Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,457 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:47 PM

Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid (31142 Views)

Here Are 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Completely Untrue / Mercedes-Benz Is Phasing Out V-6 Engines In Favor Of Inline-6s / Car Models You Should Avoid As Second Or Third Handed Acquisition.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by dadee007(m): 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2016
Honda builds aircraft engines, why would they be there? Google it if you doubt it.
lonelydora:
Yeepa! Honda engine is not among.

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by Readonee35L(m): 3:51pm On Jul 03, 2016
corneli83:

I know of one and that's 1MZ, 2MZ was initiated in 2002 for Camry while they used 3MZ for RX300 and other V6 3.0 vehicles of same year till 2006.
Please expand your own point and let's learn from you.
Rx300 has a 1mz not 3mz
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by mytym(m): 6:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
boldx:

Here is my evidence that this is a recycled topic.
https://www.nairaland.com/2879000/here-8-engines-avoid

Topics like this worth recycling. It's not news.
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by Kaslino(m): 8:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
luvinhubby:
So true.

That 1999 Camry V6 engine (tiny light) dealt with me.
Accumulated sludge despite regular oil change & had to replace the engine.

I'm surprised cos i drive my mum's '98 Sienna LE bought in december 2012 and till date,it has not given any major issue,aside the AC that was worked on in April 2015.Whenever i take it to the mechanic for servicing,all he does is change the oil and i'm good to go,even though other car owners do ask "why sienna too dey leak oil"? I think constant servicing is key,especially to older models of the late 90s.For instance,the car hardly went a month without a visit to the mechanic.This year broke the record for the longest time it has gone without a visit to the mechanic or car wash-April till date after a trip to Abia state and back to Lagos.It is definitely overdue for servicing but i'm amazed by its efficiency.Besides,its mileage is currently at 232070,having clocked 232000 miles last tuesday.I so much love that car,unlike her previous chrysler voyager SE that made a journey of a day last for 3days due to incessant over heating.
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by predatorX: 11:49pm On Jul 03, 2016
dadee007:
Honda builds aircraft engines, why would they be there? Google it if you doubt it.

But their transmissions are like bicycle spokes. ACCORD EOD v6, don't go near it at all, after 90k miles
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by G8Arthur(m): 7:44am On Jul 04, 2016
So this is why sienna and Lexus rs300 are dat cheap? Mtcheeww! Ignorance is disastrous oo
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by princefaculty(m): 11:43am On Jul 04, 2016
symbianDON:

in all honesty I never knew that particular engine was troublesome

These are mere opinions but they may turn out to be true if the user turns out to be a careless as well. There have been this ascertion that V6 engines are troublesome but I've come to discover that they are mere hearsays considering how trouble-free my Toyota Camry V6 3.0L 1MZ-FE engine have been the past four years I acquired her till date and she still responds to any step on the pedal like bolt. The only difference is her level of fuel consumption which is relatively higher than a four plug Camry but in speed and engine response V6 stands out and that is why I love her.

If you do the needful as at when required I assure you won't have any regret but if you take things that pertain your car with a carefree attitude even a 'one plug' car if there is any will be problematic to you. So use and maintenance are great determiners in what you get out of whatever you have

Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by Colls: 5:28pm On Jul 04, 2016
My Rowland

Kindly refund my cash ,i have returned your headlamps to you
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by Colls: 5:38pm On Jul 04, 2016
Mr Rowland -Luvin Hubby

Kindly refund my cash ,i have returned your headlamps and your confirmed you have gotten it

You dont even pick my calls,is this how you do business?

I have sent you my account number,kindly credit it

I will be forced to take this matter to another level

Kindly act immediately
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by rockiedink(m): 12:23pm On Jul 05, 2016
Even the most reliable engine built with German precision, Korean voodoo and Japanese efficiency will kaput if you treat it poorly.

So to just come out and generalise by saying avoid so and so engines...it's taking it a tad too far.

I use a 2002 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE and currently my odometer is at 249000+ miles. I do my oil change religiously, listen intently to the sounds emanating from under the hood a the suspension, and make sure I treat it right.

I can happily say it's never failed me and is still rearing to go on for another 10 years!

