Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Before You Rent That House!!! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Before You Rent That House!!! (36073 Views)

Before You Build That House, Before You Spend That Money! / Warning! Don't Pay That Rent Or Buy That House Without Us. / Warning! Don't Pay That Rent Or Buy That House Without Us. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Rent That House!!! by Oooops: 1:43pm On Jul 02, 2016
This is especially for my brothers and sisters in the everyday hustle... Lagos as a case study!
After gathering money for months and you finally decide that you want to rent another apartment and upgrade your status, which is of course a very good thing! Please put this into consideration!
This is an advice from my few months experience staying in Lagos and meeting with clients... Now enough of much talk!

Please, When you get that dream house of yours, I know d compound is cool, the rooms are big, and the neighbour's daughter is very pretty! But NEVER FAIL TO ASK FOR THE NEPA BILL/PREPAID RECEIPT OF THE HOUSE.

This is my point... I've seen many people rent a house after which they receive their bills for the next month and see an arrears of hundred's of thousands... some even more than the money used in renting the house! Trust me... NEPA bills are attached to properties and not individuals hence a former tenant can accrue debts and move out of the apartment while u Innocently go and rent it. The agents/Landlord will not show u the bill... You have to insist on seeing it.. else the bills will be on you as the new tenant and you will be held liable by NEPA... Afterall na u dem meet there...

This also applies to prepaid users. You may feel its prepaid meter... Some of those meters have accrued arrears. This is how it works. When a bill owes so much, and a prepaid meter is bought or given to the premises, The debts from the bill is factored into the prepaid meter and scheduled to be paid within a specific period of time, E.G

Benson owes 200k before he got a prepaid meter, NEPA (d distribution companies) wants to assist Benson since he can't clear it once, They factor the money into his meter say for 20months... That means Benson will be paying 10k as debt every month aside his normal recharge for the month!
So Benson moves out and you move in to meet a prepaid meter which makes you happy, only to recharge and discover you have a debt of 10k which you are to pay every month for a long time!!!

This you should put into consideration cos I have seen so many people in debt not incurred by them.

Have a lovely weekend

184 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Kakamorufu(m): 2:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
duly noted. Thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by danowena: 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2016
Oooops:

Lalasticlala

Very nice advise but u need to tidy up the writing. Too many repetitions. I kept getting lost whilst reading.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Oooops: 2:26pm On Jul 02, 2016
danowena:

Very nice advise but u need to tidy up the writing. Too many repetitions. I kept getting lost whilst reading.
Modified... Thank You!!!

3 Likes

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Shinelle(f): 9:24pm On Jul 02, 2016
Reading this piece was quite expository. Esp the prepaid meter part.. wow! #smh for debtors though

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Mopricelezz(f): 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
Insightful

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by teacherbim(f): 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
Nice 1
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Olasco93: 9:36pm On Jul 02, 2016
It's not just in Lagos alone, this thing happens in all the States of the Federation. It's advisable for one to pay for Electricity Bill incured and when the Bill is more than what you consume, complain to the necessary authority.
Above all, I think Prepaid meter is cheaper and better for an individual apartment.

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Flexherbal(m): 9:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
Good one, OP.
Thanks!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by sleemoon(m): 9:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
Bravo.. Tnx for dis OP... Would definitely look out for ur points wen renting my next apartment nxt month

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by oodua1stson: 9:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
Good point. But I did not even ask for it in my new apartment angry

I just hope theres no gbese on the meter sha

And i ni even ready to move into the apartment I rented sef
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 02, 2016
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by aity2011(m): 9:39pm On Jul 02, 2016
Gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Layooluwa(f): 9:39pm On Jul 02, 2016
Chai!!! Op, why you come expose us like this na?? sad.

#Just joking
Op, nice one.cheesy
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by crunchyg: 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
Ar u kidding me shocked
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by bammo: 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
wow....didn't really think of this
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by missKiffy(f): 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
Quite true, it's sad how some pple owe so much debt for nepa bills without paying b4 they leave
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by blacktwist(m): 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
lasgidi!!!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by pragmatistm(m): 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
True talk.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by codemaniacs: 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
You're wrong about prepaid meters.. It uses card once the credit on the card has finished the light goes off...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by histemple: 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
Very true
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Philomath1212: 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
Nepa bill or ikedc or ekdc bill. when will Nepa get out of nigerians mouth?
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Dabigbroda(m): 9:42pm On Jul 02, 2016
ok
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by bettercreature(m): 9:42pm On Jul 02, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Kentiman(m): 9:43pm On Jul 02, 2016
This is very true and yet very bitter. I've experienced it when in school. Paid 50k for lodge and later discovered the bill was 150k. I was ruined. And now, my babe is experiencing it.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Christine01(f): 9:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
This piece be making sense!

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Dom2020: 9:45pm On Jul 02, 2016
this exactly what i'm going through, after paying for a house somewhere in move in only to discover that the former occupant left over a 100k arrears for me to pay. I just call my landlord and told him that i'm not gonna pay a dime on light in that flat on till I leave the place, been using generator and solar since then

4 Likes

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by arusoncd(m): 9:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
Best post lf the week, thanks, dude.

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by djlaqua91(m): 9:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
OP also for riverine people especially lagosians try to check the property you're renting during the rainy season or ask around. The dry season can deceive you. The rainy season will display the true nature of the area. Ciao.

6 Likes

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by arusoncd(m): 9:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
Best post of the week, thanks, dude.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 02, 2016
Very true,my new house has over 100k arrears, but the landlord cleared it..else I won't pay next rent,if am the one that did the clearing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sherwin Williams Paints Now In Nigeria (number 1 In US & Number 3 In The World). / Architect Turns Old Cement Factory Into His Home / Building In Nigeria: Lessons Learned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.