Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,911 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com (30691 Views)

Skye Bank, First Bank Take Over Evans Medical Assets / $793.2 Million TSA Funds: Skye Bank Confirms Holding $41 Million / Man Becomes A Millionaire With Skye Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Oyimeoyimemua(f): 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2016
trust me many Nigerians will still withdraw their money just to be on a safer side.I think the situation was not managed properly

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by 9jatatafo(m): 6:14pm On Jul 05, 2016
Na wa ooo
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by davide470(m): 6:14pm On Jul 05, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

it's true, first bank is having issues, uba is also having. uba is not as much as that of first bank. let's hope they all won't go down.
to cbn, how was Skye alloed to acquire afribank despite having all these issues?
Oga, UBA is not having any issues. One of the safest banks right now.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by viruz007(m): 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2016
Icecomrade:

Skye Bank is still a healthy bank. Just wondering the basis for this long text book.

The reality is that the present economy is going to have an adverse effect on the financial sector. All the banks are burning hard under this government economy until something drastic is done.

CBN policy is killing. Income lines are yanked off. TSA taken away liquidity from the financial sector. Budget is delayed and passed without implementation.

Cost has increased with subsidy removal.

CBN should prepare for more of this.

This government will kill our economy.

Abeg make una leave skye Bank alone jare and deal with the real issues.

You are justifying that banks should have been holding government money or what? The banks refused to have faith in SMEs by giving them loans but we're comfortable holding government funds and giving loan to those in the oil and gas business. Well the chicken has come home so time for them to face the music

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by bobokunlexzy: 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2016
Millz404:
Mtchew.... Me sef just carried meself and opened a corporate account with them recently..... And access bank is sharing fench with dem o...

You don jonze be that o

2 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by olajay86(m): 6:28pm On Jul 05, 2016
Msg from Skye Bank today

Skye Bank's new management has taken charge of the Bank, with the backing of the CBN. The CBN has assured safety of your deposits. There is no cause for alarm.

olajay86..com (www.titopeblog.com)
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Icecomrade: 6:29pm On Jul 05, 2016
viruz007:

You are justifying that banks should have been holding government money or what? The banks refused to have faith in SMEs by giving them loans but we're comfortable holding government funds and giving loan to those in the oil and gas business. Well the chicken has come home so time for them to face the music

I don't understand your grammar. You must know that if you loose the banking sector, the nation economy is grounded

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by akocon: 6:34pm On Jul 05, 2016
WE WOULD HELP YOU CREATE AN AFFORDABLE WEBSITE THAT SUITS YOUR NEED
www.akocon.com

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by OlujobaSamuel: 6:34pm On Jul 05, 2016
davide470:
Oga, UBA is not having an issues. One of the safest bank right now.
oga, I bank with uba and skye, closed my Skye account more than a year ago when I saw some indices not so friendly.
checkout the report on banks on Google or here on NL, the reports were by SR and Cable. Different reports, just add them all together, you get your answer.
It's not about destroying them, but for us(depositors and shareholders) to be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by LegatusGlaber(m): 6:39pm On Jul 05, 2016
iyatrustee:

I heard first bank is having issues too? Can anyone corroborate?

I believe they are considering the crazy deductions I noticed in my account June ending.

One needs to make hay while the sun shines. Oh! how are the mighty fallen
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by davide470(m): 6:55pm On Jul 05, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

oga, I bank with uba and skye, closed my Skye account more than a year ago when I saw some indices not so friendly.
checkout the report on banks on Google or here on NL, the reports were by SR and Cable. Different reports, just add them all together, you get your answer.
It's not about destroying them, but for us(depositors and shareholders) to be careful.
Bros, I am trying to get your views, but comparing a UBA to a SKYE is absolute preposterous. UBA has one of the lowest exposure to the oil sector in terms of loans which made them one of the few banks to declare a profit last year (Mind you, 90% of the issues all the banks are facing are non-performing loans)

To check if a bank is stable and unlikely to fold, you check their Financial Year results, do a year on year comparison and all that... Not looking at SR reports.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by bejeria101(m): 7:03pm On Jul 05, 2016
My mother pension dey there o!
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by playboy19(m): 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2016
davide470:
Bros, I am trying to get your views, but comparing a UBA to a SKYE is absolute preposterous. UBA has one of the lowest exposure to the oil sector in terms of loans which made them one of the few banks to declare a profit last year (Mind you, 90% of the issues all the banks are facing are non-performing loans)

To check if a bank is stable and unlikely to fold, you check their Financial Year results, do a year on year comparison and all that... Not looking at SR reports.

