Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,973 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? (1505 Views)

Saudi Arabia Announces August 20th As The Day Of Arafah, The Moon Sighted Today / Ramadan 2018. Moon Sighted / Ramadan: Muslims Trying To Sight The Moon Today In Kaduna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 8:33am On Jul 03, 2016
Cross represents Jesus Crucifixion in Christianity, what does Moon represent in Islam ?

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by Rilwon: 8:47am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:
Cross represents Jesus Crucifixion in Christianity, what does Moon represent in Islam ?

Nothing. Just a creation of God that it is.
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 8:53am On Jul 03, 2016
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 8:58am On Jul 03, 2016
Rilwon:

Nothing. Just a creation of God that it is.

Nothing is done without a reason. Why the choice of the Moon and not other creations of God? I mean what is the reason for choosing the Moon and not another creations?
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by Rilwon: 9:11am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Nothing is done without a reason. Why the choice of the Moon and not other creations of God? I mean what is the reason for choosing the Moon and not another creations?

Choosing moon to do what?
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 9:17am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Like he replied you the moon stands for nothing.

The cresent moon and star is placed on the top roof of a mosque since the reign of Ottoman in Turkey. He made it because cresent moon and star are both the creation of Allah in this universe which decorate the sky and it will give light in the dark of a night and the star can be used to find a direction

R R was used by the ottoman empire as its symbol in Turkey. Nothing more

A star (or stars) and crescent featuring in some combination form the basis of symbols widely found across the ancient world, with examples attested from the Eastern Mediterranean, Persia and Central Asia.[1]

The symbol emerged into popular use during the 19th century as a modernistic national symbol for the Ottoman Empire during the Westernizing Tanzimat reforms. The Ottoman flag of 1844 with a white "ay-yıldız" (Turkish for "crescent-star"wink on a red background continues to be in use as the flag of the Republic of Turkey with minor modifications. Other states formerly part of the Ottoman Empire also used the symbol, including Libya (1951–1969 and after 2011), Tunisia (1956) and Algeria (1958). The same symbol was used in other national flags introduced during the 20th century, including the flags of Azerbaijan (1918), Pakistan (1947), Malaysia (1948), and Mauritania (1959).

During the 1950s to 1960s, the symbol was re-interpreted as the symbol of Islam or the Muslim community.[2] By the 1970s, this symbolism was embraced by movements of Arab nationalism or Islamism, such as the proposed Arab Islamic Republic (1974) and the American Nation of Islam (1973).[3]

2 Likes

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by pdppower: 9:19am On Jul 03, 2016
I know where your devilish self are going about this. But the moon is just for counting days and nothing else. Or what does your religion use to count days?

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 9:50am On Jul 03, 2016
It doesn't really have a meaning at all. There has never been any real symbol for islam. The very first muslim states used mainly solid colors in their flags. It wasn't until the reign of the ottoman empire that the crescent and star was used in the banner of a Muslim state. And since the ottoman empire controlled the muslim world for a very long time, Christian Europeans naturally began associating the crescent and the moon with the faith islam.

But some Muslims reject the symbol because it is rumored to have a pre-Islamic pagan meaning ( moon worshipping and all that stuff).

2 Likes

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 10:00am On Jul 03, 2016
kishimi8:
It doesn't really have a meaning at all. There has never been any real symbol for islam. The very first muslim states used mainly solid colors in their flags. It wasn't until the reign of the ottoman empire that the crescent and star was used in the banner of a Muslim state. And since the ottoman empire controlled the muslim world for a very long time, Christian Europeans naturally began associating the crescent and the moon with the faith islam.

But some Muslims reject the symbol because it is rumored to have a pre-Islamic pagan meaning ( moon worshipping and all that stuff).

There is no doubt that moon as a symbol is generally accepted in islamic world, hence it is in the flag of all muslims nations.

Yes, my question remains: why the choice of the moon as islamic symbol, knowing fully well that moon worship existed before Muhammad's islam?

Why should the symbol (moon) of idolaters be chosen as islamic symbol?

Please note that there are so many similarities between islamic worship and idol worship before islam in Mecca and again there is the similarity in their symbol. When did God begin to follow the ideas of the pagans?

Check:
www.nairaland.com/2644778/islam-meccans-religions-before-it

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 10:25am On Jul 03, 2016
kishimi8:

Like he replied you the moon stands for nothing.

The cresent moon and star is placed on the top roof of a mosque since the reign of Ottoman in Turkey. He made it because cresent moon and star are both the creation of Allah in this universe which decorate the sky and it will give light in the dark of a night and the star can be used to find a direction

R R was used by the ottoman empire as its symbol in Turkey. Nothing more

A star (or stars) and crescent featuring in some combination form the basis of symbols widely found across the ancient world, with examples attested from the Eastern Mediterranean, Persia and Central Asia.[1]

The symbol emerged into popular use during the 19th century as a modernistic national symbol for the Ottoman Empire during the Westernizing Tanzimat reforms. The Ottoman flag of 1844 with a white "ay-yıldız" (Turkish for "crescent-star"wink on a red background continues to be in use as the flag of the Republic of Turkey with minor modifications. Other states formerly part of the Ottoman Empire also used the symbol, including Libya (1951–1969 and after 2011), Tunisia (1956) and Algeria (1958). The same symbol was used in other national flags introduced during the 20th century, including the flags of Azerbaijan (1918), Pakistan (1947), Malaysia (1948), and Mauritania (1959).

