuface and Peter and Teebillz, I was talking to the women to be understanding once they are in, cos it the women who go about running there mouth in most cases.

Did you read when I said Ade should not use Jack's template else his marriage will crash, is this not holding the men responsible or shey Ade na woman.

In the post, I held both men and women responsible, but you are not smart enough to read and comprehend, good luck since you have chosen to use a universal principle to guide your marriage when culture is still existing .

Its because of people like you who had issues with there English comprehension teacher in primary school I included this phrase " mark my words every body in the house understands...this should be the key to marriage survival....Understanding!"

But despite that, you couldn't mark my word and understand.....

Since your failed English summary in SS3 (that's if you are not even a jss2 kid at the moment) I will help you with the summary of my writeup:

1) Every marriage is unique and peculiar

2) Understanding is key

3) Watch your partner before marriage, of you can't take wat he/she does, don't lock the marriage.

These are the correct answers to the summary, your answer of marriages should be cast in iron and it is the duty of the woman to make it work and I am an African man, my wife must obey will score you zero in a summary test.

I know your type, you just wanna be a critic and u don't settle down to analyse and use your brain. I won't be surprise if you didn't read my post complete. You just jumped to answer and now you have scored 0/100

Now go do your corrections and be a good boy. FYI don't expect further reply from my....I have schooled you enough.

See you later...

All your posts are so incoherent and erratic that whatever sense you think you are making is nullified when you started out by claiming the piece is rubbish and crap. Why can't you just have the decency to read through the piece and make intelligent comments without rubbishing it. I am not going to continue to join issues with whatever you are going to post because you sound very toxic, negative and full of insults. You have not managed to show that you write good English because I could see blunders litter your post yet you are struggling to fault my English. Just get of this post if you have nothing useful to offer other than looking for cheap likes.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by larion: 5:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
anetuno:

All your posts are so incoherent and erratic that whatever sense you think you are making is nullified when you started out by claiming the piece is rubbish and crap. Why can't you just have the decency to read through the piece and make intelligent comments without rubbishing it. I am not going to continue to join issues with whatever you are going to post because you sound very toxic, negative and full of insults. You have not managed to show that you write good English because I could see blunders litter your post yet you are struggling to fault my English. Just get of this post if you have nothing useful to offer other than looking for cheap likes.

@ bolded guilty as charged and I make apologies.

@ writing good English you should be aware that I am typing with a phone and autocorrection is the order of the day, of which I have edited long before you made your comments, I posted quick before editing so as to serve you appropriate response in quick succession .

For you who can write good English, try using good paragraphing and punctuation so we can read your write-ups clearly.

Don't also forget good reverencing so you won't be arrested for plagiarism.

You are free to use universal principle for your marriage despite the word culture still existing...... That one na ya wahala.

As to looking for cheap likes, please take time if you have to study all my comments on Nairaland and see if I solicit for likes, I contribute my own and move on.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by priscaoge(f): 5:33pm On Jul 03, 2016
kulekaa:
face ur life n let Tiwa n T 2b tnk u

Lol.... It's not that serious, so calm down Bro
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by FireKing: 8:12pm On Jul 03, 2016
Well you all have said so much but let me say dis i'm not trying to be bias here........ Untill ladies stop comparing their guys to other guys......Even themselves to other girls we will neva have a peaceful marriage in NIJA,AFRICA.For example, if my friend Tessy cud get married to a rich guy and this tessy i know am better than 20 times.....keep quiet and jst listen to urself. Ladies day and nite you dream of a very RICH guy for a husband & finally you get married becos of money, no single love for the guy in question....later on u get tired of the man only find out money is not the only thing u need in life after getting enough of it.Then u say,i wish i married that guy i truly love but u rejected him despite his good xters just becos he was poor.Girls dont give a damn about good,kind,loving,peaceful,respectable guy that is POOR but as far as say the guy get money no problem(but wahala dey).Girls, learn to marry because of love & struggle to huzzle wit ur man for GOD will always provide. For MEN,we dey Bleep up at times becos sometimes when we have a good girl in our lives who struggles wit us when we had nothing....when d money comes na then we go know say one fine fresh girl dey one coner,then send the good one away wey huzzle wit us & say she is now a old cargo..we guys should love our ladies d best way we can, encourage,,support and appreciate their effort as a wife becos every marriage as its own up and down.A TRUE LOVE IN MARRIAGE IS THE ABILITY FOR BOTH(MAN & WIFE) TO LOVE AND SWALLOW THE NEGATIVITY OF EACH OTHER AND APPRECIATE THE POSITIVITY OF EACH OTHER......LETS BUILD A BETTER HOME LIKE OUR PARENTS IN THE PAST kiss kiss kiss
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by Nkysuccess(f): 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
anetuno:

