Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:50 PM

Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others (19003 Views)

Governor Yahaya Bello Commissions A Transformer As His First Project in Kogi.PIC / Soldiers Sack Agatu Villages, Kill Pregnant Woman, Five Others- The Punch / BREAKING: Boko Haram IED Explodes, Kills Four People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by dre11(m): 7:41am On Jul 06, 2016
Adelani Adepegba, Abuja

There was pandemonium at the Tundunwada area of Lugbe, a satellite town in the Federal Capital Territory when a transformer exploded and electrocuted six persons, including a pregnant woman who recently moved into her house in the area.

About four persons were also said to have been injured during the incident, including a six-year-old boy, Destiny Okolo, who suffered injuries on his face and left ear.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the transformer was on fire for about 10 minutes during which it sent devastating electric current to some residential apartments in the area.

Our correspondent, who visited the community on Tuesday, gathered that the incident happened around 9pm on Saturday.

Abuja Electricity Distribution Company officials were seen investigating the incident and pacifying the residents in the locality.

Findings indicate that the pregnant woman, whose name could not be immediately ascertained, wanted to switch off her fan when she was electrocuted. Her son was said to have raised the alarm which alerted her neighbours to her death.

The lad was said to have been taken to a Catholic church pending when his father, who is a resident in Lagos, would arrive in Abuja.

Geoffrey Atoh, 24, whose friend, Joseph Terva, was electrocuted, explained that the victim was about stepping out of his apartment when he was killed.

“We were outside when the transformer exploded and started burning for about 10 minutes. Everyone was afraid and started running helter-skelter. It was later that I heard that my friend, Joseph, was electrocuted. We rushed down to his house and found that he had died,” Atoh explained.

Donald Dooga, who lost his brother, Joseph Moses, 22, told our correspondent that his sibling died before they could get him to the hospital.

Dooga said Moses was electrocuted as he was about changing the fuse of his electricity switchboard when he saw the blaze from the transformer.

He said, “When Joseph saw the explosion and the huge fire from the transformer, he rushed to the switchboard to change the fuse, but he was electrocuted in the process. Somebody told me that my brother had been electrocuted, so, we rushed him to the hospital, but he died on the way.”

He said the deceased had just completed his secondary school education and was working as a barber to raise money to further his education.
“We have informed our parents in Benue and we will take him there for burial soon,” he added.

Little Destiny was recuperating at home when our correspondent visited, but his father said he had spent over N11,000 on medical bills.

His mother said she was on the verandah when she felt electricity current passing through the floor tiles.

“We attempted to run from the house, but the electric current injured Destiny in the face and behind the ear. Another person, Edwin Joseph, was also injured in the waist,” she said.

A survivor, Donald Terlumun, said he was dozing in his room when screams outside. He added that his room was vibrating and as he made to leave the house, he was jolted by the electric current.

He said, “As I made to step out, the door shocked me and threw me against the wall. I shouted and made for the door again and the next thing was that I was flung outside where I hit my face on the ground. I later opened my eyes to find myself in the hospital.”

Terlumun who had a swollen face and some cuts, stated that he had spent N20,800 on hospital bills.

His neighbour, Nathaniel Nyinjo, blamed the AEDC for the incident, saying they had visited the community and promised to compensate the injured.

He said, “The AEDC has already admitted its fault and promised to visit us during the Sallah holiday. But if they failed to compensate the injured and the families of the deceased, they should forget about restoring power around here and we will take them to court.”

Another survivor, Pius Moses, who was injured in both feet, said he had spent N14,500 to treat his injuries.

There were conflicting reports about the number of the dead. While a community leader, Felix Omeje, put the number of the dead at six, the community’s chief security officer, Geoffrey Ukeje, said he personally took three dead bodies to the hospital, noting that only four persons were injured.

Omeje blamed the AEDC for the tragedy, attributing the explosion to a wrong connection by the power firm.

The Head, Corporate Communications and Community Relations, AEDC, Mr. Oyebode Fadipe, said investigation had commenced into the incident.

He declined to speak about compensations for the victims until the cause of the accident had been established and a decision taken by the management.

http://punchng.com/abuja-transformer-explodes-kills-pregnant-woman-five-others/

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Zico5(m): 7:47am On Jul 06, 2016
Nigeria on the brink. Nothing is working, everywhere is unsafe. What is even the benefit of privatization that some of these glorified thieves were clamoring for then. No provision of new transformers to replace the old ones. Which way forward in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by tollytexy(m): 7:48am On Jul 06, 2016
RIP 2 D Dead
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by justi4jesu(f): 7:48am On Jul 06, 2016
cry cry
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Btruth: 7:48am On Jul 06, 2016
#Jesu! shocked.