During the 1950s to 1960s, the symbol was re-interpreted as the symbol of Islam or the Muslim community.[2] By the 1970s, this symbolism was embraced by movements of Arab nationalism or Islamism, such as the proposed Arab Islamic Republic (1974) and the American Nation of Islam (1973).[3]

How does it make sense to anyone that a symbol stands for nothing. What is the meaning of the word "symbol" ?

Symbol is defined by Merriam Webster Dictionary as "an authoritative summary of faith or doctrine"

Then why should you say a symbol stands for nothing? Why do people use symbols, for nothing? Your defence is lame, very lame in deed.
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 10:27am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

There is no doubt that moon as a symbol is generally accepted in islamic world, hence it is in the flag of all muslims nations.

Yes, my question remains: why the choice of the moon as islamic symbol, knowing fully well that moon worship existed before Muhammad's islam?

Why should the symbol (moon) of idolaters be chosen as islamic symbol?

Please note that there are so many similarities between islamic worship and idol worship before islam in Mecca and again there is the similarity in their symbol. When did God begin to follow the ideas of the pagans?

Check:
www.nairaland.com/2644778/islam-meccans-religions-before-it

So , finally decide to confirm what mischief you hiding lol and as we all said it ha no Islamic significance.
Read my replies and stop trying to associate us with pagan worship lol.

Google.

Try harder. Next time anofia
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 10:35am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

How does it make sense to anyone that a symbol stands for nothing. What is the meaning of the word "symbol" ?

Symbol is defined by Merriam Webster Dictionary as "an authoritative summary of faith or doctrine"

Then why should you say a symbol stands for nothing? Why do people use symbols, for nothing? Your defence is lame, very lame in deed.

@kishimi8
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 10:39am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Since you already know what it stands for why ask us? . Stick to your non lame answer lol.
Left for you. Why did I even bother answering. Chei I have wasted my mb this early morning

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 10:40am On Jul 03, 2016
kishimi8:

So , finally decide to confirm what mischief you hiding lol and as we all said it ha no Islamic significance.
Read my replies and stop trying to associate us with pagan worship lol.

Google.

Try harder. Next time anofia

Mischief ? I'm trying to open your eyes to the fact that islam is pagan worship and if you don't desist from it , it is certain it will lead you to hell. Islam is the clever device of satan to take mankind to hell.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 10:43am On Jul 03, 2016
kishimi8:

Since you already know what it stands for why ask us? . Stick to your non lame answer lol.
Left for you. Why did I even bother answering. Chei I have wasted my mb this early morning

You hate your own soul as Allah promised you hell (Quran 3:185, Quran 19:68-72).

You wonder why Allah promised you hell? It is because he had succeeded in deceiving you.

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 10:49am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Mischief ? I'm trying to open your eyes to the fact that islam is pagan worship and if you don't desist from it , it is certain it will lead you to hell. Islam is the clever device of satan to take mankind to hell.

Lol. Ok sir. I don't think we begged you to open our eyes lol.
If Islam leads to hell I will Glady go there thank you for your eye-opener

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 10:57am On Jul 03, 2016
kishimi8:

Lol. Ok sir. I don't think we begged you to open our eyes lol.
If Islam leads to hell I will Glady go there thank you for your eye-opener

Pity you !!!

Jesus said it would have been better a person that will go to hell is not born. That shows the agony in hellfire.
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 11:20am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Pity you !!!

Jesus said it would have been better a person that will go to hell is not born. That shows the agony in hellfire.

Lol.

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by pdppower: 11:28am On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Pity you !!!

Thanks for your 'concern' about Muslims. But I will refer you to Matthew 7:5. I don't know which part of MYOB you don't understand.
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 11:56am On Jul 03, 2016
pdppower:
Thanks for your 'concern' about Muslims. But I will refer you to Matthew 7:5. I don't know which part of MYOB you don't understand.

How does that apply to me ?

You have no training in the Bible.
Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by kishimi8(m): 12:15pm On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

The all knowing truthman2012 the guy with training in Bible and Quran

2 Likes

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 12:33pm On Jul 03, 2016
kishimi8:

The all knowing truthman2012 the guy with training in Bible and Quran

So, you have not stopped wasting your MB?

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by pdppower: 2:57pm On Jul 03, 2016
truthman2012:

Ode ni e. It applies to you. It means that you should settle the faults in your Xtianity, your bible and its contradictions before you start 'poking' your ugly nose in other people's religion.

1 Like

Re: What Does Moon Represent In Islam ? by truthman2012(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2016
pdppower:
Ode ni e. It applies to you. It means that you should settle the faults in your Xtianity, your bible and its contradictions before you start 'poking' your ugly nose in other people's religion.

Which of God's own statements in the Bible did you find contradictory? The God of the Bible is ever consistent unlike Allah who said he was replacing his revelations to manipulate situations (Quran 2:106).

(1) (Reply)

Muhammad The Great Doctor: He Discovered The Cause Of Fever / Some Important Acts To Be Noted During Iqaamah, Adhan & Sallaat / Istikharah (Seeking Allah's Counsel) In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.