Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Stories Behind Great Hymns - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories Behind Great Hymns (25977 Views)

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior / Stories Behind Great Hymns ....are You Washed In The Blood? / Soul Lifting Hymns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 9:23am On Jul 10, 2016
IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

Horatio G. Spafford had been a successful attorney in Chicago. He was the father of four daughters, an active member of the Presbyte­rian Church, and a loyal friend and supporter of D. L. Moody.

When Mr. Moody and his music associate, Ira Sankey, left for Great Britain for an evangelistic campaign, Spafford decided to lift the spirits of his family by taking them on a vacation to Europe. He also planned to assist in the Moody?Sankey meetings there.

In November, 1873, Spafford was detained by urgent business, but he sent his wife and four daughters as scheduled on the S.S. Ville du Harve, planning to join them soon.

Halfway across the Atlantic, the ship was struck by an English vessel, and sank in 12 minutes. All four of the Spafford claughters?-Tanetta, Maggie, Annie and Bessie-?were among the 226 who drowned.

Mrs. Spafford was among the few who were miraculously saved.

Later, Horatio Spafford stood hour after hour on the deck of the ship carrying him to rejoin his sorrowing wife in Cardiff, Wales. When the ship passed the approximate place where his precious daughters had drowned, Spafford received sustaining comfort from God that enabled him to write the words of this hymn: 'When sorrows like sea billows roll ... It is well with my soul.

--Adapted from Kenneth W. Osbeck

++++++++++

It Is Well with My Soul

(1) When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll-

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well with my soul.

CHORUS: It is well with my soul,

it is well, it is well with my soul.

(2) My sin- O the joy of this glorious thought-

My sin, not in part, but the whole,

Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more:

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

(3) And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back as a scroll:

The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend,

"Even so"- it is well with my soul.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Mekky2010: 9:29am On Jul 10, 2016
One of the reasons I love Methodist Church is because of the great culture of hymn singing . Charles and John Wesley who incidentally wrote thousands of hymn made hymn singing a cardinal part of worship.

If you are a lover of hymns and in Abuja, join us at Community Hymn Singing at the Methodist Cathedral of Unity, zone 3 Abuja. 5pm every last Sunday of the month.

2 hrs of hymns , sung in popular and totally new tunes .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by mariosam(m): 10:01am On Jul 10, 2016
Thank you......
It is well with my soul and your first hymn made my day..
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by mariosam(m): 10:02am On Jul 10, 2016
Thank you......
It is well with my soul and abide with me....made my day..
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:06am On Jul 10, 2016
HAVE THINE OWN WAY LORD.

A simple expression, prayed by an elderly woman at a prayer meeting one night, was the source of inspiration that prompted the writing of this popular consecration hymn, Have Thine Own Way, Lord, in 1902.

The author of this hymn text, Adelaide A. Pollard, was herself experiencing distress of soul during this time. It appears that it was a period in her life when she had been unsuccessful in raising funds to make a desired trip to Africa for missionary service.

In this state of discouragement, she attended a little prayer meeting one night and was greatly impressed with the prayer of an elderly woman, who omitted the usual requests for blessings and things, and simply petitioned God for an understanding of His will in life.

Upon returning home that evening, Miss Pollard mediated on the story of the potter, found in Jeremiah 18:3-4.

Then I went to the potters house, and behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

Before retiring that evening, Adelaide Pollard completed the writing of all four stanzas of this hymn as it is sung today.

Kenneth Osbeck

++++++++++

Have Thine Own Way, Lord!

(1) Have Thine own way, Lord!

Have Thine own way!

Thou art the potter,

I am the clay!

Mold me and make me

After Thy will,

While I am waiting,

Yielded and still.

(2) Have Thine own way, Lord!

Have Thine own Way!

Search me and try me,

Master, today!

Whiter than snow, Lord.

Wash me just now,

As in Thy presence

Humbly I bow.

(3) Have Thine own way, Lord!

Have Thine own way!

Wounded and weary,

Help me, I pray!

Power- all power-

Surely is Thine!

Touch me and heal me,

Savior divine!

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:10am On Jul 10, 2016
GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS.

While many hymns are born out of a particular dramatic experience, this hymn was simply the result of the authors morning by morning realization of Gods personal faithfulness.

Thomas Obadiah Chisholm was born in a log cabin in Kentucky. Without the benefit of high school or advanced training, he began his career as a school teacher at the age of sixteen, in the same country schoolhouse where he had received his elementary training.