Cheers.

Bro, you will need more than checking their yearly books to make your decision. Most oh this bank do doctor their numbers, so u will need different reports from different credit sources, so I believe the guy you quoted was right.

2 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by OlujobaSamuel: 7:22pm On Jul 05, 2016
davide470:

Cheers.
I understand you. I'm not comparing. it's wrong for me to do such, uba is not too serious like that of Skye and first bank.also note that all this organization doctors report. Remember oando declared huge loss in its last FR, most financial analysts still believes that report is a scam, but the reasons for such is still not known.
let's hope for the best.
The sun is still enough to dry the cloths on the line.

3 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Enrichlee(m): 7:40pm On Jul 05, 2016
No wonder they've not been able to credit our accounts despite having submitted our salary schedule there since friday. Transfer of account on point first thing friday morning

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by stagger: 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2016
What I cannot understand is this:

Why would any member of the board of directors, the Chairman, MD or anybody in such positions be allowed to borrow such staggering amounts of money from banks they are supposed to be administering? Does this not constitute conflict of interest? N82billion owed by a director? N109 billion incurred by the Chairman? Gracious me!

3 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by ColeworldMD(m): 8:24pm On Jul 05, 2016
HungerBAD:
Thanks for this info.

On the assets declaration forms,prior to the Presidential election of last year. I was curious to why Buhari only operated one account anywhere in the World,and that was a Union Bank Account.

A former President?privy to insiders informations?and only trusted one Bank?that was how I ported to Union Bank.

If it is good for Buhari,it is good for me. I do not trust this new banks.
funny you. PMB is a former head of state. You & him are not the same. His money is always safe regardless of the bank. You on the other hand needs to consider other factors such as current bank ratings, mission & vision, proximity etc of any bank to eventually make ur choice. HungerBad sha. Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by ademusiwa5: 8:44pm On Jul 05, 2016
[size=28pt]They went to lie and claim one

Someone, who they think look like me, call tokunbo abiru. I am not tokunbo abiru. all depositor should not, that it look like fake name and the police should investigate fraud. I suspect fraud. The new IG of police Idriss should look into this.

People have going about using my name is o do 419.. tokunbo abiru is obviously a name of a 419.. the SSS should find out his real name. He is Just a fraud. The IG of police should send people to go and interrogate him. he is involve in fraud.

Please the general public should take note. I don't know who tokunbo abiru is. I have never seen anyone call tokunbo abiru before.
They are just doing 419. Looking for anyone that look like me.
Ademusiwa@gmail.com

Anyone looking for me, call meet my new special adviser toke Makinwa. And book appointment to see me.

segun
[/size]
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by teekrackz(m): 9:14pm On Jul 05, 2016
mradjoy:
I have an inactive savings and current account with them, but my wife's life savings is with this stupid bank.
Chilex they are nt collapsing, ur wife's money is safe.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by maadman: 9:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
But I also recall that Union Bank was distressed not too long ago..

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by dadiyev: 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2016
Icecomrade:

Skye Bank is still a healthy bank. Just wondering the basis for this long text book.

The reality is that the present economy is going to have an adverse effect on the financial sector. All the banks are burning hard under this government economy until something drastic is done.

CBN policy is killing. Today that useless CBN comes up with a policy, 1 or 2 months after, the policies are reversed. Income lines are yanked off. TSA taken away liquidity from the financial sector. Budget is delayed and passed without implementation.

Cost has increased with subsidy removal.

CBN should prepare for more of this.

