Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

What Kind Of Snake Is This? - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Kind Of Snake Is This? (54709 Views)

What Specie Of Snake Is This? / What Specie Of Snake Is This? / Mind Blowing: What Kind Of Creature Is This? - Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by drewxx88(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
sarutobie:

you can't tell for sure from the angle the op took his picture. you said fangs look like switchblades, and you are right...and if that is true, then like a switchblade, the fangs will be curved backwards and resting on the roof of the snake's mouth...only projecting outward when it wants to inject venom...
Err wrong again though I said like switch blades but if you've handled a venomous snake before the moment you hold the head like that and force the mouth open the fangs are active i.e the come out of their grooves its more like an involuntary action and its sorta directly proportional relationship ie the wider the mouth the more of the fangs you would see this is so that the snake doesn't accidentally harm its self that's why it's so easy to spot them I know am a wild lifer and iv killed and handled snakes ...
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by NZAGHA(f): 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2016
*shouts* Just negodu agwo ehh Chaii chineke m eeh.. gringrin
lala ur attention is needed cheesycheesysmiley
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by sarutobie(m): 3:36pm On Jul 06, 2016
drewxx88:
Err wrong again though I said like switch blades but if you've handled a venomous snake before the moment you hold the head like that and force the mouth open the fangs are active i.e the come out of their grooves its more like an involuntary action and its sorta directly proportional relationship ie the wider the mouth the more of the fangs you would see this is so that the snake doesn't accidentally harm its self that's why it's so easy to spot them I know am a wild lifer and iv killed and handled snakes ...
I know all that..not to blow my trumpet but I'm well versed in herpetology..I'm just saying you can't determine for certain, if the snakes is non venomous from the angle the op took the picture.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by drewxx88(m): 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2016
sarutobie:

I know all that..not to blow my trumpet but I'm well versed in herpetology..I'm just saying you can't determine for certain, if the snakes is non venomous from the angle the op took the picture.
hahahah a man who knows his onions am impressed and forced to accept your view that since we weren't there and the pix is inconclusive it could as well be a venomous snake...
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by UKTAFIA(m): 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2016
Where is the snake now? In ur pepper soup pot? grin grin
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 06, 2016
Ravenna:

Yeah, it's sallah and you knew i'm high on weed and jedi but you never knew i'm also a crusher.
shey u get antivenom for cytoxim
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 06, 2016
Ravenna:

Yeah, it's sallah and you knew i'm high on weed and jedi but you never knew i'm also a crusher.
shey u get antivenom ?
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Mckandre(m): 4:33pm On Jul 06, 2016
FuckTheMods:
.guy is it true that even when the snake is dead, the venom is still active?
yup,that's why the head of a snake is usually decapitated and buried.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 06, 2016
MRBrownJ:

is there any highly venomous snakes in 9ja? and if yes, in what specific part of the country? kai!!!
btw: i thought all venomous snakes had either the 2 fangs in the front to inject the venom OR were spitting it?

Some venomous snakes have their fangs at the back and not in front
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2016
GogetterMD:

We sure have a lot of venomous species in Nigeria. Mambas, Vipers and cobras, rattle snakes etc. They are all around the country.
I also didn't notice the fangs in this snake of yours, it's either absent or extremely short

No rattle snakes in Nigeria
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 06, 2016
GogetterMD:

cheesy I guess it's better safe than not abi?
No time to be assessing the fangs and diamond shaped eyes before killing.

I'm still an animal rights activist though, buh I don't know of any endangered snake species currently grin

Once again you're wrong, there are endangered species of snakes
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by JoBabs(m): 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2016
GogetterMD:

Now that's false. The venom is stored in a modified salivary gland and delivered through its fangs, it's not like there's venom flowing in every part of the snake

He ain't talking about the venom, the bones are poisonous while they are dead, why do you think they burn them after killing them?
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 06, 2016
Movingcoil:

Oga I no dey do show biz ooooo..... I only catch or kill the ones that threaten my existence or that of the pets that I have and depending on who is around me then cos too much catch catch release fit give you a very diabolical name cos where I stay most people here are not exposed so well to wildlife issues.
Like I was talking with some boy this morning as I went to buy something, from his stories of when he was bitten by a snake, it is obvious he either got a dry bite or the snake wasn't venomous but the mamba I feared that may be here always give a good overdose of its neurotoxin and the boy didn't get the rubbery or metallic taste.
I will keep asking to know what snakes inhabit here.
Pit viper is here.

Black Mambas don't give dry bites, their bites are always 100% envenomed , no surprise they are the most dangerous snake specie in the world.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 06, 2016
JoBabs:

He ain't talking about the venom, the bones are poisonous while they are dead, why do you think they burn them after killing them?

