Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Have Ever Been Sold A Refurbished Laptop For The Price Of A New One? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Have Ever Been Sold A Refurbished Laptop For The Price Of A New One? (1455 Views)

How To Identify A Refurbished Laptop / HP Envy M6 For Sale And Dell Inspiron 15 (Up date the HP has been SOLD) / Tip On Getting Used/refurbished Laptops From Comp. Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have Ever Been Sold A Refurbished Laptop For The Price Of A New One? by cnnmagic: 4:58pm On Nov 30, 2006
Hello, comrades! This is the time to fight the bad guys. Our only version of the 'Silicon Valley', the Computer Village in Otigba, Ikeja is under attack by crooked traders who sell Refurbished Laptops as new ones to unsuspecting customers. This has been creating bad publicity for both Computer Village and Nigeria as a country. The situation has gotten so bad that the Computer Village has become known as a zone where refurbished laptops are passed off as new ones.
Most annoying is the fact that Refurbished Laptops as well as other gadgets can actually be marketed the way they are- Refurbished- since they come quite cheaper than the new ones from manufacturers. So why would anyone want to greedily profit by giving false information to earn unjust profit.

ACTION: Lets fight this trend by exposing traders in Computer Village and anywhere that sells or has sold Refurbished Laptops as new to you, a friend, relative or colleague. Kindly make availaible if handy his Business or Shop name and address, Phone Number,Personal Name, Scanned Copy of Reciepts or Invioces acknowledging the transaction,and correct Serial number of the Laptop.

This would be published in a foremost Newspaper in the country and otherĀ  dailles subsequently, as these fight continues. Sincere, Public-InterestĀ  motivated Journalists reporting in the sector of ICT/Technology are joining this fight. So please, give your support in this regard and be ready to join in the part (II) of this crusade which will be focused against the sales of KILLER Computers with expired Monitor tubes in the country!
Re: Have Ever Been Sold A Refurbished Laptop For The Price Of A New One? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 01, 2006
The only way somebody will sell a refurbished laptop to you as new is if you dont know what to look for. No matter what anybody tells you, a new laptop should have:

1. The carton/packing box, boldly emblazoned with the manufatrurer's logos
2. Power cord, other cables, in shrink-wrapped nylon
3. Instruction manuals such as easy-setup, user warranty documents etc in shrink-wrapped, tamper proof nylon
4. The laptop itself will smell new (dont we all know the smell of new plastic?)
5. The holes for the screws on the underside shoukd have no scratch marks (forceful opening/repair attempts)
6. There is always a serial number on the box which should match the one printed on the underside of the laptop

Trust me, laptops are not cheap, so if you think you are making a deal by buying something for lower than you should, maybe somebody is swavving you. If your "new" laptop does not have these things i mentioned, then it might not be new. Challenge the seller and ask for them.

1 Like

Re: Have Ever Been Sold A Refurbished Laptop For The Price Of A New One? by Cchuks27(m): 11:42am On Apr 05, 2022
While my reply is coming years later, its still important to lend a voice to this menace. I recently bought a refurbished desktop computer via konga.com. By the time I realized it was refurbished, weeks and months had already gone by thereby I couldn't initiate the return policy. I blame myself for making such a terrible mistake.

For those in the business of swindling others, I pray you change, unless God will punish you greatly.
Re: Have Ever Been Sold A Refurbished Laptop For The Price Of A New One? by Deicide: 2:16pm On Apr 05, 2022
Cchuks27:
While my reply is coming years later, its still important to lend a voice to this menace. I recently bought a refurbished desktop computer via konga.com. By the time I realized it was refurbished, weeks and months had already gone by thereby I couldn't initiate the return policy. I blame myself for making such a terrible mistake.

For those in the business of swindling others, I pray you change, unless God will punish you greatly.
Same thing also happened to me. I thought it was new. It's when it had fault and I took it for repair they told me it's refurbished.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Not available / Please My People : How To Download Music <<Locked>> / Can I Use Glo Always Macro On Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.