What a story! You know we are such hypocrites that people are applauding you. The principles involved in marriage are becoming more and more universal and I wonder why you think these observations made in this article are out of place in Nigeria because you think our own women should be ready to take all the abuse and mistreatment that nineteenth century wives endured from characters like you so that their marriage will succeed while the men will excuse themselves and continue to pull in a different direction.
You have to realize that Nigerian women are now getting the kind of education that their western counterparts get and are now more gainfully employed like their western counterparts so the issues of marital challenges are similar and make this piece relevant.
People like you have to shed the toga of 'I am an African man and my wife must obey whatever I say and has no right to make any input and if the marriage fails it is her fault and I can go ahead and take another wife'. This is twenty-first century and we must learn and share ideas that will make things work out for us. Your idea that Nigerian marriages should be cast in iron and it is the duty of the woman to make it work is fantastically outdated.
I will advise those that are liking your post to read through the entire piece and take whatever they may find useful and apply it in their marriage and relationship, this piece doesn't claim to be a manual of how to make marriages work.
You are very correct. Ten gbosa for you
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by PinketteDawn: 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2016
Greatzeus:
Posts like these is another opportunity for bachelors and spinsters to learn and prepare and make necessary adjustments.

'Fight' in this sense is not exchange of blows or physical violence. It is more like exchange of words, argument's, outbursts, venting.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by PinketteDawn: 11:36pm On Jul 03, 2016
Greatzeus:

'Fight' in this sense is not exchange of blows or physical violence. It is more like exchange of words, arguments, outbursts, venting.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by PinketteDawn: 11:48pm On Jul 03, 2016
JoeCutie:
To those who put all their hopes in marriage, thinking that marriage is the ultimate source of happiness, you might wanna have a rethink. If you always want and wait for someone to come and make you happy, then you're really not living...just existing. Find what makes you happy and do it to the letter. Be happy, that's the ultimate thing you owe yourself. And for the records, marriage hasn't always brought about that happiness. Going into marriage is like admitting to yourself that "Yes, I'm now ready to compromise (everything)". If you're not ready for marriage, do not get married. Do not get married because "all my mates are married". And for what's worth, love isn't the most ideal reason to get married. I, for one, will never marry for love. Why? Love alone is not enough.

In an era where divorce is the order of the day, a couple - a very old one - are seen here doing their thing: married, living and loving. If you really wanna get married, stay married and happy, and grow old with your partner, be ready to tolerate and compromise. Imagine a divorce free generation...it begins with you (not your partner)

Love is enough. Infact, love is all you need to make a marriage work. I agree with every other thing you have said here 100% except for that part. If you have ever lived in a loveless marriage, you will understand what I mean. Love is everything in a marriage. It is love that will make both spouses tolerate, understand, work together, be selfless, respect each other and compromise. It is love that will make both spouses go the extra mile for each other. The love I am talking about is TRUE LOVE. It is not based in money, beauty, intelligence or success.
Mind you, the love has to come from both spouses, not from one.
Funny enough, I used to think like you that love is not enough...lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by KenModi(m): 9:18am On Jul 04, 2016
Greatzeus:

Yes, they must fight, else one or both partners are pretending or hiding their feelings.

N.B: By fighting, the OP and I mean disagreements or quarrels, not actual fighting or exchanging of punches. grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by KenModi(m): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2016
priscaoge:
9. They have Edible Catering outside their marriage

This comment got me cracking.

TeeBillz wld no reply you hi or hello when or if you guys meet.. grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by KenModi(m): 9:33am On Jul 04, 2016
Clone2020:
Number 8 and number 1 contradict each other. How can you say it's bad to give silent treatment and bickering then you say it's also good to fight??

Fight but settle you disagreements amicably and as fast as possible. Don't go to bed with anger against your spouse in your heart.

That is the bridge between both Number 1 and 8.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by bukatyne(f): 11:16am On Jul 04, 2016
larion:
Rubbish!

Unacceptable crap.

Just look at d post, California, Florida, New York, Illinois.... Bla bla.

One reason why Nigerians marriages don't last is because they use oyinbo man template.

This is why I call the above rubbish.

Example, even in south Africa here, the rule is wife brings 50%, husband brings 50%, either for rent, or food or children's school fees.