Maintenance is Key!
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by DonnyE(m): 5:39pm On Jan 24, 2020
ExpressBooking:

Very True my bro. there are two models of 1MZ-FE, both are 3.0L V6 The early ones without VVT-I found is 1998-2000 Sienna, 1997-2003 Camry V6.
The ones with VVT-I are found on 2002-2003 Lexus ES300, 2001-2003 Highlander, 2001-2003 Sienna, and 2000-2004 Avalon.

someone said 3MZ-FE is 3.0L found on Lexus RX300. that's not true. 3MZ-FE is a 3.3L V6 engine with VVT-I found on 2004-2006 RX330,2004-2010 Sienna, 2004-2006 ES330, 2004-2007 Highlander and some 2005-2006 Camry V6.

also the old 4runner I think has a 3.6L V6 engine not 3.5L V6. The most common 3.5L V6 engine Toyota have is 2GR-FE which was used in 2007-2016 Camry V6,2005-2016 Avalon, All models of RX350, ES350, 2011-2016 Sienna and 2008-2016 Highlander V6
Educative. But, is it both models of the 1MZ FE that have the sludge problem? Does the 2003 es300 have it? Or older models of the engine?
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by mh53(m): 2:44pm On Jun 25, 2020
DonnyE:

Educative. But, is it both models of the 1MZ FE that have the sludge problem? Does the 2003 es300 have it? Or older models of the engine?
to the best of my knowledge, 1mz Fe in the ES300 is the VVTi equipped variant which is an interference engine. My present daily driver uses that same engine, Just stick to 5w 30 engine oil and change regularly. You will be alright, 20w 50 oil worsens the sludge buildup in these engines and should be avoided at all costs.
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by Conductor261: 3:10pm On Jun 25, 2020
Zoharariel:
No any Bmw engine on that list? Ok, Shinabole! grin
When you were young
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by dicksonadams(m): 6:49pm On Jul 29, 2022
mh53:
to the best of my knowledge, 1mz Fe in the ES300 is the VVTi equipped variant which is an interference engine. My present daily driver uses that same engine, Just stick to 5w 30 engine oil and change regularly. You will be alright, 20w 50 oil worsens the sludge buildup in these engines and should be avoided at all costs.

How is the engine now
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by mh53(m): 10:18pm On Jul 29, 2022
dicksonadams:

How is the engine now
Still running perfectly. It has proven to be a bullet proof - reliability wise. It's just the valve cover gaskets that have started to seep engine oil a bit but it has no effect on its performance - I guess it's due to the mileage of the car. It's almost 193k miles as of today. Still servicing it with 5w 30 engine oil. My mechanic was impressed when he saw how clean the internals were.
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by dicksonadams(m): 9:01am On Jul 30, 2022
mh53:
Still running perfectly. It has proven to be a bullet proof - reliability wise. It's just the valve cover gaskets that have started to seep engine oil a bit but it has no effect on its performance - I guess it's due to the mileage of the car. It's almost 193k miles as of today. Still servicing it with 5w 30 engine oil. My mechanic was impressed when he saw how clean the internals were.
Hmmm, and at the mileage My mech recommends something thicker, like 20w50

, interesting

But how do you handle the timing belt flaw 9f the engine, in order to avoid a catastrophic engine damage if it cuts
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by 9icetoo(m): 12:59pm On Jul 30, 2022
dicksonadams:

, interesting

But how do you handle the timing belt flaw 9f the engine, in order to avoid a catastrophic engine damage if it cuts
The timing belt design is not a flaw.

That's the design.

Many engines were designed with and still use timing belt.
If your engine is not burning oil in appreciable quantities, there is no point in using a thicker oil which will form sludge in your engine.

The timing belts are meant to be changed every few years or after a certain mileage.

7 years and 100k miles should be normal on original belts and accessories (rollers, tensioners and water pump).
Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by mh53(m): 7:42pm On Jul 31, 2022
dicksonadams:

, interesting

Mine doesn’t have an oil consumption issue, it’s still as quiet as the day i took delivery of it because i chose to stick to the manufacturer’s recommended oil grade. I ordered mine through a trusted contact who is a dealer and he showed me the lot number of the vehicle on copart prior to purchase for me to give my greenlight. The original owner kept service records - of oil change intervals and other recommended service items, that’s how i knew the timing belt was changed @ 143k miles. Toyota’s official replacement interval is about 100k miles, so i know a timing belt replacement is due at around 243k miles, considering the way i drive- it will take me about 5-6yrs to reach that mileage, so I am not bothered. Concerns like this are part of the reasons why i pathologically avoid vehicles with altered mileages. Certain service items in some brands which can cause catastrophic engine failures are designed to be changed at certain mileage intervals, altering mileages can give car owners a false sense of security which could prove to be extremely expensive in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid by okoroemeka(m): 8:58pm On Jul 31, 2022
Zoharariel:
No any Bmw engine on that list? Ok, Shinabole! grin
no Peugeot,no freelancer or Renault engine,I refuse to believe that the Toyota 3.0 v6 engine used in sienna,Avalon,RAV4,Highlander and Lexus are to be avoided,sienna that is flogged day and night on nigeria bad roads by transporters,not just for carrying passengers but if you see the Sienna's carrying insane loads from onitsha to calabar-cameroon you will respect the people that built that engine and gear,that list is faulty

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Snake Found Inside A Bus. / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Would You Buy A Modern BMW-type "Front-Opening Door" Bubble Car For N4.9M?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.