Ki Oluwa ma je ki eyi ti ako ro, ko ba eyi ti aro je.

....Lord please, continue to protect us from unexpected death in Jesus name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by STALINN: 7:49am On Jul 06, 2016
His neighbour, Nathaniel Nyinjo, blamed the AEDC for the incident, saying they had visited the community and promised to compensate the injured.

He said, “The AEDC has already admitted its fault and promised to visit us during the Sallah holiday. But if they failed to compensate the injured and the families of the deceased, they should forget about restoring power around here and we will take them to court.”

There were conflicting reports about the number of the dead. While a community leader, Felix Omeje, put the number of the dead at six, the community’s chief security officer, Geoffrey Ukeje, said he personally took three dead bodies to the hospital, noting that only four persons were injured.

Omeje blamed the AEDC for the tragedy, attributing the explosion to a wrong connection by the power firm.

If things are in order this incidence wouldn't have happened, rest in peace to the dead. Unfortunately AEDC won't do anything and would not even compensate victim's family. You decide to sue them in Nigerian court that takes centuries before getting justice and at cost most of victims family can't afford. Once again RIP to the dead and pray the injured for quick recovery.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 06, 2016
Rip to the death !!
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by korel9: 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
Buhari why? sad

You gave us the rocket science minister of darkness and now this?

RIP to the dead.

Quote me -vely and have the transformer in your area blow too angry

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by ibe9ja: 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
Useless country. Light una no gry give. Na to kill people una sabi. May the spirit of the dead hunt PDP and APC.

10 Likes

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Proffdada: 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
So sad.
RIP to the dead cry
This is the product of amateur jumping of fuse terminals on the transformer otherwise the circuit would've been broken before it got to any house

5 Likes

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by bonechamberlain(m): 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
Na wa o. The disco must compensate all those injured and the family of the dead. For ten minutes this happened and they couldn't switch off powerangry
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Daniel058(m): 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
Ah!
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Tunami(m): 7:50am On Jul 06, 2016
Jiaa rip to the dead
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by lokito: 7:51am On Jul 06, 2016
Well as long as people are still suffering in this country na Buhari cause this one. Shikena

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by tollytexy(m): 7:51am On Jul 06, 2016
Lacomus:
Rip to the death !!

Yes oo.. Rip to the deaths sef lol

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Harmored(m): 7:51am On Jul 06, 2016
mtcheew buhari self

R.I.P
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 06, 2016
Wahala! Strange happenings in this part of the world.

Lord have mercy

1 Like

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by smartmoses(m): 7:52am On Jul 06, 2016
PHCN alwz buy fake transformer to Nigeria.Buhari and EFFC must probe them.
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by sugardad1(m): 7:52am On Jul 06, 2016
May their souls rest in peace, Amen
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by smartmoses(m): 7:52am On Jul 06, 2016
smartmoses:
PHCN alwz buy fake transformer to Nigeria.Buhari and EFFC must probe them.
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Vendoor(f): 7:53am On Jul 06, 2016
R.I.P to the dead
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by matrix199(m): 7:53am On Jul 06, 2016
Quite unfortunate
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Btruth: 7:53am On Jul 06, 2016
tollytexy:

Yes oo.. Rip to the deaths sef lol
...lol.

He meant RIP to the dead nii oooo. smiley
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by genuinechimere(m): 7:54am On Jul 06, 2016
Eyaaah!! Pathetic! God help everyone involved
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Obago1000: 7:56am On Jul 06, 2016
Now that's scary. So electric transformers can explode at anytime and affect people in their homes??

1 Like

Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by canDy4eva(f): 7:56am On Jul 06, 2016
When will anything be done right in Nigeria without taking human life
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by davibid: 7:57am On Jul 06, 2016
Fashola and Lai Mohammed must have something to say ....

grin
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 06, 2016
Explains why there hasn't been light for days now.
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by tgabs: 7:57am On Jul 06, 2016
Its a pity. May God recieve their souls. Amen.
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by deloon(m): 7:58am On Jul 06, 2016
Results of incompetence.
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by Onyenna(m): 7:59am On Jul 06, 2016
This is BAD mehn!

May they Rest In Peace. .......
Re: Abuja Transformer Explodes, Kills Pregnant Woman, Five Others by omoadeleye(m): 8:01am On Jul 06, 2016
Kai

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo 2020: PDP Says Ize-Iyamu Is Now A Lone Ranger / Twenty Years After, Sanwo-Olu Relaunches, Expands Jigi-bola Programme / EFCC Freezes Bola Shagaya’s N500m Account Over Patience Jonathan's Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.