Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com (30693 Views)

Skye Bank, First Bank Take Over Evans Medical Assets / $793.2 Million TSA Funds: Skye Bank Confirms Holding $41 Million / Man Becomes A Millionaire With Skye Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2016
Please go and withdraw all your money. Before they will trace Dusunki looted money to your accounts. Thank me later cheesy

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by tayo200(m): 10:47pm On Jul 05, 2016
I blame buhari for this mess
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 05, 2016
How does this long write up concern me when i have my iron saving box
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:32am On Jul 06, 2016
davide470:
I wonder why people are panicking. Banks cannot just fail again as the likes of what happened during Sanusi era.

Now we have AMCON! and a functional CBN.

In other news, if you work in a firm (banks or what-not) and the Chairman of the firm associate with some political undertones, please start looking for an EXIT! Fast..

..and I pity those who bought Skye bank shares though.. (-9.5% in one day!) embarassed
the banks in USA that crashed nko
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by lonelydora: 5:05am On Jul 06, 2016
iyatrustee:
Unfortunately, this is Nigeria!

I remember being in this situation as a marketer for Union Bank when Sanusi changed our management. You would preach a whole sermon convincing them that their deposit is safe. They have made up their minds to move their funds.

People are too afraid of our systems that they play it safe. Some would tell you they have lost monies in Societe General and Savannah banks and do not want a repeat.

Sad truth is that some bank marketers are going to meet their targets effortlessly now as those panic withdrawals are going to other strong banks.

I heard first bank is having issues too? Can anyone corroborate?

And Skye bank is still sending SMS to me on an account I abandoned years ago, even before the BVN issue.

Which First bank? Abeg no play that play near me oooo. I no wan hear story. I'm going to withdraw all my money from first bank on Thursday before I the thing enter voicemail. angry
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by lawani: 5:21am On Jul 06, 2016
If the country were well organised with everybody earning income having access to credit, there would have been no need for banks to be overly exposed to the troubled oil and gas sector. Skyebank was exposed to a threshhold of 700 billion but the money is not lost as it is collaterised but it is not performing. Whose fault? Government's fault. They are the ones supposed to organise the country. There are people employing 20 people paying salaries without fail for 10 years in this country with no access to credit. I have been there.
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by ichomi(m): 6:24am On Jul 06, 2016
We never expected them to tell us our money is no save..... If everybody starts running to skye bank how many will be paid.

My advice..... If u can pull a little do it. Its better u loose some than to loose all.

But then in this 21st century bank aint supposed to close....just totin..

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by rhektor(m): 7:06am On Jul 06, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

it's true, first bank is having issues, uba is also having. uba is not as much as that of first bank. let's hope they all won't go down.
to cbn, how was Skye alloed to acquire afribank despite having all these issues?

Fraud
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Localamos(m): 7:13am On Jul 06, 2016
bikerboy1:
Ramadan break should allow me withdraw my money before it enters voice mail. Mbok!

Chill... Your money is secure.

The CBN took this action not because the bank is distressed, but because they want to prevent that risk. So Skye is not distressed.

Moreso, your money has been insured by NDIC. So relax and enjoy the elongated Sallah break. cool
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Kingsmaonyema(m): 7:19am On Jul 06, 2016
thanks OP
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by oshiokpu(m): 7:20am On Jul 06, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

I understand you. I'm not comparing. it's wrong for me to do such, uba is not too serious like that of Skye and first bank.also note that all this organization doctors report. Remember oando declared huge loss in its last FR, most financial analysts still believes that report is a scam, but the reasons for such is still not known.
let's hope for the best.
The sun is still enough to dry the cloths on the line.

Please no public company can doctor their financial report not when their books are audited yearly to avoid financial misrepresentation by external auditors..They simply cannot do it cos the fear of SOX is the beginning of wisdom.
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by stevedre: 8:39am On Jul 06, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

It seems u r monitoring thesituation like me too, lol those 4 banks only are in the safest position for now after 2015 financial report then maybe Fidelity following slightly

What about Diamond bank if inmay ask? Hope they have a bright present n future.
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by mradjoy(m): 8:48am On Jul 06, 2016
teekrackz:

Chilex they are nt collapsing, ur wife's money is safe.
Thanks man, I'll let her know this.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by OlujobaSamuel: 8:49am On Jul 06, 2016
oshiokpu:

Please no public company can doctor their financial report not when their books are audited yearly to avoid financial misrepresentation by external auditors..They simply cannot do it cos the fear of SOX is the beginning of wisdom.
they do doctor report bro. US even sanctioned VW recently for doctoring a report on environmental issues or so.
it's illegal,yes, but they do it to avoid some other form of scrutiny in the hope that they won't be caught.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by imakewealth: 8:52am On Jul 06, 2016
mradjoy:
I have an inactive savings and current account with them, but my wife's life savings is with this stupid bank.

