Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera (21777 Views)

NAME The Nairalanders Writers And Their Stories That Made U Read All Night / NAME the Nairalanders writers And Their Stories That Made U Read All Night / About The Book "We Are All Biafrans" And Chido Onumah, The Author (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 3:59pm On Jul 06, 2016
I will update the stories as I continue reading the book. The stories were so inspiring and I felt like I shouldn't be reading this alone. Even if I do not get any audience: It is a good thing to keep it in my archive, I will always revert to it.
Please let's share the moral of this stories together. We are all here to learn, aren't we?
Let's go:
Building A Positive Attitude.
There was a man who made a living selling balloons at a fair. He had all colors of balloons, including red, yellow, blue and green. Whenever business was slow, he would release a helium-filled balloon into the air and when the children saw it go up, they all wanted to buy one. They would come to him, buy a balloon and his sales would go up again. He continues the process all day. One day, he felt someone tugging at his jacket. He turned around and saw a little boy who asked, "If you release a black balloon, would that also fly? Moved by the boy's concern, the man replied with empathy. "Son, it is not the colour of the balloon, it is what is inside it that makes it go up."

The same thing applies to our lives. No matter the type of person we are, it is what is inside that counts.

1 Like

Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2016
That is the first one, there are still tons of it trust me. God bless you as you follow. Enjoy.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 4:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
[b]2.
ACRES OF DIAMOND.
There was a farmer in Africa who was happy and content. He was happy because he was content. He was content because he was happy. One day a wise man came to him and told him about the glory of diamonds and the power that goes along with them. The wise man said, "If you had a diamond the size of your thumb, you could have your own city. If you have the diamond the size of your fist, you could probably own your country," and then he went away. That night the farmer couldn't sleep. He was unhappy and he was discontent. He was unhappy because he was discontent and discontent because he was unhappy.
The next morning he made arrangements to sell off his farm, took care of his family and went in search of diamonds. He looked all over Africa and couldn't find any. He looked all through Europe and couldn't find any. When he got to Spain, he was emotionally, physically and financially broke. He got so disheartened that he threw himself into the Barcelona River and committed suicide.
Back home, the person who had bought his farm was watering the camels at a stream that ran through the farm. Across the stream, the rays of the morning sun hit a stone and made it sparkle like a rainbow. He thought he would look good on the mantle piece. He picked up the stone and put it in the living room. That afternoon the wise man came and saw the stone sparkling. He asked, "is Hafiz back?" The new owner said, "No, why do you ask?" The wise man said, "Because that is a diamond. I recognize one when I see one." The man said, no, that's just a stone I picked up from the stream. Come, I'll show you. There are many more." They went and picked some samples and sent them for analysis. Sure enough, the stone were diamond. They found that the farm was indeed covered with acres and acres of diamonds.[/b]
When people don't know how to recognize opportunity, they complain of noise when it knocks.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 4:30pm On Jul 06, 2016
Dear Silent readers, are you not yet to be convinced? Well... Let's continue.
Lalasticlala. Please help me move this topic to front page. I don't think I should be the only one reading this book. Thanks.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 4:41pm On Jul 06, 2016

DAVID AND GOLIATH REDEFINED
We all know the story of David and Goliath. This is a pre-action of it. There was a giant bullying and harassing the children in the village. One day, a 17-year-old shepherd boy came to visit his brothers and asked, "Why don't you stand up and fight the giant?" The brothers were terrified and they replied, "Don't you see he is too big to hit?" But David said, "No, he is not too big to hit, he is too big to miss." The rest is history. We all know what happened. David killed the giant with a sling. Same giant, different perception.

Our attitude determines how we look at a setback. To a positive thinker, it can be a stepping stone to success. To a negative thinker, it can be a stumbling block.

cc: Obinnau

1 Like

Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by teamplayey: 4:56pm On Jul 06, 2016
@ Op: Please continue
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 5:05pm On Jul 06, 2016

4. LOOKING FOR THE GOLD
As a young scots boy, Andrew Carnegie came to America and started doing odd jobs. He ended up as the largest steel manufacturers in the United States.
At one time he had 43 millionaires working for him. Several decades ago, a million dollar used to be a lot of money; even today it is a lot of money. Someone asked Mr. Carnegie how he dealt with people? Andrew replied, "Dealing with people is like digging gold: when you go digging for an ounce of gold, you have to move tons of dirt to get an ounce of gold. But when you go digging, you don't go looking for dirt, you go looking for the gold."

What is your focus? Become a digger for gold. If you are looking for what is wrong with people or with things, you will find many. What are you looking for? Andre Carnegie's reply has a very important message. Now go and look for the gold in your wife.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 5:16pm On Jul 06, 2016

5. SOME PEOPLE ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE NEGATIVE - Part I
Robert Fulton invented the steamboat. On the banks of the Hudson River he was displaying his new invention. The pessimists and the skeptics were gathered around to observe. They commented that it would never start. Lo and behold, it did. As it made its way down the river, the pessimists who said it would never go, started shouting that it would never stop. What an attitude.
Someone once said that giving a dam_n to what other people thinks about you is one step to failure, they may be right.