Untrue
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Dexema(m): 5:16pm On Jul 06, 2016
Thoughty2:
How can you be touching those animals with you bare hands. Don't you know they carry dangerous bacteria such as salmollena.
Salmonella
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 06, 2016
kirchofff:
oh maybe, but all I knw is that mambas have 100percent mortality rate(it's d only snake dat has 100% mortality rate...........very aggressive, fast and dangerous

Yes you're right, it is the most dangerous snake known to man but not the most venomous, it isn't even in the top 5 snakes with lowest LD ( lethal dose ) , however it is a very aggressive and angry snake delivering multiple bites in a single strike and all bites are envenomed
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
Crixina:
hold up! are you guys all saying there are snakes that are non venomous?

if they are, what do they do, just live and be slimy? the first thing i think when i hear snake is venomous, so if they are some non venomous ones, it's disappointing.

In fact only 10% of all snake species are venomous
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Hiz234(m): 5:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
Oh boy see meat.....did I hear u say "buried" ? I've killed and ate lots of it in the past! Chai..... If only u sabi am![center][/center][right][/right]
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Thoughty2(m): 5:38pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dexema:

Salmonella
thanks
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2016
FuckTheMods:
.guy is it true that even when the snake is dead, the venom is still active?

The venom is active over years

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by madgoat(m): 6:05pm On Jul 06, 2016
Movingcoil:
It seems we do have this type of snakes here a lot , it is very common here at umuahia abia state. I've googled to search for its type but I saw it is not black mamba or Eastern Brown snake. I did kill and bury this cos I felt it came for my kitten. How venomous is it? Anybody knowledgeable should please help out.

OP, next time be very careful how u hold the head of a snake even if it has been cut off from the body. The head of a snake can still bite by reflex and inject venom up to 30 minutes after apparent death of the snake. U can google it to find out the fact. Pple have died bcoz of snake bite from holding an apparent dead snake head.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by adeboizy11(m): 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2016
[i][/i]Where is your current location?[b][/b]

Movingcoil:

Oga I no dey do show biz ooooo..... I only catch or kill the ones that threaten my existence or that of the pets that I have and depending on who is around me then cos too much catch catch release fit give you a very diabolical name cos where I stay most people here are not exposed so well to wildlife issues.
Like I was talking with some boy this morning as I went to buy something, from his stories of when he was bitten by a snake, it is obvious he either got a dry bite or the snake wasn't venomous but the mamba I feared that may be here always give a good overdose of its neurotoxin and the boy didn't get the rubbery or metallic taste.
Pit viper is here.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by adeboizy11(m): 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2016
Where is your current location?[b][/b]

Movingcoil:

Pit viper is here.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by itzsniper(m): 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2016
Movingcoil:
This snakes are just much here, I don't normally kill them just thAt this one crossed the line. I released these ones when I caught them.
I just noticed that I released a viper back in backyard.
u hold snake for hand like dz? bros I dey fear u pass book haram I swear
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by ekenedilichukwu: 6:41pm On Jul 06, 2016
its a called "Garden Snake" and they are not venomous. They are very good in reducing the population of rats and rodents.

when I moved into this new place that was vacant for somany years and had rat problem. After consulting with the pest control guy, he recommended garden snakes. I less than 3 months, with 2 garden snakes, my rat problem was solved.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by kirchofff(m): 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2016
neoapocalypse:

Yes you're right, it is the most dangerous snake known to man but not the most venomous, it isn't even in the top 5 snakes with lowest LD ( lethal dose ) , however it is a very aggressive and angry snake delivering multiple bites in a single strike and all bites are envenomed
yeah......that's so true, but d funniest thing is people think they are black just as its name implies grin
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by obiak4(m): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2016
[quote author=Movingcoil post=47251164]
No rattle snakes in Nigeria just mamba, some cobras even spitting cobra and some kind of viper.I've met the viper.[/quote

Please before making sweeping statement travel like ajala the traveller
That said visit benue state the following LGA UKUM., zakibiam, LOGO LGA ugba, anyiin, Yoja, ayinlamo, WANNUNE BENUE
Also a PLACE in taraba called alufu,
buratai snake farm is a joke

HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY 3 DIFFERENT SPECIES AND STING BY SCORPION MYSTEROUSLY SURVIVED
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Crixina(f): 8:19pm On Jul 06, 2016
ekenedilichukwu:
its a called "Garden Snake" and they are not venomous. They are very good in reducing the population of rats and rodents.

when I moved into this new place that was vacant for somany years and had rat problem. After consulting with the pest control guy, he recommended garden snakes. I less than 3 months, with 2 garden snakes, my rat problem was solved.
you brought a snake to reduce your rat problem, what happened to otapiapia?

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Crixina(f): 8:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
now, i understand why some towns have snakes wandering around their houses and don't bite, i guess they are non-venomous, but they used to make it sound like some deity or something.
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by dkronicle(m): 8:32pm On Jul 06, 2016
ekenedilichukwu:

were u sleeping in thesame house ?

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Irishrena1(f): 8:36pm On Jul 06, 2016
And you held it by its head like that
Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 06, 2016
[quote author=obiak4 post=47274310][/quote]
Congrats.
None of those things Don do me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Fabricate Sound Proof Noise Cancellation Box For Generator (vid) / New working MTN 20GB And 25700naira Cheat For 20naira Only With Photo / Monitor Lizard Disturbing My Neighborhood Killed At Last(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.