But in Nigeria, Husband brings 100%, its when the wife balance well that she can contribute her own, max 30% in most cases. Now imagine a naija man vexing for his naija wife because she didn't drop 50% for the money to buy milk and junior's school fees......is that marriage not destined to fail.

Nonsense! In oyinbo man land, some wife are permitted to have s*x with other men as long as she informs her husband before the did is done nd so also the husband ca romance other women as long as he informs the wife....Point number 6 above, maybe this can be called respecting each others love language.... But a wife expecting to be screwed by another man while telling his husband in naija is destined to see trouble.

Career before family..... Crap! If that is what is gonna put food on the table and everybody in the house understands then so be it.....mark my words every body in the house understands...this should be the key to marriage survival....Understanding!

Annie idibia and Lola okoye understands the kind of husband they have , to God be the glory...their marriages are still waxing strong. Tiwa savage refused to understand that she will keep working and Teebillz will keep spending and not contributing, she refused to understand that Teebillz will still be chasing others, I'm not saying it's good, but she should have known before locking the marriage .....what has happened today, the marriage is out of the window.

Are you telling me Peter okoye or 2 face has not done some on the silly things Teebillz did? Did we hear noise outside? There was a picture of Tuface kissing Pero after his wedding with Annie, bloggers so much posted that pixs, but did there marriage fail? NO!

I can go on and on....but bottom line is let's try to sieve wat we consume, every marriage is unique, what works in jacks marriage might not work in Ade's marriage.

But wen Ade is trying to use jacks own template as his own, then Ade is looking for trouble. Most marriages crash because some couples have been painting this idea from what they read in novels and watch on TV, paloma and Diego, gardeners daughter and telemundo.

After painting this sweet picture in their heads, they go into their weddings looking for the "happily ever after" which in most cases is not existing.....and once dey go through episode 3 season 5 of their marriages, they start thinking divorce.......

At OP, una nor fit just come dey copy everything for internet dump for nairaland.... Imagine California, Illinois and Florida in your post, to people in Lagos, Enugu and kano reading on Nairaland..... No be trouble una dey find.

Some stupid girls and boys who are married and have been coping with their spouse's tight schedule at work will read point 4 and wires will spark and start thinking of how to fight their spouse for putting career before family....forgetting that in this unique naija economy that might be the only way to put good food on the table. Whereas, the oyinbo man in Florida has most things done well by the govt already and doesn't need to overwork.

Just use your head and think ahead....each marriage is peculiar ......

I very much agree with you.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by teebillz: 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2016
KenModi:

This comment got me cracking.

TeeBillz wld no reply you hi or hello when or if you guys meet.. grin

Don't mind her.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by chineloSA(f): 10:33pm On Jan 03, 2017
Good piece
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by Everblazinggg(f): 11:53am On Jan 04, 2017
K
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by Everblazinggg(f): 11:56am On Jan 04, 2017
K
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by Bluffly: 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2017
yazz09:

you are wrong. silent treatment is not and can never be healthy in a marriage. while silent treatment is equivalent to ignoring your spouse, fighting is opening up your frustration to your spouse thereby making him/her know how you feel. fighting in a marriage is not Mortal Kombat kind of fighting, but making your point known and striving to resolving the issue b4 sunset.
It is important that we live understandably. Silent may be bad and can as well be used positively, in the sense that the erring spouse also thinks that there is need to apologise. Many spouse don't even think at all. They rather talk than to evaluate their thoughts before making utterances. Some spouse unceccesarily bring issues up when obviously there is no issue, and the other decides to be quiet rather than fanning the unwarranted and emotionally driving unseen issue.

Some people thinks communication in marriage means to just talk and talk thereby talking garbage and creating garbage.

Some spouses have decided to be deaf to avoid issues because when they talk the other only thinks of replying rather than understanding and when you just think of replying you say what is not there.

The poster talked about sex while in most cases wives are the culprits and that is because they get entangled with unwarranted issues at that point as if it's just the husbands business. Wives should learn to drop issues and enjoy sex with their husbands.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by zeb04(f): 8:54pm On Jan 04, 2017
I really need to learn how to have a good fight then

I always bottle it up and then say this r/ship is not working again.

most of my exes been wondering what they did wrong.
Re: 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers by ststyreal(f): 11:09pm On Feb 15, 2017
Greatzeus:
Yes, it is unavoidable!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Polyandry: Outcry Over South Africa’s Multiple Husbands Proposal / Look At This Woman's Freezer, A MUST SEE!!! / Caption This Children Photo !! ( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.