This government will kill our economy.

Abeg make una leave skye Bank alone jare and deal with the real issues. I have 2 accounts there and am not moving my funds

how much do you have sef.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 05, 2016
HungerBAD:
Thanks for this info.

On the assets declaration forms,prior to the Presidential election of last year. I was curious to why Buhari only operated one account anywhere in the World,and that was a Union Bank Account.

A former President?privy to insiders informations?and only trusted one Bank?that was how I ported to Union Bank.

If it is good for Buhari,it is good for me. I do not trust this new banks.
so u dont lyk sufiscated things?
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by skywalker001(m): 9:31pm On Jul 05, 2016
Millz404:
Mtchew.... Me sef just carried meself and opened a corporate account with them recently..... And access bank is sharing fench with dem o...
Are u an aauaite ?
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Millz404(m): 9:36pm On Jul 05, 2016
skywalker001:
Are u an aauaite ?
Sorry... No freaking idea what that means
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by skywalker001(m): 9:39pm On Jul 05, 2016
Millz404:
Sorry... No freaking idea what that means
Owk... Nvm
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by ponti93(m): 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2016
i dnt think selling the shares is the right thing, i think buying more shares, now is the time becos in the long run the value of the shares will be higher than it is currently.
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:49pm On Jul 05, 2016
davide470:
Oga, UBA is not having any issues. One of the safest banks right now.
I agree with you bro. UBA risk management is TOP NOTCH. Their non performing loan after the release of 2015 financial result stood at 1.4% against the benchmark of 5% set by CBN. Where other banks were recording decline in profit & sacking workers, UBA made a WHOPPING 25% Profit AFTER TAX & a 10% increase in its Gross earnings. UBA is one of the tightest banks now brov

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:51pm On Jul 05, 2016
ponti93:
i dnt think selling the shares is the right thing, i think buying more shares, now is the time becos in the long run the value of the shares will be higher than it is currently.
Buy more shares when the value of the shares is declining @ an alarming rate? It could be cool for entry Investors coz of the bearish price but for one who already owns a skye bank share, nigga sell off the shii before you lose all your money

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by davide470(m): 9:54pm On Jul 05, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

I agree with you bro. UBA risk management is TOP NOTCH. Their non performing loan after the release of 2015 financial result stood at 1.4% against the benchmark of 5% set by CBN. Whereother banks were recording decline in profit & sacking workers, UBA made a WHOPPING 25% Profit AFTER TAX & a 10% increase in its Gross earnings. UBA is one of the tightest banks now brov
True bruv.

UBA, ACCESS, ZENITH & GTB.. They kinging!..
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Chukzyfcb(m): 10:00pm On Jul 05, 2016
davide470:
True bruv.

It seems u r monitoring thesituation like me too, lol those 4 banks only are in the safest position for now after 2015 financial report then maybe Fidelity following slightly

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by davide470(m): 10:07pm On Jul 05, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

It seems u r monitoring thesituation like me too, lol those 4 banks only are in the safest position for now after 2015 financial report then maybe Fidelity following slightly
Lol. Yes o. Information is key, and true for Fidelity, their topline was a bit impressive.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Chukzyfcb(m): 10:08pm On Jul 05, 2016
davide470:
True bruv.

I like how you confirmed my fears on firstbank.
With over 79% decline in profit, 1000 workers laid off & a highexposure to Oil & gas in terms of loans......hmmm firstbank is on my "watch list". Several reports hv shown that about 45% of the outstanding loans from firstbank is dollar denominated. With this current float exchange by cbn, if firstbank defaults in more loan, it means Higher losses & their balance sheet will go worse.......No wonder Top Rating agency like Standar d& Poor agency have downgraded the credit rating of first bank. They seem to see a weaker firstbank than we envisage. On that note I fear the CAR & Liquidity ratio may plunge low if care isn't taken

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GPRTU Petitions Mahama Over Dangote / ASSBIFI Vow To Shut Down Operations Over Attacks On Bank Workers / Niger Republic Bans Export Of Rice To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.