If I may ask you Sir what made the bank a stupid bank? Look at the macro economy and tell me that everything is alright. And how much is your wife's fund?
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by mradjoy(m): 10:03am On Jul 06, 2016
imakewealth:

If I may ask you Sir what made the bank a stupid bank? Look at the macro economy and tell me that everything is alright. And how much is your wife's fund?

Firstly thanks for asking, did you see the humongous amount Tunde Ayeni is owing the bank? if not go ahead and do a google search about him and Skye Bank along with all Tunde Ayeni's crony capitalism and cronyism.

Now looking at macro economy of Nigeria, we all know it isn't smiling at the moment, but this isn't the bank's problem because Ayeni's cronyism hasn't just began, e don tey well well. And why would you or anyone blame the woes of Skye Bank on the economy when we all know that the current economic downturn just started less than a year, Ayeni and his cronies failed to service their loans for years and here's the aftermath of unserviced loans.

Now ask yourself my friend, what if these loans had been given to serious minded people/businesses, would it have had same effect as that of Tunde Ayeni's cronyism of loans without interest? I believe otherwise!

Lastly, my wife isn't a millionaire yet, but she disclosed to me she's got up to few figures less than a 1M with them, the funniest part is that she's been trying hard since the inception of this account to register for internet banking, mobile banking but couldn't simply because of one problem or the other from her branch, even the ATM that was issued isn't gonna work till tomorrow!

As a Techie guy, I would have been of help by moving her fund to other bank sharply had all the avenues to do this wasn't blocked by this block head bank!

My brother can you now see reasons I called this bank stupid out of annoyance! even though CBN assured us that we are safe with skye bank in the meantime, now if you're in her shoes will you handle this case with kid gloves?
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by sunjos79: 10:24am On Jul 06, 2016
Won't depositors quickly withdraw their hard earned money? Once bitten,twice shy!
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by Vires: 10:40am On Jul 06, 2016
mradjoy:

Firstly thanks for asking, did you see the humongous amount Tunde Ayeni is owing the bank? if not go ahead and do a google search about him and Skye Bank along with all Tunde Ayeni's crony capitalism and cronyism.

Now looking at macro economy of Nigeria, we all know it isn't smiling at the moment, but this isn't the bank's problem because Ayeni's cronyism hasn't just began, e don tey well well. And why would you or anyone blame the woes of Skye Bank on the economy when we all know that the current economic downturn just started less than a year, Ayeni and his cronies failed to service their loans for years and here's the aftermath of unserviced loans.

Now ask yourself my friend, what if these loans had been given to serious minded people/businesses, would it have had same effect as that of Tunde Ayeni's cronyism of loans without interest? I believe otherwise!

Lastly, my wife isn't a millionaire yet, but she disclosed to me she's got up to few figures less than a 1M with them, the funniest part is that she's been trying hard since the inception of this account to register for internet banking, mobile banking but couldn't simply because of one problem or the other from her branch, even the ATM that was issued isn't gonna work till tomorrow!

As a Techie guy, I would have been of help by moving her fund to other bank sharply had all the avenues to do this wasn't blocked by this block head bank!

My brother can you now see reasons I called this bank stupid out of annoyance! even though CBN assured us that we are safe with skye bank in the meantime, now if you're in her shoes will you handle this case with kid gloves?

Pls pls pls pls, remove her money, no sentiments
There're 24 other banks
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by dearie(m): 11:31am On Jul 06, 2016
stagger:
What I cannot understand is this:

Why would any member of the board of directors, the Chairman, MD or anybody in such positions be allowed to borrow such staggering amounts of money from banks they are supposed to be administering? Does this not constitute conflict of interest? N82billion owed by a director? N109 billion incurred by the Chairman? Gracious me!

Having insider related loans is not a bad thing...so long as due process is followed with clear intention of duly running it to perform. You would not even expect a director of bank A to go do his banking transactions with a rival bank just because he's on your board. On the contrary...It should be a symbiotic relationship where you gain from each other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by dearie(m): 11:39am On Jul 06, 2016
sunjos79:
Won't depositors quickly withdraw their hard earned money? Once bitten,twice shy!

The essence of this post is to enlighten the public and assuage them on the need not to panic.

You are not helping the economy by encouraging a run on the bank. Not even the so called healthy banks can withstand a run.

There are people's fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, etc working directly and indirectly with the bank. You endanger their source of livelihood with such advice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by meveboq(m): 4:14am On Jan 28, 2017
l recently opened an account there. how come i didn't hear this
Re: Skye Bank Crisis: What It Means For Your Money- Naijabankers.com by damayfoli: 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2021
I recently moved to live in Oklahoma City. I could not find a branch of Chase Bank in this city. Then I managed to find the site usa-banks.info/chase-bank/oklahoma/oklahoma-city/. There I managed to find the location and working hours of this bank. To quickly find the desired bank branch, you just need to enter the address or phone number.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GPRTU Petitions Mahama Over Dangote / Countries Where Binance Is Banned, Restricted (Full List) / ASSBIFI Vow To Shut Down Operations Over Attacks On Bank Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.