When he was twenty-one, he became the associate editor of his home town weekly newspaper, The Franklin Favorite. Six years later he accepted Christ as his personal Savior during a revival meeting.

Later Chisholm was ordained to the Methodist ministry but was forced to resign after a brief pastorate because of poor health. Chisholm retired in 1953 and spent his remaining years at the Methodist Home for the Aged, in Ocean Grove, New Jersey.

In a letter dated 1941, Mr. Chisholm wrote; My income has not been large at any time due to impaired health in the earlier years which has followed me until now, although I must not fail to record the unfailing faithfulness of a covenant-keeping God, for which I am filled with astonishing gratefulness.

++++++++++

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

(1) Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father!

There is no shadow of turning with Thee;

Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not:

As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

(2) Great is Thy faithfulness, great is Thy faithfulness,

morning by morning new mercies I see;

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided-

Great is Thy faithfulness, lord, unto me!

(3) Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,

Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above,

Join with all nature in manifold witness

To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love.

(4) Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,

Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide,

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow-

Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

2 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by kuphid(f): 10:28am On Jul 10, 2016
God bless you abundantly op for this post
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Drdreluv: 10:36am On Jul 10, 2016
Lovely
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by uwuana: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2016
This hymns are all from the Catholic hymn book
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 10, 2016
How about "Odun nlo s'opin O, Baba rere" By CAC

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by ifedolapoferanm(m): 11:03am On Jul 10, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Melkysam(m): 11:36am On Jul 10, 2016
ABIDE WITH ME

This beloved hymn of comfort and trust was written by a pastor who was sickly and unwell most of the time.

Henry F. Lyte  pastored a seashore church in England, among the rough sailors and uncultured villagers. And this made outsiders often wonder. But they loved him and he loved the work.

However, health finally left him and the doctor advised him to retreat to sunny southern Europe, and he prepared to sail.

The last Sunday before leaving, although he had no strength to stand up and preach, yet he forced himself and preached among his weeping people. That evening, by the light of the evening sun, he wrote these words:

Abide with me, Fast falls the eventide;

The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;

When other helpers fail, and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me!

He sailed, but died abroad within that year.
Hmmm...... No 1der my dad lv dz hymn. We cnt du witout singin d yoruba versn. It reali liftn soul

2 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by oosibajo: 11:42am On Jul 10, 2016
I'm happy to be a member of the THE APOSTOLIC FAITH and I will remain no matter what

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by OscaZee: 12:30pm On Jul 10, 2016
Good one,proudly an Anglican
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by fuckerholic(m): 12:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:
Glory to God for today.

As a christian who loves hymnals, have you ever imagined what led to the writing of that very particular hymn you love to sing so much? Have you gotten an answer? If yes congrats. And if No have got a very good news for you.
I found my faith in christ in a church called THE APOSTOLIC FAITH and due to my love for hymns, have decided to paste the story behind all the hymns you can ever think of. I rili wish and believe this will have effect on our spiritual edification, and save a lost soul as grace found and saved me.

Please due to where I am, I might not paste everythings ones but I promise to do my best. God bless us all
Brother go to a hospital and treat yourself anytime you or your relative or is sick
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by khaykay15(f): 1:05pm On Jul 10, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
fuckerholic:

Brother go to a hospital and treat yourself anytime you or your relative or is sick

Dnt get ur point.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by shallom88(m): 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:
2. ABIDE WITH ME

This beloved hymn of comfort and trust was written by a pastor who was sickly and unwell most of the time.

Henry F. Lyte  pastored a seashore church in England, among the rough sailors and uncultured villagers. And this made outsiders often wonder. But they loved him and he loved the work.

However, health finally left him and the doctor advised him to retreat to sunny southern Europe, and he prepared to sail.

The last Sunday before leaving, although he had no strength to stand up and preach, yet he forced himself and preached among his weeping people. That evening, by the light of the evening sun, he wrote these words:

Abide with me, Fast falls the eventide;

The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;

When other helpers fail, and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me!

He sailed, but died abroad within that year.

++++++++

Abide With Me

(1) Abide with me- fast falls the eventide;

The darkness deepens- Lord, with me abide;

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

(2) Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;

Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away;

Change and decay in all around I see;

O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

(3) I need Thy presence every passing hour;

What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's power?

Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?

Through cloud and sunshine, O abide with me.

(4) I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;

Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness;

Where is death's sting? where, grace, thy victory?