1 Like

Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 5:17pm On Jul 06, 2016
teamplayey:
@ Op: Please continue
Have a sit sir, will you?

1 Like

Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2016

6. SOME PEOPLE ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE NEGATIVE - PART II

[I]There was a hunter who bought a bird dog, the only one of its kind in the world. That could walk on water. He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw this miracle. At the same time, he was very pleased that he could show off his new acquisition to his friends. He invited a friend to go duck hunting. After some time, they shot a few ducks and the man ordered his dog to run and fetch the birds. All day-long, the dog ran on water and kept fetching the birds. The owner was expecting a comment or a compliment about his amazing dog, but never got one. As they were returning home, he asked his friend if he had noticed anything unusual about his dog. The friend replied, "Yes, in fact, I did notice something unusual. Your dog can't swim."[/i]

Like seriously, why should a dog know how to swim when he can just walk on the water?
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 5:42pm On Jul 06, 2016
SELECTIVE LISTENING

A medical doctor was invited as a guest speaker to address a group of alcoholics. He wanted to make a demonstration that would be powerful enough to make people realize that alcohol was injurious to their health. He had two containers, one with pure distilled water and one with pure alcohol. He put an earthworm into the distilled water and it swam beautifully and came up to the top. He put another earthworm into the alcohol and it disintegrated in front of everyone's eyes. He wanted to prove that this was what alcohol did to the insides of our body. He asked the group what the moral of the story was and one person from behind said, "if you drink alcohol you won't have worms in your stomach."

Was that the message? Of course not. That was selective listening-- some people hear what they want to hear and not what is being said.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 6:02pm On Jul 06, 2016

EDUCATION DOES NOT MEAN GOOD JUDGEMENT.

There is a story about a man who sold hot dogs by the roadside, so he never listened to the radio. His eyes were weak, so he never watched television. But enthusiastically, he sold lots of hot dogs. His sales and profit went up. He ordered more meat and got himself a bigger and a better stove. As his business was growing, the son, who had recently graduated from college, joined his father.
Then something strange happened. The son asked, "Dad, aren't you aware of the great recession coming our way?" The father replied, "No, but tell me about it." The son said, "The international situation is terrible. The domestic is even worse. We should be prepared for the coming bad time." The man thought that since his son had been to the college, read the papers and listened to radio, he ought to know and his advice should not to be taken lightly. So the next day, the father cut down his order for the meat and buns, took down the sign and was no longer enthusiastic. Very soon, fewer and fewer people bothered to stop at his hot dog stand. And his sales started coming down rapidly. The father said to his son, "Son, you were right. We are in the middle of recession. I am glad you warned me ahead of time."

The tragedy is that there are many walking encyclopedias who are living creature. I was come across a book: "How to become a millionaire in a month" and the book is sold at $2, Three hundred and fifty naira equivalent.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 6:21pm On Jul 06, 2016

9. SHARPEN YOUR EDGES

Jo John, a woodcutter, worked for a company for five years but never got a raise. The company hired Bill and within a year he got a raise. This caused resentment in John and went to his boss to talk about it. The boss said, "You are still cutting the same number of trees you were cutting five years ago. We are a result-oriented company and would be happy to give you a raise if your productivity goes up." John went back, started hitting harder and putting longer hours but he still wasn't able to cut more trees. He went back to his boss and told him is dilemma. The boss told John to go and talk to bill. "Maybe there is something Bill knows that you and I don't." John asked Bill how he managed to cut more trees. Bill answered, "After every tree I cut, I take a break for two minutes and sharpen my axe. When was the last time you sharpened your axe?" This question hit home like a bullet and John got his answer.

Just like our bodies need good food everyday, our minds need good thoughts everyday. We need to feed our mind with the pure and positive to stay on track.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by DY20: 6:35pm On Jul 06, 2016
Till tomorrow..

2 Likes

Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by Guly1976: 6:32am On Jul 21, 2023
Welcome fellow seekers on the path of spiritual growth and self-discovery! Today we delve into the various stages that shape our spiritual journey. These steps have the power to illuminate our souls and guide us towards a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us. If you are curious about these transformative phases and eager to delve deeper into them then you have come to the right place spiritual journey stages Here we delve into the intricacies of the stages of the spiritual journey while gleaning insight from the wisdom and stories shared on this incredible site.
Re: Short Stories That Can Shape Your Life In The Book: You Can Win - Shiv Khera by webworkers: 5:33am On Mar 14
Yes, Always focus on improving yourself.

(1) (Reply)

Collins Oscar Shares His Wedding Photos, Responds To Critics / Victoria's Secret / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 45th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.