I triumph still if Thou abide with me.

(5) Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;

Shine thru the gloom and point me to the skies;

Heaven's morning breaks and earth's vain shadows flee;

In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.
this song moves me to tears<> gud wk bro, may d Lord abide wit u

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2016
oosibajo:
I'm happy to be a member of the THE APOSTOLIC FAITH and I will remain no matter what

God bless you bro. May the faith of mother crawford, baba soyinka, baba ogunaike and the rest help us in dz part of the world.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Fembleez1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2016
Op, good work.

I so much love 23 and 33. They are my best hymns.

I wish the hymns “Old 100th (Old hundredth)” was included and “Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty.”

Nonetheless, there is none of those hymns I don't love; just preference.

Forever proud to be a Catholic. cool
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 2:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
Fembleez1:
Op, good work.

I so much love 23 and 33. They are my best hymns.

I wish the hymns “Old 100th (Old hundredth)” was included and “Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty.”

Nonetheless, there is none of those hymns I don't love; just preference.

Forever proud to be a Catholic. cool

By Gods grace I will write the stories behind it too. Am making it alphabetically

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Fembleez1(m): 2:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:

By Gods grace I will write the stories behind it too. Am making it alphabetically
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Fembleez1(m): 2:47pm On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:

Oh, nice. cheesy
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 2:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
shallom88:

this song moves me to tears<> gud wk bro, may d Lord abide wit u

Amen and you too sir
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by ifydio(m): 3:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
hymns, the one thing that takes me back to Anglican church. hymns surely comforts the soul just as it did mine with these post. Thanks
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Spybradd: 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:
4. ALL CREATURES OF OUR GOD AND KING

From the grateful heart of a devoted Italian monk in the year of 1225 came this beautiful message.

As a great lover of nature, Saint Francis of Assisi saw the hand of God in all creation.  He demonstrated through his own life all the tender, humble, forgiving spirit and absolute trust in God that his hymn urges others to have. At the age of 25, St. Francis left an indulgent fife as a soldier, renounced his inherited wealth, and determined to live meagerly and to imitate the selfless life of Christ.

Throughout his life Saint Francis appreciated the importance of church music and encouraged singing in his monastery. He wrote more than 60 hymns for this purpose. The beautiful expressions of praise in All Creatures of Our God and King have endured throughout the centuries.

+++++++++

All creatures of our God and King

(1) All creatures of our God and King,

Lift up your voice and with us sing,

Alleluia! Alleluia!

Thou burning sun with golden beam,

Thou silver moon with softer gleam,

O praise Him! O praise Him!

Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

(2) Thou rushing wind that art so strong,

Ye clouds that sail in heaven along,

O praise Him! Alleluia!

Thou rising morn, in praise rejoice,

Ye lights of evening, find a voice!

(3) Thou flowing water, pure and clear,

Make music for thy Lord to hear,

Alleluia! Alleluia!

Thou fire so masterful and bright,

That givest man both warmth and light,

(4) Let all things their Creator bless,

And worship Him in humbleness,

O praise Him! Alleluia!

Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,

And praise the Spirit, Three in One!

love this hymn,t'was played today during radio continental's "Hymns inspired" time today 6am-7am. God is great.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by yetseyi(f): 4:21pm On Jul 10, 2016
Nice

All creatures of our God and king is one of my best hymns.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by 1Dray(m): 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2016
Waiting to see that of 'When the the roll is called up yonder'
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by ashala(m): 9:13pm On Jul 10, 2016
Simply lovely! Cure to a weary soul
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by PurestBoy(m): 12:32am On Jul 11, 2016
Guy you didn't educate anyone on most important hymns and the stories you gave about "It is well with my soul and Amazing Grace are hugely incomplete.. Thank God I've known these before else I would have been misinformed
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by fuckerholic(m): 9:34am On Jul 11, 2016
greatbrian:

Dnt get ur point.
AFC members don't believe in going to hospital for medication

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Natilolo(m): 8:33am On Jul 06, 2020
PurestBoy:
Guy you didn't educate anyone on most important hymns and the stories you gave about "It is well with my soul and Amazing Grace are hugely incomplete.. Thank God I've known these before else I would have been misinformed
Learn to appreciate before criticizing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Atheist, Carl Maobi, Kidnapped / Ugandan Pastor Flogs Church Members As Part Of Prayer In Viral Video / He Was Asked To Return His Waec Certificate ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.